TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gatornibs

Joe Schmoe 2 Premiers Tuesday June 15th on Spike!

It was Spike's most successful non-Raw show, so I'm not surprised.

btw, for all those Canadians out there, Jonothan Torrens of Jonovision and Street Cents fame will be on the show...

Jonovision sucked, but I'll still watch anyways.

Matt Kennedy Gould rules. Hopefully, the new Schmoe lives up to the Schmoe legacy.

I loved Joe Schmoe 1, but I don't have high hopes for this. I'll tune in for the start, though. I hope it is good.

btw, for all those Canadians out there, Jonothan Torrens of Jonovision and Street Cents fame will be on the show...

He's finally getting some exposure down there other than from Trailer Park Boys.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'll also jump on the wagon of will watch but don't expect it to be as great as the first.

you know, these reality shows where no one knows they're on a show or what's going on with all the cameras around (i.e. Joe Schmoe, Roomraiders, Punk'd), shouldn't people know by now what's going on? i mean, if i see someone fucking with me and i notice a camera is near by, my mind is telling me "okay i'm getting punk'd or some shit"...this is why reality shows are starting to get old...

it's like when you get a call from the Ricki Lake producers asking you to appear and not really telling you why. in my mind i'm thinking A. i got some girl pregnant and will be fucked over on national TV, B. some long-lost relative I really don't wanna see wants to see me, C. i got busted on tape for cheating or D. some chick (or some gay guy in some cases) that I really don't like wants to declare their love for me...so i gotta tell myself, do i REALLY wanna be on this show? no i think i'll pass...

you know, these reality shows where no one knows they're on a show or what's going on with all the cameras around (i.e. Joe Schmoe, Roomraiders, Punk'd), shouldn't people know by now what's going on? i mean, if i see someone fucking with me and i notice a camera is near by, my mind is telling me "okay i'm getting punk'd or some shit"...this is why reality shows are starting to get old...

I can't speak for Punk'd or Roomraiders, but the premise of Joe Schmo is that it's a scripted reality show, so the assumption is that it's legit.

I'll watch, but it probably won't top the greatness (or hotness of the girls) of JS1.

I do have to say that there is some appeal to a chick who can put her fist in her mouth...

it's like when you get a call from the Ricki Lake producers asking you to appear and not really telling you why. in my mind i'm thinking A. i got some girl pregnant and will be fucked over on national TV, B. some long-lost relative I really don't wanna see wants to see me, C. i got busted on tape for cheating or D. some chick (or some gay guy in some cases) that I really don't like wants to declare their love for me...so i gotta tell myself, do i REALLY wanna be on this show? no i think i'll pass...

Joe Schmoe..was explained above, they konw the cameras are around, it's like they're on a show. And as for Room Raiders? That's not a hidden camera show...

And as for Punk'd well most of the time they can't see them...

And plus, it's weird that they can pull this off...looking at the previews one of the castmates is actually famous, that I've seen in a few movies.

http://schmoblog.spiketv.com/

Schmo is Back

Hey everyone!

Welcome to the first Joe Schmo 2 blog entry. I’m Rhett Reese, one of Joe’s co-creators and executive producers, and I’ll be serving as your captain on a ship that’s fueled by romance, sailing in search of life’s greatest booty… love.

OK, I’m already plagiarizing. That last line was written by John Moore and performed by pompous British host Derek Newcastle. You’ll hear it delivered in the very first scene of Joe Schmo 2. Just a little tease!

Joe Schmo 2 wasn’t always a foregone conclusion. The conventional wisdom on the internet and in town was that the show would be really hard to pull off a second time - that we would be half-crazy to try.

Our strategy after Joe 1 was to start completely from scratch. New fake show. New actors. New approach. We never really considered a return to the ‘Lap of Luxury.’ We wanted to throw potential contestants off the scent. And we wanted to do something fresh.

My ex-girlfriend and I watched every single ‘Bachelor’ and ‘Bachelorette’ in history, plus ‘For Love or Money,’ even ‘Mr. Personality.’ And my partner Paul Wernick’s wife Rita roped him into a bunch of the relationship shows, too. So I don’t think either of us ever really questioned which genre we wanted to try to skewer on the second season of Joe.

