TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

"New" Astroboy trailer 2003 series

Guest wildpegasus
Those percentages, are they your 1 rep max%?

No, they're percentages of the weight I use for 8 ,9 or 10 reps.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
Those percentages, are they your 1 rep max%?

No, they're percentages of the weight I use for 8 ,9 or 10 reps.

Do you have a 100,000 horsepower yet?

Guest wildpegasus

You know that reminds of me that robot tournament battle in Astroboy. Astro wanted to power up from 100,000 horsepower to 1,000,000 horsepower to fight Commonturk but Professor Peabody wouldn't allow it citing I think that it was just too dangerous to do so. Well, the funny thing is I was reading on another site that in the manga Astro does actually get his power upped from 100,000 horsepower to 1,000,000 horsepower. I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind the show makers having Astro remain at his mere :lol: 100,000 horesepower but I'm guessing that by having Astro stay at his current level, it makes his battles more meaningful. It's always easier to root for the less powerful guy. Why would you care when someone's indestructable? Since the robot tournament battle was actually midway through the series and not close to the end I guess the placement would add on to that theory. The series did only go 50 some odd episodes so I suspect there was probably meant to be a litttle more Astro made and the makers were saving up a more powerful Astro down the line. Comparing this show to Dragonball Z (I've really been enjoying the first Dragonball lately) I think Dragonball Z made the mistake of powering up too soon and too much which hurt the show. Now I don't blame that on Toriyama? as I here the show was originally sussposed to end after the Freeza saga (which is where I got to) but due to its popularity he was pressured into keeping it going. So, I don't think the getting more and more powerful shtick was a problem then (I would say it mostly helped the show to a point) but from reading things here and there it did seem to hurt the show later on. In saying this, I would have liked to seen a more powerful Astro somewhat close to the end of the series if it kept on going as I don't believe it ever ran out of steam. It would've been a nice little catch to keep viewers interested as say Astro needs the extra power to fight some kind of wicked enemy or save the earth. Since Astro is a robot, it would also give the creators of the show an out clause as the extra power could always be taken out of him which is what I'd probably end up doing for the end of the show.

I think it'd be really cool to have some sort of Atlas/Astroboy scenario at the end of the show to truly finish the show off. I don't know what the title names of the shows are in English but translated the shows will read something like , "Astro vs Atlas, Part I" , Astro vs Atlas, Part II and so on whenever Atlas is involved in the episode. Astroboy goes on his adventures doing whatever the fate of the world has in store for him that day but than the show always goes back to the "Astro vs Atlas" series every once in a while sucking you in. It's just a great hook and it makes the Astro vs Atlas battles all the more meaningful. I never watched the final Atlas vs Astroboy shows as I've only got about half the series but I don't they ever truly concluded them like they wanted to. I'm guessing the show was building up to an eventual teaming up of Atlas/Astro where they have to put their differences aside and fight some common enemy that's a truly big threat. The humans themselves? A completely foreign invasion? Some kind of robot invasion? There are just so many ways to go with this. If they survive after that (considering this is Astroboy) do you have some kind of battle between Atlas/his followers vs Astro/his followers vs a renegade robot group or just have one final battle between Atlas/Astro? Or will they have finally made peace? Maybe Astro will finally see things the way Atlas does (which reminds me someone should try to plant the "omega factor" into Astro) and join up with him or perhaps Atlas will see things the way Astro does.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

An Astro/Atlus team, sounds cool, but I would rather have atlus stay true to his character, thats what makes him such a cool character. I wouldn't want him to become another cookie cutter villian who sees the error of his ways, turns good but still has an attitude. Just because someone has attitude doesn't mean that they have character, which atlus and astro have in spades.

No, I dont think that it woud work as well as it sounds, interesting though.

Guest wildpegasus
An Astro/Atlus team, sounds cool, but I would rather have atlus stay true to his character, thats what makes him such a cool character. I wouldn't want him to become another cookie cutter villian who sees the error of his ways, turns good but still has an attitude. Just because someone has attitude doesn't mean that they have character, which atlus and astro have in spades.

No, I dont think that it woud work as well as it sounds, interesting though.

No, it'd probably only be a temporary thing out of necessity because of whatever happennings going around at the time. Maybe a good example would be when Magneto and Xavier teamed up together to combat the savage island. It wouldn't be a change of charactors and in fact would be more of a soldifying of one's charactor.

