TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Hebner screws Hebner

Earl Hebner fired by WWE

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

Earl Hebner, the most well known referee in U.S. pro wrestling, was fired earlier today by WWE, allegedly for selling merchandise without authorization.

Reports that Dave Hebner was fired are said to be incorrect at the moment, although he was alleged to be involved and has been disciplined.

Earl Hebner has been with the company since 1988 when he played the role of heel Dave Hebner in the Andre the Giant title win over Hulk Hogan in Indianapolis. He's easily the most famous referee in pro wrestling history, stemming from his officiating the 1997 Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels match in Montreal where he ordered the bell rung on Hart. He was belived to have been the highest paid referee in the history of pro wrestling since that time as a reward for choosing to do what the company asked of him after promising not to do so to Hart, one of his best friends in the company.

He had refereed most main events on PPV for the past decade.

My friend is gonna die when I show him this...

I had to read that twice, and that's the last guy that I thought would be fired this year.

Guest Brian

It's going to be weird not seeing him, but he was a shitty ref and shitty person by all accounts.

Guest news_gimmick
do you think TNA will try to pick him up?

Yes because he would make such an incredible impact and raise TNA refereeing to new heights.

Guest *KNK*
It's going to be weird not seeing him, but he was a shitty ref and shitty person by all accounts.

Very true. He always seemed miserable.

That would explain why Earl and Bret were such good friends before...uh you know.

Very true. He always seemed miserable.

That would explain why Earl and Bret were such good friends before...uh you know.

What happened? Enlighten me?*

*Don't

Guest TheGreatWesuke

You'd have to think he'd be nearing retirement very soon anyway. I think what this mostly does is wreck his chances of a Hall of Fame induction for the next few years. :D

Fired for selling merchandies without permission?

There has to be more to it than that.

And yes, he was a terrible referee. His counting always killed the momentum early in the match.

I'm pretty sure you answered the question from the first part of your post in the second part of your post.

I still remember Axxess before WM X-7 here in Houston. Got both Hebners to sign my program. I even asked Earl if he was going to take a bump in the main event. He actually laughed and said, "We'll see." Didn't seem miserable to me. He was kinda just standing in the middle of their travelling Hall of Fame display looking a little bit lost.

Well, they have a ref spot open. I vote for either Danny Davis or Fonzie.

Guest TheGreatWesuke
If he's not dead or anything, Tommy Young would be a guy I would like to see.

Everytime I watch a tape with Tommy Young reffing I'm blown away by how good he is. I'm pretty sure a lot of guys have patterned themselves after him. Pretty sure he got injured in a match and that's what cut his career short.

Guest Evolution

Not gonna miss Hebner by any stretch of the imagination, as I concur with the many assertions in this thread of him being a bad referee. Time to call up Bryce Remsberg.