TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Liverpool definitely deserved the win today...as a neutral though, there's still something stopping me from wanting them to dethrone United.

But speaking of diving, how about Gamst Pederson's effort today...comedy!

Gerrard does dive quite a bit, but that was about as clear cut a penalty as you'll see. Evra swept his legs right out while in full stride.

With Vidic out for a while, maybe it ain't over for us.

Yeah Evra was sliding, but Gerrard was already going down. Everytime he runs into the area he's either looking to shoot or get a penalty. Gamst Pederson however... well... what a twat haha

Back in t'championship, Luke Varney has joined on loan and Laws has already mentioned a permanent deal. Dunno what franchise thinks with his utter failure at Derby but I've always thought he was ok. As long as this doesn't mean shoving Tudgay out wide again, as that cocks up most our attacking play.

Is it cool if I talk MLS here?

I caught the New York/Seattle game last night, was my first experience with MLS and soccer on a whole(besides the world cup and bits and pieces of last years UEFA) Like the energy, the game was fun to watch.

My question is: how does MLS stack up, globally, to other leagues? I'd imagine it's a bit like the minor leagues compared to the european leagues and the like.

Yeah its cool to talk MLS here, if anything I should probably learn more about it. MLS would probably range from English Championship (the top two teams LA and Columbus Crew) to English 1st Division (rest of the league). There are few stars in MLS but there wouldn't live up to English Premier League standards, if anything a lot of EPL cast offs end up in MLS.

What I find odd is that every team has a development club under their franchise to develop players, then those players go into a draft pool. Its like a forced college system just so they can recreate the buzz of the draft from other American sports. In the rest of the world, mostly, teams will develop players from a young age at their academy and keep them.

The Galaxy are unfortunately a very bad team.

Landon Donovan's probably the only player in MLS who could play for any Prem club, excepting the top four. That said, we have sent players over to Europe who can also play for many Prem clubs, and possibly in the case of Jozy Altidore, a player who will be able to play for any club in the world.

I know Eddie Johnson was bought by Fulham and is now playing for Cardiff, but trust me, he's shit.

Landon Donovan's probably the only player in MLS who could play for any Prem club, excepting the top four.

Can't see it ever happening though, nobody would pay the money for a permanent deal and I doubt the MLS lets him go on Loan for a season.

Ade Akinbiyi's the latest championship clogging veteran to be linked with a move to the US. That says a lot about the standard, unfortunately. Do they use a draft system with youth players coming through colleges?

The Galaxy are unfortunately a very bad team.

Landon Donovan's probably the only player in MLS who could play for any Prem club, excepting the top four. That said, we have sent players over to Europe who can also play for many Prem clubs, and possibly in the case of Jozy Altidore, a player who will be able to play for any club in the world.

I know Eddie Johnson was bought by Fulham and is now playing for Cardiff, but trust me, he's shit.

Funny you mention him, I bought him from Villareal for 3.8m on Football Manager several seasons ago, and he's a total beast up front for me now. But as for MLS, when the likes of Daniel Dichio and Darren Huckerby are some of the leading stars of the league, then its pretty hard to say its 'up there' with some of the other leagues in the world.

Of course you'll have one or two who can make it in European leagues - mainly Belgium and German leagues - as any country is going to have one or two players who turn out to be world beaters.

Do they use a draft system with youth players coming through colleges?

Yes. Sometimes there are players who are good enough to come straight into the league, but there aren't very many. Altidore would be one of those. Eddie Johnson is a headcase, but his physical talents are about as good as you'll find. Adu's still a good one, but he plays for a shit club with a shit coach that refuses to play him despite performing well in the limited appearances he's received. At Benfica he was really good and had the same problem. Maybe because he's really small and not that fast. Dunno. He plays really well for our national team, even being our best players when going up against Spain last year, so I just don't understand it.

I wouldn't exactly call Dichio and Huckerby top players in this league. Huckerby may be the best player on his team, but that team only came back into existence last season. The best players in MLS are Donovan, Kenny Cooper, Juan Pablo Angel, Schelotto, and Sasha Kljestan. All of those are players who have had their day or will have their day in the future. All things considered, Beckham is shit in this league and it isn't from a lack of effort on his part. It ain't up with the best leagues and never will be, but it is a growing league which will find it's way through buying young South Americans and selling them for a great profit. They've already started on that front.

And great win over Villa today, btw.

Not seen much of the MLS but Beckham's really impressed me for England recently and still looks a class above when he comes on, but that probably says a lot about the rest of the English team. Not watched him in Italy as yet but he seems to be doing the business as part of an aged Milan side, so fair enough. Looks like he kept fit in the MLS at any rate. I suppose there is an argument for less glamorous veterans like Huckerby & Angel going over there, with the standard being lower at present, especially if they influence the coaching side of things.

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool win the Premiership this season and finally breaking their duck after however many years it's been (18? 19?). The other part of me, besides the United part, doesn't.

I mean, can you imagine it? Last day of the season. Anfield. Thousands of Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Gerrard and Carragher, hometown players, winning their first Premiership title. Most successful club in English football back on top of the league. And Rafael Benitez standing there with a face like a smacked arse taking notes in that pad of his.

Seems like people are finally switching onto it. He's not a 'proper' football person. Or at least not the football person English fans like. He doesn't celebrate, ever, he just as I've heard it described "sits there, nods his head and thinks to himself, 'ah yes, this seems to be going as I planned it, very good'." Where's the passion? The enjoyment? It's all too scientific and clinical. And yet he's got this cult following from the Liverpool fans. I don't get it.

There's been times this season where Liverpool have been handed games with all that 'extra' time added on until they've scored, dubious free kicks and penalties awarded from Gerrard dives, etc. However, despite all that, I wouldn't care - fuck Man U. The more clips of Ronaldo crying like a bitch the better.

There's been times this season where Liverpool have been handed games with all that 'extra' time added on until they've scored, dubious free kicks and penalties awarded from Gerrard dives, etc.

I wouldn't mind any of that if you cut to Benitez at the end having a little wink and a smirk on the bench and saying "how's about that then, bit jammy eh?" (preferably in a Cockney accent, since that'd be most amusing) in the post match interview. Anything to show a little personality.

It's like the polar opposite of Chelsea to me. Everything surrounding the club, no. Mourinho, fine.

Exciting times in the Premiership. Liverpool looked to have lost their momentum after the international break, then Benayoun knocks in the injury-time winner and the race is still alive. Then today, Macheda, who I had never heard of, scores in injury time to get MUFC the three points.

Attention Football Fans!

Obi Chris Kenobi and myself have set up a brand new football forum, we decided football shouldn't be kept to just one thread! So no matter where you're from, come along and check out Soccer Is Football.

http://soccerisfootball.net/

Just sign up and start posting, none of this waiting to be authorised jokes!

We're still making the forum better and changing things but a good forum needs some good posters for it to truly get started!

So even though we're changing things and improving things every day, the forum is still open. So bookmark us and check back every day.

What we want to do also is get a Match Day Threads situation going. Sort of like a 'The OaO Raw Thread for 4/13!' but every single match day!

cheers.

Glad you made it. I'm sure the forum guys won't mind the advertising here as its not like there's anybody else who posts in this thread besides the people who run the place we're advertising.

I hope we get a few turn up at 3pm on Saturday (GMT!) for our Match Day Chat!