TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zack Malibu

The O.C.

Guest Zack Malibu

MINOR SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT:

Just wondering who caught the premiere just now on FOX. I taped it, and watched it sparringly, but the pieces I saw came off really well to me. I like how they're (obviously) building a brotherly relationship between the lawyer's son and the new kid, with the way he saved him from getting tormented, etc.

Who saw, who liked, who didn't like, etc.?

Guest El Satanico

The pilot wasn't anything great, but most pilots aren't that great since they just set up the story.

It was interesting enough that I will give the show more of a chance now. So i suppose the pilot did it's job.

It's still too early to tell, but in 3 or 4 more episodes I should know if I like it or not.

Guest El Satanico
DAMN IT!

I missed it...any chance of a replay?

Thursday at i believe 9 pm

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Eh, since it's been advertised like a mother here in New York City and other places i'm sure, I decided to check it out.

Pretty decent, I liked it. I'll check it out next week...

Guest Vyce

Didn't bother with it.

It got ripped to shreds by Tom Shales, and there was a good Homicide rerun on TNT.

Guest Vern Gagne

Minor Spoilers

The outsider and some cliched tv preppy jock fight. It was such a paint by numbers scene. I stopped watching after that.

Guest starvenger

I refuse to watch something that replaced a fine show in Keen Eddie...

Guest Choken One

It didn't replace it.

Keen Eddie was Summer Program.

O.C was planned from the start to premire tonight since Early May.

Guest El Satanico

Speaking of Keen Eddie...is there any news on what will become of it now?

Guest starvenger

It didn't replace it.

Keen Eddie was Summer Program.

O.C was planned from the start to premire tonight since Early May.

Yeah, yeah, technicalities...

It's still a great show that deserves better than to be kicked around the schedule by Fox. I don't expect to see it around as a midseason replacement, but one can always hope.

Guest Choken One

If ratings were decent/good...it'll be a Mid-Season replacment if not...it's in the dumpster.

Guest ErekT2k

Seemed good, IMO. I actually wasn't gonna watch it but then I got bored so turned it on. Actually quite entertaining at some points.

Highlight for me was when the dad pointed at his son's crush and said it out loud.

Guest HBK16

I was waiting for this show to come on for a while now. Fuck! I missed it. I had to be watching COPS!

Guest oldschoolwrestling

Decent show. Next door neighbor's wife is hot in a Leah Remini sort of way.

Guest starvenger

In case anyone's wondering, the show did a 5.1/9 in the overnights, which isn't all that bad considering it's the summertime...

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Damn, 7.5 Million...

Decent, but probably not what FOX expected after all the hype.

Guest Vyce

I'm with the guy wanting to know more about Keen Eddie. What's going on? Will we get more of that show?

But back to OC, I find Kelly Rowan just delightful.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling
I really liked it. Although 20 year olds playing 16 year olds are so unvelievable. But I guess it's because they can't make 16 year olds smoke.

Ultra-hot Mischa Barton (who played Marissa) is only 16.

I really liked it. Although 20 year olds playing 16 year olds are so unvelievable. But I guess it's because they can't make 16 year olds smoke.

Um, we ARE talking about FOX, who had 30-year olds Gabrielle Carteris and Ian Ziering playing 16-year olds back in the day...

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

eh, the show was okay... but it's on at the same time as CSI, so I missed most of it.

Guest Joe

Caught the rerun last night (since Smackdown was pre-empted in New York)...

It's not the greatest show in the world, but it was entertaining for the hour and really that's all you can ask for, to be entertained...

Guest DonWestMark03

I thought the show was very interesting. I'm excited to see what happens in later episodes.

Guest SweetNSexyDiva
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcas...ino8aug08.story

'The O.C.' Riles Up Chino With Too Many Prime-Time Put-Downs

By Kristina Sauerwein

Times Staff Writer

August 8, 2003

The new prime-time soap opera "The O.C." isn't getting rave reviews in Chino.

In the show's inaugural episode Tuesday, the young and beautiful people of Orange County's Newport Beach took delight in bashing the city of Chino as a seedy backwater, where crass neighbors live in run-down homes with chain-link fences and lawns littered with weeds, tires and mattresses.

And residents of Chino are firing back.

Chino's city manager Thursday criticized Fox TV for its "irresponsible and inconsiderate" depiction of the San Bernardino County city as a hick town.

"As a result of a negative reference to the city of Chino in the program, our city has received numerous phone calls from outraged residents who are completely offended by the portrayal of Chino as a 'ghetto town' on the 'wrong side of the tracks,' " Chino City Manager Glen Rojas said in a letter to the network.

It was bad enough Tuesday night when "The O.C." premiered, portraying Newport Beach as an "idyllic paradise" and Chino as a spawning ground for thieves, drunks and other unpleasantness.

But for Fox TV to rebroadcast the episode last night?

"It just makes me mad," Rojas said.

Fox TV executives declined comment Thursday.

In the TV series, main character Ryan Atwood, played by Benjamin McKenzie, moves to glitzy Newport Beach from what the show portrays as gritty Chino, where he stole a car and his mother is a boozer.

The people he meets from Orange County are less than kind about his hometown.

"Why don't you just go back to Chino?" one guy tells him. "I'm sure there's a really nice car in the parking lot that you can steal."

"Chino?" one girls asks. "Eeewwwwww."

Rojas sighs. "The phone's going to be ringing."

Since the drama's debut, Rojas has received about 20 phone calls from insulted residents. He's bracing for more this morning.

"People here are upset by it," said Rojas, noting that the city has moved beyond its image of a dusty, smelly town with dairy farms and a state prison. "Those things are such a small part of Chino."

During the past seven years, the city has attracted shopping centers with tenants such as Borders, Nordstrom Rack, Target, Wal-Mart, On the Border Restaurant and Fresh Choice, a salad and soup bar. In some neighborhoods, homes can cost $600,000.

"Chino has moved away from the way it was negatively perceived," said Rojas, inviting Fox execs to tour the city and see for themselves.

Still, Rojas acknowledged that Chino lacks Orange County's upscale restaurants and retailers. He fears "The O.C." will scare people away, especially developers.

"We're on the verge of getting some higher-end businesses," such as a P.F. Chang's and Trader Joe's, Rojas said. "This kind of negative publicity doesn't help."

The Chino bashing attracted some angry responses on the show's Internet site. Under the heading "Why dog on Chino," city defenders boasted of all their neighborhoods have to offer and took jabs at the producers.

"No one I know in Chino lives in a shack with old tires and ratty furniture in the frontyard," one wrote. "Don't perpetuate negative stereotypes for a television show!!!! Do your due diligence and actually find out what a city is before you slam it nationally."

Times staff writer Kimi Yoshino contributed to this report.

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I thought so too! Except, I really wasn't into Russell Crow, but I really find this guy attractive. Hmmmm.....

Guest Choken One

I finally caught the show tonight and I'm hooked...Ryan is a Great lead but It's the Other guy that Makes the show...

I'm glad it's on a 8 on Mondays...at least SOMETHING will entertain me on Mondays...