Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NFL Offseason/Pre-Draft Thread

Guest The Gecko
New Hand on Deck

Mariucci Names Visionary Ted Tollner As Lions' Offensive Coordinator

By DetroitLions.com

January 26, 2005

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions today announced that they have hired Ted Tollner as the team’s offensive coordinator. Terms of his contract were not disclosed.

“I’ve known Ted for more than 20 years and consider him to be one of the best minds in football,” said Lions Head Coach Steve Mariucci. “His pedigree is incomparable, having learned from Don Coryell, who most regard as one of the most innovative offensive coaches in the history of our game. Ted’s been involved with the most successful and progressive offensive philosophies in football from Don Coryell to LaVell Edwards to John Robinson to Marv Levy to Chuck Knox. He will be a tremendous asset to our young offensive players. This is an exceptional addition to our staff.”

Having spent more than 30 years coaching on the college and NFL levels, Tollner’s experience was finely tuned working in three of the most innovative offenses in the history of the game. Given the coaching and player lineage and schematic evolution derived from these offenses, perhaps no other systems have had a greater impact on today’s offensive schemes than those that Tollner is associated. He began his coaching career at San Diego State under Don Coryell, the architect of the “Air Coryell” offense. As an assistant coach for Buffalo under Hall of Fame Head Coach Marv Levy from 1987-88, he tutored the Bills’ receivers at the launch of the “K-Gun” passing attack. In 2002, Tollner began coaching in the “West Coast” offense as quarterbacks coach and he then served as offensive coordinator for the 49ers this past season.

Under Mariucci in ’02, Tollner helped QB Jeff Garcia reach his third consecutive Pro Bowl by throwing for 3,344 yards, 21 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. The 49ers won the NFC West and advanced to the divisional-round of the playoffs that season.

From 1994-01, Tollner was the head coach at San Diego State, where he compiled a record of 43-48. He posted two eight-win seasons in his second and third years with the Aztecs (1995 and ’96), which marked the first consecutive eight-win seasons since Coryell accomplished the feat in 1976-77. Tollner also directed San Diego State to its first postseason bowl game in seven years with a berth in the Las Vegas Bowl (1998). Current NFL players that played under Tollner include Lions WR Az-Zahir Hakim, Cowboys DT La’Roi Glover, Rams T Kyle Turley and Packers DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Prior to his head coaching stint at SDSU, Tollner was the Los Angeles Rams quarterbacks coach under Head Coach Chuck Knox from 1992-93. He moved to Los Angeles after a three-year period (1989-91) as the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator. From 1987-88, he was the wide receivers coach for the Buffalo Bills.

Tollner served as offensive coordinator and running backs coach at USC during the 1982 season, and in November of 1982, was named John Robinson’s successor as Trojans head coach. He compiled a 26-20-1 record and directed the team to a Pacific 10 Conference title and three bowl berths. His 1984 USC squad posted a 9-3 record, finished 10th in the AP poll and defeated fifth-ranked Ohio State 20-17 in one of the greatest upsets in Rose Bowl history. The Trojans finished 7-1 in the conference that year and earned their first trip to the Rose Bowl as conference champs since 1979. Tollner was named Pac-10 Coach-of-the-Year that season. His two other bowl appearances with the Trojans include the 1985 Aloha Bowl and the 1987 Citrus Bowl. Among the coaches on Tollner’s staff included Mariucci, Lions Offensive Line Coach Pat Morris, Oakland Raiders Head Coach Norv Turner, University of Pittsburgh Head Coach Dave Wannstedt and Bears Offensive Coordinator Ron Turner.

During his tenure at Brigham Young University (1981), Tollner served as the quarterbacks coach under LaVell Edwards. Among the crop of BYU quarterbacks that developed under Tollner included Jim McMahon (led nation in passing in 1981) and Steve Young.

Tollner’s coaching career on the college level began at San Diego State when he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Coryell from 1973-80. Tollner first started his coaching career in the San Francisco area at Woodside High School (1963-66) and San Mateo College (1968-72).

Born May 29, 1940, Tollner earned a bachelor’s degree in 1962 and later a master’s degree in physical education at Cal Poly. He was a starting quarterback for the Mustangs for two years and pitched for the baseball team for four seasons. He was one of 26 survivors of the tragic Cal Poly plane crash on October 29, 1960, which killed 22 people, 16 of them players. In 1989, Tollner was inducted into the Cal Poly Athletics Hall of Fame.

Tollner’s Coaching Background:

Detroit Lions 2005

- Offensive Coordinator 2005

San Francisco 49ers 2002-04

- Offensive Coordinator 2003-04

- Quarterbacks 2002

San Diego State 1994-01

- Head Coach 1994-01

Los Angeles Rams 1992-93

- Quarterbacks 1992-93

San Diego Chargers 1989-91

- Offensive Coordinator 1989-91

Buffalo Bills 1987-88

- Wide Receivers 1987-88

Southern California 1982-86

- Head Coach 1982-86

- Offensive Coordinator 1982

Brigham Young 1981

- Quarterbacks 1981

San Diego State 1973-80

- Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks 1973-80

Well he's obviously familiar with Mariucci, but the 49ers offense didn't seem to be so great last year. I hope its because of the talent and not because of the coordinator... one thing is for sure, he can't be worse than their last OC...

I just read in the Oregonian that Eric Crouch has signed with the Chiefs. I can't find a link so heres the excerpt from the paper:

/Kansas City: Heisman trophy winning quarterback Eric Crouch signed with the Chiefs in another attempt to make the NFL as a defensive back.  The Chiefs will look at Crouch as a safety and plan to send him to NFL Europe this spring.

Guest Flyboy
I bet Mike Williams will fall in the draft pretty far. I have a feeling that NFL coaches aren't going to be too keen on taking a receiver that's been a full year out of football.

Nah, man -- he's going to be a top 10 pick and probably the first WR off the board.

Look at Willis McGahee. He took a year off AND recovered from major surgery and turned out great. If hes been staying in shape and working on his game Williams will be just fine.

Guest El Satanico

It's not like playing college ball for another year would have made him a better NFL wr. If he's going to be a good NFL WR, he will be. Unless there's health, mental or legal problems an elite college player isn't going to drop far.

Detroit Lions expect to change their offense by 25%. SLB Teddy Lehman could move to MLB or WLB upon Boss Bailey's return.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/28/H02-73126.htm

Pittsburgh Steelers told RG Keydrick Vincent that he likely wouldn't be re-signed.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...e/s_297744.html

Green Bay Packers re-signed RB Tony Fisher to a 1 year, $600,000 contract.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan05/296813.asp

San Francisco 49ers OC Mike McCarthy plans to bring the West Coast Offense back.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPGJ3B21V11.DTL

San Diego Chargers signed Carl Mauck as their new OL coach.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...28chargers.html

Jacksonville Jaguars signed Steve Walters as their new WR coach.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/ar...ent_ID=64740297

New York Jets hired Jeremy Bates as their new QB coach.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/b...92637150630.xml

Oakland Raiders hired Jim Colletto as their new OL coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-r...ov=ap&type=lgns

Dallas Cowboys hired Paul Pasqualoni as an Assistant Coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cowb...ov=st&type=lgns

The Bucs cap situation has led to speculation that Brad Johnson will become a cap casualty.

I think getting demoted to third string kinda gives it away. He, Alstott (the most overrated Buc ever) and Ian Gold are probably on the outs.

The Jets have a shitload of cap room. Once the Titans cut Derrick Mason, they should really make a run at him, with Heimerdinger as the Offensive Coordinator already in place.

The Jets have a shitload of cap room. Once the Titans cut Derrick Mason, they should really make a run at him, with Heimerdinger as the Offensive Coordinator already in place.

What about Samari Rolle? I think he'd be a better pickup than 30+ year old Derrick Mason.

Guest Vitamin X

Receivers can still get it done past 30, their position relies more on conditioning and ability more than being physical, like running backs and linemen.

