TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Does Britney Spears really need a greatest hits album? She's been around for like 5 years.

Brittany getting a greatest hits album is do to one of the oldest negotiation ploys in the industry: when you are one album shy of fullfilling your record contract's "X Number of Albums" requirements, you put out a greatest hits record with one or two new songs and that caps off the albums owed to the label under your contract, making you a free agent....

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Or like that one band (that slips my mind) that signed a 7 album deal and did ONE studio album.

There's only so many "Best Ofs" and "Live Albums" and "Demo Albums" you can have.

Simply put, if you don't like the following lyrics:

"Gazoyngas a plenty! Back pains she had many!

For such knockers hooters funbags boys were not even ready

She could hold your beer! Without hands she could steer!

Smack a grown man in the face so hard he's shed a few tears!

GHOST BOOBS OH YOU HARDLY KNEW ME

GHOST BOOBS OOH WE HARDLY KNEW YE

It was a fad diet! She had to try it!

Chrissy Snow looked pretty hot, so Thighmaster?

Just buy it!

A paid membership at the bulldyke gym

Cuz her boyfriend liked Sue Powter so why not impress him?

What she didn't foresee was that her big'uns would flee

Her thighs and gut both stayed the same but she could now see her knees

Her boyfriend he did weep!

He thought her twiddles would keep

But they didn't know that they would come back in her sleep!

I thought I was fat

So I went on a diet

If I knew that they'd split

I would've never of tried it

A-Whoa..yeah!!!"

You could, just maybe, have preferences toward the homosexual persuasion.

i hung out with a hot girl from chicago last night who recommended the arcade fire to me. i told her i'd check it out when i got the chance.

i bought the NWA 'straight outta compton'/'niggaz4life' double cd set tonight. i'm enjoying 'niggaz' way more. production on 'compton' sounded kind of primitive and cheesy, but the sound of 'niggaz' is amazing.

i'm thinking in particular of "something 2 dance 2." it just sounds so...80s. i swear to god dre uses a sample from "supersonic." and a lot of the funky staccato guitar stuff reminds me of early 80s michael jackson. but this is just a sleepy impression from a first listen. 'niggaz' sounds all smooth and fresh and shit.

Niggaz4life is definitely a land of wonder production-wise. I still like Straight Outta Compton's sound very much, though the second half of the album does tend toward some tinniness.

On a similar subject: I downloaded the Ying Yang Twins' "Georgia Dome" last night, after seeing IDRM talk about it last week. It's pretty vile, but also quite wonderful. A terrible beauty is born.

SOC is superior in every way outside the production, though. Niggaz gets a little too caught up in shock value and puerility; plus, Dre raps way too much on it. Dude's always had a decent voice, though his flow is kinda dull.

fake edit: In spite of my comments re: shock value, "Automobile" makes me giggle if only for the fact they all sing so horribly.

I'm a fan of "To Kill A Hooker." Just what it sounds like, guys.

Dre's raps on the latter album are brought down big-time by the fact that Ice Cube was no longer around to help write them for him. I'm fascinated by the cycle of departures, betrayals, and diss tracks within the whole N.W.A. family, really. "No Vaseline" on Death Certificate is probably the best thing to come out of it all.

Just a tip for you karaoke buffs.

If you're going to do a novelty song, make sure you're not the only person in the bar that's heard of it.

Apparently bar patrons in this area are not aware of the greatness that is "The Masochism Tango".

In contrast to Victoria Beckham's abomination, I enjoy Melanie C's solo career greatly. I like her solo albums better than the canon Spice albums.

You'd be surprised.

Their first two, Spice and Spiceworld were truly classic pop offerings. Then Geri Halliwell left and they put out a third album, Forever. They had clearly lost interest, and it was technically good but had no heart. In this period Geri Halliwell and Mel C put out solo albums, Mel C's being, as I said, really rather good, surprisingly so even though I thought the Spice Girls were great.

Geri came off like a cross between Madonna and Shirley Manson, which wasn't necesarily good, and it was a lackluster album.

Then the final four split up, and each released a solo album, including sophmore efforts from Mel and Geri. Mel's second album was slightly worse but still on par with vintage Spice, Geri's was slightly better, but still below par.

The other three girls' albums were not released in America. Victoria's was the abomination described, although she did sell a lot of singles. The other two were average.

There's also the myriad of singles and B-sides which were never released collectively, unfortunately.

I did listen to Mel C's first album today. I listened to a lot of female rock today. Her, Patti Smith, Lydia Lunch, Nina Hagen, Jayne County, even though Jayne County is technically a man. Nothing like transexual rock to make me realize I should hear more from the 70s NY punk scene.

Speaking of, it was Teenage Jesus and the Jerks I listened to, and the fact that Lydia Lunch could have been part of such a collective at 16 is almost scary... not as scary as Nina Hagen though. She's just a scary punk witch. I should have listened to Diamanda Galas as well, come to think of it... she's the only witch I can think of scarier than Nina Hagen.

really good albums that i almost never listen to all the way through, for one reason or another:

the chronic

bitches brew

check your head

dead elvis (death in vegas)

godweensatan

hail to the thief (well...not really good, but i always stop listening after "i will")

speakerboxxx

vespertine

i'm starting to think that picking up the nirvana box set was a mistake. if i listen to it for too long, the vocals make me start to feel all strung out. the beatles anthology it is not.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I think the Blood Brothers' "Crimes" album has firmly planted itself at the top of my list for album of the year, unless something surprisingly decent comes out in the next month. I did just order the Kaada/Mike Patton album, so that may give it a run for it's money, but the overall sound of Crimes is just what I needed right now.

really good albums that i almost never listen to all the way through, for one reason or another:

the chronic

It's understandable. After that first run of incredible songs, it gets a bit bogged down in Kurupt and RBX verses. "Bitches Ain't Shit" is a great closer, though.

dead elvis (death in vegas)

Hey, I remember that creepy video they did way back that either had nazis or four-armed people in it, or something like that. "Dirt," I think. So the album's good, then?

Furthermore, Galaxie 500's cover of "Ceremony" is not only better than the original, it surpasses much Joy Division's catalogue, excepting "Dead Souls" and "Transmission."

Also, Galaxie 500 are the best band to have never made a great album.

i dig the hell out of 'dead elvis', but i don't know if i could objectively call it really good. it's almost entirely laid-back soundscapes & atmospheres and such; some of it ambient, some rock-based, some reggae-based. download "opium shuffle" and "rocco." if you like them, you'll probably like the album.

Galaxie 500's take on the Velvet Underground's "Here She Comes Now" is the only cover of a VU song that surpasses the original. And I've heard a lot.

better than "sweet jane" even? i may have to check this out.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Who covered "Sweet Jane"

Cowboy Junkies

And VU's version is superior.