TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

'Police Academy' Set for Eighth Edition

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...oliceacademy_dc

'Police Academy' Set for Eighth Edition

By Liza Foreman

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Police Academy" is back. After a decade's absence from the big screen, the cop comedy franchise is gearing up for an eighth installment.

"I felt it was time to start again," said series creator Paul Maslansky. "I saw that 'Starsky & Hutch' and a number of other revivals were doing really well. 'Police Academy' has such a great history. I thought, 'Why not?"'

According to Maslansky, who will serve as an executive producer, the talent from the first seven features has expressed a keen interest in the revival, with Maslansky looking to combine both new and the "original talent" for the next "Police Academy."

"We became very much like a family," he said. "It's is very unusual to have seven films with virtually all the same major cast."

The project is being developed by Warner Bros. Pictures and its Australian joint-venture partner Village Roadshow. The project is out to writers, with the exact direction of the newest installment yet to be determined.

The most recent sequel in the franchise was "Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow" in 1994. The first "Police Academy" hit screens in 1984, bringing in a domestic box office take of $81.2 million. Then it was a film a year through 1989, with "Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment" released in 1985, "Police Academy 3: Back in Training" in 1986, "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol" in 1987, "Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach" in 1988 and "Police Academy 6: City Under Siege" in 1989. Altogether, the franchise brought in more than $230 million at the domestic box office. Maslansky also serviced the small screen with "Police Academy: The Animated Series" in 1993 and "Police Academy: The Series" in 1997.

Maslansky is working on several other projects, including another institution-based project, "Stunt School." There's also a New Orleans-set jazz feature about the life of Buddy Bolden, the first king of jazz.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

All I have to say is that they better get Steve Guttenberg or else. Cause he help made the series and once he left them they went to shit.

Police Academy without Steve Guttenberg is like a sequel to Bio Dome with Pauly Shore.

You just can't let it happen again.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

The hell? What'd we do to piss off the Lord this time? We don't deserve this.

I will await with anticipation as the small very quiet black woman suddenly gets the super power to scream "DON"T MOVE DIRT BAG!" at a confused criminal.

Well then, her words will carry even more weight that way, don't you think?

And did all of these actors die from self inflicted injuries after witnessing their defining cinema moments all in a row?

High Tower is still alive and kicking, I'd hope. He was strong ya know. Strong and tall.

Guest thebigjig

Tackleberry died in 2001 of a heart attack but as far as I know, Hooks is still alive... and so is Commandant Lassard!

David Spade and Bobcat Goldfait don't have anything to do. Also they might as well add Rob Schneider to the cast.

"Police Academy: The Animated Series" in 1993 and "Police Academy: The Series" in 1997.

I never new these shows existed.

Guest thebigjig
David Spade and Bobcat Goldfait don't have anything to do. Also they might as well add Rob Schneider to the cast.

"Police Academy: The Animated Series" in 1993 and "Police Academy: The Series" in 1997.

I never new these shows existed.

Hey... wouldnt it be cool of Adam Sandler played the lead??

maybe...

and the tv series was god awful... absolutely horrible as most of 1997 fox/upn was... think the Mullets with police uniforms... and without mullets

the cartoon I only barely remember because I had the toys that went along with it

It's pretty telling how successful the sequels were since the first one made 80-85 million and the other six combined made barely double that.

I agree 100% on the "new ideas" theory, it just may work!

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

I LOVED the Police Academy cartoon series. I had all the action figures. As far as the movies, I only watched the Guttenberg ones, because without Mahoney, what was the point?

According to IMDB, Guttenberg, Michael Winslow, Bubba Smith, George Gaynes (Lassard), GW Bailey (Harris), Lance Kinsey (Proctor), Marion Ramsey (Hooks) and Leslie Easterbrook (Callahan) are all on board!

REJOICE! :D

I'll believe it when it comes from somewhere OTHER than IMDB.com.

At one point, I was a cast member on ANGEL thanks to great work of friends sending the information to them. Took them a whole week to realize "wait...who is this guy?" and remove me.

I feel proud.

I actually have seen all of the Police Academy movies aside from that last crappy one in Moscow. In a goofy sort of way I actually kinda miss not seeing Steve Guttenberg, Michael Winslow, and Co. tear it up.

Besides, can anyone deny that Guttenberg needs work?

I remember having an issue of Police Academy the comic book as a kid. I also remember the cartoon series, and had a bunch of figures as well, since I had always loved the movies and at one point had them all on tape.

BTW, looking back on it, the Zed figure was kinda scary, since his main feature was him dropping his pants. A little too lowbrow for the kiddies, don'tcha think?

Guest wrestlingbs

Finally Steve Gutenburg can get work!

He's been been living in my basement for too long...

At one point, I was a cast member on ANGEL thanks to great work of friends sending the information to them. Took them a whole week to realize "wait...who is this guy?" and remove me.

I'm actually more impressed that a site that large managed to find and correct such an error!

Is there any chance that this will be great though? There will obviously be the "new cops" that the "old generation" has to teach. The only time this seemed to work, off the top of my head, is with Star Trek: The Next Generation and that took a season or two and plenty of fans splintering into factions. Police Academy is one of those series that everyone pretty much agrees dies around the 4th movie, or earlier if you are less lenient... it just seems they have a real uphill battle ahead of them. Signing that many of the original cast though is an amazing step in the right direction. :cheers: