TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman 617

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

SPOILERS

Yes it's official, after nearly a year of speculation Hush is Jason Todd. What a goddamned pathetic resolution. After being given modern-day classics like NML and BW:M? from the Bat-Group in the last few years, I guess we were due for a dissapointment, but this... God, this is the same guy who gave us TLH and DV?

I'm disgusted. I'm disgusted at Scarecrow's half-assed cameo, I'm disgusted in the Catwoman/Batman relationship. I'm disgusted at Loeb. I'm disgusted at my self for buying this arc.

It's not even the bringing back of Todd itself that sucks so much, (Even though it damages Batman's character greatly.) it's that we were promised a great resolution. This feels like shit Marvel used to do in X-Men and Spider-Man in the late 90's.

I guess if they keep Jason on as a recurring villain, I can live with it, but... if this was just shock value then this whole arc was a waste, and the follow up arc coming after the Allarzaro and Risso team ahs their 6 months will be the cherry on top.

Guest Mattdotcom

I missed out on the issue with Nightwing, and I won't bother tracking it down or finishing the arc. If it turns out good, I'll get the inevitable trade paperback. If I was a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR HARDCORE instead of just a big fan, I'd probably be ashamed to call my car the Mattmobile.

But that name's too awesome.

Zsasz, I'd appreciate it if you kept up wit the rest of the arc and provided a short summary of #617 for me.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Summary: Batman 617

In an apparant gesture of trust, Batman allows Catwoman into the Bat-Cave. She discovers Robin watching them as they analyze clues in the Hush mystery. They have a short scrap and Batman tells Robin he trusts Catwoman. Robin is angry, and Catwoman decides to get some air. Little does she know the whole thing was a ruse to get her out of the Cave and on the streets so they can use her as bait for Hush. Huntress, strung out on Scarecrow fear drugs attacks Selina, and while Batman captures Scarecrow, Hush takes down Robin.

Scarecrow races towards a graveyard that is, according to Bats, supposed to be a secret. There Batmnan is confronted by Hush who is revealed to be... JASON TODD.

Guest Flyboy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I KNEW IT~! IN YOUR FACE, ZSASZ!

-- CJ

Y'know, I've bought any new comics in MONTHS, but I might just pick this one up. And now that Todd is revealed as Hush, where does the storyline go from here?

Guest Crucifixio Jones
I'm disgusted. I'm disgusted at Scarecrow's half-assed cameo, I'm disgusted in the Catwoman/Batman relationship. I'm disgusted at Loeb. I'm disgusted at my self for buying this arc.

It's not even the bringing back of Todd itself that sucks so much, (Even though it damages Batman's character greatly.) it's that we were promised a great resolution. This feels like shit Marvel used to do in X-Men and Spider-Man in the late 90's.

If I hadn't been telling you these very things since the START of the arc, I'd post it now. But as is, you did a good job of summing up my feelings 6 MONTHS AGO. Hate to toot my own horn but...

I told you so.

Guest HHH123007

So is this official?...or could Todd still be a pawn in this whole thing?

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I'm thinking it's just a ruse to draw some attention to the book and for DC to get tons of hate mail and people to threaten to cancel their subscriptions all over one little frame of artwork. Comic fans are overly-emotional, fickle and testy. DC is working them and playing on their emotions. Denny O'Neil has always maintained that Jason Todd is NEVER coming back and I, for one, believe him.

I think everyone is gonna feel like jackasses for being so upset and jumping to conclusions when this whole Todd thing turns out to be another "I know everything about you Bats" ploy perpetrated by the real "HUSH." For all we know, this could some guy dressed up like Todd or *gasp* another one of the endless parade of Batman's rogues, like we've seen in the previous nine issues.

I wouldn't put my money on this being Jason Todd FOR SURE just yet.

Guest Joe

You know there are still two issues left in this arc...So it's VERY possible that this is just another twist in the story...It could very well just be Batman hallucinating that it's Todd, thanks to some mind work from the real Hush...

Oh how awesome of a twist would that be at this point? It would mean Todd's still dead and there's still this great potential for who Hush is (and it would be great cause everybody who is so mad about Todd being Hush now, we'd all look stupid)...

