TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ghettoman

To DrTom:

If you would have been banned and had someone else relay your point, that would be different. You weren't so shut up.

But a warning wasn't even neccesary

A warning wasn't necessary? Exactly what do you expect the staff to do when a virulent racial slur appears in a post? Look the other way? My impression of the post in question was that you were trying to make a point, but that's a poor way to make it.

so how you expect me to be ok with a suspension despite admitting to you being in the wrong I just don't get.

Because it was a two-day suspension from a messageboard. Really, have some perspective.

All you had to do was ask me to remove it, and I would have without question.

The point is that it shouldn't have been used in the first place.

What kind of reaction would you expect if you said a certain group was "a bunch of nigger lovers" in a crowded bar? "Oh, but I was just using the word ironically to make a point, tee-hee!" wouldn't go over very well with people who would be lining up to make you swallow your teeth.

You act as if because it's already done, I shouldn't be bothered by it.

Can you change the past? Neither can I. The reasonable thing to do it put it behind you and move on, and by your persistent refusal to do that, you're being unreasonable.

The "I could of but didn't so get over it" just gives off this vibe that there will be no punishment for mods who make mistakes.

The rest of the staff thought I handled the situation properly. You're the one who expects nothing to happen when people post racist slurs in an open forum.

I'd like to leave the issue dead

You should. It's not difficult.

but you seriously can't expect me to just forget it ever happened when it has a bearing on how I'll post here for the rest of the time I'm around.

If a two-day suspension for using a racist slur in an open forum has a bearing on how you post from here on out, that's your problem, not mine. No one's looking over your shoulder or anything like that. There's no witchhunt going on. THe issues here appear to be originating from your end.

all I've gotten was a 'maybe I could of but I didn't so shut up'.

When have I told you to shut up? I've said the issue should be put to rest because what's done is done, and it should. I would've forgotten about it had you not brought it up whenever it became convenient.

And if I think it could happen again, why would I just shut up?

Because everyone is tired of hearing you go on about this. It's over and done with, except you can't let it go. Any sympathy your position might have gotten you has been eroded and destroyed by your conduct since then. Other people have been suspended and gotten over it. Why can't you?

I've tried to be conciliatory here and extend an olive branch, but it's obvious you don't want any parts of that, nor do you want any parts of listening to reason, based on your replies in this thread. So I guess we're back where we started, which means this was a waste of time for everyone. All because you can't let something go.

Guest Ghettoman

Why does everyone act like it takes some strong attachment or emotion or effort to discuss something? This isn't a big issue to me, this is me simply picking a bone I have with something that went down. This whole 'your taking this thing too seriously thing' is just annoying.

"A warning wasn't necessary? Exactly what do you expect the staff to do when a virulent racial slur appears in a post? Look the other way? My impression of the post in question was that you were trying to make a point, but that's a poor way to make it. "

Simply tell me in the thread or over PM that it's not acceptable and ask or demand I remove it. I would of. Wouldn't of required any effort beyond that. But you didn't even warn me, so I don't see how thats relevant.

"Because it was a two-day suspension from a messageboard. Really, have some perspective."

Again like I'm sitting at my computer with great intensity while doing this.

"The point is that it shouldn't have been used in the first place.

What kind of reaction would you expect if you said a certain group was "a bunch of nigger lovers" in a crowded bar? "Oh, but I was just using the word ironically to make a point, tee-hee!" wouldn't go over very well with people who would be lining up to make you swallow your teeth."

Why the jump to suspension when there's at least two options before that? And how over it would be with a crowd of people isn't my point, my point is the action taken wasn't neccesary in the least and created more of an issue than there ever was.

"Can you change the past? Neither can I. The reasonable thing to do it put it behind you and move on, and by your persistent refusal to do that, you're being unreasonable."

How am I being unreasonable? I feel like I was suspended without reason, so I've voiced my opinion on the matter. Pretty simple to me. The only time this became a big issue was when everyone else decided it was.

"The rest of the staff thought I handled the situation properly. You're the one who expects nothing to happen when people post racist slurs in an open forum."

Well I clearly have a different view of how things were handled, and I'm going to express that like I have.

"You should. It's not difficult."

It is when all you want is a discussion about it and you end up with a pissing contest.

"If a two-day suspension for using a racist slur in an open forum has a bearing on how you post from here on out, that's your problem, not mine. No one's looking over your shoulder or anything like that. There's no witchhunt going on. THe issues here appear to be originating from your end."

