TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

The Titillating World of Cosplay

I've seen you, you'll look like an idiot.

Yeah that's why I plan on losing about 60 pounds before I perform such a feat. Only works on the extremely skinny.

60 Pounds would put me at 190 and with this frame.....I'd be to skinny.

There are plenty of cosplay opportunities for the chunkier types that would be acceptable.

For example:

Mario

Kirby

Jigglypuff

Wally Tusket

Pac-Man

Dr. Robotnik

Hell, you could be any number of great characters. Rep-ree-zent!

Guest Doomsault
Just because you've got cool pics of Igor "Ivan Drago" Voychanchin in your sig doesn't give you the right to stretch the screen out like that, and I'd say that most of the girls in these pics look better in their outfits than you would.

Yes it does.

Well I would hope so, but I'm also not a social outcast that sits in my room playing Dungeons and Dragons while watching Sailor Moon and making fun of American animation.

My point exactly: I only know one cosplayer, and she's never played D&D and she loves all cartoons. (She's also working on her graduate degree in marine biology and hasn't lived at home in several years.)

And having the cool pic of the cover shot from Zombie doesn't give you the right, either.

So what's wrong with D&D? I play D&D and I'm definetly not a social outcast. As a matter of fact more people think it's cool than anything. Which is why I hate mentioning it b/c most people don't understand it so I have to spend 20 minutes explaining it to them before they finally go "Sounds complicated.....I don't know if I could do that! It sounds hard!"

That is how every one of those conversations ends. I have actually never been made fun of for it at all. The only places that ridicule people for it are the mass media and the internet. People in real life usually don't give a shit.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, seriously. I played in high school. Fun but Gay. I'll admit it.

Actually, you're wrong, Dam. :lol:

D&D is typically ridiculed by people because individuals waste perfectly good hours and hours playing a roleplaying game with a bunch of pasty-faced, undersexed gothics.

Actually you're wrong. :lol:

I do it because it's fun. It's no different than wasting countless hours playing video games.

On top of that nobody I play with is a pasty faced undersexed goth. As a matter of fact everyone I play with is a normal person that either

A) Works a full time job and goes about a normal life with there friends and girlfriends

B) Is going to college and working a part time job and continuing on there normal life.

The stereotype is just that. A stereotype. Most of the people I've met are just normal people that are married and have normal lives just like you and me but happen to play a game once a week. And yes I have met the occasional(notice i said occasional) stereotype but that's VERY rare.

between time spent posting on this forum and playing D&D, i'm really starting to question and doubt Damaramu's social status...just kidding, calm down, Dam...

Guest Suicide King

Ahem. I run a D&D game once every two weeks. Half my group consists of hot chicks. If this is geekdom, baby, I don't wanna be cool.

Got your back, Dam.

I wasted YEARS of my life playing video games... and until I got to college, I sure as hell WAS a social outcast, by gawd. You don't build up thumb muscles like mine without shunning all human contact for the pretty flickering screen for long, long periods of time.

Guest Hero to all Children

D&D is still a total queerness and abnormal hobby to a certain degree. It doesn't matter how normal YOU and your friends are, you're not the poser child gamer group.

I should know, I play it. My friends who share this hobby (and Shadowrun, god bless Shadowrun) are all geeks to a certain degree (including me) or far beyond that. I met a girl while working as wannabe actor. I made a geeky reference for my personal enjoyment and half an hour later we're still talking about pen and paper roleplaying history. She had weird teeth, rad hair and was as pale as the moon. Also: Kind of thin, glasses, geeky clothing.

And don't give me this "Geeks are the best boyfriends, the most caring lovers, etc" bullshit either. That's just more or less true by the virtue of isolation and humiliation. After a while a geek boyfriend will realize "hmm .. if I can get this pretty girls to have sex with me for being so attentive and caring, maybe I could get an ever prettier girl to have sex with me for the same!" and zoom they're off into normal guy asshole mode.

D&D is a geek domain until I see it avertised on MTV with Justin Timberlake and Brittney Spears miniatures for a fantasy adventure of epic proportions.

Even then there'll be the pasty and now angry geeks who see themselves deprived of their special toy and from now on insist on being "true" D&Ders because they can tell you how to calculate tHaco.