Guest Flyboy

All I want to know is, what's the deal with this Hush character? I know no one knows who it is (we ASSUME it's Todd), but how does this person fit into the whole storyline? How did the character come about? I have the money to go get every issue in the arc, but don't feel like hunting down each issue.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
All I want to know is, what's the deal with this Hush character? I know no one knows who it is (we ASSUME it's Todd), but how does this person fit into the whole storyline? How did the character come about? I have the money to go get every issue in the arc, but don't feel like hunting down each issue.

Hush - A master manipulator who has been stalking Batman since he foiled a kidnapping attempt ten months ago. His MO is that he uses Batman's deadliest foes in unique and different ways. (I.E: Killer Croc in a kidanpping, Harley Quinn robbing the opera, The Riddler being used as a riddle himself to Hush's identity.) Hush has been seen in the same garb that Jason Todd was wearing when he unmasked.

NOTE: It's possible the fear gas from Scarecrow made Batman see Jason.

Guest Flyboy

Much thanks, Zsasz. HOLY SHIT. I have the Harley-Opera comic. I didn't know it had anything to do with Hush. Does Selena get hurt at the end of it?

Guest HellSpawn

Well, maybe is...

Jason Todd's clone !!!!

Well, after that cruel idea. I do remember Denny said Jason is DEAD.

They are following Marvel's path. Bringin back a DEAD guy... like the clone or green goblin.

Right now, this HUSH thing is becoming from the hottest $#!T to simply $#!T.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Much thanks, Zsasz. HOLY SHIT. I have the Harley-Opera comic. I didn't know it had anything to do with Hush. Does Selena get hurt at the end of it?

Selina is shot in the shoulder but it isn't too serious.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Right now, this HUSH thing is becoming from the hottest $#!T to simply $#!T.

It's ironic that the more this arc pisses people off, the more it sells.

Guest Prototype450

Wow, I said it Hush was Todd in another thread as a joke. I was accidentally correct.

If my mind serves me right which it does half of the time, didn't Jason Todd get beat within an inch of his life by the Joker and left to die in an explosion?!

Or maybe it's a really, really sick joke by the Joker......

sorry, ;) Continue the serious conversation....

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Wow, I said it Hush was Todd in another thread as a joke. I was accidentally correct.

If my mind serves me right which it does half of the time, didn't Jason Todd get beat within an inch of his life by the Joker and left to die in an explosion?!

Or maybe it's a really, really sick joke by the Joker......

sorry, ;) Continue the serious conversation....

Yes, he was bludgeoned with a crowbar and killed trying to save his mother, who also died.

Guest Prototype450

WAIT, a crowbar?! This kid is taught how to fight guys with knives and swords and shit and gets shot at on a nightly basis. He probably knows several fighting styles. But he can't block or dodge a fucking crowbar?! What the fuck was Batman thinking when his protege goes down to fucking crowbar shots but he can take multiple stab and gunshot wounds and still manage to get the bad guy?

Comic books=One big mindfuck

Guest HellSpawn
Right now, this HUSH thing is becoming from the hottest $#!T  to simply $#!T.

At the beginning, The Clone Saga, was a big seller too.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Right now, this HUSH thing is becoming from the hottest $#!T  to simply $#!T.

At the beginning, The Clone Saga, was a big seller too.

Yeah, and if there weren't only two issues of Hush left, maybe that would mean something. Seriously, I'm not saying it's right, but as long as Jim Lee pencils this book it's gonna be #1 with a bullet.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

Um...you HAVE the comic, shouldn't you know? What made you just randomly buy a Batman comic w/o knowing it was part of the HUSH storyling anyway?

Since it seems you don't READ much, here's something that should've clued you in that you were indeed picking up a comic that was in the middle of the "HUSH" storyline arc.

1. Page 5 - It says "HUSH: Chapter Six - The Opera" in huge fucking letters at the top of the page.

You're welcome.

Guest HHH123007

This was posted at comicboards.com....

One loose Batman thread that has never been reconciled is the subject of Bruce's brother, Thomas Wayne (World's Finest 223, 227). Granted, the mention of an older brother goes back to pre-Crisis days, but people do still talk about from time to time. If "Hush" is referring to Bruce as the "pretender," rather than Tim Drake/Robin, then perhaps Hush is someone who feels as though HE should rightfully be Batman. If you re-read the second-to-the-last page of issue 617 carefully, Hush refers to Tim/Robin as "this . . . imposter . . ." -- the follow-on "pretender" line could be aimed at Bruce/Batman, rather than at Tim/Robin.

