TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

The Return of Hal Jordon as Green Lantern

from newsarama.com

HAL JORDAN RETURNS IN OCTOBER'S REBIRTH       

Newsarama has learned that tomorrow’s Wizard #152 will send Hal Jordan fans into fits of glee. The issue contains an article outlining how, in the October-debuting Green Lantern: Rebirth, a five issue miniseries by Geoff Johns and Ethan VanSciver, Hal Jordan will return to the DCU in a costumed form, and with a ring.

The current Green Lantern series will end with issue #181 in September.

Johns is quoted in the article, saying that the storyline will encompass all facets of the Green Lantern mythos, including John Stewart, Guy Gardner, the Spectre, Alan Scott, and Kyle Rayner, who will, according to Johns, play a major role.

And somewhere, members of H.E.A.T. (Hal's Emerald Advancement Team), who have lobbied for the return of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern for eight years are smiling – some for the first time in eight years, when it comes to the franchise.

Rumors of Jordan’s return have been circulating throughout comics fandom for years, basically, since Jordan went nutso in the Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight storyline, killed a bunch of Green Lanterns, became Parallax, took an arrow to the chest in Zero Hour, and died saving the solar system by restarting the sun in Final Night.

During the Day of Judgment miniseries, Jordan becomes the new human host for the Spectre, who had recently dumped Jim Corrigan (Corrigan, jilted, went to Heaven). Jordan was the Spectre since 1999, traveling the path to redemption. Most recently, however, the Spectre/Jordan relationship has been on the rocks,  as seen in JSA #60’s (written by Johns) – “Redemption Lost” which has a badly beaten Spectre/Jordan appearing before members of the JSA, saying that he had lost redemption, signifying, at the very least, that the character was undergoing some serious changes.

The rumors of Jordan’s return gained significant traction last year, when new Green Lantern editor Pete Tomasi told fans at a comic convention that they would be very happy in 2004. Last winter, at a book signing for Mythology, Alex Ross told fans, when asked about Hal Jordan returning as Green Lantern, “We won!” Peppered throughout Hal Jordan/Spectre appearances most recently (written by Johns), hints have been liberally dropped that a change was coming for Jordan.

The latest hints came through Wizard's own solicitation for its July issue (#154), which read: "Tying into DC's upcoming Rebirth mini-series, Geoff Johns tells us what he thinks about the longstanding Green Lantern debate as we count down why Hal must get the ring back!"

The solicitation information was quickly changed on Diamond's website to remove all mention of things Rebirth.

DC’s Dan Didio is quoted in the article as saying, "I've always believed that Hal is one of the greatest heroes of the DCU. In my opinion, the path he was taken down in some ways diminished his role and his impact as a hero in the universe. And there’s so many unresolved issues concerning Hal, the Spectre, and the GL Corps itself. So we wanted to rebuilt Hal's character, addressing all the things that occurred in his life that made and unmade the man--and at the same time rebuild the essence of what the Green lanterns stand for.”

Didio went on to say that in his eyes, Green Lantern should become the #3 franchise from DC, behind Superman and Batman.

The full story is in Wizard #152

Well, I can't believe it. There was no need to do this. So what does everyone else think about this?

I've only been half-assedly paying attention to comics since the mid-90's, but I mark a little for this

What has happened/will happen to Kyle?

Hal is the definitive Green Lantern, but I feel kind of doubtful about how they'll handle his return. I know that sales is definitely part of this; lets face it, GL is never a well selling or buzz book. I can see it being big the first story arc of the new GL series and all of the obligatory guest appearances in the other major titles, but then GL fading back to his B level status.

Personally, I liked what happened when they put Kyle in the role of GL. It was great watching him grow into the role as one of the top level super heroes in DC. On the other hand, watching Hal's spiral into madness and his redemption as Parrallax and Spectre was really well done. The last Spectre series wasn't that bad when they weren't trying to do Sandman type stories.

I've only been half-assedly paying attention to comics since the mid-90's, but I mark a little for this

What has happened/will happen to Kyle?

They haven't said. But DC is doing another *big event* mini series this summer and they have said that one character will wind up getting killed, so maybe that.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Hal is the definitive Green Lantern, but I feel kind of doubtful about how they'll handle his return. I know that sales is definitely part of this; lets face it, GL is never a well selling or buzz book. I can see it being big the first story arc of the new GL series and all of the obligatory guest appearances in the other major titles, but then GL fading back to his B level status.

