TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Pat Tillman an "idiot," not a hero

Guest Dids
The College professors probably bought him a beer.

I'm glad I was able to get out of college before they brainwashed me. I had to take two showers after school everyday because I felt extremely dirty listening to their bullshit.

Remember everyone, you should all think differently...cept in college where you should think what they tell you to think.

Huh!?

Where the hell did you go to school?

BTW, couple of examples of knuckleheads who write columns for college papers from the same guy who wrote for my ala mater, Fairfield Universty (in CT)

1) One year the school was reconstructing the gym so for a time period there was no access to rec basketball courts. So the guy rants about how the school was depriving students the rights to play some hoops, seemingly forever, all for the price of improving the facilities for the school's team

Being curious I actually called the athletic department to see what was up and they said that the courts would be reopened soon, i.e. a month or two (and they were)

Now, I can see if you wait out whatever you were told, and then a month or two more passed and you wanted to write a scathing report about why delays are happening and broken promises and such but this chucklehead saw that his court was being taken away and BOOM "I'm gonna write a nasty column!" without doing, you know, ACTUAL RESEARCH ON THE MATTER!

2) It was announced that LL Cool J was coming to do a show at the college (this is sometime in the late 1990's) so the guy writes a scathing opinion piece that Fairfield was "behind the times" and "no one here gives a damn about LL Cool J anymore" and such, never mind that they had Billy Joel come up during his "An Evening of Questions and Music" tour

Well, everyone IS entitled to their opinions, but the LL Cool J concert turned out to be one of the most successfull concert Fairfield U ever put on. Don't know if it says much but it should have shut the guy up about the "with it-ness" of whoever selected LL Cool J, and again the guy ranted half cocked without doing a little research to see who else was available to do a show at the venue and at the price range Fairfield was committed to spending, instead it came off just as an anti-LL Cool J/80's rap article and seemed like the guy was just ranting off the top of his head

Steve

Does anyone outside of college actually read college newspapers?

Nope. I think this, and my examples kind of proves that its more of an outlet for "wanna-be" opinonists who wouldn't know the first thing about journalism to throw their opinions on paper when in actuality their drivel is more appropriate in the "Letters To The Editor" section rather than an actual column or article in the paper.

Its something that looks good on a resume, but the bottom line is, mostly its a voluntary gig that sometimes is based on "who you know" rather than actual talent or actual thought of having a career in the field

Steve

Guest Redhawk

But you don't have to know anything about journalism to write a good opinion column. Even professional papers have local activists, business owners, etc., who aren't journalists write columns. As an opinion editor at a college paper, I know a lot of people who think you have to be a journalism major in order to write for the paper, which isn't true.

But you don't have to know anything about journalism to write a good opinion column. Even professional papers have local activists, business owners, etc., who aren't journalists write columns. As an opinion editor at a college paper, I know a lot of people who think you have to be a journalism major in order to write for the paper, which isn't true.

Thats not what I was saying at all. Just that you will get more of that minded person joining the school newspaper or literary journals, ect

I was explaining why it can be so bad at times, because you get these people writing regular columns thinking they are now on the level of a Mike Barnicle or a William Safire when in reality they are no more relavant than a blogger with some of their "opinions" and how they lay them out

And I know you can certaintly "learn on the job" in the biz so I'm not knocking those who decide to jump head first into a gig like that hoping to get more out of it than a good line on their resume

Does anyone outside of college actually read college newspapers?

It depends. If the paper is more of a mouthpiece for some bitchy editor, then I wouldn't read it, but if the student body of a school is trying to emulate a "real" newspaper then I'll give it a shot.

As much as I hate Sappy Valley and Penn State University, I must say that I thought PSU's daily newspaper was well-done. Sure it had a slew of left-wing hippie garbage plastered on the Opinion page, and sometimes on the news page, but it was just as good as the community's "real" newspaper, the Centre Daily Times, and a better deal, too, since it was free.

And although a school's newspaper might not get as much readership as a "real" newspaper, you still get feedback from readership (sometimes).

1) One time I wrote this story about a student that almost fell down one of the school's elevator shafts and the day that paper was published, when I was entering my school's main building the receptionist, who was this little old lady that never said anything to me for the two-and-a-half years I attended that shithole leaned in toward me and said, "thank God you did something on those elevators -- those things are going to kill someone."

2) That same semester, while I was working my job at a movie theater, I saw this one person waiting for her her movie reading my lastest issue at a closed section to our concession stand -- my job and my school were about 25 miles apart. That was a strange encounter...

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Wow.

Just...... wow

What a fucking moron.

I'd like to know how this guy thinks Tillman's service wasn't necessary.

because he thinks the war is wrong and unnecassary? That's pretty obious.

Sure he's dead wrong and is an embarresment to anyone who knows him but it was really obvious what he was getting at when he said that.

Heh

No

Man, a relief to see a poster I remember. And a relief to see a recent post. Haven't been on the board in probably well over a year...it's too bad what happened, whatever the hell it was.