The format of the show fell into place mostly out of necessity. The network wanted to raise the stakes in season two… to try to fool two people instead of one – a Joe and a Jane. Consequently, we couldn’t do just a ‘Bachelor’ or ‘Bachelorette’ – we needed to combine the two under one roof. Our first instinct was to make Joe and Jane our Bachelor and Bachelorette, and to make all the suitors actors. The problem with that set-up was that it empowered Joe and Jane to evict people from the show, an element we were reluctant to lose control over. When you’re creating characters and writing stories, you need to be able to determine how those stories culminate and end. Our eviction ceremonies anchor our shows and affect our plots. We need to know in advance how and when characters are going home. It’s at the very heart of what we do. Our solution was simple: we made Joe and Jane suitors, and placed the eviction duties in the hands of two actors pretending to be our Bachelor and Bachelorette. That put us at the helm of the aforementioned ship!

After that, everything fell into place. Joe Schmo is a parody of Reality TV, so we like to work backwards from existing shows. What are the character types we’ve all come to know and love (or hate)? What are the clichéd moments, the hackneyed plots? What are the ceremonial moments? Nothing is sacred. The sillier, the better. Everyone knows Omarosa. We turned her into Ambrosia. Everyone’s seen the woman who gets wasted beyond all comprehension. We turned her into Rita, ‘the drunk.’ By now, we’re all familiar with the ‘shocking twist.’ One of our writers, Andrew Green, thought, ‘What’s the most absurdly over-the-top, takes-itself-too-seriously way to announce a twist?’ And he came up with the falcon (named ‘Montecore,’ after Roy’s tiger… sick, I know).

I can’t tell you how fun it is to sit in a room and try to think this stuff up. Our writers’ room on Joe 2 was beyond fun in December and January. We laughed and laughed and laughed, and then laughed some more. Now we’re praying that those laughs translate onto the screen.

There are very few elements in Joe 2 that can’t be traced back to some ridiculous moment in reality television. We think it’s fun for the viewer to be able to point at the screen and say, ‘They got that from ‘Chains of Love’!’ It gives the audience a personal investment in what’s going on. We’ve all watched a ton of reality TV, and Joe rewards that obsession, in a weird way.

Our other crucial task going into the show was to find a new Joe and Jane worthy to succeed Matt Kennedy Gould. I say ‘succeed’ because no one will ever truly be able to ‘replace’ Matt in my heart. But our Joe and Jane - Tim and Ingrid - are wonderful, engaging personalities – very different from Matt in fascinating ways. We never tried to find ‘another Matt.’ We tried to find two new people who would make for a different, compelling show.

And no, neither Tim nor Ingrid saw a minute of the first Joe Schmo. That was obviously important to us. We wanted to be brave, but not quite that brave.

And yes, Ralph is back as Derek Newcastle, our pompous British host. That was one risk we all knew we had to take. Ralph was just too amazing not to return. I would have loved to try to sneak him past the audience, too, but oh well…

I’m going to go now, but I sincerely hope that you all get a kick out of the new Joe. I’ll be back often to update the blog, so stick around!

Rhett

I love how they brought back Ralph and made him British. Just look at his picture.

bios_pop_01.jpg

I think this show has a lot of potential. Hopefully the Omarosa character isn't too much of a focus.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Gotta love the fake teeth Ralph is sportin'.

In case you didn't know, they're playing the entire first season on Spike today. They're at the first Rags to Riches ceremony right now.

And the first season is coming to DVD on June 22nd.

http://schmoblog.spiketv.com/

What's the Difference?

Hey guys, I didn’t intend to write another entry until after the premiere aired, but people keep asking me how season two differs from season one. Some of the key differences:

The network wanted to fool two people instead of one, which meant twice the chance of someone catching onto us mid-show. Also, casting was twice the effort, and we had to make some serious decisions about which scenes would play out in front of Joe vs. Jane. When either Joe or Jane was absent from a scene, we had to ensure that he/she heard about it afterwards. The trick was to keep both marks in the loop for all the major story points, whether they had actually been present for them or not.