I would much rather have Samari Rolle on the Pack, but that's just me being biased. Not sure if they'd want to bail out on the Ahmad Carroll project so quickly.

Guest Vitamin X

3 million over the cap can easily be resolved by getting rid of KGB and a few non-contributing defenders. Also, if Favre retires, that would obviously put them way under the cap as well.

I'd say the Packers need to convert Carroll to play special teams exclusively, resign Wahle and Rivera to keep the o-line intact, and trade Davenport as well. The underachieving Cletidus Hunt should get traded or released as well, some other team will look at his potential and might get him better suited to another defense. Packers also need to look at linemen and linebackers in the draft; Hannibal Navies is NOT a starting-caliber linebacker, altrhough he hasn't done anything to really disprove that, I feel there are many better alternatives. Roman, Sharper, and Harris played solid, it's the last secondary spot that kills. Which is where Samari Rolle could come in and help, I hope.

I wouldnt give up on Ahmad Carroll so quickly many a cornerback have looked horrible in their rookie year (ie in the Bucs case Brian Kelly) only to have solid or great careers in the NFL.

3 million over the cap can easily be resolved by getting rid of KGB and a few non-contributing defenders. Also, if Favre retires, that would obviously put them way under the cap as well.

I'd say the Packers need to convert Carroll to play special teams exclusively, resign Wahle and Rivera to keep the o-line intact, and trade Davenport as well. The underachieving Cletidus Hunt should get traded or released as well, some other team will look at his potential and might get him better suited to another defense. Packers also need to look at linemen and linebackers in the draft; Hannibal Navies is NOT a starting-caliber linebacker, altrhough he hasn't done anything to really disprove that, I feel there are many better alternatives. Roman, Sharper, and Harris played solid, it's the last secondary spot that kills. Which is where Samari Rolle could come in and help, I hope.

Wouldn't getting rid of guys in the middle of their contracts cause cap penalties? Or is KGB's contract up?

Bucs Reportedly Not High On Bills RB Henry

Tampa Tribune: " Disgruntled Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry remains confident he'll work out a trade to another team this winter, but his chances of landing in Tampa Bay might be slim. "

http://tampatrib.com/Sports/MGB83CKDJ4E.html

Griese Awaits Commitment From Bucs

Tampa Tribune: "Eager to resolve what might be their biggest offseason issue, the Bucs hope to reach an agreement soon on a contract for projected starting QB Brian Griese. They're not likely to get their wish."

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBDH4XUH4E.html

Vincent likely done with Steelers

Pittsburgh Tribune Review: "Steelers unrestricted free agent Keydrick Vincent, who started 27 games at left and right guard the past two seasons, met with coach Bill Cowher this week and became convinced that he has played his last game in Pittsburgh."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...e/s_297744.html

Del Rio continues shake-up

Jacksonville Times-Union (registration required): "Del Rio also expects to add experience to his defensive staff next month with the addition of former Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo, who spent the past two seasons as the Browns' defensive coordinator. "

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._17818558.shtml

49ers meet with McCloughan

Oakland Tribune: "Seattle Seahawks college scouting director Scot McCloughan on Friday became the fifth candidate to interview for the personnel director's position with the San Francisco 49ers"

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_2544017

The Pats will clear a bunch of cap room dealing Law (probably for a 2nd round pick, unless they throw their first rounder in as well to either move up to a mid-round pick or get a first rounder in '06 (like they did with the Ravens a couple years ago; thanks for Vince Wilfork, guys!).

I'd still try to get younger in the defense, ESPECIALLY in the linebacking corps. I mean, Bruschi and Co. do their jobs well, but McGinest is 34, Bruschi's 31, Ted Johnson is 33, and Roman Phifer is talking about retirement (the youngest guy there is Mike Vrabel, and he's 29), so they should definitely use a couple of picks to find some. Also, who knows if Rosevelt Colvin will ever fully recover from that hip injury.

And I think they might also want to grab a backup QB in FA or the draft, because Rohan Davey just isn't impressing anyone.

What about Samari Rolle? I think he'd be a better pickup than 30+ year old Derrick Mason.

