TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Anti-French Sentiment In C.E.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
I thought it was pretty snappy. CWM rarely comes up with a good joke. Good job, Dave.

Thank you Spoon.

Can't we turn CE into a proper flaming folder or something? It would be much more entertaining than NHB/HD and going on the recent threads over there its about time we made it official. That folder is really paying the price for letting one gang of inmates run the asylum for so long, shame really but then you get cunts in all walks of life.

Well, I still maintain that Marney's post I quoted to kick off this thread is inherrently racist.

And if it's not, I'd love to know what is.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
The problem with CE is that almost all the most prominent posters are Republican.

Tom's a Libertarian, Tyler and Jobber are both Dems, There's plenty of Europeans with political affiliations I know nothing about, and although I mainly lurk about in there, I'm certainly not a republican. Marney and MikeSC are the only two that come to mind.

The problem with CE is that almost all the most prominent posters are Republican

Hilarious. So the CE folder would be just fine and dandy if we could only kick out all those gosh darn Republican nutjobs and let in only good sane Democrats and enlightened Europeans?

Well see the point of the folder is to discuss different points of view on social, political, cultural, economic, military, and international issues. Some points of view happen to be identified with Republicans, some with Democrats, and some with neither. So it rather sounds as if you're trying to win every argument you could possibly have by default - ban the Republicans, and CE will turn into a wonderland of happiness where the niceness police, as fk teale would say, keep order for you with their candycane batons. Sorry, chuckles, but it's not going to work out that way. You're just going to have to put up with points of view you don't agree with. It's this little something we ignorant Americans like to call "freedom of speech." I'm sure you've progressed beyond that in your far more advanced part of the world, but we're a little slow on this side of the pond - y'know, like you're so fond of saying, we're all a bunch of racist neo-Nazi imperialist lying murdering backwoods hayseed cowboys - so you'll have to forgive us. I'm sure your shining example will lead us to the light soon enough.*

Christ, I haven't seen such pompous condescending posturing, such insufferable stuck-up arrogant elitist bullshit since I was at that Senate subcommittee a week ago. You're trying to defeat the entire POINT of the folder by excluding all views but your own? Listen you gibbering idiot, we go to that folder to ARGUE, not to agree with each other before we've even discussed evidence and reason. Another quaint outdated tradition we Americans like to practice is that of debate; that's how our poor backwards little country was FOUNDED. That is how we get to the truth. That is how we test our ideas and that is why that goddamn folder EXISTS.

Do you fucking get it yet?

*When hell freezes over.

I still maintain that Marney's post I quoted to kick off this thread is inherrently racist

Well isn't that special. See, this is precisely why very few people in the CE folder take you seriously. You're completely impervious to argument. It doesn't matter what anyone else says, you're secure in your beliefs and nothing will change them, and if anyone contradicts you using those silly irrelevant things we dumb American yokels call FACTS you just ignore them and stay sitting all nice and snug in your little make-believe world of sugar-biscuits and treacle. You have been told over and over that the French are not a race (despite some attempt to redefine reality by using an online dictionary). You have been told over and over that the post you object to was an obvious joke. You have been told, by me, that I have nothing against individual French people apart from the opinions they might (probably) hold, and disliking someone for holding an opinion you find objectionable is NOT FUCKING RACIST, do you understand any of this yet? Am I getting through to you? Because if I'm a racist and you dislike me for my racist opinions, well you're doing the same thing you're accusing me of doing because you're assuming that I as a rational adult am responsible for my own informed opinions and... you do understand the King's English, right? I mean this isn't a foreign language for you or anything? Do you accept basic logical axioms such as a=a and if a=b then b=a and if a=b and b=c then a=c? Are you still following me? Because if so I'd like your next reply, if there is one (please God forbid), to be something OTHER than a bland restatement of your original assertion which has been PROVED false so very many more times than it deserved to be because anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together should've been able to glance at it for merely two and a half seconds and see that it was not only obviously false but quite frankly downright ridiculous, and I'm so very tired of addressing it and pretending that you actually have some pathetic facsimile of a point somewhere in the midst of that massive pile of reeking festering shit that comprises your posts. Do you understand? Do you? Huh? Do you? Do you? Make Mommy happy and say you do! Do you? Oh, good boy!

Tom's a Libertarian, Tyler and Jobber are both Dems, There's plenty of Europeans with political affiliations I know nothing about, and although I mainly lurk about in there, I'm certainly not a republican. Marney and MikeSC are the only two that come to mind.

Tom isn't a Libertarian, he's a libertarian (small L) who votes Republican. Mike and I are obviously Republicans, and I'm pretty sure Vern Gagne, Spicy McHaggis, Vyce, and Downhome are too. Tyler and Jobber are obviously Democrats, but there are several more who tend to that side of the ideological spectrum - DeputyHawk and Zorin Industries are among the better ones. I'm probably forgetting any number of people, but a lot of the less regular posters are Democrats, or at least liberals. Anyway, the numbers are irrelevant; the only thing that matters is the strength of the argument. More people agreeing with you doesn't make you right.

