TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

"Starcrossed" Review

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Starcrossed is a difficult piece to review.

There's the animation, first off: It's the ultimate extension of the Superman/TNBA "clean-line" philosophy, it allows for animated action scenes that are joyous to watch... but it also costs the series a lot of the atmosphere that even TNBA had in spades. A *LOT* of people consider this show a follow up to the two Batman shows, but it isn't. This show is very close to the best Superman stuff as far as atmosphere and tone.

There's the characters; the producers have a lot so sometimes they have to rely on schtick passed off as character (See: Flash, The). Batman fares pretty well, as does Superman who, in a rare bout of common sense, declares the Thanagarians' help "Too good to be true." Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter are both really generic and aren't given much to do besides read minds and flirt with Batman (I'll leave it to you to decide who does what).

Hawkman as the villain is interesting, but I don't think he got his comeuppance... at all. I'm also really disapointed that we didn't get to see Superman lay down any righteous ass kicking. But, credit where it's due, the Hawkman/GL fight was really well-done.

The Bat-Cave sequence was TREMENDOUS, with everything from the giant penny to Mr. Freeze's gun coming into play. Also, you have to love what Batman does to those three poor dumb bastards who make fun of his Batarangs.

All in all, it's decent, but it's nothing more than a couple good episodes. It isn't the crowning jewel in the JL series... nor is it as good as the Vandal Savage two-parter a while back.

*** 1/2 out of *****

Need attention, eh?

Can't really comment since I haven't actually seen Starcrossed (set the VCR to record it...but sometime after I was out at the time on Sunday the power went out. Argh), however the comments that apply to the series overall I mostly agree with. It's also my biggest concern about Unlimited--except for the usual suspects, the JL characters didn't really get the cool personalities and character definition I would have liked. With so many more characters to work with, I think any focus on character is going to be taking a backseat to action and plot.

Although Batman is still as cool as ever, and remains more intelligent than just about all of the old League combined. That kind of makes the rest of them look kind of weaksauce, though.

Oh, since Starcrossed appears to be the last two episodes of the first season, is it on the DVD box set? The box sets around here sold out rather quickly, so I don't recall if it was "Season 1" or "Volume 1."

I'll seen all of about 7 episodes of Justice League, so I'd be interested in checking out out. Plus it's far cheaper than even used copies of all of the two-episode DVDs of JL that are out, combined. :)

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Need attention, eh?

Can't really comment since I haven't actually seen Starcrossed (set the VCR to record it...but sometime after I was out at the time on Sunday the power went out. Argh), however the comments that apply to the series overall I mostly agree with. It's also my biggest concern about Unlimited--except for the usual suspects, the JL characters didn't really get the cool personalities and character definition I would have liked. With so many more characters to work with, I think any focus on character is going to be taking a backseat to action and plot.

Although Batman is still as cool as ever, and remains more intelligent than just about all of the old League combined. That kind of makes the rest of them look kind of weaksauce, though.

Oh, since Starcrossed appears to be the last two episodes of the first season, is it on the DVD box set? The box sets around here sold out rather quickly, so I don't recall if it was "Season 1" or "Volume 1."

I'll seen all of about 7 episodes of Justice League, so I'd be interested in checking out out. Plus it's far cheaper than even used copies of all of the two-episode DVDs of JL that are out, combined. :)

There is no Justice League box set. It's a SuperFriends box set.

I know Vandal Savage was in two episodes that I can remember... the first being the one with the orbiting railgun (which I think is what you are talking about...cause it was pretty good) and also the "Death of Superman" episode, where he is in the future. I love both of them, but I don't think his second appearance was a two-parter. Was it?

Either way, Savage is one of those characters that I wish could come back more often, because I love his SITUATION in the JL Universe.

There is no Justice League box set. It's a SuperFriends box set.

Yeah, I found out in the other thread. Strangely, I checked episode guides, and there are two seasons (26 eps long), so it's odd they didn't at least put one set out yet.

Bah...Superfriends!? :P