TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

kkk --- Your Governor is a Winner

Guest MikeSC

In spite of ballots not even being mailed until, at the earliest, 10/18 (they should have been sent by 9/22) --- Gov. Ed Rendell REFUSES to extend the 11/1 due date for absentee ballots for military folks.

Fortunately, the Republican and Democratic parties agreed to have the Pentagon post write-in ballots on their web site.

But, kkk, is Gov. Rendell always this much of a total shit?

-=Mike

In spite of ballots not even being mailed until, at the earliest, 10/18 (they should have been sent by 9/22) --- Gov. Ed Rendell REFUSES to extend the 11/1 due date for absentee ballots for military folks.

Fortunately, the Republican and Democratic parties agreed to have the Pentagon post write-in ballots on their web site.

-=Mike

$10 says that if Pennsylvania is contested in court and the PA governor refuses to accept the military ballots, he'll be recalled within a year.

By the state screwing around completely with the absentee ballots, this guarantees there will be at least 20,000 pissed off soldiers plus several pissed off US senators.

(I'd heard a little about this some weeks back when the father of a soldier called Sean Hannity to say that his son never received his absentee ballot and that neither Rick Santorum nor Arlen Spector could find out why it wasn't showing up)

$10 says that if Pennsylvania is contested in court and the PA governor refuses to accept the military ballots, he'll be recalled within a year.

after a quick text search though the Pennsylvania state constitution, there's nothing that suggests that recalls are allowed

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

By the state screwing around completely with the absentee ballots, this guarantees there will be at least 20,000 pissed off soldiers plus several pissed off US senators.

(I'd heard a little about this some weeks back when the father of a soldier called Sean Hannity to say that his son never received his absentee ballot and that neither Rick Santorum nor Arlen Spector could find out why it wasn't showing up)

This is actually a problem with A LOT of military absentee ballots. This is part of the reason why the Dems have fought Nader's inclusion on the ballot so hard. Not simply because they don't want him on, but because it'll limit Bush votes.

-=Mike

This is actually a problem with A LOT of military absentee ballots. This is part of the reason why the Dems have fought Nader's inclusion on the ballot so hard. Not simply because they don't want him on, but because it'll limit Bush votes.

-=Mike

So not having Ralph Nader on a ballot will cause less people to vote for Bush?

What kind of people would vote for George Bush that were originally going to vote for Nader?

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

So not having Ralph Nader on a ballot will cause less people to vote for Bush?

What kind of people would vote for George Bush that were originally going to vote for Nader?

No, the problem is that until the decision is finalized, the ballots CAN'T be sent, since they won't be valid until they know if Nader is or is not on the ballot.

It has nothing to do with military people being ardent Nader supporters.

-=Mike

I used to think Eddie was OK for a Dem.

Then when I moved back to PA while he was guv I realized what a piece of shit he was.

PA is weird in the sense that we are a Democrat state, but we vote our fair share of Republicans in office -- you can't get more contrasting styles of the GOP than Wacky Arlen and Rick Santorum, both of which represent us in the Senate.

But it'll all be good in the end because Fast Eddie PROMISED us that if PA got slot machines not only would the Pittsburgh Penguins get a new arena, but also there would be oodles of pork projects able to be financed, PLUS there would be a reduction in everybody's property taxes.

Well, at least we'll be getting slot machines so Keystone morons don't have to cross the border into Byrd-town and piss away their paychecks.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I'm sure Eddie would have done the same if we had crack moms and union whores over in the Middle East that wouldn't be able to vote Democrat in time for the election...

Guest Smues
But it'll all be good in the end because Fast Eddie PROMISED us that if PA got slot machines not only would the Pittsburgh Penguins get a new arena, but also there would be oodles of pork projects able to be financed, PLUS there would be a reduction in everybody's property taxes.

Wow they sure promise you a shitload. Washington is voting on slotmachines, and all that I've seen them say it is will lower property taxes. Are there people in PA screaming about how slow machines are evil and you need to THINK OF THE CHILDREN???? We have one of the most annoying ads I've ever heard on the radio with some lady whining about the inititive and how it will hurt our kids but she never gives any actually reasoning, just keeps saying about it'll affect the kids and save the children children children!

Guest MD2020
I used to think Eddie was OK for a Dem.

Then when I moved back to PA while he was guv I realized what a piece of shit he was.

PA is weird in the sense that we are a Democrat state, but we vote our fair share of Republicans in office -- you can't get more contrasting styles of the GOP than Wacky Arlen and Rick Santorum, both of which represent us in the Senate.

Well, at least we'll be getting slot machines so Keystone morons don't have to cross the border into Byrd-town and piss away their paychecks.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I'm sure Eddie would have done the same if we had crack moms and union whores over in the Middle East that wouldn't be able to vote Democrat in time for the election...

Hey, cut Rendell some slack will ya? He's got to prepare for the Eagles post-game show.

