TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Guest BANKYWOOD

Everyone is sleeping on the Isles, even though they dominated the season series this year. In addition, I'd be hard pressed to find a better young goalie than DiPietro (when he's hot). If he's off, they're out in 4. If he's on, the Isles will win in 5 or 6.

That's the one place where I'd put the Islanders at an advantage; Goaltending.

I just don't see how they're going to cover all of Tampa's forwards. Aucoin can do it, but he can only cover one at a time, and Tampa comes at you in waves.

I agree though. If DiPietro can turn it up, Tampa can't match that goaltending.

Fascinating. Someone at the Tampa Bay Lightning website must have been really bored as, apparently, if you highlight their playoff schedule, it gives you scores for six of the seven games against the Islanders. It has the Lightning going over in 7 after a 2-1 triple overtime victory.

I just don't see how they're going to cover all of Tampa's forwards. Aucoin can do it, but he can only cover one at a time, and Tampa comes at you in waves.

I can guarentee you that everytime St. Louis is on the ice, Peca will be right behind him. Peca has been playing his best hockey as of late and the whole team is starting to get hot. Aucoin has 9 goals in last 10 games, Hamerlik has been playing great as of late and Ninnima hasn't been dumb lately, Yash/Mariuz/Kvasha line is hot as well. The Isles will miss Blake b/c he kills Tampa with his speed.

If you look at the 4 games played during the regular season, St. Louis/Lecav have only scored 1 goal combined. Like people have been saying, if Ricky can get hot (he's been playing great in the last few games), the should win this series. Also the Isles own Bulin'

Guest BANKYWOOD

Aucoin, Niimena, Hamirlik, Johhanson, Karpotsev, and Carins/Martinek is actually a pretty steady defense. The Isles need Yashin, Parrish, and Czerchovski to turn up the scoring. I think that can be more of a problem.

Ps. Aucoin should at least be a candidate for the Norris. He has like a +29 rating on a pretty mediocre team. That is exceptional.

Aucoin is sooo underrated. The guy plays 25-30 min every night consistenly (Top 5 in minutes played) and he doesn't get tired. He has the hardest shot in the NHL and he's very smart. Great player all around and puts up steady numbers.

Parrish will step up, Czechovski, and Yashin will be stuck behind a glass ceiling like so many European players, they'll be un-noticided.

The Isles need Yashin, Parrish, and Czerchovski to turn up the scoring. I think that can be more of a problem.

Tampa only scored 8 more goals then the Isles this yr. TB-3rd in EC w/245 and Isles 4th w/237

FUCK. Evidently, no first-round coverage for:

Senators-Maple Leafs

Canucks-Flames

Blues-Sharks

Bruins-Canadiens

Flyers-Devils

Unless I interpreted the Bottom Line wrong and they're rotating between the other three series for Game Ones and those five for Game Twos, this is nothing short of insane.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

I think NESN has exclusive dibs on the first-rounder between Habs-Bruins. Either that, or they are putting it on ESPN2. Rumors had been flying around the press box up here though that NESN would have the exclusives on the first-rounders though.

With that, though, it means I have press access to all Fleet games for the first round. YES~!

NHL Center Ice has the first two rounds, all the games.

Plus, if you buy next season now, you'll get the first two rounds.

I'm doing that, since apparently the battle of Ontario and the hatred that the two team have for each other means nothing to ESPN.

I think NESN has exclusive dibs on the first-rounder between Habs-Bruins. Either that, or they are putting it on ESPN2. Rumors had been flying around the press box up here though that NESN would have the exclusives on the first-rounders though.

It's gotta be NESN then because ESPN2 was given too...Stars-Avs? I forgot, I was too pissed. Last year we had everything but Sens and Isles and it was bliss. Did it ever occur to anyone that especially with Original Six teams, they have widespread national followings and regional coverage wouldn't be fair?

Well it could've been worse, ESPN could've blacked out Opening Day even though it was a road game for the Cubs that wasn't being carried on channel 9, and I'm 50 miles away from Chicago. Oh wait

well I could give two shits about ESPN's "hockey" coverage with they will pre-empt with reruns of Cold Pizza, since being in metro Detroit we get CBC and hopefully i can see all of the awesomeness of Ottawa-Toronto. Shit if I wasnt at college and could have gotten tickets I would have made the 3 and a half hour drive to Toronto to see one of the games. Btw, Sens in 7

anybody watched TSN?

Dave Hodge says Dallas and Toronto, Toronto winning the cup.

Its not going to happen

Eh, Dave Hodge is getting senile anyway.

I have Detroit (over Dallas) and Ottawa (over Tampa Bay) reaching the finals.

My picks:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning over (8) New York Islanders

(2) Boston Bruins over (7) Montreal Canadiens

(3) Philadelphia Flyers over (6) New Jersey Devils

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs lose to (5) Ottawa Senators

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings over (8) Nashville Predators

(2) San Jose Sharks lose to (7) St. Louis Blues

(3) Vancouver Canucks over (6) Calgary Flames

(4) Colorado Avalanche lose to (5) Dallas Stars

I am STOKED for these playoffs, I tell you. Even if I'm 100% wrong in my picks, the rest of the playoffs will be incredible. I can't wait.

I will need to decide between watching the games on ESPN or listening to Don Cherry's dumb ass.

Considering Cherry is only on pregame,first intermission and postgame...always go with the CBC coverage over ESPN.

Fuck ESPN and their hockey coverage. Except Dave Strader. He gets an exemption from the 'fuck' clause.

Yeah but it's enough.

East

Tampa Bay vs. NY Islanders - Tampa in 6.