As everyone knows, Atlas in neither totally good nor totally evil. In fact, if you think about it he's got an awful lot of goodness in him because a lot of him is good which is thanks to his thinking ability and the influence of Vivian. If Atlas didn't have the Omega Factor and Astro did have the Omega Factor would the roles be reversed? Or would Astro be more evil than Atlas is portrayed in the series? And would Atlas be more of a straight edge good guy than Astro is currently? Although that one might be impossable. :) Who knows how their charactors would turn out?

I've always loved the stuggle within Atlas. It was one of the top things that attracted me to the series. I also admired Vivian's strength of charactor. Astro doesn't seem to struggle as much morally within himself but he did in that classic epsiode where he "had to tell a lie" when confronted by the blind child friend of the little robot that died. As Astro fans know, robots can't lie. I imagine there must have been quite a few people that let out some tears watching that.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

It always seemed to me that all the humanoid robots had some type of omega factor installed in them. They all showed emotional reactions when they were put in the appropriate situation.

Examples: his sister sarah always had a hot little temper, his mom and dad always freaked out when astro flew through a window in a hurry to save the world, all the robots showed sadness and fear when they had to be shut down during the frankenstein rampage, and commonturk had a very bushido-like attitude towards astro and his opponents.

I have always thought that the technology that was used to give the robots human like personalities was so advanced that the robots eventually learned human emotions, while the omege factor gave them to you immediately. Or maybe the omega factor is the same as a regular computer chip, but it allows the robot to develop or express feelings of anger and hate. Feelings of anger and hate were something that Atlus wrestled with a lot, but I can't recall Astro ever showing hatetred although he showed every other emotion.

I wish the series had continued, it would have answered a lot of questions, oh well.

Guest wildpegasus
It always seemed to me that all the humanoid robots had some type of omega factor installed in them. They all showed emotional reactions when they were put in the appropriate situation.

Examples: his sister sarah always had a hot little temper, his mom and dad always freaked out when astro flew through a window in a hurry to save the world, all the robots showed sadness and fear when they had to be shut down during the frankenstein rampage, and commonturk had a very bushido-like attitude towards astro and his opponents.

I have always thought that the technology that was used to give the robots human like personalities was so advanced that the robots eventually learned human emotions, while the omege factor gave them to you immediately. Or maybe the omega factor is the same as a regular computer chip, but it allows the robot to develop or express feelings of anger and hate. Feelings of anger and hate were something that Atlus wrestled with a lot, but I can't recall Astro ever showing hatetred although he showed every other emotion.

I wish the series had continued, it would have answered a lot of questions, oh well.

I'm going to have to rewatch this show sometime but I still haven't got my DVDs back from my buddy. When the Omega Factor is implanted in you though it does make a difference. Would Astro have turned out the same way as Atlas if he was inluenced the same way Atlas was when he was young even if he didn't have the Omega Factor? How different would Atlas be if the Omega Factor was not implanted in him at all? Remember he is Astro's twin. Who knows? But the one thing we do know is that the Omega Factor does make a difference although now that I think about it maybe it means nothing at all. A big deal is made out of it during the show but I could easily see the Omega Factor being an almost complete nonfactor.

Interesting and an AWESOME, AWESOME article that I read here from

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/astroboy.htm.

that talks about some of the eps from the 60s series. I've only seen 3 tapes which I picked up during an anime order years back but I liked what I saw.

Some of the episodes include ‘Funnel To The Future" where Astroboy, Astrogirl and Dr Elefun are sent 70 000 years into the future; ‘Mystery Of The Metal Men’ where Astroboy is blown away into a parallel world and ‘Gangor The Monster’ where 46 wrestling robots join together to form a giant centipede. The Lost Episode titled ‘The Beast from 20 Fathoms’ was created in 1963. 2 copies were made . The Japanese version was destroyed as Osamu Tezuka was unhappy with it. The other copy was sent to America for dubbing and is the only version that exists today.

The following information is written by Mark Cannon from Canberra Australia who has picked up some interesting points after watching Astroboy episodes again after nearly 30 years.

