TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Is it me, or is Napoleon Dynamite in The Arcade Fire?

Sure as hell looks like it. That accordion dude is a nut.

The Arcade Fire album remains my favorite release of this year by a long measure. It's swirling and fantastic; while it certainly is "indie rock," the moments of sheer pop glory all throughout (and ouch, those pulsin' rhythms) really make it something grand. I like it much more than Blueberry Boat, and I also like Gallowsbird Bark more than Blueberry Boat. Less self-consciously wanky, better songs.

I'm a little more excited about seeing TV on the Radio open for the Pixies than seeing the Pixies themselves. The hit parade will undoubtedly be very fun, but I've got really high expectations for TV on the Radio after seeing some perforamance footage last week.

And what does the PF box set look like?

Dark, slimline cases with a small image of the original cover art in the middle, which if placed side by side, form the prism and rainbow from DSOTM on their spines. The set also comes with a hardbound book, by the way. I'll admit it's a hell of a nice set, just a poor choice of what's in it.

Does Britney Spears really need a greatest hits album? She's been around for like 5 years.

The remixes on that album are tight as fuck and worth what I paid ($7) for it alone, though I would have spent 12 or 13 if I had to. Although I did think it said "Carl Cox Megamix" but once I got it home, realized it was Chris Cox. A shame, cause you know, Carl Cox brings the good shit. The mix was still pretty good though.

By the way, War is the only U2 album I actually like, and Bono is a prick, but I wouldn't call them overrated. Objectively, they're a pretty good fuckin band.

- I like Bleeding Through. They're much different from the legions of metalcore/hardcore bands around today, even if their lyrics are shit.

- Mindless Self Indulgence is one of the worst bands ever. For that, I love them. Please listen to "Tight", it's even more horrible than Frankenstein Girls.

- U2's new song annoys me.

- The repetitive nature of the modern rock radio pisses me the hell off. My CD player is broken, so for the past few months, my car has been raped by the same 10 songs or so, non stop. On Friday, before I went to work, I heard two Velvet Revolver songs ("Set Me Free" & "Fall to Pieces"), and sure enough, on my way home, I heard the same two songs. The worst.

- Nile is NOT FUCKING BLACK METAL. Some asshole at my friends college insisted that they were, I laughed in their face.

- I love Dillinger Escape Plan. I don't know how I never listened to them before. I'm probably a fag.

- The Mad Capsule Markets are crazy. "MIDI Surf" is one of the best songs ever composed.

I'm a little more excited about seeing TV on the Radio open for the Pixies than seeing the Pixies themselves.  The hit parade will undoubtedly be very fun, but I've got really high expectations for TV on the Radio after seeing some perforamance footage last week.

Damn you. When I saw the Pixies, the Thrills opened. I damn near fell asleep during their set. Most innacurately named band ever.

Guest Phenom
And what does the PF box set look like?

Dark, slimline cases with a small image of the original cover art in the middle, which if placed side by side, form the prism and rainbow from DSOTM on their spines. The set also comes with a hardbound book, by the way. I'll admit it's a hell of a nice set, just a poor choice of what's in it.

Are you talking about Shine On? Cause that was a decade ago.

The playlist for my show, which will start at 10pm, EST. Listen here: http://stream.unf.edu:8080/ramgen/wosp/wosp.smil

01. The Wedding Present - Lovenest (live version, from the Yorkshire 1991 bootleg)

02. Talking Heads - Love ---> Building On Fire (live, from The Name of This Band is Talking Heads)

03. The Ponys - Virus Human

04. Television - Little Johnny Jewel

05. Sugar - Granny Cool

06. Guided by Voices - The Official Ironmen Rally Song

07. The Lyres - I Want to Help You, Ann

08. Wilco - Sunken Treasure

09. Devendra Banhart - This Beard is for Siobhán

10. The Residents - Tragic Bells

11. The Dead Texan - When I See Scissors, I Can't Help but Think of You

12. Galaxie 500 - Here She Comes Now

13. Pavement - Half a Canyon

14. The Beach Boys - I'm Waiting for the Day

Maybe my being a fan of CKY is having some influence over me, but the New CD "Universal Culture Shock" by Foreign Objects is sounding like one of the best CDs of the past several years. It has some very cool riffs, decent drumming, cool death metal vocals, solos from James Murphy, and a death metal cover of a Sparks song. What more could you ask for?

- Mindless Self Indulgence is one of the worst bands ever. For that, I love them. Please listen to "Tight", it's even more horrible than Frankenstein Girls.

Buy it for me, moneybags.

