TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Countdown to Infinite Crisis, six page preview

Guest PlatinumBoy

First Hawkeye, then Blue Beetle? I'm sure Hawkeye is coming back some time, but Blue Beetle I could see staying dead. Obviously because Hawkeye, while he's not a Spiderman or Wolverine level guy, is a very popular Marvel character and is one of the best Avengers, whereas Beetle... was the inspiration for Nite Owl II and got his ass kicked by Doomsday. I just hope they have J'onn pour some milk mixed with oreos over his grave, gangsta style.

However, the comic does sound cool. DC really is building up the whole, "Batman is going to explode" storyline it seems. Also, DC's big events seem more story oriented than Marvel's "Let's see who we kill this week!" big events.

Guest PlatinumBoy
You know, that's a HUGE spoiler to someone that's been trying to avoid them.

Shit, big time apology... early in the morning and I forgot the spoiler tags. Will be added now.

However, the comic does sound cool. DC really is building up the whole, "Batman is going to explode" storyline it seems. Also, DC's big events seem more story oriented than Marvel's "Let's see who we kill this week!" big events.

Batman SHOULD explode.....I mean, again, he was betrayed *intimately* by individuals he actually came to trust as friends (and Bats isn't one to make friends easily), and it's made him even more angry than usual. Loyal readers of "Outsiders" were treated to a glimpse into this, as Batman very cryptically told Nightwing that his mistake is that he shouldn't trust anybody - not even him. I mean it when I say that Bats deserves to do a little ass-kicking here.

And yes, DC's a great deal better with their big events. Just overall, DC is very much ahead of Marvel in the writing department, but especially so with their big events. Identity Crisis had a pretty lame ending, but it was six issues of great build-up to that ending. Contrast that with "Avengers Assembled", which was one big steaming pile of shit.

With all this hype for the preview, and the 4-5 things to follow, I really can't wait for Infinite Crisis. I haven't been this amped for a story in a long time.

Thanks, Platinum Boy. Don't think you spoiled it for me, though; I'd already figured it and someone confirmed it for me elsewhere. I was just looking out for everyone else. It looks as if I'm the only one who saw it.

Actually Matt, I did see it unintentionally.

However, seeing that spoiler now makes me want to actually read the damn comics cause I hate being told a part of the story yet not the whole thing.

Could spoil the biggest thign there is, and it only makes me even more want to read it.

So since I will be wanting to read this now:

Should I wait for each seperate release, or the tradeback (or whatever you people call it)?

Actually Matt, I did see it unintentionally.

However, seeing that spoiler now makes me want to actually read the damn comics cause I hate being told a part of the story yet not the whole thing.

Could spoil the biggest thign there is, and it only makes me even more want to read it.

So since I will be wanting to read this now:

Should I wait for each seperate release, or the tradeback (or whatever you people call it)?

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the individual issues or wait for the trades. DC doesn't reprint TPBs as quickly as Marvel, which kind of sucks. I'm definitely picking up the issues of the OMAC series, as I'm a fan of Rucka. The others I'll definitely wait for the TPBs. I'll propably wind up picking up the individual issues of Infinite Crisis once it starts.

Regardless what format you wind up reading the story in, just pick up a copy of Countdown...80 pages for $1. You can't beat that.

I'm in Canada, so its like probably $3 bucks. Which I don't have currently, hence I'm waiting in either case to buy. Was asking if I should buy seperate comics or the TPB.

Edited by Lightning Flik

With all this hype for the preview, and the 4-5 things to follow, I really can't wait for Infinite Crisis. I haven't been this amped for a story in a long time.

I read Countdown over lunch, and I can say with confidence that it's worth the $1 investment, even if you hate that they seemingly piss all over the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League. Simply put, it's a good story, and you'll enjoy it.

I read Countdown over lunch, and I can say with confidence that it's worth the $1 investment, even if you hate that they seemingly piss all over the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League. Simply put, it's a good story, and you'll enjoy it.

