TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Loss
Speaking of that, how did Flair convince people to give him another run with the title in early 1999? I guess he had convince Nash, who was more willing that Bischoff? Or was Bischoff still booking then?

Flair was given the belt with the idea of booking him in totally ineffective fashion so they could blame him for falling ratings. They made no attempts to hide that fact even. Bischoff would often say -- PUBLICLY -- that the reason ratings were down was because of the reformation of the Four Horsemen.

When did Mortis unmask to Kanyon? How long did he feud with Raven? How long did Saturn feud with Raven?

Sometime in Spring of 1998. Both of those feuds were relatively brief.

What was the deal with the "Scott Hall is an alcoholic" angle?

I don't understand the question. They decided to exploit his real life behavior on camera.

When did Lenny Lane start to get onto TV for WCW and how long did he and Lodi do the gay thing before being forced to stop?

His first *notable* appearance came in early 1998 when he dressed up like Chris Jericho to face Dean Malenko so Jericho could ambush Dean headed into Uncensored. Good angle, and funny follow-up, as after the PPV, Jericho told off Lane for stealing his Loverboy tape and wearing his tights without permission. The gay thing lasted all of about two months before S&P pulled the plug under pressure from GLAAD.

How did the Scott Hall/Larry Zybysko feud end?

Dusty Rhodes turned on Larry and cost him the match. He then joined the NWO.

Any interesting Steiner Brothers/Konnan/Hugh Morrus/Billy Kidman/Ultimo Dragon stories?

NONE.

:P

Oh, and why did Rick Steiner pick Kenny Kaos as his new tag team title partner after Havoc 98? I don't think anyone ever answered that one.

One of those nonsensical booking things.

Speaking of that, how did Flair convince people to give him another run with the title in early 1999? I guess he had convince Nash, who was more willing that Bischoff? Or was Bischoff still booking then?

When did Mortis unmask to Kanyon? How long did he feud with Raven? How long did Saturn feud with Raven?

When did Lenny Lane start to get onto TV for WCW and how long did he and Lodi do the gay thing before being forced to stop?

Any interesting Steiner Brothers/Konnan/Hugh Morrus/Billy Kidman/Ultimo Dragon stories?

It was the best way to turn Hogan face, by having Flair turn heel, which he had long campaigned for.

Mortis unmasked has Kanyon at Slamboree of 1998.

That wasn't an angle, as much as a worked shoot.

Lane was first debuted as a Chris Jericho look-alike. He and Lodi were together for about 6 mnths I think.

It never did, at least not properly. I think it was blown off when Rhodes turned on Larry at SB '98.

One time Scott caused Bossman to pass out in the Recliner.

Guest Loss
Where was Jake Roberts from right after Wrestlemania VIII to before he debuted in WCW in August of 1992?

In a cardboard box, most likely.

Guest fanofcoils

Did Eddy Guerrero and Raven do anything notable in WCW in 1996? I think Raven was in WCW that year.

Guest MikeSC
My favorite thing of the WCW Watts era? The Miracle Violence Connection. I have no idea what that name means, but I love it. :)

Thank AJPW for that one. However, I do wonder if NJPW had a problem with them using an AJPW team like that.

You can really see the lack of long term planning in 1999. At least in 1997, for example, they had the long term plan of doing Hogan/Sting at Starrcade and built to it. Sure, the rest of the card was just done show to show, but not the main event.

I could've sworn that they originally wanted to end the program MONTHS earlier, but just kept it going.

And who'd've thought that a guy hitting his maximum required dates would lead to an angle that actually made money.

Well look at 1999. We have the Fingerpoke of Doom. Then Hogan feuds with Ric Flair and loses the belt to him at Uncensored. Flair turns heel and loses it a month later to DDP, who is kind of a heel at the time. DDP loses it to Sting and wins it back the same night on Nitro, and then loses it to Nash at Slamboree. Nash loses it to Savage at BATB, and Hogan wins it from Savage the next night. Now NASH turns heel and loses to Hogan at Road Wild. And then Hogan loses the belt to a heel turning Sting! I mean it's just ridiculous.

Actually, in April, they got their stuff together. For one month, they were clicking on all cylinders. Then Nash beat DDP at Slamboree and the good stuff was replaced by such gems as David Flair's US Title run and Rick Steiner's TV Title run.

