TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Oh please, we're nowhere near as bad as the Whedon supermarks and we talk about something that the majority of the population has a passing knowledge of.

That is true.

In the hierarchy of annoying fanboy groups, it goes something like:

Star Wars geeks -------------> Star Trek trekkies -------------> Whedon fanboys

With Star Wars geeks being on the low scale, largely just annoying, and Whedon fanboys being on the extreme scale, where you literally want to flay the flesh from their bones. At least you won't hear Star Wars geeks argue seriously that a musical is the greatest episode of television ever.

Oh please, we're nowhere near as bad as the Whedon supermarks and we talk about something that the majority of the population has a passing knowledge of.

Oh, TAG.

At least you won't hear Star Wars geeks argue seriously that a musical is the greatest episode of television ever.

I thought <insert episode of Firefly> was the greatest episode of television ever?

Dud of all time is Han v Greedo version II Give me version with Han squashing Greedo any day, I mean Han COMPLETELY NO SELLS Greedo's first shot in the second version!

Bobba Fett vs Sarlac on screen was a major letdown, but apparantly they pull a Benoit-Regal from the Pillman show in the books

Well, The Bounty Hunter Wars manages to stretch his escape from the Sarlaac for three books. It's boring and EU fans like me wish it never existed. Purists like Kotz are lucky they don't read crap like that.

Anyways, other books/RPGs/comics/whatever make Fett look like Wolverine when it comes to escaping - basically, people thought he was dead, but he got better.

Most underated has to be Luke vs. Rancor. Squash yes, but it builds how much stronger and smarter Luke is by this point, consider how long it took to dispatch a Wampa for crying out loud! He almost jobbed, but pulled the "out of no where" finish after taking forever to figure out how to set up the force spot!

BTW, TECHNICALLY you have to include the back-stage scrape with "Vader" and Luke in ESB on Dagobah, a squash by Luke but very psychological on the part of "The Force"

I gotta say, the lack of love for the Yoda/Tyranus fight is surprising. Sure it's a spotfest, but it's a spotfest between two older guys who can still go given the opportunity. I can imagine the booker (Lucas) rolling them out there and saying, "Just go out and give the crowds a show!" Shoot, the Raven and Richards/Pitbulls match was nothing but a brawl with some highspots, and a lot of people say it's one of the best matches in ECW history. You just gotta play to your workers' strengths.

Yeah the ROJ and ESB fights were classics, but I love the 3 Stages of Hell Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui Gon match. A bit of a switch with two faces going against one heel, but they play it out well with Maul managing to separate them and jobbing Qui Gon out early.

Hey starvenger, don't knock Boba escaping the Sarlacc. Sure it dragged on WAYYY too long (Fett's cool, but he's not the sort of a guy who can carry a fight) but the dude did something NO ONE, not even a Jedi, was able to do. He shot on the big guy and took him out with some sneaky heel tactics.

As for ROS, I'm hoping for the best. My discussion of the card is a bit scattershot. I'll play it safe and go into spoiler mode now. I'm reading the adaptation now, and Tyranus getting jobbed out to Anakin seems to be the right decision. Ty had delusions of rising out of the middlecard, and he just doesn't have the drawing power. Shoulda known his place.

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous - I really hope Grievous doesn't go Ultimate Warrior on us and get blown up 30 seconds in. I mean c'mon, he collects the lightsabers of Jedis he's killed! He oughta be able to pace himself. Plus, he's got his stable of MagnaDroids, droidekas, and destroyers on his side. That should count for something.

Anakin (w/ stable) vs Jedi Temple w/o Obi, Yoda, or Mace - C'mon. Glorified squash at best. Anything more than 1:30 is stretching it.

Mace Windu vs. Palpatine - Mace is a good guy and all, but his Force Power of "seeing" the Force isn't going to help him against Palpatine. Mace and the jobbers are going to get flattened, especially when Anakin finishes his heel turn.

Yoda vs. Palpatine (Steel Cage Senate Chamber fight) - Should be fun with two old guys who know all the tricks going at it with plenty of foriegn objects and room to manuver. Hopefully given time to develop.

MAIN EVENT: Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker (Inferno Match) - Gimmick match, but you have to justify Anakin going Kane on us and donning the mask. One of those matches where you basically know how it's going to end, but you want to see the show anyway to see how they're going to play it out. Give it 10-15 minutes if you can. Both guys can work a match, although Kenobi might have to carry Anakin through the middle where the still freshly turned Anakin may have trouble playing the dominant heel.

All in all, it has the potential to be a great show. Good undercard, a helluva lot of buildup, and a potential MOTY in the Main Event. Here's hoping Lucas doesn't screw it up. Given the approval it got from the ultimate Star Wars fanboy Kevin Smith however, I'm cautiously optomistic.

(Ignores Use Your Illusion's comments)

Anyone know about the House Show match between Darth Maul and Darth Vader? I think the House Show story was that Palpatine wanted to test Vader to make sure he still had it as a Sith, so he recreated Maul to fight him.

[Out of Topic Style: It happened in a comic, IIRC.]

the intention, UYI, was to be goofy...I hope my original post wasn't taken seriously by anyone...just being a Star Wars geek and thought it'd be a goofy, fun thing to do...

Yoda/Dooku, the first quick snippet between Qui-Gon and Maul in TPM, and maybe even Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon in TPM because either the villians aren't built up enough, or the reason why they are fighting just seems transparent at times.

Well, Maul wasn't meant to be built up. He was of the same archetype as the Ringwraiths in LOTR.

And you wait for the next editions of the OT...CG will be used to make Obi-Wan do flips and shit in the ANH duel.

OK, I'm back from a rather long vacation and what do I find? Yoda vs Dooku rated at *1/2? WTF??

Everytime that match happened the crowds went wild at all three Arenas I saw it happen. The fans popped huge, clapped, screamed and all that shit. MARKOUT CITY, I'm telling you. The little story about the older master taking on his cocky former student is enough to be compelling as it is, and all the spots were terrific until the unfortunate no-finish.

I demand a higher rating.

People went nuts when Foley fell off of the Cell, but that match blew. I mean, stuff can be entertaining and still not be "good." Same with Rock/Hogan.

Rock/Hogan was only "good" for those live, in that case it was fucking balls out.

Hence, for moi, it was balls out.

I expect the same from Episode 3. One of my customers works for a production company and saw an early screening of it and said it'll rock everything and it's basically the movie that Star Wars haters have feared.

The footage on the PS2 game is out of this world. But yeah, Kotz theory applies within that context too.

General Grievous is forty kinds of fucking awesome. He's like a 50 year old, chain-smoking crack whore trained in the deadly arts and packing four light-saber weilding arms. THE BEST KIND OF CRACK WHORE.

UYI

If you guys haven't, you should check out some of the new Clone Wars cartoons. Grevious kicks some motherfucking ASS in those.

4 of them came on TV the other day here, so we got to see quite a fair bit of Grevious kicking ass.

This wrestling take on Star Wars is way too much gay for me to handle.

Dude, it's a WRESTLING message board...

Funny how often people forget that. Not uncommon amongst fans who seem to want people not to think they're fans. Hell, the board I used to go to, you got flamed on sight for even mentioning wrestling outside of the Wrestling folder.