TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Fact or a myth?

Bret Hart was ready to jump to WCW in 1992 and this is why he dropped the IC Title to the Mountie (the illness was made up not to make him look weak should he resign).  Myth or reality?

I think it was more along the lines of Bret Hart was sick and injured, and had to take some time off, and The Mountie just happened to be lucky enough to be wrestling him that night, so he got the belt. I don't see why he would have wanted to jump to WCW, he was in the middle of a pretty good push, and it's not like there was a whole heck of a lot of oppertunity for him there at the time.

*edit* Ok, further investigation seems to show that he did try and ditch for WCW,but he misinterpreted his contract. That still doesn't sound right though, wouldn't Vince have just buried him if he really did attempt such a thing?

I mean, he was looking at possible jail time for assault and assault with a deadly weapon after supposedly punching a backstage crew hand in the face, while wearing a big fat ring, that did a nice amount of damage to the punchee's face.

Ha... I talked to him briefly after that, not knowing what happened (I asked for an autograph) and then saw him get arrested. That was the only cool thing to ever happen in Springfield, Illinois.

If only I'd had a camera...

Yes, Bret Hart was on his way to WCW in 1992. But in his contract he has to give the WWF notice by a certain time in the year, or he's stuck. Obviously, he missed the date. This all from Dave MEltzer.

Guest wildpegasus
I think Luger was scheduled to win the belt at WM 10 since prior to Summerslam 93 but the plan changed to Bret getting the strap at RR 94. Luger was obviously being groomed to take Hogan's spot and I believe they did the count out finish at SS so he could get the win at the biggest show of the year. But Luger was not a guy with enough charisma or star power to be able to afford not winning the belt at that show and as such his heat died down a lot. If they wanted Luger to be a big star they needed to have given him the belt at Summerslam. Trying ot stretch it out was a mistake and history proved it.

Luger got the countout win because he bragged he was going to win the title beforehnad and one of the newspapers got wind of it so the WWF decided to change the outcome of the bout. Pretty sure on that.

I think Luger was scheduled to win the belt at WM 10 since prior to Summerslam 93 but the plan changed to Bret getting the strap at RR 94.  Luger was obviously being groomed to take Hogan's spot and I believe they did the count out finish at SS so he could get the win at the biggest show of the year.  But Luger was not a guy with enough charisma or star power to be able to afford not winning the belt at that show and as such his heat died down a lot.  If they wanted Luger to be a big star they needed to have given him the belt at Summerslam.  Trying ot stretch it out was a mistake and history proved it.

Luger got the countout win because he bragged he was going to win the title beforehnad and one of the newspapers got wind of it so the WWF decided to change the outcome of the bout. Pretty sure on that.

Luger getting the count out win at SummerSlam was always the planned finish.

Bret Hart's dropping of the IC Title had nothing to do with his wanting to go to WCW. It was done purely to set up a babyface v babyface match with Roddy Piper.

Guest LooneyTune

Luger was probably scehduled to win the title that far back (win lamely at Summerslam, then fight for the real win later on), but the fans didn't take him as anything special. Like mentioned, when they did the double elimination finish for the Rumble, Bret Harts pop for his announcement was far better than Lugers, and thus Luger winning the title was scrapped completely.

Imagine LUGER as World Champion in 1994... damn. Bret Hart didn't have a single bad match on the 5 PPV's that year, and Luger... he tries hard?

well having yoko win the first title match at mania 10 made little sense, as he was a huge guy and having to work two 10 plus minute matches would seem like a stretch for him(and in the 2nd match you could see that he was out of energy, it made more sense for Luger to win the title, then lose it to breteven though lex was a roided up guy who probably would also blow up quickly)

BUT...having Bret beat Yoko makes a lot of sense as it gives the underdog face a big win agaisnt the mosnter heel at mania which seems right. and it blew off the year old issue of Bret vs Yoko from mania 9 where bret was cheated out of his title, so a year later he got his revenge.

well having yoko win the first title match at mania 10 made little sense, as he was a huge guy and having to work two 10 plus minute matches would seem like a stretch for him(and in the 2nd match you could see that he was out of energy, it made more sense for Luger to win the title, then lose it to breteven though lex was a roided up guy who probably would also blow up quickly)

Be thankful for time constraints; both of his matches at WM X were originally set to last a total of about 40 minutes.