Because I believe TB has some great offense and they had one of the best winning streaks in the league.

Boston vs. Montreal - Boston in 5.

Because I believe Raycroft can carry this team also their offense isn't bad with Joe Thorton in the lineup

Philadelphia vs. New Jersey Philadephia in 7.

Because I hate the Devils for beating the Senators and the Ducks last year. Philadephia's offense should be able to penatrate NJ's defense. Plus, I believe Scott Stevens is still on the IR.

Toronto vs. Ottawa - Toronto in 6.

I think Ron Francis and Brian Leetch were good that Toronto picked up. Toronto will be fine if Ed Belfour's back holds up.

West

The Western Conference

Detroit vs. Nashville - Detroit in 6.

Detroit won't take them seriously enough during the first two games. Then Detroit will crush them.

San Jose vs. St. Louis - San Jose in 6.

I like that Ron Wilson was able to take one ot the worst teams in the Western Conference the last season and then make them top of the Pacific Division this season.

Vancouver vs. Calgary - Calgary in 6.

I saw Calgary play the Ducks last Sunday and I thought they were good. They scored a short handed goal on Giguere. Anyway, I believe Calgary is fired up enough to make it past the first round while the Todd Bertuzzi hit is still on the minds of the team.

Colorado vs. Dallas - Dallas in 4.

So what if Colorado took Paul Kariya from Anaheim. Does that make biased? I hope Turco shuts them out. I hope the fourth game is 15-0 Stars that way Ron Tugnutt can get some playing time. Go Stars.

My head is spinning over all the possible playoff permutations in the East. About the only thing I know for sure at this point is that Tampa bay is going to beat the Islanders.

Fortunately, my hockey pool draft isn't until tomorrow, so I have an entire day still to agonize...

anybody watched TSN?

Dave Hodge says Dallas and Toronto, Toronto winning the cup.

Its not going to happen

Eh, Dave Hodge is getting senile anyway.

I have Detroit (over Dallas) and Ottawa (over Tampa Bay) reaching the finals.

As much as I'd like the Leafs to win, I have a hard time picturing ANY team from the East winning the Cup this year. A lot of the series are potential 7-gamers, and it just seems to me that whoever comes out of the West won't have as much of a grind to get to the finals.

However, my BIAS has me pick the Leafs to come out of the East, with Detroit winning the Cup and overcoming the President's Cup hex... but I wouldn't complain if I was wrong and the Leafs won it all...

Nick Boynton was interviewed on a Toronto station, and was quoted as saying that Thornton will be playing in game 1. Everyone around here has been presuming that he would, but up until now no one from the organization gave any positive indication about it.

Joe Thornton at less than 100% is still > a lot of other players at 100%.

I did a playoff preview in my SNL review but here's the cliff notes:

Tampa in 5

Boston in 6

Devils in 6

Leafs in 7 :-)

Wings in 4

Blues in 7

Canucks in 6

Stars in 6

I wonder what the post-game celebration and subsequent riot would be like if the Leafs won the Cup?

Anyway, my picks:

Tampa in 6

Bruins in 5

Devils in 7

Senators in 6

Red Wings in 4

Sharks 5

Canucks 7

Stars 7

I wonder what the post-game celebration and subsequent riot would be like if the Leafs won the Cup?

I remember when the Jays won, where it was fun and crazy but there wasn't a whole lot of phyical damage. The Leafs winning could be different, but you'd kinda hope there wouldn't be - really, that's all you can hope for with ANY victory celebration for ANY team.

Still, that's getting way, way ahead of ourselves. The Battle of Ontario hasn't even started yet, and we could conceivably see the biggest riot in Ottawa since... um... well, maybe ever. I'm not up on my Ottawa riots history.

Oh, and if any of you Ottawa fans are lucky enough to get tix to a game at the ACC, I heartily recommend getting some Thai food at Salad King near the Eaton Centre (and Ryerson). Just don't order spiciness above 5 or you'll regret it.

I've never eaten at the Salad King even though I've walked by it a million times.

What do they have beside salad?

I got playoff tickets last year for Games 3 and 6 but I'm still paying that off so I thought it was wise to just watch the game on TV.

Interesting fact:

Every playoff game that the Leafs won- I was at the Air Canada Centre.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (8) New York Islanders (Stellar goaltending and a team that is really coming together, permitting St.Louis and Lecavalier don't fall into a slump, NYI has been playing pretty well lately however...) in 6

(2) Boston Bruins vs. (7) Montreal Canadiens(Yeah, I'm a Habs fan, and yeah, they're gonna beat the Bruins again because Montreal is much more well-rounded than they were 2 years ago, putting that recent 5 game losing streak aside, including a loss to the Bruins, the Habs will pick their game up, along with Jose Theodore) in 6

(3) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (6) New Jersey Devils(NJ is just a killer every year, probably to finals again) in 7

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (5) Ottawa Senators (Toronto has more experience and the Sens are just NOT a good playoff team) in 6

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Nashville Predators (How did Nashville get into the playoffs anyway?) in 4

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) St. Louis Blues (St.Louis will finally break their upset tendencies, with an upset of their own) in 7

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Calgary Flames (Calgary's first playoff appearance in 7 years (?) will be short lived with a quick series against a much more experienced Vancouver) in 5

(4) Colorado Avalanche vs. (5) Dallas Stars (Tough one to call, but Aebischer just can not carry the Avs) in 6

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning

(2) Boston Bruins

(6) New Jersey Devils

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(8) Nashville Predators

(2) San Jose Sharks

(6) Calgary Flames

(4) Colorado Avalanche