TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

No, I fully understand why he'd say that the Cowboys or Yankees were "America's Team" ... what I don't understand is why he'd throw in an uneccessary pot-shot on the Lightning for winning. Did he make jokes about the Devils last year? Or the Avs/Wings/Stars/etc. before that?

Actually he made the pot-shot on Friday (when Tampa was still losing the series, mind you) and he was mocking the whole stupidity of the "US vs. Canada" thing that arose during the SC final

That's how I saw it, anyway

It's an un-needed pot-shot at a sport that he barely covers anymore. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

I'll pass, thanks. But I'm sure that Rome would love it...

As an American fan, of a team that's been around longer than most current Canadian teams, I think it's a fucking insult that people up North are making this a "Canada vs. the US" thing.  Do you think Boston fans love the idea of a team from Florida winning the Cup?  I was pretty much apathetic about who won (just wanted good hockey) but now that I see that it's an us-vs.them thing, I'm stoked that the American team won.

6 Canadian teams to...how many American teams?

It's about pride.

But we Americans don't necessarily love the idea of their being teams in Florida, Carolina, Arizona, Texas or California, either ... trust me, I'd rather have an old-time team win than an expansion team, regardless of where they're from.

I just find it kind of offensive that all US teams have been lumped together, it's as if the Bruins or Red Wings or Blackhawks are every bit as bad for hockey as a team like the Lightning.

You can have your pride, but to make it a "US vs. Canada" thing rather than just a "that city shouldn't have a team at all and is part of the expansion that's killing the sport that I love" thing is fucked up.

There should be about 3 American team moved to Canada (maybe 4) and 5 should be contracted. Then the NHL will be its best. 20 teams.

What three teams are going to Canada, and where in Canada will they outdraw the U.S. cities they are leaving?

What three teams are going to Canada, and where in Canada will they outdraw the U.S. cities they are leaving?

Well, none ARE going there, but there are a few that could (and potentially should).

Phoenix would look awfully nice back in Winnipeg. Maybe send Carolina Quebec City. And I'm sure that another team could be supported in Ontario; while I know the Leafs would never allow it, I'm pretty sure that Toronto could support two teams. Maybe put the Penguins up there.

And then fold some of the sunbelt teams, and in a few years fold some of these new teams, and then things are normal again.

while I know the Leafs would never allow it, I'm pretty sure that Toronto could support two teams. Maybe put the Penguins up there.

It's not likely that Toronto would support a second team. Hamilton would be the place to put a team, and the Leafs wouldn't mind (as long as they got some cash out of it) but Buffalo would never let that happen.

What about Halifax or St. Johns? The Mooseheads & Maple Leafs...err...St. Johns Maple Leafs, dont cut the mustard for me.

Halifax is a great plce to live in. I know I have lived there twice. Actually before this year is out it could be three times...

Guest Rrrsh
As an American fan, of a team that's been around longer than most current Canadian teams, I think it's a fucking insult that people up North are making this a "Canada vs. the US" thing.  Do you think Boston fans love the idea of a team from Florida winning the Cup?  I was pretty much apathetic about who won (just wanted good hockey) but now that I see that it's an us-vs.them thing, I'm stoked that the American team won.

6 Canadian teams to...how many American teams?

It's about pride.

But we Americans don't necessarily love the idea of their being teams in Florida, Carolina, Arizona, Texas or California, either ... trust me, I'd rather have an old-time team win than an expansion team, regardless of where they're from.

I just find it kind of offensive that all US teams have been lumped together, it's as if the Bruins or Red Wings or Blackhawks are every bit as bad for hockey as a team like the Lightning.

You can have your pride, but to make it a "US vs. Canada" thing rather than just a "that city shouldn't have a team at all and is part of the expansion that's killing the sport that I love" thing is fucked up.

There should be about 3 American team moved to Canada (maybe 4) and 5 should be contracted. Then the NHL will be its best. 20 teams.

Winnapeg, Hamilton, Quebec and Halifax would out draw and just plain make more money than Carolina, Florida, Anahiem and Pheniox

Halifax would be a goldmine for the NHL, the metro center has been sold out to many times to count by the friggen Mooseheads for god sakes, just imagine what a NHL team could probally do there.

Halifax would be a goldmine for the NHL, the metro center has been sold out to many times to count by the friggen Mooseheads for god sakes, just imagine what a NHL team could probally do there.

I'm guessing the capacity of the Metro Centre is between 10,000 and 15,000? But 15,000 a night, supposedly that wasn't even enough for the Whalers to stay in Hartford, but then again, the whole move to North Carolina was a pretty shady one. I'm looking at you, N.C. State.

Running the Mooseheads probably costs 1/10th as much as running an NHL franchise, if that. There aren't enough people with money in Nova Scotia to pay NHL-level dollars for tickets to support an NHL franchise night after night.

Guest Rrrsh
Seattle needs an NHL team.

Portland is a far better Hockey city than Seattle.

I would LOVE for Pittsburg to move to Portland.

Screw Portland and Seattle, we need more then 6 Canadain teams.

Guest Rrrsh
Screw Portland and Seattle, we need more then 6 Canadain teams.

I have already said that Carolina, Anahiem, Flordia and Nashville should be moved to Winnapeg, Quebec, Hamilton and Halifax

Guest Rrrsh
The Seattle area already supports two minor league hockey teams.

I wouldnt mind a team their, I would just rather Portland. I do think Seattle would be better than, say, San Jose.

Seattles name....The Seattle Space Needles. :D

Seattle needs an NHL team.

Portland is a far better Hockey city than Seattle.

I would LOVE for Pittsburg to move to Portland.

I'd hate the Pens, but I'd hate to see them leave Pittsburgh. I don't know why the NHL decided to expand into the South over the Pacific Northwest, it would seem like it would be a better area for hockey.

Putting a team in Seattle would only hurt the Canucks, I think. Anyone in Seattle who really wants to see an NHL game can just drive up to Vancouver so I don't really see the point of putting a team in a place where it would hurt another team. Main reason, probably, that Hamilton has gotten passed over for a team so many times, as it would hurt Buffalo (and to a much lesser extent, Toronto).

Guest Rrrsh

The Canucks sold out every game last year, I dont think it would hurt too much. Plus Seattle is farther than you think from Vancouver.

I think the Hamilton thing has some merit, however, towards Buffalo.

Seattle is about a 3 hour drive. It's doable, but with hockey games ending at about 10 pm, that means you get home around 1.

I think a team in Seattle would be great. Insta-rivalry with Vancouver, and the climate is way better for hockey than, say, Florida.

Indeed. It would be a 3-5 hour trip to Vancouver (Because you have to include the FREAKING BORDER which can take an hour to get through). It's almost not worth the hassle.

Guest Rrrsh
Indeed. It would be a 3-5 hour trip to Vancouver (Because you have to include the FREAKING BORDER which can take an hour to get through). It's almost not worth the hassle.

I think 3.5 hour drive on non weekends wouldnt be done by most.

I've gotten across the border in as little as 15 minutes... or as long as an hour. Depends on the day and the staffing at the border. The Washington/BC border is a very busy one.

I've gotten across the border in as little as 15 minutes... or as long as an hour. Depends on the day and the staffing at the border. The Washington/BC border is a very busy one.

Yeah, it really depends. I've pretty much driven right through at the Sumas crossing...just show them your passport and you're done. I'm planning on making the trip out for a Seahawks game this year, so hopefully the wait isn't too bad.