TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Was the face turn an audible called on the spot, because they had the NWO run in preeped at the end....

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I'm watching the RAW from the night after SSeries 99 and close to it

HHH vs Edge Austin vs Rock P.I.G. being Christened mideon after a 10 minute promo involving drawing blood Regel as the "Real Man's Man" and the most surreal of all Hawk trying to commit suicide while Droz climbs up to save/push him. Considering both mens current states, it was more than a little surreal

The Mideon segment includes Cole trying to sell the fact that Mideon is levating since they forgot to tell him they canceled that part when it failed at rehersals (sp?)

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
You mean the night after SurSer 98?

Yup , Sorry Typo.... I'm watching one of my own comp tapes that are just random stuff, so I may have confused myself

On the Tube: Hogan /Sid vs Flair/Taker

I saw that RAW not too long ago. Not a good show, but for the time HHH vs. Edge wasn't a bad little RAW match, and the crowd was CRAZY for Austin vs. Rock.

At that point was an Austin vs. Rock match at Mania already set in stone?

When was the decision made to go with HBK vs. Razor in a ladder match at Summerslam 1995 made? Wasn't the original match plan HBK vs. Sid for the IC title? Were there ever any plans of putting the IC title on Sid?

When was the decision made to go with HBK vs. Razor in a ladder match at Summerslam 1995 made? Wasn't the original match plan HBK vs. Sid for the IC title? Were there ever any plans of putting the IC title on Sid?

Probobly not, the storyline reason for the switch was that Gorilla Monsoon, as newly chosen President of the WWF, decided that the fans would be more interested in seeing a WM X rematch then Shawn Michaels vs Sid. The real reason was likely that Vince took a good look at how the card for his second biggest show of the year was shaping up, and was just trying to salvage it.

why doesn't vince do that "salvaging" thing more often?

Because rarely does he allow the booking anymore to dictate such an overwhelmingly lousy card on paper, especially in a year where buisness is in the shitter, and you have no other choice but to do everything you can get get a really strong buyrate or risk bankruptcy. Sure, today WWE may put on lousy shows, but how often does it happen where a show is booked to completely eliminate any possibility of a match above **?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF @ Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena - March 30, 1998

DOA defeated Brian Walsh & Brian Walsh following a double DDT on Walsh

Armageddon defeated Dave Webber & Nick Barberry

Who's Armageddon??

2 Brian Walshs????

I believe it was how the team of Recon and Sniper of the former Truth Commission was called at that time.

Definitely. They didn't get much respect despite being a good team, actually. As for the Taker/Show team, I don't recall.

From a WON Hotline 5/25/99 report:

"-The finish of the UT-Austin match was apparently changed. Something

contraversial [sic] was supposed to happen, but didn't due to the Owen Hart

situation."

Any idea on what was supposed to end Over the Edge?

Going into Mania we've heard so much about Batista and debates on whether he will be able to carry the WWE as the lead babyface.

Back in late 1997/early 1998 when the Austin push was full on, were there the same kinds of questions about him, or was he so crazy over at that point it was clear he would be nothing but a success?

Also, was there ever a plan to do anything other than Hogan vs. Warrior at Wrestlemania 6? And was there ever a plan to do a rematch at WM7? You'd think Hogan would have pushed to get his win back.

Also, was there ever a plan to do anything other than Hogan vs. Warrior at Wrestlemania 6? And was there ever a plan to do a rematch at WM7? You'd think Hogan would have pushed to get his win back.

WM 6 was always going to be Hogan v Warrior, since at least from when Warrior got the IC Title.

Hogan v Warror II was meant to headline WM 7, but Warrior failed to get over to the degree needed, so they changed plans.

Guest MikeSC
Going into Mania we've heard so much about Batista and debates on whether he will be able to carry the WWE as the lead babyface.

Back in late 1997/early 1998 when the Austin push was full on, were there the same kinds of questions about him, or was he so crazy over at that point it was clear he would be nothing but a success?

Austin was pretty obvious as the guy to carry the company. He was insane over during his program with Hart.

I am not 100% sold on Batista yet.

-=Mike

The big deal about the Austin push in 98 was that there were supposedly no credible heels to feud with him after he won the belt. When it was obvious Vince was going to be the top heel, A LOT of the people on the net thought the WWF was doomed because you couldn't have a wrestler feud with a non-wrestler and make it credible. There were tons of people on the net that thought Austin/McMahon would not work.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
From a WON Hotline 5/25/99 report:

"-The finish of the UT-Austin match was apparently changed. Something

contraversial [sic] was supposed to happen, but didn't due to the Owen Hart

situation."