Personally, I liked what happened when they put Kyle in the role of GL. It was great watching him grow into the role as one of the top level super heroes in DC. On the other hand, watching Hal's spiral into madness and his redemption as Parrallax and Spectre was really well done. The last Spectre series wasn't that bad when they weren't trying to do Sandman type stories.

Batman wouldn't be selling very well if they'd gotten rid of Bruce Wayne, either.

Fucking GREEN LANTERN is back. Let Kyle be The Spectre now.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Anything significant happen to Kyle's character in the last 5 years or so?

Yeah, he went from a guy with a GL ring to being almost as good as Hal. Then he absorbed all the GLs and became Ion and almost went Hal Jordan on us. Now he's normal again.

Anything significant happen to Kyle's character in the last 5 years or so?

Yeah, he went from a guy with a GL ring to being almost as good as Hal. Then he absorbed all the GLs and became Ion and almost went Hal Jordan on us. Now he's normal again.

I took a leave from actively reading comic books around 1996, and started reading again in late 2001/early 2002 during Kyle's Ion phase. Basically what happened was that once he relived himself of the Ion powers, he reignited the GL Power Battery which in turn wound up returning the guardians (the little blue guys who run the GL corps). The only difference is that they are all extremely young and stil children. Kyle decided that too much of the galaxy had been abandoned once the Corps was destroyed, so he went into space to help where ever he was needed. He reappointed John Stewart as Earth's GL.

Personally, his life has gotten more interesting. The series dealt with Kyle's gay friend being the victim of a hate crime, and Kyle even winding up getting engaged to Jade (the green woman with the power of a GL ring and the daughter of the original GL, Alan Scott). Me being broke has forced me to stop reading stuff cold turkey, and last I read it seemed like Jade was in the process of trying to back out of the engagement or cheating on Kyle.

Guest The Midnight Rocking Warrior

Zsaz, I take back anything bad I have ever said about you. They needed to do this Kyle has been the Luger to Hal's Hogan. I.E. Kyle has always been made to look like a weakling, and will never escape Hal's shadow. Don't believe me? Name one hero Kyle has beaten ( besides a drained Silver Surfer), Kyle lost to Parralax most of the time, and even if he hadn't, his character was basically Peter Parker with a power ring. Hal is GL. Anywho, I predict Alan Scott kicks the bucket.

Zsaz, I take back anything bad I have ever said about you. They needed to do this Kyle has been the Luger to Hal's Hogan. I.E. Kyle has always been made to look like a weakling, and will never escape Hal's shadow. Don't believe me? Name one hero Kyle has beaten ( besides a drained Silver Surfer), Kyle lost to Parralax most of the time, and even if he hadn't, his character was basically Peter Parker with a power ring. Hal is GL. Anywho, I predict Alan Scott kicks the bucket.

What's your preoccupation with hero's beating each other? For your information, during his Ion phase, Kyle started to bring the whoopin' on Superman. He also tussled with Green Arrow without powers. For the most part, it's not Kyle's nature to fight with people. Fighting Parralax doesn't even count, as no one is on the same level as him power wise.

Alan Scott really can't be killed. His powers have made him fairly immortal, although they have been limited in reason years.

Back to the Hal/Kyle question, they've done as good a job as they can as far as seperating the two, and DC did a fairly good job establishing him as THE Green Lantern as far as placement and importance in their scheme of things. The only thing is that GL has never had a really good creative team on it. And that goes for both Kyle and Hal.

Having spent the weekend reading Quiver and two classic Green Lantern/Green Arrow comics (Speedy the Junkie, the Hippie Christ), I'm excited to see where this goes.

I LOVED ONeil/Adams Arrow/Lantern stuff from the seventies. Quiver was really good, too. I really liked how they portrayed Hal as Spectre, and I still think that there is much more they could explore in that way.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Green Arrow/Green lantern from the 70's are the best comics ever.

Yes, better than Watchmen.

Oh hell yeah!

Zsasz and I are agreeing :cheers:

The Comics folder will never be the same.

Oh hell yeah!

Bah. V for Vendetta was far superior to both. As was Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme.

As to Hal Jordan, it's like I said on the ComiX-Fan Board about this, he'll return as A Green Lantern not THE Green Lantern. That's still Kyle. Hal only works as Green Lantern with a large supporting cast, so I expect him to reform the GL Corps with John Stewart.

