TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Just J

The OaO 2003-2004 NBA Season Thread!

Guest Just J

Shaq has every right to tell Kobe what he did, but he should have told Kobe and not the media. This type of shit belongs in the locker room. But Shaq does have a very good point.

...just hope this will not be Polish CLIPPER FAN Rifle vs Johnson.

Raz, you've been here before but for those new to TSM NBA discussion...

The Season will consist of:

1. Polish (taking a million shots at Kobe) vs. Johnson

2. Someone (me) actually siding with Johnson

3. Rip and I debating about Devean George

4. Rip and I telling each other to open our eyes when watching

5. The Lakers taking the title

I'm staying out of this until the season starts.

Guest Redhawk

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but are we seriously supposed to put 8 months worth of NBA season into one thread?

Guest Just J

Well yes. If you don't want to, then start another thread. But please stop cluttering up this thread.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but are we seriously supposed to put 8 months worth of NBA season into one thread?

Its not an official thread, so fell free to post specific NBA musings elsewhere.

But Buffy season 7 produced 22 hours of TV. Not hundreds of hours with different stories and teams like the NBA.

Plus like I stated in the NHB thread.

Buffy = narrow subject in broad folder that should be kept together

NBA = broad subject in narrow folder that doesn't need to be crammed together

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

ok I'm going to catch up about a week of replies in one post.

1. Parker didn't carry the Spurs, he got carried by Claxton.

2. The Timberwolves ain't winning shit.

3. The Kings will still win everything untill Webber gets hurt. ($10 on mid-Feburary)

4. Kobe will pass even less this year because he's pissed off about getting busted.

My Prediction: Lakers over Nets in 5. Kobe sets new high in scoring (38.7 PPG) and new lows in shooting (17.4%) and turnovers (412)

Guest Just J
ok I'm going to catch up about a week of replies in one post.

1. Parker didn't carry the Spurs, he got carried by Claxton.

2. The Timberwolves ain't winning shit.

3. The Kings will still win everything untill Webber gets hurt. ($10 on mid-Feburary)

4. Kobe will pass even less this year because he's pissed off about getting busted.

My Prediction: Lakers over Nets in 5. Kobe sets new high in scoring (38.7 PPG) and new lows in shooting (17.4%) and turnovers (412)

About a week?

Try three days.

So, what are some predictions for tomorrow nights games?

Stephen Jackson and Speedy Claxton leaving the Spurs is going hurt them the most this season. Especially with Ginobili and Parker's health at this point. I think that Nesterovich will have a big season for the team and hopefully he will draw some attention so Tim Duncan does not get double team every time. I am not exactly sold on the other "big" free agent pick ups yet as I have not seen enough of them yet.

Looks like it is going to be a bad season to be a Jazz fan. They are 7-1 in the preseason, that has to mean something? :huh:

Coach of the Year canidate?

Tommorrow's games are

Sixers vs Heat

Spurs vs Suns

Mavs vs Lakers

My predictions are...

Sixers over the Heat. The Heat still need to get adjusted to new coach Stan Van Gundy. Most of last year's Sixer's regular rotation is back except Glenn Robinson. He won't start clashing with AI until about December. I call it Sixers by 7.

Suns over the Spurs. Tony Parker is doubtful for the opener. Stephon Marbury may put up big numbers. The athletic Suns will be jacked for home opener against the Champs, who have to still get adusted to new personnel. Suns by 5.

Lakers over Mavs. The Mavs still haven't picked up any stoppers or anyone who can inspire them to stop. The Mavs have a mental block in Staples, backed up by the Mavs squandering a 27 point 4th quarter lead in last year's first Staples outing. The Mavs will put some major points on the board, but the Lakers have not one, not two, not even three, but four all stars who will get calls down the stretch in a home game. Lakers by 8.

So, what are some predictions for tomorrow nights games?

Don't know about tomorrow, but on Thursday the Rockets beat the the Nuggets. Carmelo should have a decent game (15-20 pts) but Houston still wins 95-75 or so.

Let me state that if I had my prefered NBA job of 'Owner of the Clippers', I have a revised list of priorities

#1- Move the team to the Midwest

#2- Hoard draft picks for 2004

2b- find a way to get non-drafted players on the team

#3- Sign Kobe Bryant if he opts out and if he's not in jail.

#4- Profit

Why would Kobe want to play for the worst team in the league?

If Plan #1 (Move the Clippers out of LA) fails, Plan #3 will be useful, as Kobe would be the star of the team and he'd get to face Shaq and the Lakers often.