I was thinking Samari Rolle as well, but we can use another reciever. One or the other would be fine, as we can also draft a CB with our first pick.

I was thinking Samari Rolle as well, but we can use another reciever. One or the other would be fine, as we can also draft a CB with our first pick.

Simple, get Rolle and if possible, Burress, draft a CB to develop obviously because Rolle wouldnt be a long term player for the Jets.

Simple, get Rolle and if possible, Burress, draft a CB to develop obviously because Rolle wouldnt be a long term player for the Jets.

Burress will demand top flight money, something the Jets won't do for Wide Recievers, and something Burress doesn't deserve anyway. I'd try to sign both Rolle and Mason, or Rolle and possibly someone like Jerry Porter.

Well, according to ESPN.com, the Redskins let Rod Gardner seek out a trade. The Skins would want a 2nd rounder, and his base salary for '05 is just a shade under $1.5M, so that could be worthwhile.

Gardner wouldn't be too bad for the Jets. He can be the 6'2 reciever we need to pair up with McCareins, and send Moss back to the slot where he is most dangerous.

I think that Rod Gardner is very underrated due to having absolute shite throwing to him for his entire career. He could explode if traded to a team with even a decent QB (Pennington, with McCairens and Moss would be pretty nice imo).

Still waiting to hear that Miami is talking to Travis Henry. Or Edgerrin James. Or any goddamn FA RB. Dammit.

I don't know, this seems to have slipped under the radar, but the Tennessee Titans hired their new Wide Receivers coach, Ray Sherman, formerly of the Green Bay Packers.

They're still searching for an Offensive Coordinator, and the deal with Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz is "unofficially done, officially there are still some minor details to work out" (Coach Jeff Fisher).

(Long Post)

From one of my fantasy football newsletters:

** Packers WR Donald Driver appeared on Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday and was

asked if he thought Brett Favre would retire. "Everyone has been asking me that

question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and

forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up," Driver said.

** Eagles WR Freddie Mitchell is backing off his ill-timed comments last week

about Patriots strong safety Rodney Harrison and the rest of their secondary.

Mitchell went on ESPN last week and was asked to name the Patriots secondary --

He said he didn't know names, only numbers, and then he issued this warning to

Harrison, "I'll have something for him." Harrison was visibly perturbed and you

could almost feel another $50,000 dollar helmet-to-helmet hit coming on this

Sunday. Of course, Mitchell smartly pulled back on Tuesday. “People are really

taking those comments too serious,” he said. “I think that it is the game of

football and at the end of the day you can either handle all of it or not on the

field. I was having fun and was being facetious with the whole situation.”

** ESPN's John Clayton reports Emmitt Smith has talked to the Cardinals about

retiring. Look for the legendary running back to sign a ceremonial one-day deal

with Dallas so he can go out as a Cowboy. Smith, 35, was scheduled to be an

unrestricted free agent in March after spending the last two seasons in Arizona.

The NFL's all-time leading rusher will finish his career with 18,355 yards. The

mark may stand for a while because Emmitt's almost 5,000 yards ahead of the next

active rusher on the list: Curtis Martin with 13,366 yards. There are also

rumors that Emmitt is joining an investment group that will purchase the

Minnesota Vikings.

** Bengals RB Rudi Johnson's agent said that his client will sit out next season

if the Bengals place the franchise tag on Johnson. The star running back signed

a 1-year tender offer for $1.8 million last spring as a restricted free agent.

The franchise tag means the Bengals must offer Johnson the average of the top

five salaries for running backs from last season (about $6 million) in exchange

for having the right of first refusal should any other team make an offer to him

in free agency. Any other team that wants Johnson would have to give the Bengals

two first-round draft choices as compensation.  This could get ugly.  Wasn’t

Corey Dillon the bad guy and Rudi Johnson the good guy?

** Redskins WR Laveranues Coles has informed team officials that he will not

have surgery to repair a toe injury that has bothered him each of the last two

seasons. Coles received a cortisone shot in the toe late last season and it

seemed to help him finish strong. "We have ruled out surgery," HC Joe Gibbs

said. "We did get him a shot later in the year and it seemed to make a lot of

difference."