Who in their right mind would book Yoko to go that long? That is absolutely crazy. The longest match he ever worked was probably 15 minutes and most that would have been nerve holds.

Who in their right mind would book Yoko to go that long? That is absolutely crazy. The longest match he ever worked was probably 15 minutes and most that would have been nerve holds.

Yes, it's nuts, but there you go. The Luger match went just under 15 minutes, and was originally given 24 minutes, which meant the match was set for about 20 minutes, so we 'lost' about five minutes of classic action. The Bret match went about 10 minutes, which meant it was probably cut short by around 4-5 minutes.

What a dumb idea, it kind of makes me glad that they wasteed all that time interviewing the CLinton impersonater.

Fact or Myth:

HBk was wavering on whether or no to do the job for Austin at WM 14, but Taker taped his fists and threatened to beat the shit out of him if he didn't.

Who in their right mind would book Yoko to go that long?  That is absolutely crazy.  The longest match he ever worked was probably 15 minutes and most that would have been nerve holds.

Yes, it's nuts, but there you go. The Luger match went just under 15 minutes, and was originally given 24 minutes, which meant the match was set for about 20 minutes, so we 'lost' about five minutes of classic action. The Bret match went about 10 minutes, which meant it was probably cut short by around 4-5 minutes.

YIKES But if you have seen the Yoko-Luger summerslam 93 match it went about 18 mins and it wasnt that bad. I might have given it **, if It had a clean finish I may have gone closer to *** However their wm x match was absolute crap, save for when Luger slipped on the outside of the ring sliding into the guard rail and Vince trying to cover it up by saying something about Fuji

Fact or Myth:

HBk was wavering on whether or no to do the job for Austin at WM 14, but Taker taped his fists and threatened to beat the shit out of him if he didn't.

True. Shawn, up until literally just before the match, was making noises about not wanting to do the job to Austin. Undertaker came up to the gorilla position and taped his fists up, and told Shawn point blank that if he didn't do the job in the ring, he'd be doing the job for real when he returned to the back.

Fact or Myth:

True. Shawn, up until literally just before the match, was making noises about not wanting to do the job to Austin. Undertaker came up to the gorilla position and taped his fists up, and told Shawn point blank that if he didn't do the job in the ring, he'd be doing the job for real when he returned to the back.

It's stuff like this that makes me waonder about HBK's sanity. What the fuck was he going to do? Give up the title again so he could retire due to the injury?

What was Vince's reaction to Shawn not wanting to job despite being badly injured, at the time they though he would be 9 months if I recall? I can't imagine that Vinec wouldn't force him to do the job on the most important show in WWF history (if that show tanked then WWF never would have taken off like it did).

And while I'm asking questions, what were the plans, if any for Shawn after WM 14 had he not been injured?

Fact or Myth:

It's stuff like this that makes me waonder about HBK's sanity. What the fuck was he going to do? Give up the title again so he could retire due to the injury?

What was Vince's reaction to Shawn not wanting to job despite being badly injured, at the time they though he would be 9 months if I recall? I can't imagine that Vinec wouldn't force him to do the job on the most important show in WWF history (if that show tanked then WWF never would have taken off like it did).

And while I'm asking questions, what were the plans, if any for Shawn after WM 14 had he not been injured?

What the fuck was he going to do?  Give up the title again so he could retire due to the injury?

I'm sure he would have loved to have done that. He'd done it so often in the past when it came time to drop a title, that, in some ways, it was almost like a drug. Not getting his fix would have really driven him nuts.

What was Vince's reaction to Shawn not wanting to job despite being badly injured, at the time they though he would be 9 months if I recall?  I can't imagine that Vinec wouldn't force him to do the job on the most important show in WWF history (if that show tanked then WWF never would have taken off like it did).