Plan #2 and #2b are probably not legal right now with the draft format

Plan #4 (Draft UMKC's Michael Watson) needs some work, but if Watson kicks ass in points per/game like he did in 2002-2003, it'd be unique. Unless there's some guy from Serbia they want. :lol:

Updated predictions:

Atlantic

1. New Jersey (1)

2. Philadelphia (4)

3. Orlando (5)

4. Boston (8)

5. New York

6. Miami

7. Washington

Central

1. Indiana (2)

2. Detroit (3)

3. New Orleans (6)

4. Chicago (7)

5. Toronto

6. Cleveland

7. Atlanta

8. Milwaukee

Midwest

1. San Antonio (1)

2. Dallas (3)

3. Minnesota (5)

4. Houston (6)

5. Memphis

6. Denver

7. Utah

Pacific

1. LA Lakers (2)

2. Sacramento (4)

3. Phoenix (7)

4. Portland (8)

5. Seattle

6. LA Clippers

7. Golden State

East

Nets over Pacers In 7

West

Spurs over Lakers in 6

Finals

Spurs over Nets in 7

I've heard Kobe wants to play for Memphis.

That would be correct, and its due to his relationship with Jerry West and also due to the fact he would be the man there. Pau Gasol and Shane Battier would be ok support for him too

Doesn't Battier play his position, though?

For those who do not believe that Kobe would ever consider going to the Clippers here is an article from the L.A. Times

By Tim Brown, Times Staff Writer

So, does he go?

Not long ago, according to witnesses, one of Kobe Bryant's representatives was overheard telling Clipper Coach Mike Dunleavy, "Save that cap space."

It would allow Bryant to escape Shaquille O'Neal and remain in Los Angeles. It would allow Bryant freedom on offense. It would allow the Clippers, who could be $8-$10 million under the salary cap next season, their very own superstar.

The Clippers wouldn't be alone. Assured that Bryant will opt out of his contract with designs on leaving the Lakers, and assuming Bryant was not convicted on the felony sexual assault charge, general managers league-wide would happily bail salaries for a shot at him.

Meanwhile, Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Monday that despite the very public falling out between Bryant and O'Neal, he received not a single telephone call from another general manager seeking to acquire one of them.

"They know better," Kupchak said.

While it seems Bryant is looking for people to tell he won't be back with the Lakers next season, Kupchak apparently isn't one of them.

"Kobe has never expressed a desire to leave Los Angeles to me," he said.

Asked if he believed Bryant would be a Laker next season, Kupchak responded, "You're asking me to speculate about a year from now? I expect him to be here. This is where he belongs to play. But, as you know, he's got an out in his contract next summer and he could choose to do whatever he wants to do. We'll do everything we can to keep him and the rest of our players here. It's our hope he's here and plays many, many years."

Coach Phil Jackson, who has had his philosophical differences with Bryant, said he would not offer an opinion on the possibility of Bryant's departure.

"I'm not even going to comment on that," he said. "I expect him to play this season and I expect us to win the championship and that's what I'm heading for."

Sixers vs Heat

Spurs vs Suns

Mavs vs Lakers

My predictions...

Miami Heat will win 87-76 despite 30-35 points from AI. Lamar Odom has been doing real well and the Heat also have a weapon in Dwayne Wade and Eddie Jones(I think he's injured though, not sure). Glenn Robinson has been suspended for this game so AI is gonna be relied upon heavily and Eric Snow won't help out much.

I'll take the Phoenix Suns over the Spurs 99 to 95 in a very good game. Although Duncan has the size and Parker's solid, the Suns just have too many capable weapons in Shawn Marion, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway(When he decides to pretend it's like Orlando and Shaq's there) and Joe Johnson(Capable scorer when he's feeling it).

I predict the Lakers over the Mavs 109 to 104. Shaq, Malone and Payton are too good to be stopped by a good defense but considering the Mavs have no defense, they'll walk all over them. Mavs have the scoring but without the D and with perennial D-man Gary Payton covering Steve Nash like his nickname(Glove), Dallas will try hard but in the end they won't win.

Head coach Gregg Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News that point guard Tony Parker (ankle) should be able to return to the lineup on Saturday. The Spurs open the season Tuesday against Phoenix, and then travel to Denver for a game on Wednesday. They host the Knicks on Saturday. Anthony Carter is expected to fill in for Parker while he is sidelined.

I wonder if Carter can be successful in the Spurs system.

I wonder if Carter can be successful in the Spurs system.

He was a gamebreaker back in his college days with Hawaii - he was stifled by Riley's system in Miami, so I'd expect him to put up good numbers in Parker's place. He'll make a solid backup for Tony, which is the role he'll excel at for the season.

I'd put money on the Spurs, Sixers and Lakers for tonight.