I'm thinking the editors of DC are like me, in that they detest the Giffen / DeMatteis / Maguire Justice League.

Seriously, I've been reading JLA Classified, and the last two issues have been just awful.

I'm thinking the editors of DC are like me, in that they detest the Giffen / DeMatteis / Maguire Justice League.

Seriously, I've been reading JLA Classified, and the last two issues have been just awful.

I dunno, I've enjoyed them. But I think you're right about the editors.

WOW!! After reading Countdown and the article in Wizard (about the whole thing), I'm already pacing back and forth waiting for the next part in the story.

It was announced in Wizard that the creative team for the 7 issue "Infinite Crisis" mini-series is going to be Geoff Johns and Phil Jimenez. It begins in October. According to the people involved in the project, Infinite Crisis is basically the worst day in the history of the DCU and how the heroes respond to it. Many heroes and villains will meet their demise. There might also be a connection to the original Crisis but Johns had a "no comment" to the question

They mentioned nothing about the plot other than the fact that everything leading up to and during the mini-series will revolve around the Trinity (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) Booster Gold will also play a huge role according to Johns, and if you read Countdown you know why.

But before that in JLA the league will have to deal with Batman. Johns, Aleen Heinberg(Young Avengers, O.C.) and Chris Batista will have a five issue run starting with issue #115. Batman will confront the League about the windwiping and not only will they have to deal with a pissed off Batman but an angry Martian Manhunter when that character finds out what happened. Also a mysterious figure is going around restoring the memories of the villains that were mindwipped by the League.

The spark that starts Infinite Crisis will happen in one of the four mini series. Wouldn't mention which one.

Many heroes and villains will meet their demise.

Why is DC killing off so many people lately?

But before that in JLA the league will have to deal with Batman. Johns, Aleen Heinberg(Young Avengers, O.C.) and Chris Batista will have a six issue run starting with issue #115. Batman will confront the League about the windwiping and not only will they have to deal with a pissed off Batman but an angry Martian Manhunter when that character finds out what happened.

It's good to see this is going to finally be addressed.

Also a mysterious figure is going around restoring the memories of the villains that were mindwipped by the League.

For those who read the Flash comics, one possible candidate is the Top. When the Top recently broke out of Iron Heights, it was revealed to Wally - through Green Arrow - that Top was one of the villains whom the league mindwiped back in the day. Barry Allen tried to turn Top into a superhero, but Top eventually went crazy due to the mental strain. Back in the present day, Top sort of taunts / threatens Wally with some cryptic comments about how he knows others who were mindwiped and how it wouldn't be difficult for him to undo the process.

I'm loving all of this. 2005 is going to be the year DC just stomps on Marvel, creatively, all year long.

Also a mysterious figure is going around restoring the memories of the villains that were mindwipped by the League.

I'm loving all of this. 2005 is going to be the year DC just stomps on Marvel, creatively, all year long.

Now that you mention the villain mindwiping, I'm gonna have to reread my TPB of Squadron Supreme. I'm sure we can make some comparisons there.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Countdown has me hyped for the rest of the year now, fantastic.

So who do you think is going to die, overall, this years?

I say Hawkman, Aguaman, and Martian Manhunter should/could die Their deaths would have an impact but at the same time, these are constantly stagnant/un=impressive characters

Captain Cold is gonna die, by Captan Boomerang Jr., I'm calling it. If not the kid, than Heatwave.

If they had balls, they'd kill Lois Lane and/or Tim Drake. Drake, to further the "Batman is all alone" stuff and Lane because, well, what happens when you take away the one thing that truly keeps Superman "human"? A pissed off, vengeful, know no rules Superman would be interesting

DC is clearly leading with better stories this year. They'll easily upset Marvel for sure. :headbang:

Jesus, I've never been a big DC fan, but this whole thing has me really interested to start picking up some DC stuff. I was already planning on starting to pick up Teen Titans/JLA?Outsiders, but now Im gonna have to start getting some other stuff too.

This year's gonna kick ass for comics.