Oh, and Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) is he who will be offed during Identity Crisis, so they can replace him with the new, better Firestorm.

Guest The Last Free Voice

This is bullshit. they are going to scrap a perfectly good character, who actually has some NEW STORIES left to tell for an old, played out, been there done that charcter becuase a group of fans pissed and moaned for nearly a decade. Fuck DC. Even Johns can't save this bullshit of an abortion.

I would so care!

...if I was still 14.

Well my point is that they are alienating the younger fanbase (me included) who have only known Kyle as GL. I mean, they're doing the same thing to kyle as they did to Hal. hypocracy at it's finest.

Ok, I apologize if for my obvious love for Superhero battles.............. Stevie how did the Spectre get in the state he's in now ( I.E. beaten, battered, etc.)? Even if Guy Gardner was the Lantern that went insane, I've always been partial to Hal, as I've said before, he's my all-time favorite comics character.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Oh hell yeah!

Bah. V for Vendetta was far superior to both. As was Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme.

As to Hal Jordan, it's like I said on the ComiX-Fan Board about this, he'll return as A Green Lantern not THE Green Lantern. That's still Kyle. Hal only works as Green Lantern with a large supporting cast, so I expect him to reform the GL Corps with John Stewart.

Oh, and Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) is he who will be offed during Identity Crisis, so they can replace him with the new, better Firestorm.

GA/GL are better because they are pretty much the ONLY comics I've read that can be really socially relevent, but not come off as hokey and forced. Plus, they were what landed the O'Neil/Adams team the job of bringing BATMAN back to life in the sales charts, thus they're responsible for the continued success of one of DC's best selling characters.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
This is bullshit. they are going to scrap a perfectly good character, who actually has some NEW STORIES left to tell for an old, played out, been there done that charcter becuase a group of fans pissed and moaned for nearly a decade. Fuck DC. Even Johns can't save this bullshit of an abortion.

Actually, you don't know what's going to happen to Kyle. There are a ton of possibilities.

Besides, stories with Hal trying to regain the trust of the heroes and people of Earth that he'd wronged (but were once his friends) could be fantastic.

I never really read GL, but when I worked at a comic book store I would just grab things at random to read (and I was suprised that I liked the Robin books). And I picked up the TPB where Hal just loses it goes nuts on the other Lanterns, and the story ends with Kyle being given the ring.

What's the TPB called? I was never into the series but really liked that story, and all I really buy anymore are TPBs and graphic novels.

Thanks

Guest duck420

man fuck hal jordon. hes such a fucking pansy and the whole parallax shit was WHACK. i want alan scott back

All of the sudden my comments don't seem as stupid.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
All of the sudden my comments don't seem as stupid.

Your comments weren't stupid... I didn't think they were correct, but that doesn't amount to stupid.

I'm kinda like Brodie from Mallrats. It's fifty fifty with me.

Ok, I apologize if for my obvious love for Superhero battles.............. Stevie how did the Spectre get in the state he's in now ( I.E. beaten, battered, etc.)? Even if Guy Gardner was the Lantern that went insane, I've always been partial to Hal, as I've said before, he's my all-time favorite comics character.

The Spectre is yet to be weakened, so I have no idea.

Mr. Z, has Batman forgiven Jordan yet? And if your response is " buy it yourself" can you please tell me what issue it is? Thanks for responding, Stevie

Mr. Z, has Batman forgiven Jordan yet? And if your response is " buy it yourself" can you please tell me what issue it is? Thanks for responding, Stevie

I can explain this one to you. Batman and the league have semi-forgived Hal for going nuts. After he died, they all came out to honor him.

In the current Spectre series, they had an issue which would make me to believe that they would be on some sort of speaking terms. The story involved Hal's niece who he has custody of. Aside from his spiritual duties, he has also wound up taking care of her and she lives in his lair. I forget what the exact reason was, but the JLA at the persistence of Green Arrow came to visit her for her birthday, as he felt really bad because her parents were killed off and has no living relatives (having your uncle serve as the wrath of God doesn't count).

Anyway the whole JLA was there and it was a nice throwaway story. Every one of the JLA members had an appropriate gift for the girl based on themselves, and the main present was a set of dolls of the classic league, with Hal as the Green Lantern.