Well, he WAS one at the time --- but I assumed it was he and Nash's attempt to not have a match (well, they had a "match" at Halloween Havoc '98 which was just horrible).

Hell, can anybody think of a show booked WORSE than Havoc' 98? Rick Steiner won the World Tag Titles alone. Hogan v Warrior was atrocious. And, arguably, the best match on the show (DDp v Goldberg) was cut from many PPV broadcasts due to it running long, leading to WCW airing it the next night on Nitro.

Lane was originally wearing a mask and pretending to be Chris Jericho during the Jericho v Malenko feud.

Mercifully? :)

Oh, and why did Rick Steiner pick Kenny Kaos as his new tag team title partner after Havoc 98? I don't think anyone ever answered that one.

I doubt any thought was put into it. Bischoff is not a big fan of tag wrestling. Steiner had Judy Bagwell defend with him once, if memory serves.

-=Mike

You can really see the lack of long term planning in 1999. At least in 1997, for example, they had the long term plan of doing Hogan/Sting at Starrcade and built to it. Sure, the rest of the card was just done show to show, but not the main event.

I could've sworn that they originally wanted to end the program MONTHS earlier, but just kept it going.

Nope, the plan was always to hold off Sting v Hogan for Starrcade '97.

Guest MikeSC
Where was Jake Roberts from right after Wrestlemania VIII to before he debuted in WCW in August of 1992?

I thought he worked in Mexico for some of that period.

-=Mike

Guest Loss

They did some type of audience survey in 1996 that showed that the WCW audience found Eddy Guerrero to be the most likable wrestler in the company. He was actually quite over that year and they teased a feud with Flair that never really happened all out, which is a shame, as the fans would have bought it.

Guest Loss

I thought he worked in Mexico for some of that period.

-=Mike

I think that was after he left WCW.

So after Dusty turned, they didn't do a Zybysko vs. Dusty match or anything like that? Did Dusty even really DO anything with the nWo?

You gotta love booking a title switch so that when the ratings go down you can blame it on the guy who you just gave the title to. Brilliant stuff. :boxing:

What, if anything, led up to the Jericho vs. Raven match at Havoc 98?

Why was Hogan not at Starrcade 95? Did that show draw at all? (With the Japanese wrestlers on it facing the WCW guys)

Any reason why DDP was given the win in the battle bowl at Slamboree 96? Why did they decide to push him?

Who is to blame for the Tower of Doom cage match at Uncensored 96? :D

Guest Loss
So after Dusty turned, they didn't do a Zybysko vs. Dusty match or anything like that? Did Dusty even really DO anything with the nWo?

No. That was all there was to it.

You gotta love booking a title switch so that when the ratings go down you can blame it on the guy who you just gave the title to. Brilliant stuff.  :boxing:

It's similar to what happened to Jericho in early 2002, but at least WCW was willing to come right out and admit that they were being underhanded.

:)

The match had zero buildup or backstory.

Why was Hogan not at Starrcade 95? Did that show draw at all? (With the Japanese wrestlers on it facing the WCW guys)

He was suspended at the time in storylines, which in reality was just a way to give him time off for the Christmas holiday.

Any reason why DDP was given the win in the battle bowl at Slamboree 96? Why did they decide to push him?

He was Eric Bischoff's next door neighbor.

Who is to blame for the Tower of Doom cage match at Uncensored 96?  :D

No clue.

When did Paul Wight morph into his "Big Show" persona and act more natural instead of spitting and screaming all the time and essentially playing a cartoon character? I want to say around BATB 96, around there wasn't it?.

Guest MikeSC

No. Dusty appeared with them for maybe 2 weeks or so, but he was quickly forgotten.

Loss and HTQ will probably give the more accurate answer --- but I'd imagine Hogan sat out in the hopes of the show tanking, so he becomes more "important".

I'm too lazy to look up the numbers --- but I don't think it did appreciably worse than most WCW shows. I'd imagine it did better than the joke of a show that was Starrcade '94.

And, advice: If something idiotic happens that benefits Hogan --- he is the one behind it.

-=Mike

Who is to blame for the Tower of Doom cage match at Uncensored 96? :D

He took up a lot of space, but that's about it.

Nothing lead up to it at all.

Probably not wanting to pay him his required $300,000 PPV bonus, when there was nothing for him to do.

He was Eric's buddy.