The network pushed us to get crazier, especially early in the shoot. On Joe Schmo 1, we began at a very lazy, realistic pace, because we wanted to make sure that Matt was falling for the joke before we got too insane. On Joe Schmo 2, by contrast, we came out with guns blazing. We designed one of our most absurd story points to take place within ten minutes of the show’s beginning. From there, we took chance after chance after chance. Two words. Acid. And reflux.

We packed more material into ten hours of television. The original Joe Schmo was shot in nine days. It was intended to be a six hour show, but we got so much good stuff, it quickly grew to nine (an hour-long interview with Matt made it ultimately become ten). This year, we shot for thirteen days, planning for ten total hours. The audience will get a little more bang for their buck. We ended up with ten and a half hours, not including any interview sit-downs. And we had to slit our wrists to get it to time. Unlike your average reality show, there is virtually no ‘filler.’

We explored a new genre. Prepare yourselves for all the hallmarks of the big ‘relationship show’: romantic off-site dates, bitter struggles for alone time, harrowing visits from family members (both fake and real), hair-raising sessions hooked up to a lie detector, and the ‘promise ceremony’ from hell. Love is truly a battlefield!

Of course, there are a ton of smaller differences, but I hope this tides everyone over until we can start talking about individual episodes!

Rhett

-----------------------------

Blog Entry #2

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Eh...this one is really making me think about watching...

If they have Matt come out at the end and go "You got Schmoed" and run off, then it will be worth watching.

Or maybe he can say juiced.

i recognize the blonde, has to be gay dude from an episode of Degrassi The Next Generation...he played Emma's brain-damaged father...

...wait, when did Shane get brain damage? And why couldn't they get the original actor to play him? They found pretty much all the other PWT actors...

The guy is Jonothan Torrens, former host of Jonovision and also one of the original hosts of Street Cents.

(edit) Oh, and one more thing... After seeing the ending to Superstar USA I'm thinking that these "fake" reality shows can't possibly do anything but a "feel good" ending, which isn't particularly good television, but is probably the "right" thing to do. So I'm not expecting much for the "reveal", but I'll enjoy the ride there...

Edited by starvenger

i recognize the blonde, has to be gay dude from an episode of Degrassi The Next Generation...he played Emma's brain-damaged father...

...wait, when did Shane get brain damage? And why couldn't they get the original actor to play him? They found pretty much all the other PWT actors...

The guy is Jonothan Torrens, former host of Jonovision and also one of the original hosts of Street Cents.

you must have missed that episode from the original Degrassi series?

Spike rejected him and didn't want him to have anything to do with baby emma so he turned to drugs...after a rock concert he was tripping acid and either jumped or fell off a bridge, resulting in brain damage...not sure why the original actor didn't play him in the new series...

you must have missed that episode from the original Degrassi series?

Spike rejected him and didn't want him to have anything to do with baby emma so he turned to drugs...after a rock concert he was tripping acid and either jumped or fell off a bridge, resulting in brain damage...not sure why the original actor didn't play him in the new series...

Must've. Or I got that mixed up with Wheels' descent into darkness...

I'm actually one of the one's that can't wait to see it...although as I mentioned in a RAW thread a couple of times, I recognize just about all the actors from previous shows and movies. ;) But then again...looking at the two Schmo's they got, I'm guessing maybe they haven't seen them lol, or aren't TV watchers.

The black, bitchy girl is actually a B-Movie actress who's been in the business for nearly nearly twenty years.

The moment I saw her face, I just knew it was Gretchen. She was in a Jim Wynorski picture by the name of Gale Force, got turned into a mannequin in the original Wishmaster, and was in the Master P theatrical vehicle I Got the Hook Up.

No one else watched this? Because this show is all kinds of awesome. Bryce is so great, the "stripathon" was pure gold (Jonathan Torrens as the Egg, the drunken rabbit, etc), and you had to like the sheer stupidity of the falcon.

And I can't believe Jane Schmoe gave the guy Madeleine Albright's autobiography. Her present was actually stupider than some of the other ones, which is saying something.

Pearl Necklaces!!! This show wins. "I wish I could give all of you a pearl necklace tonight". Ah, gotta love Joe just cracking up through the whole ceremony. Man, I hope Elanor and Bryce "win"...that would be great.