TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

'Ladies Night' lands nightclub $500 fine

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...1/ln/ln15a.html

In the competitive entertainment scene, nightclubs and bars offer numerous promotions to attract a range of customers. But one popular promotion, "Ladies Night," violates state law if men are not given the same opportunities as women.

The owners of the Blue Tropix Restaurant and Nightclub on Kapi'olani Boulevard found that out yesterday when they were fined $500 by the Honolulu Liquor Commission. Blue Tropix holds a regular Ladies Night, where women are allowed in free but men must pay a cover charge.

State law prohibits discrimination based on a person's race, color, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation or ancestry. City Deputy Corporation Counsel Debi Tulang-DeSilva, who handled yesterday's case, said Blue Tropix's practice was discriminatory because the law "prohibits any licensee from refusing, withholding from or denying any person full and equal enjoyment of its accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, privileges or services on the basis of any person's sex or gender."

Blue Tropix officials did not attend yesterday's hearing and could not be reached for comment. The Liquor Commission entered a default judgement and fined the club $500. Tulang-DeSilva said liquor inspectors heard a radio ad for Blue Tropix's Ladies Night, and an inspector warned club vice president Darren Tsuchiya about the law.

But on Aug. 13, two liquor inspectors went to Blue Tropix and saw women walk past the cashier while men were asked to pay a fee, Tulang-DeSilva said.

At Moose McGillycuddy's Pub and Cafe in Waikiki, every Wednesday is Ladies Night, but all customers are treated equally, said general manager Tony Miloni. He said all nights but Friday and Saturday have a theme.

"We do hand out roses to the ladies, but if a guy walking in would like a rose he's more than welcome to have one," Miloni said. "We just call them 'theme nights,' so this way we can put drink specials out there on the slower days of the week."

http://starbulletin.com/2003/10/30/news/story6.html

Club cited for alleged

bias toward females

Blue Tropix is accused of charging

men but letting women in free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Bruce Dunford

Associated Press

One way to get the guys to go to your nightclub and spend money is to get the ladies to go. One way to get the ladies to go is to let them in free. One problem: In Hawaii it's illegal.

The Blue Tropix Restaurant and Nightclub was scheduled to appear before the Honolulu Liquor Commission today to answer a gender discrimination complaint.

An unidentified male said that on Aug. 13 he went to the club at 1700 Kapiolani Blvd. and had to pay a cover charge yet saw females being admitted free of charge, according to the commission's agenda.

"It's a violation of our rules," said Wallace Weatherwax, administrator of the liquor commission.

He recalled that in 1998 the commission fined Diamond Head Grill $500 for doing the same thing, and he expects to recommend a similar fine for Blue Tropix.

An official at Blue Tropix declined to comment yesterday, at least until after today's hearing.

Other popular nightclubs on Oahu advertise "ladies nights," but it is unclear if that means women are getting in free and men are not.

Ocean Club at Restaurant Row advertises an "Everybody's Ladies Night" on Tuesdays, but that means everybody is admitted free "because it's not your fault you're a man," quipped an employee who declined to be identified.

Weatherwax said his agency conducted an investigation of the Blue Tropix customer's complaint and issued the nightclub a warning.

"I guess they didn't believe it," he said.

Under the commission's rules, an establishment with a liquor license cannot "deny to any person the full and equal enjoyment of any of the licensee's accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, privileges or services on the basis of that person's race, color, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation or ancestry."

There is another watchdog against such discrimination: the state's Civil Rights Commission.

Executive Director William Hoshijo said he cannot recall any recent cases before the commission involving complaints about nightclub "ladies nights," but said it is clearly a violation of the state's civil rights law.

Such cases usually are handled by contacting the company and informing them of the law, he said.

In explaining the state law, a Civil Rights Commission brochure says illegal discrimination occurs when "a store or restaurant gives discounts to people of the opposite sex, but you still have to pay full price."

Damn straight.

'bout time we guys had our shackles freed when it comes to drink prices.