Any idea on what was supposed to end Over the Edge?

Wasn't the stipulation that if Taker won he would get to crucify Austin on RAW the next night.

I remember watching RAw is Owen and debating whether they'd have Taker go super Rudo by pulling that on a night like this.

Guest MikeSC

Something was SCRATCHED due to the Owen death?

You mean something was worse than Vince being carted out on an ambulance AFTER Owen died?

The mind boggles.

-=Mike

What's they story on Jeff Jarrett returning in 1997 and doing a "shoot" interview and reinvents himself... then shortly before WrestleMania 14 becoming, out of what I remember as being absolutely nowhere, "Double J" again? Of course that was followed by Debra, a woman he spoke poorly of in his 1997 re-debut, becoming his manager. The whole thing seemed very odd.

On a similar note, why did Vince even allow Jarrett's 1997 run to exist? I believe it was the first time I had ever heard Vince saw WCW on Raw and I was pretty surprised (Vince, I believe, even commented on this by saying something to the extent of "that's something you probably thought you wouldn't hear on Raw"). Jarrett said something about leaving before and not liking working with drug addicts without naming names, then they follow it up by having him directly say to Ahmed Johnson he was talking about him. My memory of this quickly-abandoned persona / angle is a bit shakey, this seemed to be well before "attitude" took over the Fed and that sort of angle would be normal or accepted.

What's they story on Jeff Jarrett returning in 1997 and doing a "shoot" interview and reinvents himself... then shortly before WrestleMania 14 becoming, out of what I remember as being absolutely nowhere, "Double J" again? Of course that was followed by Debra, a woman he spoke poorly of in his 1997 re-debut, becoming his manager. The whole thing seemed very odd.

On a similar note, why did Vince even allow Jarrett's 1997 run to exist? I believe it was the first time I had ever heard Vince saw WCW on Raw and I was pretty surprised (Vince, I believe, even commented on this by saying something to the extent of "that's something you probably thought you wouldn't hear on Raw"). Jarrett said something about leaving before and not liking working with drug addicts without naming names, then they follow it up by having him directly say to Ahmed Johnson he was talking about him. My memory of this quickly-abandoned persona / angle is a bit shakey, this seemed to be well before "attitude" took over the Fed and that sort of angle would be normal or accepted.

The first part: Jarrett had convinced Vince that he (Jarrett) was hitting his prime, and now was the time to push him as a star.

The second part: Jarrett, in what would become a career pattern, wasn't getting over a lick, so they tried to reinvent him in an attempt to try and get him over.

Guess I was wrong about the Ahmed thing... he was the "black man that couldn't speak English" that JJ apparently mentioned, not the drug addict (I'll assume Hall for that).

Stolen from TOA:

Dressed in a jacket with

his hair tied back (looking a lot like Curt Hennig) Jarrett delivers the

mother of all "shoot" interviews. (How did we know it was a "shoot"?

Jarrett told us. Heh). The high points:

* He mentions Monday Nitro by name, saying that they tried to bury him

last week. He mentions the offer that was made to him and subsequently

pulled by WCW. He accuses Bischoff of holding him back, denying him

any chance of advancing.

* He gripes about being put in the ring with an "ex-football player" and

his "dumb blonde" wife.

* He trashes McMahon for turning him into a lame country singer. "You

booked me with a clown ... a former drug addict ... and a black man

who couldn't even speak the English language!" (Yoiks!) "You told me to

come out here tonight and 'shoot', and that's exactly what I'm doing

... right between your eyes! You can take 'With My Baby Tonight' and

stick it up your BUTT!" He accuses McMahon of trying to finish his

career since he couldn't put his father (Jerry Jarrett) out of

business.

* He says Bret Hart is living off his past accomplishments.

* Shawn Michaels can only wrestle once a week. All he can do is point at

his crotch and give his little hand signals to his "boys down south".

* All Steve Austin does is say "ass" to get noticed. He says Austin will

always be the "Ringmaster". He says he's offended by the blasphemous

"Austin 3:16".

By the end the crowd was chanting for Austin to come out and kill him.

Jarrett says this is what McMahon gets for all that money he gave him,

and that he better be prepared for a lot of headaches.