Guest PlatinumBoy

I just read it and it's good. To comment on other stuff in this thread, I don't think they should kill Lois. They would only end up bringing her back, and Superman would change too much without her. Also, I like the fact that DC is killing people, makes the world seem dangerous. It always got me that in a world where people are throwing jumbo jets at each other, no one got killed.

I like how they said out of the million metahumans, only .5 or so are worthwhile. It always bugged me in X-Men how Morrision said Genosha had like 10,000,000 mutants or some insane number that should have been an unbeatable army able to take over the universe it seems.

I agree with Kid Notorious. I grew up more into Marvel, but now it seems I buy 4 DC comics for every Marvel one, when 14 years ago it was one DC for every 20 Marvels.

If they had balls, they'd kill Lois Lane and/or Tim Drake. Drake, to further the "Batman is all alone" stuff and Lane because, well, what happens when you take away the one thing that truly keeps Superman "human"? A pissed off, vengeful, know no rules Superman would be interesting

In that vein, a rumour that's been popping up is that Drake will become Blue Beetle III, which Chuck Dixon had pushed for a long, long time ago.

In that vein, a rumour that's been popping up is that Drake will become Blue Beetle III, which Chuck Dixon had pushed for a long, long time ago.

DC needs to learn how to create new characters again.

Wow. I finally got it, and I take back all of the bitching. This really proves that you can't complain about something until you see it all. One of the best comics I've read in a long time, and a fitting end for one of the few characters I can completely relate to. I love DC so much more than Marvel, and this just furthers it. They've finally sucked me in. I don't think I'm a casual fan anymore.

This doesn't change the fact that I think Jason Todd coming back is kinda dumb.

I don't think Tim is going to become Blue Beetle. I think he's not necessarily done yet, as they really went out of there way to develop his character. The Scarab that was last sean with Shazam or Booster will have to do something with his return.

Jesus, I've never been a big DC fan, but this whole thing has me really interested to start picking up some DC stuff. I was already planning on starting to pick up Teen Titans/JLA?Outsiders, but now Im gonna have to start getting some other stuff too.

This year's gonna kick ass for comics.

Hey - how I first got into reading / collecting comics was by reading some of the Marvel classics like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and Hulk, waaaaay back when I was a child, in the 80s. I still love those characters. But Marvel is too preoccupied with getting famous writers like Joss Whedon or Orson Scott Card to do their books and making sure every single comic property they own gets their own movie greenlighted, whereas DC seems mainly concerned with putting out great stories.

BTW, a quick question for those who know more about Infinite Crisis than I may - is Maxwell Lord supposed to be the big bad villain for this whole thing? Because given all of the buildup to Infinite Crisis (which, quite frankly, legitimately started building at least a couple YEARS ago), I'm afraid that they may have the villain pulling the strings wind up being Lex Luthor, which would just be very tired, IMO.

BTW, a quick question for those who know more about Infinite Crisis than I may - is Maxwell Lord supposed to be the big bad villain for this whole thing?  Because given all of the buildup to Infinite Crisis (which, quite frankly, legitimately started building at least a couple YEARS ago), I'm afraid that they may have the villain pulling the strings wind up being Lex Luthor, which would just be very tired, IMO.

I'm certain that Luthor and Maxwell Lord will play big roles, but I don't think that either will be the main villain. If I were I betting man I say that the villain of Infinite Crisis was introduced in the current Adam Strange mini-series, issues #4 and 6 (for now).

Lord Luciphage aka The Devourer aka The End Point

He is one of those Cosmic Beings. He somehow was cast out and stripped of his power and was found by a Thanagarian woman soldier, who is now secretly helping him regain his power. However to get his power back he needs Adam Strange to find the planet Rann, which has disappeared(This is the plot of the mini-series). Anyway this will ultimately set up the Rann/Thanagar War. He says that once he gets his powers back "Not only will i be whole again, I shall be made...all" "And the Universe will end by my hand."

Very interesting.

I've been reading the Strange mini, and I think there's a definite possibility you're right.