TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vasarian_Brandy

"On The Road Again"

The plane ride has, to this point, been uneventful. As I look out the window, finding we’re passing over the Heartland of America, I realize that my ‘return’ to the SWF has been exactly that: Uneventful.

And it pleases me to no end.

Smarkdown came and went back home in Cleveland. The final show leading up to the ultimate in pay-per-views, Genesis V, didn’t feature me in any impromptu match. No run-ins, no backstage scuffles. Not even an interview.

Yeah, I hid out the whole show.

Call it a scouting trip… I wasn’t expecting to be called out. I wasn’t expecting to be pushed into action.

And though the Suicide King gave me a bit of a fright, telling me earlier in the day that I’d best be ready for an important announcement, and hearing him add to his tag team with Tom Flesher… The announcement still rings clearly in my mind:

"So put your hands together and give a warm SWF welcome to CHRIS…"

“…RAYNOR!”

I felt an immense amount of relief at that, though part of me wouldn’t have minded coming back out of retirement for the biggest PPV of the year.

Though the thought of having to fight Mark Stevens, Landon Maddix, and the one that wound up being Team Face’s ace in the hole, Edwin MacPhisto… Two of them legends, the other one a young talent that’s been sight unseen in the SWF for… Probably a long while. And the two legends part of… Well… Part of a team that I still hold quite in high esteem.

I’m glad I wasn’t the Chris that had to face them.

As it was, after Smarkdown, I planned on a trip to Pasadena, to the Rose Bowl, to take in the spectacle of Genesis V. But I heard through some friends of mine that not one, but two folks could be wrestling in their final matches.

One of those being “The Superior One” Tom Flesher.

People in the know were already talking about his impending retirement, saying it could happen as soon as Genesis. Now I’m not one to be friendly to the heels of the business. But I knew Flesher. Not well, but I knew of him. His career, his drive, his ambition. Hell… I had the same drive and ambition early in my career. I didn’t like the guy, but I respected him as a fellow wrestler. And I wasn’t going to be one to cut in on his time, if he was indeed calling it quits. So, I wound up staying in Cleveland, and watching the whole spectacle unfold on live digital satellite feed to big-screen plasma television at a local sports bar.

I’m glad I didn’t make the trip.

Not only was Genesis full of amazing appearances from seemingly long-lost legends as it was, but Tom did indeed retire. Right after his team’s hard-fought battle with Stevens’ crew.

It was the most classy, yet simple retirement I’d seen. The tradition of leaving your boots in the ring…

His fellow wrestlers respected him for it. The fans, who had given him no loss of heat and Hell in the past, saw it for what it was… They gave him a standing ovation, seeing him not as one of the most undeniable villains the Fed ever saw, but one of the most dedicated and unrelenting talents they’d ever seen.

And my respect for him grew tenfold.

The rest of Genesis was no less amazing, and full of twists and turns. So much so, I almost considered not making the trip to Anaheim for the next show, knowing that Genesis would still be on the minds and thoughts of the fans and everyone else.

But, out of ‘consideration’ to the Commish (who didn’t bring me back in to hide out from the limelight, and probably would have no problems putting me out of the business at a whim), I figured I’d make the trip to at least show my support for the Fed and all that.

I look out the window again. Not a lot of time has passed, but the view of the fields below is now partially obscured by rolling cloud cover. Yes, the plane ride has been uneventful. No autograph seekers. No special recognition as I’d gotten on more than one occasion in years past. Just the peace, quiet, and serenity of being relatively unknown. No different from everyone else.

It’s like I’m starting all over again.

And I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Very nicely-written promo... it has the feel of an internet column on WWE.com, without the smark-mocking.

I also appreciate the shout-out.

Very nicely-written promo... it has the feel of an internet column on WWE.com, without the smark-mocking.

I also appreciate the shout-out.

Heh... Not sure if I'll take the 'Internet column' comment as a compliment or an insult, since you had to follow it up with "on WWE.com"... ;)

But I had to do the shout out. You, sir, have had the 'career' I wish I could've, had I been able to write for the majority of the last 2+ years.

Who knows what the next 2+ years may bring, but in the end, I hope I can even hold a candle to what you had. :)

Guest Horse hockey!

His boots are still in the ring if you want to lick them.

And welcome back.

His boots are still in the ring if you want to lick them.

Meh.

Mayhaps I'll just slip them on and commence to kicking yer ass!

Or not.