(and Shadowrun, god bless Shadowrun)

HTAC, you're rapidly becoming my favorite new poster here. And John Kerry should pick Dunkelzahn as a running mate.

I met a girl while working as wannabe actor. I made a geeky reference for my personal enjoyment and half an hour later we're still talking about pen and paper roleplaying history. She had weird teeth, red hair and was as pale as the moon. Also: Kind of thin, glasses, geeky clothing.

Sounds like my type exactly.

Guest Hero to all Children
QUOTE (Hero to all Children @ Jun 30 2004, 05:08 PM)

(and Shadowrun, god bless Shadowrun) 

HTAC, you're rapidly becoming my favorite new poster here. And John Kerry should pick Dunkelzahn as a running mate.

I am all-together flattered.

Yes, he should. By the way, my version of the source book isn't the newest. Did Dunkelzahn actually fake his own death and turn into until-then-unknown-Elf with his greater dragon shapeshifting powers? It seems so obvious so I thought they may have revealed that.

Also: If I meet her again I will tell her that a strapping young man on TSM forums wants to get to know her. But I think her English is pretty bad.

Yes, he should. By the way, my version of the source book isn't the newest. Did Dunkelzahn actually fake his own death and turn into until-then-unknown-Elf with his greater dragon shapeshifting powers? It seems so obvious so I thought they may have revealed that.

I don't know, when they released Version 3.0 is about when my interest in gaming waned. I think there was a 3-part novel series about solving the whole assassination, but I stopped buying the books once Nigel Findley died and the rest of their good authors seemed to just disappear, replaced by random hacks.

Also: If I meet her again I will tell her that a strapping young man on TSM forums wants to get to know her. But I think her English is pretty bad.

Or a semi-strapping semi-balding twentysomething, anyway; and I'm sure her English is better than my German (about half of which I learned from repeated viewings of Das Boot.)

I didn't want to mention it, but I dressed up as Geese Howard once under duress. The best part was saying everything in a terrible accent.

Guest Cerebus
Actually, you're wrong, Dam. :lol:

D&D is typically ridiculed by people because individuals waste perfectly good hours and hours playing a roleplaying game with a bunch of pasty-faced, undersexed gothics.

Actually you're wrong. :lol:

I do it because it's fun. It's no different than wasting countless hours playing video games.

On top of that nobody I play with is a pasty faced undersexed goth. As a matter of fact everyone I play with is a normal person that either

A) Works a full time job and goes about a normal life with there friends and girlfriends

B) Is going to college and working a part time job and continuing on there normal life.

The stereotype is just that. A stereotype. Most of the people I've met are just normal people that are married and have normal lives just like you and me but happen to play a game once a week. And yes I have met the occasional(notice i said occasional) stereotype but that's VERY rare.

I've had the opposite experience.

I'm not a pimplefaced geek, but I do pimplefaced geek things with other non-pimplefaced geeks. I play boardgames, consul RPGs, program, and, yes, play D&D. And, in my experience, most people who play D&D ARE pimplefaced geeks (but that's starting to change with the popularity of the new version of D&D)

The problem is, most geeks play such a disgusting style that it practically SCREAMS "nerd" and preptuates the steryotype. Like Dam, I perfer, and do, play with normal people who jealously hide the fact that they play D&D as if they were going to a bondage club or something. However, when we do play, it is actually an engrossing experience that is enjoyable, fun, and surprisingly, no more nerdy than talking about professional wrestling.

Oh wait, Cosplay:

costumes-lulu-008.jpg

costumes-cammy-5.jpg

I'm thinking about convincing my wife to do this stuff. Does that make me sick?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

If I step up my weight program and get a haircut, I'll be Zangief for a halloween party or something.

The people who do this stuff seem like they are completely, yet rather enthusing. I could think of worse than spending the day around a bunch of cute Japanese girls who are dressed like their favourite anime character. Speaking of which...

cosplaypic.jpg

Lucky bastard...

Nice, although kinda flat. There aren't many Asian chicks who could pull off Mai, proportionately.

Although Will knows I'm a fan of his avatars/sigs...