** NFL sources told The Post that the Bills will almost definitely hold on to

Travis Henry until the draft, unless they are totally blown away by an offer. GM

Tom Donahoe put the minds of Dolphins fans at ease when he recently stated that

he would be willing to trade Henry in the division provided he got enough in

return. The Vikings are also interested in the two-time 1,300-yard rusher.

** Jim Wyatt reports for The Sporting News that the Titans haven't drafted this

early (#6 overall) since 1995. The glaring hole could be at wide receiver,

especially if veteran WR Derrick Mason is a cap casualty. The Titans could go

after Michigan WR Braylon Edwards with the #6 pick or possibly Georgia's Reggie

Brown in the second round.

** 49ers HC Mike Nolan said he likes the idea of picking "the very best player

in the country" with the #1 overall pick. Considering their suspect stable of

quarterbacks (Rattay, Dorsey), it wouldn't be surprising if the 49ers take Alex

Smith or Aaron Rodgers. That would make it six consecutive years that the NFL's

#1 overall pick was used on a quarterback.

** The Charlotte Observer reports Panthers RB Stephen Davis' agent said all

indications are that his client will make a full recovery from microfracture

knee surgery. We don't believe it. Davis has missed 20 of his last 48 games and

will turn 31 in a few weeks.

** The Tampa Tribune reports the Bucs are "far apart" in negotiations with QB

Brian Griese. Jon Gruden would like to keep him around, but Griese is due a

massive $6 million roster bonus in March.

** ESPN reports the Green Bay Packers have signed RB Tony Fisher to a one-year

contract extension worth $460,000 in base salary including a $200,000 signing

bonus. Obviously the Packers realize they need experienced and capable bodies

behind Ahman Green because he is not a 16-game running back.  We thought Green

might be an Emmitt Smith-type of workhorse when he burst on the scene a few

years ago.  Now he reminds us of Robert Smith...

** The Jets hired Jeremy Bates to be their new QB coach. Jeremy is the son of

Jim Bates (the Dolphins' ex-interim coach, now in Green Bay) and he shares a

history with Chad Pennington. Bates, 28, was a high school QB phenom in

Knoxville, TN -- just like Pennington.  Jeremy won the big prize and got a full

scholarship at University of Tennessee to learn behind Peyton Manning.

Pennington really wanted that scholarship so he ended up attending Marshall

instead. Of course, Bates grew tired of waiting for his shot at UT so he

transferred to Rice to finish his college career. He spent the last 3 years

working as an asst. coach under Jon Gruden at Tampa Bay.

** An NFL source told the Miami Herald that the Cleveland Browns are going to

release QB Jeff Garcia after one failed season in Cleveland. Garcia, who turns

35 next month, might be interested in playing for Miami. Depending on the price,

Garcia would certainly fit the veteran presence Nick Saban said he is looking

for. There are also rumors that Vikings backup QB Gus Frerotte would like to

play in Miami. Frerotte visited the Dolphins in the past in free agency.

-- Julius Jones rushed for at least 149 yards three times in his first eight NFL

starts. Emmitt Smith only reached 149+ twice in his first 40 NFL starts.  Julius

also rushed for 803 yards in his first seven starts, behind only Eric Dickerson,

George Rogers and Earl Campbell.

-- Trent Green is only the fourth quarterback in NFL history with consecutive

4,000-yard seasons, following Dan Fouts (1980-81), Dan Marino (three straight

from 1984-86) and Peyton Manning (six straight from 1999-04). Green’s 95.2 QB

rating was the highest by a Chiefs QB since Len Dawson (101.9) in 1966.

-- Jamal Lewis is about to serve his four-month jail sentence. He just had

surgery on his ankle on January 21st and will have to rehab in prison by

himself. Lewis’ sentence also includes two months in a halfway house this summer

and 500 hours of community service after his release. Any of his normal

preparation for football season is out the window in 2005.