Vince was well aware of Shawn's problems with doing jobs. One of the reasons that Vince never forced the issue of Shawn putting over Owen Hart for the European Title was that he wanted to try to keep Shawn placated so that when it did come time to have Shawn do the job to Austin that Shawn wouldn't put up as much fuss as he normally would. After Montreal, Shawn did do a couple of jobs on house shows to Undertaker, but that was done purely as a way to show the rest of the locker room that Shawn would do jobs, when in reality, when it came to jobs that mattered, he was still unwilling.

No idea. Best guess is a program with Hunter over DX.

You think he would have accepted being pushed to the mid card?

I figured that they would have run Austin/HBK for a couple more months. Actually that might be the biggest What If? in WWF history. If Shawn hadn't been hurt would Rock, HHH, and/or Foley been moved into the spots they got with Shawn blocking the way?

You think he would have accepted being pushed to the mid card?

I figured that they would have run Austin/HBK for a couple more months. Actually that might be the biggest What If? in WWF history. If Shawn hadn't been hurt would Rock, HHH, and/or Foley been moved into the spots they got with Shawn blocking the way?

I think he'd have made sure it was given at least co-main event billing. Given Shawn's nature at the time, he would have made the Austin-McMahon program less special, because you have to think that Shawn would be doing his best to either leech off it in some way or bring it down. With how Vince felt about Austin, and Shawn's instability at the time, I think it likely that at some point Vince and Shawn would BUTT heads over something, and Vince would have sent Shawn home. At the very least, I think Shawn would have wound up walking out again.

Another thing from useless moron useless moron useless moron useless moron Scott Keith:

Was Mr. Perfect really supposed to win the 1990 Royal Rumble? (might be 1991)

If he's so useless stop making use of him by posting his tidbits.

Hey man.. I actually like useless moron Scott Keith's rants.. I just forgot to put '' '' around useless moron.

Is it true that Vince was thinking of running Hogan vs Zeus as the ME for WM 6?

I only read that one in the Apter mags in the months before WMVI. So, take it how you will.

-Ben

I gave up mentioning that, since no one pays attention anyway. People don't just outright shit themselves, unless they have something wrong with them.

I read in the Smackdown magazine once (I believe the one with JBL and Taker on the cover.., maybe around No Mercy?)... that Doug (or Danny) Basham had shit themselves during a match before..

Guest gilpdawg
I've never heard anything like that. Tenta pretty much knew he was signed to help bring Silva and Kurrgan along more (both were green as hell), since he was a veteran of the ring. Didn't work out too well.

I remember reading that in the Torch at the time.

Guest wildpegasus
Who in their right mind would book Yoko to go that long?  That is absolutely crazy.  The longest match he ever worked was probably 15 minutes and most that would have been nerve holds.

YIKES But if you have seen the Yoko-Luger summerslam 93 match it went about 18 mins and it wasnt that bad. I might have given it **, if It had a clean finish I may have gone closer to *** However their wm x match was absolute crap, save for when Luger slipped on the outside of the ring sliding into the guard rail and Vince trying to cover it up by saying something about Fuji

Bret wrestled Yokozuna in cage matches that went pretty long. The one at MSG is a great bout.

Guest Sturgis
I gave up mentioning that, since no one pays attention anyway. People don't just outright shit themselves, unless they have something wrong with them.

I read in the Smackdown magazine once (I believe the one with JBL and Taker on the cover.., maybe around No Mercy?)... that Doug (or Danny) Basham had shit themselves during a match before..

It was SummerSlam and it was Doug.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

Something like that almost makes me like Taker.

Yes, Bret Hart was on his way to WCW in 1992. But in his contract he has to give the WWF notice by a certain time in the year, or he's stuck. Obviously, he missed the date. This all from Dave MEltzer.

That is fucked up thinking about.

It was SummerSlam and it was Doug.

the bashams wrestled at summerslam? when?

That is fucked up thinking about.

I'm just imaging Bret Hart in WCW in the mid 90s. Probably get the Bulldog like push for a few months, then wrestle in obscurity for the rest of his WCW career.