"Amazing the detail you aren't aware of as a kid; for example, though I saw "Funnel To The Future" several times in my youth, it was only this time that I recognised the similarlities to HG Wells' "The Time Machine"; mankind vanished, a huge museum / mausoleum to man, two divergent, diametrically opposed races in the plant people and the animal people (echoing the Eloi and the Morlocks) and, closest of all Astro Boy befrinding a plant person by pulling her from the river, in which she was drowning while her fellows looked on apathetically - just as Wells' Time Traveller rescued Weena the Eloi in identical circumstances. Very cleverly done.

In "Invasion Of The Metal Men", I had forgotten that it utilised the concept of parallel universes; a complicated concept for children to grasp (and we didn't have "Sliders" to demonstrate it every week!) but it explained the concept in a wonderfully simple way by comparing it to "Two sides of a single sheet of paper".

In the episode "Mission to the Middle of the World", Astroboy, Astrogirl and the journalist travelling with them come across an underground race, descended survivors of Atlantis, who appear to call themselves "deros". This got my memory working, and I did a little research.

Back in the mid-1940s, "Amazing Stories", the pulp SF magazine (the very first, dating form 1926, and about to be revived after a few years of non-publication) published a lot of stories by a guy called Richard S Shaver. They weren't very well written, but they got a lot of attention - and generated a lot of controversy in the SF community - because Shaver claimed that they were all based on truth! He claimed that degenerate races, living inside the earth, and called "deros" were controlling the direction of mankind on the surface. These races were using technology left behind by ancient races like the "Atlans".

As I said Shaver claimed that all of this was true! He seems to have genuinely believed it, and today would proabably be writing UFO cult-type books (and probably making a fortune in the process!). Although his stuff boosted the sales of Amazing Stories for a while (Although Shaver was a real person, many theorised that most of the stories were actually written by Amazing's editor, Raymond Palmer), the fans decried it as being hogwash, and it lead to great controversy. Eventually publication of this "Shaver Mystery" material, as it came to be known, was dropped, and the whole matter became a footnote in the history of science fiction. Until, of course, I saw this episode, with its reference to subterranean "deros". It seems hard to believe that it was a cooincidence; perhaps one of the people writing the English language scripts had read Shaver material as a youth, and decided to put the reference in as an in-joke? We'll never know, but I thought it an interesting little quirk.

Guest wildpegasus

"Funnel to the Future" -- I may just have to get this episode now. I've never read H.G. Wells "The Time Machine" but just may have too do that now too because I LOOOOVE tributes to different things in a TV show. I was tempted to read that book years ago but never did. The story sounds like something I'd really dig so I think I'll give it a shot. The tribute thing is one of the reasons why Samurai Jack rules all as a TV show right now. I hear Kill Bill is full of stuff like that too so that's a must see in the future as well.

"The beast from 20 Fathoms" is not a bad episode at all. I'll take a guess here and say that Tezuka must have had some kind of perfectionist gene inside him so that's why the ep didn't make it in Japan.. This is one of the few epsidoes from the 60s that I have and it's definitely good.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Yeah, I hear that there is a pretty cool animated scene in Kill Bill, any idea who the artists were who did it? were they Japanese?

Guest wildpegasus
Yeah, I hear that there is a pretty cool animated scene in Kill Bill, any idea who the artists were who did it? were they Japanese?

I hear they make an audible reference to Ninja Scroll in it but that's just one of the charactors from the show comparing the world they're entering into what the fictional charactor has seen in his real fictional life if you get my drift. So it really could be a tribute to any anime out there. Than from what I hear as a tribute to anime the excess bloodshed starts to happen in the movie.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

It's kind of ironic that anime is known for it's excessive amounts of bloodshed, but the best anime usually has little to none at all.

Examples: Astroboy, Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Macross series, Starblazers, Record of Lodoss War, Metropolis, Grave of the Fireflies and many others.

Guest wildpegasus
It's kind of ironic that anime is known for it's excessive amounts of bloodshed, but the best anime usually has little to none at all.

Examples: Astroboy, Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, Macross series, Starblazers, Record of Lodoss War, Metropolis, Grave of the Fireflies and many others.

I'm only part way through Evangelion but when blood was there, it was there if I remember right. The others aren't too bad but I've never seen the Grave of the Fireflies movie but I will someday because that's the kind of movie I'd really dig. Metropolis was pretty cool. It had that distinct Astroboy feel to it.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

I'm only part way through Evangelion but when blood was there, it was there if I remember right. The others aren't too bad but I've never seen the Grave of the Fireflies movie but I will someday because that's the kind of movie I'd really dig. Metropolis was pretty cool. It had that distinct Astroboy feel to it.