When a chick grumbles because I don't open a door for her I just point out that I believe in true equality for all.

Open your own door, b*tch...

Bullshit....

When we are paid the same amount for the same work then, and only then should men bitch. Til then ladies' night should still stand. :cheers:

Bullshit....

When we are paid the same amount for the same work then, and only then should men bitch. Til then ladies' night should still stand. :cheers:

I can't decide which sexist comment to make. Take your pick.

A) Why should you be payed the same when you don't do it as well?

B) Quit complaining. I don't come down to where you work and slap the dick out of your mouth.

C) Iron my shirt, bitch.

...the hell? This happened in Hawaii?

The most left-wing state in the union not rhyming with "-assachusetts"?

Does not compute...

Guest JacK

Wow . . . that's the first time I've seen that whole 'equality' business applied both ways. Never ever have I seen that before; without people bitching about it, and then turning around and being hypocrits about it.

Bullshit....

When you bitches start doing some heavy lifting, then we'll go back to the bargaining table...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You need to get a job where I work, then. There's all kinds of shapely women bending over and straining.

Not when I worked at places that required lifting.

When I did fast-food/movies thing, guess who had to change all the pop syrup boxes and carry boxes from the supply truck? Yep.

When I did the Quickie Mart thing, guess who always had to haul 50 lb mulch bags around? Yep.

When I did all this crap, guess which gender always sat around doing nothing? Yep.

So when I hear this equal pay for equal work shit, I just laugh and scratch my nuts...

You need to get a job where I work, then. There's all kinds of shapely women bending over and straining.

You work in the ladies restroom?

In what jobs are women payed less than men? Hell if i found out i was getting paid less than a dude, i would have the hugest fucking hissy fit known to man.

And as for doing heavy lifting and the like, in work last week i shifted the same amount of boxes in 2 hours that my male co-worker did in a day. Its called not being a lazy tosser.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You work in the ladies restroom?

The toilet cam I have in Germany does.

While working at a grocery store deli in college, it came to one of my female coworker's attention that I was being paid $6 an hour while she was only making $5.50. She had been working there for over two years, and, at this time, I had been there a little more than 2 months (note: I was hired at $6).

She threw a fit, and even went to our store director, demanding a raise to at least equal of my pay. They humored her, filled out a couple of forms and even conducted a performace review of her, before deciding that she was a lazy bitch (she was) who did nothing but bitch about how horrible it was to work there (which she did) and denied her the raise.

Within about three weeks, they reassigned her fat ass to the gas station booth outside, where she sat all alone, with no one to bitch to. And she was still making $5.50 an hour.

Here's my story.

When at the Quickie Mart, I got a 50-cent raise (this is money, mind you, not the rapper) and I made the fatal mistake of telling a co-worker this.

This chick then flipped out and threw a massive hissy fit.

Of course, the reason I GOT a bigger raise than most was because I took over duties for my manager in regards to supply truck shipments and many times stayed until 2 a.m. putting stuff away (I had a 8 a.m. class the next morning, and better yet the subject was Francais -- oh those were fun times.)

Our "feud" went on for months, which was fine with me. Just one less bitch to worry about offending because she was a Clinton-lover...

Guest FrigidSoul
In what jobs are women payed less than men? Hell if i found out i was getting paid less than a dude, i would have the hugest fucking hissy fit known to man.

And as for doing heavy lifting and the like, in work last week i shifted the same amount of boxes in 2 hours that my male co-worker did in a day. Its called not being a lazy tosser.

Note the male moved boxes of heavy objects while she moved shipments of kleenex and cotton balls

When a man and a woman have identical jobs, on average men get paid more than the woman.

Now there are bars here in Houston that have ladies night, but on other days they charge men .50 for a beer, yet women $3. So it works both ways.

Guest FrigidSoul
Now there are bars here in Houston that have ladies night, but on other days they charge men .50 for a beer, yet women $3. So it works both ways.

Well your bars are stupid. Here in Mass they have set prices for beers at bars and make it quite clear what the prices are through shizzle behind the bar on the wall