TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

The Ultimate Fighter

Guest Salacious Crumb

The whole Franklin/Shamrock work thing is getting really annoying. Especially considering it's a bunch of people that have little to no idea what they're talking about and completely buy into the myth of Shamrock being a great writer.

Like I said, it's kind of hard to fake having a huge black and blue lump of flesh under your eye after getting hit in the face with a barrage of punches...

So I'm in class yesterday and after I finish writing the exam Prof. Joe comes up and we start chattin about TUF finale. "What a brilliant marketing, it was one big advertisement for the PPV" :)

Man, I wish my professors would talk about MMA. All mine ever do is whine about enviornmentalism...

Yeah, Joe is old school too. We also discussed Royce Graice and Ken Shamrock. "Ken Shamrock 10 years ago wouldn't have fallen after that kick", and "Royce can't still be fighting nowadays" RRR: "He fought New Years, against some Sumo guy, he won too." The great thing about the convo about TUF is that Joe is in Advertising and Promotions, so he "got" right away what the purpose of the TV show was. He's really interested in seeing the PPV, which is a good sign from a casual fan POV.

Guest Brian

One of the Southeast Asia professors at my school loves talking about UFC with me.

There's a great article about the UFC, the expectation for the show and the PPV, and all that it's achieved by Ivan Trombow at MMA Weekly. Some of the more interesting points:

The fact that the winners of the first season got a Toyota Scion might not have seemed like a big deal at first glance, but getting sponsorship from Toyota is actually a huge deal. Car manufacturers are considered "high-end advertisers" that often refrain from sponsoring shows that they feel are beneath their corporate image. As an example, Vince McMahon recently complained in a Wall Street Journal article about the fact that not a single car manufacturer has a sponsorship deal to advertise on WWE Raw on a national basis.

Instead of paying a much smaller than normal CPM rate (which is how much an advertiser pays for an individual commercial per viewer), the second season of The Ultimate Fighter will have the same CPM rate as any other sports programming. That is a huge deal and a huge sign of respect from the television industry. For the purposes of comparison, companies that advertise on WWE programming still pay a significantly smaller than normal CPM rate even with WWE's huge ratings, due to the perception that WWE's viewers have less disposable income than the average sports entertainment fan. The Ultimate Fighter overcame an obstacle in 13 weeks that pro wrestling has not been able to overcome for decades.

The UFC showed no interest in signing Ortiz at that price, and neither did Pride. From Pride's standpoint, Ortiz is not a big star in Japan and certainly not worth that much money. From the UFC's perspective, Ortiz is their fourth-biggest PPV draw behind Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, and Chuck Liddell, and he just recently headlined a PPV that drew a paltry 35,000 buys. Also, the UFC is at a point now where most of the fighters who were on The Ultimate Fighter are better known to the American public than Tito Ortiz.

I truly think that April 9th, 2005 is a day that will go down in MMA history. Not only did we get the first ever MMA fights on live TV, but to get an all-time classic like Bonnar-Griffin was amazing. We also got two other fights that were short but were excellent while they lasted. In Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, the UFC has two legitimate stars who are A) Great fighters, B) Great personalities that can give good interviews in both a serious way and a funny way, and C) Good people who live the kind of lifestyles we'd all want UFC fighters to live... the anti-Tank Abbott, if you will.

I think from a business standpoint, what Bonnar and Griffin did during the fight was matched by what they did after the fight, as they had the crowd in the palms of their hands cheering for them, genuinely laughing at their post-fight jokes, liking both guys and wanting to see them both again, etc. The decision was close and I would have personally had it 29 to 28 in favor of Bonnar, but it was close enough that you can't say it's anything even resembling a "robbery" either way

Well, if anyone wants to know, UFC is on right now. (I guess it's a rundown show or something? I dunno) It's on TNA's channel, the Fox Sport channel

But it seems evidently it is in fact real matches rather then a recap show

It's the Tito Ortiz/Chuck Lidell fight

Guest Brian

Holy shit! Real Pro Wrestling is on. I didn't know it had come into existence yet.

If you're on the West Coast and get In-Demand HDTV channel, you get to watch UFC on Fox at 5 and on IDHD you get to watch UFC 51 at 6.