Funny you mention that Metropolis having an astroboy feeling, I think that the guy who made astroboy also made metropolis, not exactly sure though.

Guest wildpegasus

Funny you mention that Metropolis having an astroboy feeling, I think that the guy who made astroboy also made metropolis, not exactly sure though.

Well, Metropolis was based off a 1949 comic book that it itself was *inspired by a 1927 move called what else but Metropolis. Unfortuantely, Tezuka died in 1989. Here's a listing of his works courtesy of the anime cafe website:

*Apparently, Tezuka hadn't seen the 1927 Metropolis movie when he made the comic book. However, Mitchy, a charactor in the comic book was inspired by a still picture he had seen of the movie depicting the birth of a female robot.

A cursory list of his works include:

Ma-chan's Diary

New Treasure Island

Lost World

Next World

Jungle Taitei (Jungle Emperor / Kimba the White Lion), 1950

Tetsuwan Atom (The Mighty Atom / AstroBoy), 1952-1968

Princess Knight, 1953

Story of a Street Corner, 1962

Memory, 1964

Mermaid, 1964

Ambassador Magma, 1965

Drop, 1965

W3 (Amazing 3), 1965

Pictures at an Exhibition, 1966

Dororo, 1967

The Phoenix, 1967

The Genesis, 1968

One Thousand and One Nights, 1969

Cleopatra,1970

Ode to Kirihito, 1970

A History of Birdmen, 1971

A Hundred Tales, 1971

Ayako, 1972

Black Jack, 1973

Buddha, 1973

MW, 1976

Phoenix 2772 (Space Firebird), 1980

A Tree in the Sun, 1981

Tell Adolph, 1983

Jumping, 1984

Broken Down Film, 1985

Legend of the Forest, 1987

Ludwig B., 1987

Murasama, 1987

Push, 1987

Neo Faust, 1988

Self-portrait, 1988

WP -- Has anybody out there seen Princess Knight? Is it any good?

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Well, Metropolis was based off a 1949 comic book that it itself was *inspired by a 1927 move called what else but Metropolis. Unfortuantely, Tezuka died in 1989. Here's a listing of his works courtesy of the anime cafe website:

*Apparently, Tezuka hadn't seen the 1927 Metropolis movie when he made the comic book. However, Mitchy, a charactor in the comic book was inspired by a still picture he had seen of the movie depicting the birth of a female robot.

A cursory list of his works include:

Ma-chan's Diary

New Treasure Island

Lost World

Next World

Jungle Taitei (Jungle Emperor / Kimba the White Lion), 1950

Tetsuwan Atom (The Mighty Atom / AstroBoy), 1952-1968

Princess Knight, 1953

Story of a Street Corner, 1962

Memory, 1964

Mermaid, 1964

Ambassador Magma, 1965

Drop, 1965

W3 (Amazing 3), 1965

Pictures at an Exhibition, 1966

Dororo, 1967

The Phoenix, 1967

The Genesis, 1968

One Thousand and One Nights, 1969

Cleopatra,1970

Ode to Kirihito, 1970

A History of Birdmen, 1971

A Hundred Tales, 1971

Ayako, 1972

Black Jack, 1973

Buddha, 1973

MW, 1976

Phoenix 2772 (Space Firebird), 1980

A Tree in the Sun, 1981

Tell Adolph, 1983

Jumping, 1984

Broken Down Film, 1985

Legend of the Forest, 1987

Ludwig B., 1987

Murasama, 1987

Push, 1987

Neo Faust, 1988

Self-portrait, 1988

WP -- Has anybody out there seen Princess Knight? Is it any good?

Did you ever see ninja scroll?