I'm not saying there is, I'm saying I don't understand why you went to a step in dealing with it that made it more of an issue than it ever was. There was no uproar in that thread about it, I highly doubt you got your pm box filled with complaints. A simple pm or post in the thread would of made the entire thing dead from go.

I mean look at how the thread panned out:

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...opic=50176&st=0

Does it seem like my comment was a bigger issue than my suspension? And hell you didn't even edit it out of my post so if it was a problem it still is!

"When have I told you to shut up? I've said the issue should be put to rest because what's done is done, and it should. I would've forgotten about it had you not brought it up whenever it became convenient."

Because I don't think the situation was handled properly, and saying I should just drop it when you still act as if you were justified isn't going to make me feel like it's been resolved.

"Because everyone is tired of hearing you go on about this. It's over and done with, except you can't let it go. Any sympathy your position might have gotten you has been eroded and destroyed by your conduct since then. Other people have been suspended and gotten over it. Why can't you?"

It's not done with, with because you continue to act like it was justified when it wasn't. And because you seemingly were getting close before I can assume you've gone backwards for reasons of ego. Simply admit your wrong and do your best to let me know I won't be suspended without reason again. Then it will be over simply and heck, who knows, maybe we can be friends! :)

"I've tried to be conciliatory here and extend an olive branch, but it's obvious you don't want any parts of that, nor do you want any parts of listening to reason, based on your replies in this thread. So I guess we're back where we started, which means this was a waste of time for everyone. All because you can't let something go."

How will I not listen to reason? I haven't been given good reason yet. I don't know what you call an olive branch but barely admitting wrong doing without really conceding the point and then going back on it entirely isn't exactly something to grab onto.

If you people don't want this to be a big issue, stop coming in to see who said what, stop forming opinions on the thing, stop viewing the thread. Thats the only thing making this an issue, the audience. So please lets just have me and DrTom hopefully sort this out logically ourselves.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I think it was completely justified. the "N" word is a big deal so taking what can be termed a radical reaction is suitable. the punishment fits the crime

Guest EQ

Ghettoman, I'm not the biggest DrTom fan at TSM, but even I think you should just drop this issue. He suspended you, it's off now. What do you really want out of all this?

As far as the audience being the only thing fueling this whole thing, how this situation is (eventually) resolved will set a precedent for the future in case a similar situation ever comes up again. In a way, it concerns all of us.

If you really didn't want the rest of the board involved, why'd you start a thread about it as opposed to PMing DrTom?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Lets all beat our heads against a brick wall!!!

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I hurt myself last time you told me to do that...

Guest Ghettoman

"I think it was completely justified. the "N" word is a big deal so taking what can be termed a radical reaction is suitable. the punishment fits the crime"

View the thread, it was hardly a big deal and calling it a crime is laughable.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

But isn't this giving you a wose headache than that? I think it was more constructive too.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

that's because my pain amuses you.

View the thread, it was hardly a big deal and calling it a crime is laughable.
it's a freaking euphemism

Guest FrigidSoul
I think it was completely justified. the "N" word is a big deal so taking what can be termed a radical reaction is suitable. the punishment fits the crime

You no good dirty Nig...

gard

Guest cobainwasmurdered

You no good dirty Nig...

gard

yeah, that was funny...not

So why doesn't Flyboy get suspended for dropping the "N Bomb" every time he shows up?

That gets into the whole 'Blacks can say it, whites can't" argument that's sure to open up a whole new can of worms.

Why does everyone act like it takes some strong attachment or emotion or effort to discuss something? This isn't a big issue to me, this is me simply picking a bone I have with something that went down. This whole 'your taking this thing too seriously thing' is just annoying.

Then why do you keep bitching?

I thought he used the word in a way where he was just talking about the word or something, that's what he's made it sound like.

Oh well.

He better be glad he was just suspended, people could be banned over using racial slurs on here.

The Chappelle Show thread aside, "nigger" has been dropped a lot in the forums, and no discernable punishment has been applied.

Hillary Clinton will shout "Niggers!" from the balcony, then crouch and giggle.

This is in the "State of the Union" thread in CE, first page. No reprimand from anyone, in fact, Tom enters the thread only to belittle some bizarre joke about Millard Fillmore.

Guest FrigidSoul

I admit to using the word, but it was in debate over how it came to be and the definition of it.

Also, in all seriousness did the first slaves come from Nigeria? If so that may be another reason why the word was born.