TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

-Suicide Club/Circle

Saw this movie tonight, I understand it was pretty heavily acclaimed. I want to ask: why? I thought it had many plot holes/WAY confusing plot, and though it had some powerful, well directed scened scenes, often the unnecessary gore really took away from it. Also, the whole rape/murder/rebirth scene I could have lived without.

I understand the film is a parable, but for a film to work on another level, it must first work on the basic level; unless you're goign to go whole hog surrealist a la el Topo.. Look at Battle Royale, there's a terrific movie (and it is disturbing) which works both as a movie and a parable.

Am I missing something? Can someone adequatly make sense of this movie?

Guest evenflowDDT

I don't know about heavy acclaim, but I'm with you on Suicide Circle not living up to the hype. I had a bootleg DVD-R of it for like, a year and a half, watched it once with my friends, and didn't really find it "worthwhile" to figure out what the deal with the movie was (and really, with all the sub-plots/explanations, each seeming to be a total 180 from the last, I almost want to say they were going for confusion). That being said, the opening sequence is still a trip, and some of the suicides are so sudden that worked really well as black comedy.

Oh, for sure. At this juncture, I think they had a great disturbing/black comedy opening sequence. Whatever you say, that opening montage is powerfcul. Then they had to build a movie off of it.

And I still think it would have worked better if A) the first scene was the most gory one

B) gore wasn't used really at all.

Once the lady started daikon raddishing her hand, it just went to the absurd and disgusting.

Are we to believe a shiity philisophical pep talk from some children would render you completely immune to pain?

And the fey David Bowie villain came out of nowhere, led noweher, and went from comedy--> to scenes I just didn't want to see--> right back to comedy. I know the effeminate villain is sort of a japanese staple, but no one's ever going to get it better than Dilandau.