Guest wildpegasus

Ninja Scroll? That's a little bit out of the blue. Imaginative movie which I liked which reminds me of the computer generated special effects in movies today and how it lets them go to places movies wouldn't allow them to go to before. Maybe I'm just byist but a lot of it seems too fake to me. It's similar to all the indy stars trying to impersonate the Puro stars. They can do a lot of the moves but it doesn't feel right. It just feels like an imitaition of the original puro stars even if a match is constructed well. I don't mean to diss the indy stars as there's some good stuff out there but I don't think anything can truly replicate the magic that is puroresu. I have that same similar feel with Hollywood and anime. Hollywood tries but it just looks too fake. Anime truly has that imaginative original feel that Hollywood can't impersonate. Anime knows how to do it.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
Ninja Scroll? That's a little bit out of the blue. Imaginative movie which I liked which reminds me of the computer generated special effects in movies today and how it lets them go to places movies wouldn't allow them to go to before. Maybe I'm just byist but a lot of it seems too fake to me. It's similar to all the indy stars trying to impersonate the Puro stars. They can do a lot of the moves but it doesn't feel right. It just feels like an imitaition of the original puro stars even if a match is constructed well. I don't mean to diss the indy stars as there's some good stuff out there but I don't think anything can truly replicate the magic that is puroresu. I have that same similar feel with Hollywood and anime. Hollywood tries but it just looks too fake. Anime truly has that imaginative original feel that Hollywood can't impersonate. Anime knows how to do it.

Hollywood does not know how to do anything right any more, the more money that they throw into a movie, the worse it is.

Guest wildpegasus

It's just not Hollywood though. I get that feeling from most stuff. Not everything but most stuff. There are some live action flicks that do the trick for me such as Predator or Alien. North American animation doesn't usually cut it for me either. For example, I'm watching about 3 animation shows on TV right now and may have seen 5 min clips of other stuff here and there. Take the Justice League show for example. It's a great show that's really been coming into its own the last seasons where the eps have just been stellar but it still doesn't have that "feel" to it. I think a lot of it has to do with the animation style and the way it's presented. The new He-Man show while not being quite as good as Justice League (It's also improved signifigantly the 2nd year) is very unique with its imagination but it doesn't come close to the anime feel at its best. It feels a little forced. X-Men evolution also falls into this category. Samurai Jack which I absolutely love and reccomend to people who like to watch "cool" stuff comes closer but still doesn't quite make it IMO. That's pretty harsh but I kind of respect Samurai Jack on its own now. It's not anime, it's not North American animation. It's his own great creation. Kind of like its own medium. The awesome X-Men from the 90s probably gave me the most anime imagination feel I ever had with maybe Spiderman and Batman TAS coming in 2nd. I don't know. I might change my mind tomorrow or next week on some of these shows but right now that's how I feel.

Speaking of those 5 minute clips I'vs seen of other shows. Is everything out there now for children a sitcom? It's kind of like the writers are writing for themselves instead of the children and just putting enough children stuff in it to make accessable for them. I mean a lot of that stuff must go over their heads. Listening to the commentary in the background for shows like Recess I realise this is more intelligent than say the sitcom "friends" or from what I've seen of it "WIll and Grace". I'm not meaning to insult friends or Will and Grace here but I'm just trying to emphasize my point here. Don't get me wrong here. When I was young, I hated shows that talked down to me or were just too plain "kiddish", over the top in whatever they were presenting or just plain annoying. But the thing is the animated shows of today or at least some of them have swung the pendulm too far the other way. I sense that the creators of the shows were once themselves sick of being talked down to too much when they were youn and have now gone the other way because of that. On the other hand, the one other thing I've noticed is the overabundance of toilet humour/gross out comedy in cartoons today. Always thought toilet humour was stupid and not funny but now these chilldren shows are just full with it. I know some young ones like that stuff so I can see why they put it in but I just hope they stop. Ironically when you think about it, it's just the animation writers talking down to kids again.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
It's just not Hollywood though. I get that feeling from most stuff. Not everything but most stuff. There are some live action flicks that do the trick for me such as Predator or Alien. North American animation doesn't usually cut it for me either. For example, I'm watching about 3 animation shows on TV right now and may have seen 5 min clips of other stuff here and there. Take the Justice League show for example. It's a great show that's really been coming into its own the last seasons where the eps have just been stellar but it still doesn't have that "feel" to it. I think a lot of it has to do with the animation style and the way it's presented. The new He-Man show while not being quite as good as Justice League (It's also improved signifigantly the 2nd year) is very unique with its imagination but it doesn't come close to the anime feel at its best. It feels a little forced. X-Men evolution also falls into this category. Samurai Jack which I absolutely love and reccomend to people who like to watch "cool" stuff comes closer but still doesn't quite make it IMO. That's pretty harsh but I kind of respect Samurai Jack on its own now. It's not anime, it's not North American animation. It's his own great creation. Kind of like its own medium. The awesome X-Men from the 90s probably gave me the most anime imagination feel I ever had with maybe Spiderman and Batman TAS coming in 2nd. I don't know. I might change my mind tomorrow or next week on some of these shows but right now that's how I feel.

