TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Poll what's your internet connection?

Guest Some Guy

56K I think.  It's OK unless there are 140 people on the site at once like there was tonight.

Guest Flyboy
56K, and I'm hating every second of it.

You don't know what pain is...

31.2K... I hate life.  -_-

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Bah.  I got you beat.  14.4k on a 56k modem, its so slow that I can watch paint dry and linoleum curl while a single page loads up.

Guest Youth N Asia

56 K...I'm on at 53,200 right now...it's the fastest I've ever been on at...I was on a 28.8 for a couple of years, that was brutal

26k, and loving it. Have you ever played an online game with 26k? Its breathtaking. I have actually mastered my lag so that I am indestructable. It is not possible to hit me cause one minute I'm there... the next minute I'm right behind you, killing you. Its great! It also spawned two of my many catchphrases "26k All The Way!!!" and "Fear My Lag!!!"

Guest redbaron51

Cable...

I use to have a 14.4K modem...that was fucking fast

I remember back in the motherfucking day, I had my 486 and 14.4 was the shit.  I'd brag to people at school about how fast shit was.  But it really got old about halfway through 1998 :( .  I think I would shoot myself if I didn;t have my cable modem now.  I was fortunate enough to have a computer very very young, any old schoolers out there remember the 2.6 modem going on bbs's and shit.  Ah the good old days, NOT

--Rob

Guest lomasmoney

56k at home t1 at school. My family seems to think that comcast is the devil

Guest Your Olympic Hero1

For those of you with Windows and 56k, try this tweak - It works WONDERS (connect at 921200 bps!):

If you have a newer external 56K analog or ISDN modem, you may be able to take advantage of a little extra speed boost. Modern external analog modems have their own CPU built-in, which runs usually at 25 MHz (higher than an internal modem's CPU, rated at 12-20 MHz). Good examples are the 3COM/US Robotics Sportster and Courier models. Such modems have the capability of internal data transfers (COMmunication port to modem) up to 230400 bps, or even higher (maximum is 921200 bps). This tweak applies also to 56K/ISDN modems connected to internal ISA (PnP) serial I/O add-on cards equiped with faster UARTs: 16650 or 16750, designed to transfer data between the COM port and the modem up to 921200 bps. Wow! This makes regular ISDN look like a slow poke. :) If you wanna get one of these high speeed UART I/O cards, check out Pacific Commware's TurboExpress Port 920 <http://www.turbocom.com/texport.html>.

But this canNOT be usually achieved without a Registry tweak, because the maximum transfer speed (default) allowed by Windows 9x is 115200 bps, enabled from: Control Panel -> Modems -> Your Modem Name -> Properties -> General tab -> Maximum speed -> 115200 -> OK -> OK.

To enable and use this higher speed, run Regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Modem\0000 Note that your modem might be installed under the 0001, 0002 etc keys, not necessarily under 0000. Highlight the appropriate one.

In the right hand pane double-click the "Properties" Binary value. You'll notice that the 7th up to the 10th digits on the 4th row (the one that begins with 0018) show C2 01 (or 84 03), which corresponds to a maximum connection speed of 115200 (or lower) bps. Highlight and replace them with 10 0E to bump it up to 921200. Geek speak: replace the 24th up to the 27th byte (0x18h) as shown above. Do NOT change anything else there! Click OK when done. For convenience you can use the REG file below to do this without having to alter the Binary value. Just make sure the modem key matches the one in your Registry (replace 0000 with 0001 or 0002 etc if necessary):

-----Begin cut & paste here-----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Modem\0000]

"Properties"=hex:80,01,00,00,ff,00,00,00,ff,00,00,00,07,00,00,00,0f,00,00,00,\

77,07,00,00,00,10,0e,00,00,fa,00,00

------End cut & paste here------

Paste these lines into Notepad (the empty line at the end is necessary!) and save the file as 921200.REG. Then (double)-click on it in Explorer or File Manager to merge it into your Registry. Now if you open Control Panel -> Modems... and follow the same steps above, you can see that 3 new settings are available: 230400, 460800 and 921600. Reset your modem's "Maximum speed" to one of these new values (some experimenting might be necessary depending on your hardware specs), save your changes, and finally, connect to the Internet as usual. I'm sure you'll notice the speed boost. :) CAUTION: If you try this on slower internal 56K modems, your connection may lock up, and/or experience various errors while using any communications apps or the Internet, which may also occur if your external modem doesn't have a fast CPU (25 MHz or above). If that is the case, reset the "Maximum speed" (see above)

Guest Flyboy
56K, and I'm hating every second of it.

I would like to update... and say.. that I have cable, now!

:D

Guest FakeRazor

Cable. I've had it for years. Just upgraded to a faster cable modem today, actually. WOOO!

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

Used to have 56k modem, and I had saw no problem. But the minute I upgraded, I realised how slw 56k was. I'm on 128k cable modem now, and I could upgrade to 512k, but I'm happy enough with the speed I have compared to the increase I would have to pay if I went with the upgrade.

Guest Tyler McClelland

My 56k runs like a 28.8.

Ph33r me in every online game as I lag you to death. :)