TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

The many forms of the F-U

So now he falls on his BUTT as he does it. Better than what he was doing just previously, but I think the Samoan powerbomb he was using was better. What do you folks think?

He needs something more believeable than a bodyslam...something of the "quick hit" variety, similar to the RKO or Stunner. You know, a move that can come out of nowhere and be devastating...I find it hard to believe that a guy his size can defeat big guys like Show and JBL with a simple bodyslam...

Guest Shadow

Yet Hogan could beat Andre, Earthquake, Bundy, Yokozuna etc etc with a Simple Boot and Legdrop. Or Rock could beat Austin, HHH, Foley, TBS etc etc with a Slam and/or elbow drop.

Once again the FU proves, if you build something up to be a credible finisher, the fans will buy it.

It doesn't have to be a Vertebreaker or Styles Clash or Canadian Destroyer to be a "credible" finisher. There's a reason alot of indy workers use flashy "impact" finishers, because its the only way most of them can stand out.

John Cena doesnt need that "quick impact" finisher. The fans buy it as a credible and effective finisher.

Why do a "impact" finisher when your safer and easier to pull off finisher is already credible with the fans. It wouldn't hurt to have variations (top rope FU's) but it's godly over and thats what they need.

Orton has the RKO and half the time the person taking it bumps it awkwardly or Orton just plain doesnt hit it right thus making it look weak at times.

The FU does stand out from the traditional Powerbomb finisher or the generic rehashed cutter type finisher.

Is it the best move? not a chance but it's over and its VERY effective in establishing itself as a "match ender".

I agree with Shadow. All Cena has to do is put the opponent on his shoulder, and the crowds fucking DIE. The F-U, as simple as it is, is 100% over with the crowds.

Back on topic though, lets look at the variations of the F-U he has used:

- dropping to his knees

- dropping to his BUTT

- standing F-U

- off the middle rope (I haven't seen him use this since he turned face in late '03)

good point on Hogan and Rock, but Cena is hardly as believable a Strong Man type as those two guys, especially Hogan...I can't imagine the leg of a 300 lbs. man crushing your head being less efective than a 235 lbs. man putting you on your back...the People's Elbow is pretty weak though, I agree with that...

Rocky has a nasty spinebuster though, gotta give him that

To add to the Rock Bottom's effectiveness, remember he does have his arm placed directly over the throat/chest area adding pressure on those spots in addition to the actual pain of the slam itself...Cena was simply doing a standup fireman's carry takedown...if he was doing a DVD, then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all...

Which was?

It's like that side suplex into a sitting rock bottom thing he does.

he sould just use a real DVD. WWE i'm sure deemed it too dangerous.

The Killswitch (Protobomb) is a nice trademark move, but with the FU he can stall and get the crowd going, knowing what's coming without him having to call it out. When he's on his shoulders, the crowd starts to cheer; with the Killswitch it's not a quick enough move like the RKO, and make it seem out of nowhere, and it doesn't give the crowd a chance to cheer for what's coming up anyway. The FU does.

I'm glad he's dropping down with the opponent. Knees or BUTT, it doesn't matter. Makes it look 5 times better.

The way they have the move animated on the Smackdown games looks pretty good. The character gets pretty good height, and he drops them more in front of him, and falls to his knees, making it look a lot more forceful.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
good point on Hogan and Rock, but Cena is hardly as believable a Strong Man type as those two guys, especially Hogan...I can't imagine the leg of a 300 lbs. man crushing your head being less efective than a 235 lbs. man putting you on your back...the People's Elbow is pretty weak though, I agree with that...

He's putting you on the ground...from six feet in the air.

and? that's not gonna stun a person enough to knock them out for a 3 count...have you ever been dropped on your back? Sure it hurts...does it knock you out? nah...now if you have a strong arm DRIVING you into the ground and the weight of that arm is crushing your chest/throat, I can believe THAT stunning you long enough...seriously, what is the difference between what he was doing and a regular bodyslam other than it starting behind his head?

A body slam isn't 6 feet above the ground.

I think we can all agree the move is weak, and does look better when he drives down with the opponent, landing on his knee or BUTT; but the fact is, it's arguably the most over move on the roster (easily one of the most over). Why change it? You'd be stupid to change his finisher right now.

Okay, let me rephrase my original post to say that he SHOULD HAVE been given a different finisher from the get-go...yes, the FU is over and will be his move forever...unfortunantly...

Guest BDC

Early on I had hoped the FU would be something that we hadn't seen in a long time like the TKO or something. Originally it looked like a weak DVD. Now, with Cena at least dropping with the move, it looks better. It's by no means great, but it's alright.

Personally, I'm a fan of having 2 finishers; one to hit on anyone and one that's more of a last resort thing or something, but WWE prefers to have spots so the Killswitch is a nice looking mid-match spot now instead of the finish it used to be. I suppose some would consider the Five Knuckle Shuffle to be his "other" big move.

He also had the throwback, but that's gone. He had like a five moves of doom: kick to the gut, throwback, pumping up his sneakers, five knuckle shuffle, and the FU. He's gone away from that though.

Yea I thought it looked better last night. The problem with the move is that he basically started it as a literal FU to Brock, whos long gone now. But since the people buy it, why change it up? However I fear this title push may be a year too late.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Oh wait, I didn't realize...

Black Lushus, I'm afraid I have to let you in on the secret about wrestling. It's, well... it's kinda scripted. That's why the FU works so well.

I'll answer any other questions for you over PM so no one else gets in on this underground information and exposes the biz.

Comedy doesn't work for you, stop while you're ahead...

I'm looking at these moves from the perception of a mark that thinks what he's seeing is real...nice try with the humor there pal, you had me smiling for half a second...

EDIT: you know and not even so much from a mark perspective. How many times have you or anyone else looked at a move and said "Okay, even if this were real, it's not gonna hurt a guy THIS bad!"?

...that's not gonna stun a person enough to knock them out for a 3 count...have you ever been dropped on your back?  Sure it hurts...does it knock you out?  nah...

I'm thinking that if this is ones train of thought than a lot of things aren't going to fly as a finisher. IMO under these standards powerbombs, powerslams, various "strike" type finishers like top rope dropkicks and leg drops etc would also have to be stricken as not good enough. I would guess that nothing short of Piledrivers, DDT and Submission type finishers would qualify as enough to get a 3 count.

Unfortunately finishers have always seemed to just be magical to me. Hogans legdrop always killed a guy but not Earthquake or Andre's? Orndorf's piledriver vs. everyone else? ;) It was always just understood that the guy doing his finisher knew exactly how and when to apply it perfectly to get the win. That Randy Savage knew exactly how to launch or lean his body to make an regular top rope elbow do "more damage" than anyone else.

I will readily admit though that I thought he could do something to help us suspend belief a little easier. :cheers:

Guest Shadow

Because It was his counter to Lesnar's F5. Not a literal counter but a metaphorical counter.

Didn't he cut a promo on Brock one night and say something on the lines of "Your move is the F-5.........mine is the F-U!" ?

Yeah, that's right.

He had a playing card on his head that night.

Your future WWE champion.