Speaking of those 5 minute clips I'vs seen of other shows. Is everything out there now for children a sitcom? It's kind of like the writers are writing for themselves instead of the children and just putting enough children stuff in it to make accessable for them. I mean a lot of that stuff must go over their heads. Listening to the commentary in the background for shows like Recess I realise this is more intelligent than say the sitcom "friends" or from what I've seen of it "WIll and Grace". I'm not meaning to insult friends or Will and Grace here but I'm just trying to emphasize my point here. Don't get me wrong here. When I was young, I hated shows that talked down to me or were just too plain "kiddish", over the top in whatever they were presenting or just plain annoying. But the thing is the animated shows of today or at least some of them have swung the pendulm too far the other way. I sense that the creators of the shows were once themselves sick of being talked down to too much when they were youn and have now gone the other way because of that. On the other hand, the one other thing I've noticed is the overabundance of toilet humour/gross out comedy in cartoons today. Always thought toilet humour was stupid and not funny but now these chilldren shows are just full with it. I know some young ones like that stuff so I can see why they put it in but I just hope they stop. Ironically when you think about it, it's just the animation writers talking down to kids again.

Samurai Jack, huh. I've heard good things but I haven't watched it yet, is it really that good?

Guest wildpegasus

Samurai Jack, huh. I've heard good things but I haven't watched it yet, is it really that good?

Yeah, it's great, best animated show going today. I hear there are some good shows from the Cartoon Network in the States but we don't get that up here in the great white north. A certain percentage of shows have to be from Canadian orgin so when you combine that with a seemingly lackadasial attitude of Canada's cartoon channel Teletoon we miss out on stuff. Still, I think most people would agree right now that Justice League is the best animated show on TV right or at least one of them. Samurai Jack exceeds it. Still, I susspose it depends on what you're looking for since they're not the same show. I can even see Jack putting people off just from the look of it (starting sucks BTW) as it is different but it will grow on you. There are a few eps I didn't care for with at least one or two looking like a "desperate attempt" to attract kids to the show but besides that the show's pure gold. It's as almost if a crew of directors sat down and decided to make a show just for the wildpegasus. They've taken what's "cool", took the ball, went straight ahead with it and never looked back. There are tributes to everything in this. From Kurosawa films to anime to Intellevison video games! to Alien to Star Wars to Zelda. Despite giving tributes to everything it's still different than any show on TV.

I don't know if these are any good but here are a couple of links to information about the show:

http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowM...et/showid-3064/

I really like the above site. It's pretty informative and has stuff in it that I would've missed if it weren't for this site

Nice piece about the show -- http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/breathtaking.html

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Yeah, it's great, best animated show going today. I hear there are some good shows from the Cartoon Network in the States but we don't get that up here in the great white north. A certain percentage of shows have to be from Canadian orgin so when you combine that with a seemingly lackadasial attitude of Canada's cartoon channel Teletoon we miss out on stuff. Still, I think most people would agree right now that Justice League is the best animated show on TV right or at least one of them. Samurai Jack exceeds it. Still, I susspose it depends on what you're looking for since they're not the same show. I can even see Jack putting people off just from the look of it (starting sucks BTW) as it is different but it will grow on you. There are a few eps I didn't care for with at least one or two looking like a "desperate attempt" to attract kids to the show but besides that the show's pure gold. It's as almost if a crew of directors sat down and decided to make a show just for the wildpegasus. They've taken what's "cool", took the ball, went straight ahead with it and never looked back. There are tributes to everything in this. From Kurosawa films to anime to Intellevison video games! to Alien to Star Wars to Zelda. Despite giving tributes to everything it's still different than any show on TV.

I don't know if these are any good but here are a couple of links to information about the show:

I really like the above site. It's pretty informative and has stuff in it that I would've missed if it weren't for this site

Nice piece about the show -- http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/breathtaking.html

Tributes to Kurosawa? I can dig that. I just might have to give it a chance then.

Sounds like they are turning Atlus into a Bishamon, that sucks.

Guest wildpegasus

Tributes to Kurosawa? I can dig that. I just might have to give it a chance then.