Maybe my being a fan of CKY is having some influence over me, but the New CD "Universal Culture Shock" by Foreign Objects is sounding like one of the best CDs of the past several years.  It has some very cool riffs, decent drumming, cool death metal vocals, solos from James Murphy, and a death metal cover of a Sparks song.  What more could you ask for?

Not a death metal cover of a Sparks song. That kind of thing irritates me.

Which reminds me, I think the worst cover of all time is Marilyn Manson's Hit Me Baby One More Time. He doesn't put any effort at all into it, it's as if he think "Me, Marilyn Manson! Singing Britney Spears!" is enough.

He did some good covers though. I like his Tainted Love and Golden Years. His version of I Put A Spell On You is probably my second favorite, after Diamanda Galas', and that's one of the most covered songs I know.

Television - Little Johnny Jewel

By the way, I like that song because it sounds like "Little Johnny Jew".

Has anyone got Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus yet? I've not heard it.

Oh yeah. It's not bad. Best one in a bit.

I think Incandenza doesn't like it, at least I seem to remember him saying that.

Does anyone know what the story is with "Sister Midnight" from The Idiot and "Red Money" from Lodger being the exact same song with different lyrics?

Has anyone got Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus yet? I've not heard it.

Oh yeah. It's not bad. Best one in a bit.

I think Incandenza doesn't like it, at least I seem to remember him saying that.

It's better than Nocturama, but I don't like the piano balladry direction Cave's been exploring these last few albums.

-Mindless Self Indulgence is really really great. I mean, I love listening to them. So much energy. So much disdain.

Bring the Pain is an epic. EPIC. song.

-Good Clean Fun is really enjoyable, although their hardcore Straitedge message isn't entirely for me. I played it at work, and my coworker didn't know if he was listening to hardcore punk or like, an afterschool special... Oh well, at least they're local.

i think if i learned all the words, i could do a bad ass "let's go crazy" on karaoke.

albums i have at home only on vinyl that i now miss cause i don't have my turntable up here:

liz phair - exile in guyville

miles davis - kind of blue (actually i had the cd too, but i left it at my best friend's house in illinois)

smashing pumpkins - siamese dream

peter gabriel - the self-titled melty album

prince - batman sndtrk

bob dylan - another side of bob dylan, time out of mind

i rented the 'ben stiller show' dvd set the other night, and they had one parody called "the grungies", which was a seattle grunge update of the monkees. the sketch stopped being funny after maybe a minute, but their grunge rockstar parodies were spot-on. they had an eddie vedder/chris cornell wannabe, with long thick hair and a goatee who climbed all over the stage; a dave grohl wannabe who never wore a shirt and flailed his hair all over the place; and a kurt cobain wannabe who wore knit sweaters and acted strung out on heroin all the time (which was way more hilarious than it ethically should be--you could never see his face because his head was always down from being so sedated). it's funnier than i've made it sound.

So I listend to Speakerboxxx/Love Below today, and have decided Speakerboxxx is the better album and Big Boi the, perhaps not better, but more vital, rapper. Allow me to elaborate.

Speakerboxxx is one of the most chill albums I know, it's up there with Superfly. It doesn't have as many standout tracks as it might, but it really creates a mood. If you smoke a blunt and listen to it it's like a religious experience.

Bowtie is a fucking pimp song, by the way.

Love Below is a great album too, but it just, there's no other way to put it, sounds too much like a Prince album. Which is a good thing, and I might feel different were I not such a Prince fan, but while it's a good album, it shows it's influence too much. Not only Prince, though he's the one I hear the most in it.

Now Dre bringing all these influences into a hip hop environment is good, but that's the problem... Love Below was too far removed from a hip hop album. That's why it worked better on Aquemini and Stankonia, he had Big Boi there to keep him grounded.

When they split it down the middle like that, it looks like Dre needs Big Boi, but Big Boi doesn't need Dre.

Guest Fire and Knives

IDRM is totally fucking right about Bowtie.

Thought: why doesn't anybody talk about Big L?

K.

Though it took several years for me to realize this, Being There really is Wilco's finest album, and one of the best albums of the 90s. The songwriting and performances are so tight it's ridiculous; I like their post-Summerteeth stuff, sure, but Tweedy lost a little something the more "difficult" the band became.

I haven't purchased much "new" music as of late, but what I have discovered is that the one new album I bought SUCKS. Fuck A Perfect Circle for trying to be political. It didn't work, Maynard. Now give me another Tool album.

Guest Fire and Knives

Shadows Fall is completely fuckin' underwhelming to me. So is Nevermore, but I might need to check out more of their albums because there have been Nevermore songs that I liked. Shadows Fall just kinda makes me laugh so far.

Also, Gift of Gab's new album is not very good.

K.