Guest MikeSC

More Rendell goodness:

GOP condemns election monitors

Republican leaders tell Rendell to scrap program

Thursday, October 21, 2004

By Tom Barnes, Post-Gazette Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG -- State House Republican leader Sam Smith demanded yesterday that Gov. Ed Rendell call off his plan to send state-appointed "election monitoring teams" into each county on Nov. 2 to check on any voting "problems" that might arise.

Democrat Rendell emphatically refused to drop the plan to send out the two-person teams, sarcastically saying that "partisan particles in the air in this [Capitol] building have warped people's judgment and perspectives."

The demand by Smith and other Republicans "is ludicrous," Rendell said at a news conference. "They ought to be embarrassed."

The governor said the state Capitol "is a very partisan place. It stinks. It's an unhealthy building and needs to be cleaned out."

Smith, R-Punxsutawney, charged that the Rendell administration's actions leading up to this election "have helped create an atmosphere of panic" in the state. Smith claimed Rendell was acting as if Pennsylvania "could be the next Florida," referring to the hanging chads and other ballot problems that beset the 2000 presidential election in Florida, delaying certification of the vote results for several weeks.

"Pennsylvania is not Florida," Smith said in a letter to Secretary of the Commonwealth Pedro Cortes. Smith said Cortes' job "is to allay the fears of our residents, not build them up" with unfounded fears about election fraud.

State Sen. Jeffrey Piccola, R-Dauphin, condemned the monitoring teams as Democratic "SWAT teams." He and other Republicans said there's no provision in state law for creating them and elections officials in the 67 counties don't need them.

Erik Arneson, spokesman for Senate Republican leader David Brightbill of Lebanon, said Rendell's creation of the monitoring teams "was a clandestine process, concocted in secret meetings. [Administration officials] opened the process only after being forced to because the press and Republicans learned about it."

Smith asked Cortes: "We are asked not to talk about nefarious motives, yet what else should the people of Pennsylvania think as you were secretly planning to insert political appointees into each county on Election Day?"

Rendell became agitated when asked by a reporter yesterday if he would comply with the GOP's demand to eliminate the monitors.

"Are you kidding?" he snapped. "If I changed my decisions based on letters from Republican leaders, I would make no decisions. If I decided to declare that today is Wednesday, it could generate a letter from the Republican leadership asking me to reverse that decision. We have to do what we believe is best."

"My primary goal [in sending the teams] is for citizens to have confidence that this election is fair. Nothing is as important to me as carrying out this election in a fair and open way."

Two lawyers for Senate Republicans, Stephen MacNett and J. Andrew Crompton, separately criticized Rendell for choosing a high-profile Democratic campaign adviser, Philadelphia attorney Mark Aronchick, to head up the Election Day supervision over potential voting problems.

Aronchick has "a deeply held bias" against President Bush and an "equally troubling perception of lack of objectivity," MacNett and Crompton said in a letter to Rendell.

They said Aronchick had just quit three weeks ago as an adviser to the presidential campaign of Democratic Sen. John Kerry. They said that Aronchick, in a newspaper interview in February, had accused Bush of having "a contemptible pseudo-sincerity" and "a heart of darkness" and had claimed that Bush "is playing to base fears" in the public.

Rendell dismissed those Republican complaints also, saying Aronchick is doing free public service for the state in his role as an election adviser. Any knowledgeable elections attorney has worked for some political campaign in the past, so finding a neutral person is impossible, Rendell said.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04295/399326.stm

Choosing a former Kerry operative to run the oversight of the election in PA seems a little odd.

-=Mike

Are there people in PA screaming about how slow machines are evil and you need to THINK OF THE CHILDREN????

Eh, most of it is coming from Republicans whining about how this will not be an economic boon and do more harm than good in regards to more crime, etc. They have a point, imo, and when Pittsburgh turns into another Wheeling in a few years (no offense to Wheeling residents) they'll all have a big, fat "I told you so..."

BUMP (PA/Eddie-related stuff):

1) Ol' Eddie got in a bit of trouble recently because he and a few other Pittsburgh city leaders were busted on a conference call talking about putting in a commuter tax when earlier Rendell said in public he wasn't going to do such a thing.

2) Well, as of Wednesday, the turnpike toll collectors went on strike. I guess getting paid $17/hour is not enough to MAKE CHANGE. I hope this backfires on them and every one of those ungrateful sob's gets replaced with someone making $8/hour. Of course it will never happen, but I can always dream...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Does this mean the toll roads are currently free, or closed, or what?

Does this mean the toll roads are currently free, or closed, or what?

IIRC, they were free yesterday but are pay today.

On Wednesday it was free. Until this stupid strike gets resolved the Turnpike powers-that-be are making it a flat rate of $2/car and $15/truck.

I think one thing they're bitching about is with the increased use of automated toll-booths (we call them EZ-PASS) the union doesn't want any layoffs.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention, and I bet a lot of commies at this place will appreciate this. On Wednesday Rick Santorum was guest-hosting this one local radio show for three hours and during that time he interviewed: 1) This guy from UPMC and both of them talked about the benefits of STEM-CELL RESEARCH, and 2) Al Bundy's wife (Katy Segal, or however her name was spelled.)

Both were odd moments...