Don't know if they're making Atlas more feminine or not since I'm once again refusing to watch Japanese products that American folk get their hands on. Only the originals for me now. I hear Atlas isn't the main villan anymore though as he's sharing space with the Blue Knight who has similaraties to Atlas from the 80s series. As told to me Atlas is now a teenage juvenile delinquent while the Blue Knight is more of a rebellion leader. The common thread is that they both want freedom for robots. In the comic book the Blue Knight wants to create a nation for robots.

I don't want to rush judgement on the newest series so I'm going to have to forego seeing it for awhile until I get the originals. Otherwise it's not fair. It'd be like watching Liger vs Ohtani with key spots missing and an English dub lying about what's being said. The Japanese version of the 80s for example is better than the dub over here. And from what I remember the Canadian dub is greater than the American dub. So it goes to show you what alteration can do to a show.

Guest wildpegasus

WP -- As long as he doesn't have long hair and is a whiner I can live with it. I thought Atlas had the best villan look of all time in th 80s series so I'm not too happy they changed that. Even cooler than most people's standard bearer, Darth Vader.

WP -- finds bishonen very annoying. I couldn't watch that new show "Inuyasha" for 15 min because of it.

Guest wildpegasus

Hey Ohtani of Time! Did you ever see the first episode of Astroboy from the 60s? I just saw it courtesy of the net and must say I was impressed.

Just some observations from the show if you haven't seen it yet. Watching the first episode I was absolutely amazed at how quick everything was happened. Now I don't know if they condensed anything here but still there are over 200 eps from the 60s and a LOT happened here. They weren't worried about spreading things out at all. It must have meant they had a lot of ideas to play around with.

Some comparisons from the 1st English ep of the 60s compared to the 80s Japanese version.

Gadgetech (I have no idea on how to spell that) is the circus dude in this and is actually in the very first episode.

More silliness in this with more typical classic cartoon humour. The show is still serious though.

The show had classical music once again for the birth of Astroboy. I don't know the name of the piece but it is a well known piece. The 80s version used "Flair's" classical theme while I believe the 80s English dub didn't even show the birth of Astroboy.

In the 80s version Toby who is the little boy Astro is inspired from decides to ride a car after wanting to see? his Dad. Of course being a little boy he crashes. In the 60s episode here they say everything is automatic and all you have to do is press a button and everything is done here. Maybe the English dub from the 60s changed that? I don't know. Anyway, the car gets totalled and his father decides to build Astro as a subsitute for his son Toby which actually takes them quite a long time to do. Over a year.

Astro's father is similar in personality but is a little more eccentric/off the wall here. Eventually over time when he realises Astro isn't perfect as he just won't grow like a normal boy. This makes him absolutely lose it and as a result he goes into this diatribe on how Astro's just a robot, not a normal boy and is useless. Than he sells Astro to the evil Gadgetech. And he shows no remorse In the 80s he also gets mad at Astro for not being a normal boy (embarassed somewhat that he's a robot) but it's not as harsh. Still harsh but Astro's Dad feels horrable in the 80s. Here in the 60s one he doesn't.

They snuck in the robot going the electrical voltage stunt in the circus here too. Once again the robot doesn't make it through and apparently dies. Because of this this the whol circus goes on fire.

We find out Gadgetech wants Astro for his ROman colliseum like fighting. Astro in put in against a humongous robot with the idea that they'll fight to the death. Astro eventually beats him but will not hit the final blow to kill him because he (Astro) has too much heart. Gadgetech of course gets pretty upset at this. I believe in the 80s they did do robot wrestling to the death but it's been a long time since I've seen that episode.

Astro once again has 100,000 horsepower.

Once again they do the cool bit with Astro eating and putting the food into his midsection. :)

Astro meets a bunch of old robots who are going to the scrap heap. They're all weak from not getting any electricity. Astro pumps them back up with his own power but weakens himself up in the process. Later the robots all come out and save the spectators from the fire. This is similar to that complete episode of the 80s where all the neglected robots join up together and save the humans after everyone thought they were useless.

We're once again around the year 2000

Gadgetech is buried under a ton of debris and is going to die but Astro saves him anyway. He even collapses on the way out. We later see Gadgetech in the hospital talking to "Profesor Peabody" (who is once again trying to rescue Astro) Gadgetech however is still not respectful of Astro in the least and refuses to let his slave go free as he vents on about how Astro should be grateful to him. The professor gets the last laugh however as he turns on the TV to show Gadgetech that the robot bill of rights has been signed and it's now illegal for Gadgetech to own Astro. Now, I don't remember if there ever was a robot bill of rights in the 80s. Ohtani of Time, can you help me out here?