Add to this the fact that Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne Sr. first wore a Halloween costume that resembled Batman's costume -- Bruce patterned his Batman costume after his father's Halloween costume, in fact. If an older Wayne son considered the father to be the original "Batman," then the eldest son would also logically be the heir apparent to the Batman identity, or perhaps feel that they would have first rights to the sidekick "Robin" persona.

I personally would find the revelation of an insane older Wayne brother to be much a more plausible and acceptable resolution to Hush's identity than the resurrection of Jason Todd.

Just my $0.02 (yet again).

-- JCB

I believe this could be the answer. Thomas Wayne is an option in the poll on DC's website.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
This was posted at comicboards.com....

One loose Batman thread that has never been reconciled is the subject of Bruce's brother, Thomas Wayne (World's Finest 223, 227). Granted, the mention of an older brother goes back to pre-Crisis days, but people do still talk about from time to time. If "Hush" is referring to Bruce as the "pretender," rather than Tim Drake/Robin, then perhaps Hush is someone who feels as though HE should rightfully be Batman. If you re-read the second-to-the-last page of issue 617 carefully, Hush refers to Tim/Robin as "this . . . imposter . . ." -- the follow-on "pretender" line could be aimed at Bruce/Batman, rather than at Tim/Robin.

Add to this the fact that Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne Sr. first wore a Halloween costume that resembled Batman's costume -- Bruce patterned his Batman costume after his father's Halloween costume, in fact. If an older Wayne son considered the father to be the original "Batman," then the eldest son would also logically be the heir apparent to the Batman identity, or perhaps feel that they would have first rights to the sidekick "Robin" persona.

I personally would find the revelation of an insane older Wayne brother to be much a more plausible and acceptable resolution to Hush's identity than the resurrection of Jason Todd.

Just my $0.02 (yet again).

-- JCB

I believe this could be the answer. Thomas Wayne is an option in the poll on DC's website.

One problem with that is it's all PRE-CRISIS. So it doesn't matter now. This is POST-CRISIS. Whole different ballgame.

Guest Flyboy
Much thanks, Zsasz.  HOLY SHIT.  I have the Harley-Opera comic.  I didn't know it had anything to do with Hush.  Does Selena get hurt at the end of it?

Um...you HAVE the comic, shouldn't you know? What made you just randomly buy a Batman comic w/o knowing it was part of the HUSH storyling anyway?

Maybe because I didn't buy it?

Guest MrRant

Too much Pre this and Post that.

It makes my head hurt and scares me from picking up a book unless I buy back about 5 years ago and read from there all the way to now.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

It makes my head hurt and scares me from picking up a book unless I buy back about 5 years ago and read from there all the way to now.

CRISIS changed DC siginificantly and allowed creators to re-write history to improve their books.

What happened Pre-Crisis, doesn't affect Post-Crisis unless specifically told. No older brother was mentioned in Year One. (The Post Crisis origin for Bats) Thus, he doesn't exist.

Guest MrRant

CRISIS changed DC siginificantly and allowed creators to re-write history to improve their books.

What happened Pre-Crisis, doesn't affect Post-Crisis unless specifically told. No older brother was mentioned in Year One. (The Post Crisis origin for Bats) Thus, he doesn't exist.

So... the writers aren't good enough writers to build upon the past they had to rewrite it eh?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

So... the writers aren't good enough writers to build upon the past they had to rewrite it eh?

The opposite actually. The creators at that point didn't work with the continuity, some of which was BAD. So they gave each title a modern spin.

The one exception was Batman, where Denny O'Neil had been REVOLUTIONIZING comics for the last decade.

Superman, Flash, GL, hell the whole DC Universe was much better after Crisis.

Guest MrRant

Head... hurts.... almost as much as trying to figure out how Voyager fits into the ST universe.

Guest SP-1

I enjoyed the appearance of the Alan GL in one of the early HUSH flashbacks. That was awesome.

But then I'm a big GL mark.