The problem with CE is that almost all the most prominent posters are Republican

Hilarious. So the CE folder would be just fine and dandy if we could only kick out all those gosh darn Republican nutjobs and let in only good sane Democrats and enlightened Europeans?

Well see the point of the folder is to discuss different points of view on social, political, cultural, economic, military, and international issues. Some points of view happen to be identified with Republicans, some with Democrats, and some with neither. So it rather sounds as if you're trying to win every argument you could possibly have by default - ban the Republicans, and CE will turn into a wonderland of happiness where the niceness police, as fk teale would say, keep order for you with their candycane batons. Sorry, chuckles, but it's not going to work out that way. You're just going to have to put up with points of view you don't agree with. It's this little something we ignorant Americans like to call "freedom of speech." I'm sure you've progressed beyond that in your far more advanced part of the world, but we're a little slow on this side of the pond - y'know, like you're so fond of saying, we're all a bunch of racist neo-Nazi imperialist lying murdering backwoods hayseed cowboys - so you'll have to forgive us. I'm sure your shining example will lead us to the light soon enough.*

Christ, I haven't seen such pompous condescending posturing, such insufferable stuck-up arrogant elitist bullshit since I was at that Senate subcommittee a week ago. You're trying to defeat the entire POINT of the folder by excluding all views but your own? Listen you gibbering idiot, we go to that folder to ARGUE, not to agree with each other before we've even discussed evidence and reason. Another quaint outdated tradition we Americans like to practice is that of debate; that's how our poor backwards little country was FOUNDED. That is how we get to the truth. That is how we test our ideas and that is why that goddamn folder EXISTS.

Do you fucking get it yet?

*When hell freezes over.

I still maintain that Marney's post I quoted to kick off this thread is inherrently racist

Well isn't that special. See, this is precisely why very few people in the CE folder take you seriously. You're completely impervious to argument. It doesn't matter what anyone else says, you're secure in your beliefs and nothing will change them, and if anyone contradicts you using those silly irrelevant things we dumb American yokels call FACTS you just ignore them and stay sitting all nice and snug in your little make-believe world of sugar-biscuits and treacle. You have been told over and over that the French are not a race (despite some attempt to redefine reality by using an online dictionary). You have been told over and over that the post you object to was an obvious joke. You have been told, by me, that I have nothing against individual French people apart from the opinions they might (probably) hold, and disliking someone for holding an opinion you find objectionable is NOT FUCKING RACIST, do you understand any of this yet? Am I getting through to you? Because if I'm a racist and you dislike me for my racist opinions, well you're doing the same thing you're accusing me of doing because you're assuming that I as a rational adult am responsible for my own informed opinions and... you do understand the King's English, right? I mean this isn't a foreign language for you or anything? Do you accept basic logical axioms such as a=a and if a=b then b=a and if a=b and b=c then a=c? Are you still following me? Because if so I'd like your next reply, if there is one (please God forbid), to be something OTHER than a bland restatement of your original assertion which has been PROVED false so very many more times than it deserved to be because anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together should've been able to glance at it for merely two and a half seconds and see that it was not only obviously false but quite frankly downright ridiculous, and I'm so very tired of addressing it and pretending that you actually have some pathetic facsimile of a point somewhere in the midst of that massive pile of reeking festering shit that comprises your posts. Do you understand? Do you? Huh? Do you? Do you? Make Mommy happy and say you do! Do you? Oh, good boy!

And that post shows up everything I believe to be wrong with CE. Instead of just saying "no, I respect your opinions, but I strongly disagree", people have to turn everything into an oh so intellectual flame.

When I said that the problem with CE is that all the most prominent posters were Republican, my point was that when the majority of posters, or at least the most vocal ones, belong to the same political party or have the same idiological views then it becomes harder to have an open debate without others sayin "no, you're wrong". In fact, you agreed with me in your post, so lets chalk this up as one that we both agree on.

As for your second point, i still maintain that your original post was racist. Xenophobic may have been a better term, but that isn't in the TSM rules, so I chose racist as the best fit. I'm not saying you're racist or that I dislike you for it, but I am saying that the original post prejudices against a minority, and that's against the rules. I could handle it if it was a one-off, but it happens countless times in CE and IMHO it should be cut down on. Nothing that anyone has said or told me in this thread has diswayed me, not because I'm stubborn but because it's all been personal opnions. Feel free to show me proof that it's not prejudiced if you want Marney, and if it's a good arguement I'll change my mind, but I'm not going to change my point of view simply because everybody else says "no it isn't".

And I'd still like to know what the board would consider the minimum qualifications for a racist post.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

EDIT: thought better of my comment.

this isn't settling anything is only causing hurt feelings. arguements are getting no sold. perhaps it's time to close it?

Closing it sounds like a good idea at this point.

I've banned people for racist comments in CE before. But silly jokes about the French do not qualify as racism, no matter how many teeth are gnashed and no matter how many tears are shed.