Guest The Ohtani of Time
Hey Ohtani of Time! Did you ever see the first episode of Astroboy from the 60s? I just saw it courtesy of the net and must say I was impressed.

Just some observations from the show if you haven't seen it yet. Watching the first episode I was absolutely amazed at how quick everything was happened. Now I don't know if they condensed anything here but still there are over 200 eps from the 60s and a LOT happened here. They weren't worried about spreading things out at all. It must have meant they had a lot of ideas to play around with.

Some comparisons from the 1st English ep of the 60s compared to the 80s Japanese version.

Gadgetech (I have no idea on how to spell that) is the circus dude in this and is actually in the very first episode.

More silliness in this with more typical classic cartoon humour. The show is still serious though.

The show had classical music once again for the birth of Astroboy. I don't know the name of the piece but it is a well known piece. The 80s version used "Flair's" classical theme while I believe the 80s English dub didn't even show the birth of Astroboy.

In the 80s version Toby who is the little boy Astro is inspired from decides to ride a car after wanting to see? his Dad. Of course being a little boy he crashes. In the 60s episode here they say everything is automatic and all you have to do is press a button and everything is done here. Maybe the English dub from the 60s changed that? I don't know. Anyway, the car gets totalled and his father decides to build Astro as a subsitute for his son Toby which actually takes them quite a long time to do. Over a year.

Astro's father is similar in personality but is a little more eccentric/off the wall here. Eventually over time when he realises Astro isn't perfect as he just won't grow like a normal boy. This makes him absolutely lose it and as a result he goes into this diatribe on how Astro's just a robot, not a normal boy and is useless. Than he sells Astro to the evil Gadgetech. And he shows no remorse In the 80s he also gets mad at Astro for not being a normal boy (embarassed somewhat that he's a robot) but it's not as harsh. Still harsh but Astro's Dad feels horrable in the 80s. Here in the 60s one he doesn't.

They snuck in the robot going the electrical voltage stunt in the circus here too. Once again the robot doesn't make it through and apparently dies. Because of this this the whol circus goes on fire.

We find out Gadgetech wants Astro for his ROman colliseum like fighting. Astro in put in against a humongous robot with the idea that they'll fight to the death. Astro eventually beats him but will not hit the final blow to kill him because he (Astro) has too much heart. Gadgetech of course gets pretty upset at this. I believe in the 80s they did do robot wrestling to the death but it's been a long time since I've seen that episode.

Astro once again has 100,000 horsepower.

Once again they do the cool bit with Astro eating and putting the food into his midsection. :)

Astro meets a bunch of old robots who are going to the scrap heap. They're all weak from not getting any electricity. Astro pumps them back up with his own power but weakens himself up in the process. Later the robots all come out and save the spectators from the fire. This is similar to that complete episode of the 80s where all the neglected robots join up together and save the humans after everyone thought they were useless.

We're once again around the year 2000

Gadgetech is buried under a ton of debris and is going to die but Astro saves him anyway. He even collapses on the way out. We later see Gadgetech in the hospital talking to "Profesor Peabody" (who is once again trying to rescue Astro) Gadgetech however is still not respectful of Astro in the least and refuses to let his slave go free as he vents on about how Astro should be grateful to him. The professor gets the last laugh however as he turns on the TV to show Gadgetech that the robot bill of rights has been signed and it's now illegal for Gadgetech to own Astro. Now, I don't remember if there ever was a robot bill of rights in the 80s. Ohtani of Time, can you help me out here?

Hmmm, those old episodes sound pretty awesome. I think that the 80's episodes did have something about the robot bill of rights, but I think that it had more to do with ownership of the technology that was used to create the robot, not necessarily who owned the robot. Robots were always treated pretty badly, so if there was an actual bill of rights, then it wasn't adhered to by robot owners or enforced by the government.

Guest wildpegasus

If you want the link to the show, I'll show it to you. It takes no time at all to load up.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
If you want the link to the show, I'll show it to you. It takes no time at all to load up.

sounds good

Guest wildpegasus

sounds good

Cool, I'll send you a personal message. Feel free to share your comments on it.