Hogan, most likely. It was meant to be Hogan against Flair, AA and two others, but then Savage bitched about not being involved and wanting a big win, so they had to add four more, hence the cage.

Guest Loss
When did Paul Wight morph into his "Big Show" persona and act more natural instead of spitting and screaming all the time and essentially playign a cartoon character? I want to say around BATB 96, around there wasn't it?.

He started showing a lot of charisma around the time he won the title. Pretty much everyone, the Internet included, was pimping him because he appeared to be more than just a standard big guy.

Guest MikeSC
Did Jim Duggan get a lot of heat when he turned heel in late 99 (?)?

Turned heel in 2000. And he was more over than a lot of WCW, which is a sad commentary.

-=Mike

...Hey, Loss, why wasn't Hart given the book ever? He was in charge of WCWSN, if memory serves, and it was a better boked show than Nitro or Thunder most weeks. Three-Count, the most criminally underused team ever, was his baby...

Guest Loss

2000, and NO ONE got heat at that point in WCW except Flair and Goldberg.

Loss and HTQ will probably give the more accurate answer --- but I'd imagine Hogan sat out in the hopes of the show tanking, so he becomes more "important".

I'm too lazy to look up the numbers --- but I don't think it did appreciably worse than most WCW shows. I'd imagine it did better than the joke of a show that was Starrcade '94.

Starrcade 1994 did 0.60

Starrcade 1995 did 0.36

Starrcade 1996 did 0.95

Funnily, they added the Flair v Luger v Sting deal because they wanted to ensure a decent buy rate.

Guest MikeSC

Starrcade 1994 did 0.60

Starrcade 1995 did 0.36

Starrcade 1996 did 0.95

Funnily, they added the Flair v Luger v Sting deal because they wanted to ensure a decent buy rate.

That's just depressing.

Hogan v Beefcake outdrew a pretty decent Starrcade 1995 show?

Ugh.

-=Mike

Guest Loss

Turned heel in 2000. And he was more over than a lot of WCW, which is a sad commentary.

-=Mike

...Hey, Loss, why wasn't Hart given the book ever? He was in charge of WCWSN, if memory serves, and it was a better boked show than Nitro or Thunder most weeks. Three-Count, the most criminally underused team ever, was his baby...

Excellent question. I've always wondered this myself. I don't think he was lobbying for the big booking role.

Guest Loss

BTW, if anyone wants to see a completely "standard" show from the height of WCW, Starrcade '96 is pretty much the best example of how they did things.

Starrcade 1994 did 0.60

Starrcade 1995 did 0.36

Starrcade 1996 did 0.95

That's just depressing.

Hogan v Beefcake outdrew a pretty decent Starrcade 1995 show?

Ugh.

-=Mike

WCW fans didn't like the Japanese, obviously.

:bonk:

BTW, if anyone wants to see a completely "standard" show from the height of WCW, Starrcade '96 is pretty much the best example of how they did things.

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

Great undercard, but a substandard ME, at least quality-wise.

From DDTDigest, about the Rhodes turn, this is from the 1/29/98 Thunder:

Hall comes out to do his survey, and then some...

* The WCW Executive Committee has signed Luger vs. Savage at Superbrawl in a no-DQ match.

* When Hall started his survey, on reflex I went to switch to RAW. Damn it, it's Thursday!

* Hall wonders out loud what happened to his title shot at Slamboree. He threatens Piper. Then, he introduces Dusty.

* Sign: "Say it ain't so, Dusty"

* Wow, Dusty is really fat!

* Ah! Now I get it! The angle is that Dusty has been angry since 1991 when the "suits" did away with tradition. (Ted Turner creating WCW and seceding from the NWA.) Dusty sums it up with "Shove it!" Dusty claims all of the WCW people are making a living off of the nWo.

* "Larry Zbyszko, there will be no comeback! And all you marks out there on the Internet, there will be no comeback!" Ouch, that hurts. I don't know whether that means Dusty won't be making a comeback or Larry won't, or both.

-=Mike

Excellent question. I've always wondered this myself. I don't think he was lobbying for the big booking role.

Well Hart was known for booking Memphis style with tons of gimmicks and pushes of big guys, don't know how that would have gotten over with WCW fans, especially the ones on the net. Look at WCWSN around the time, gimmicks galore, with "Jungle Man" Chuck Palumbo, "Hole in One" barry Darsow, Ed leslie's Indiana Jones ripoff, and the monster push of Hale.