TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

The Ultimate Fighter 2

How great was this show? I only saw the first two fights and most people are talking about how it's the best UFC show ever. I just find that hard to believe with only four fights, not matter how good they are. Is it better than UFC 52 or 49? How good was Imes' fight and Diego's fight?

How great was this show? I only saw the first two fights and most people are talking about how it's the best UFC show ever. I just find that hard to believe with only four fights, not matter how good they are. Is it better than UFC 52 or 49? How good was Imes' fight and Diego's fight?

I'd actually say that the fights got better as the night went on. Evans/Imes was sloppy at times - unsurprising considering the lack of experience for both fighters - but it was the type of entertaining fight that keeps you watching and not snoozing like most of the previous HW fights on TUF2.

I thought Sanchez/Diaz was a fast paced ground war that made Stevenson/Cummo look like slow motion in comparison. And as Sass noted, both these guys are young and have "a strong dislike for" each other so we can probably look forward to a trilogy of matches.

Fuck, I'm watching Brad/Reshad and fuck, this is a balls out great match. Brad getting knocked down in the 3rd round, getting back up, and going RIGHT AT Reshad was fucking awesome. Its almost a shame there had to be a Griffin/Bonnar, because if you added the weight that TUFF1 had (first ever live ufc show on national television) to this (this was the 4th live show in about 7 months), those two guys would have been huge. I mean, you can't take away from the personalities both Forrest and Stephan have, but the action in this was just as good as Bonnar/Griffin, I think.

This special was all kinds of greatness. It was just mindblowingly great, with each fight getting better and better than the one before it. Sanchez was a demon on the mat and he was on fire. This whole event should be a huge shot in the arm for UFC, and hopefully will bring in a slew of new fans.

Guest Brian

You know, I'm not even expecting much of a rating, because of just how the season went. If it does as well as last season's finale, it should be considered a success. 1.5 should be the expectation, even with a great night of fights. However, this should be big for the converts, as those who have been tagging along the reality show should be sold after this and Griffin/Bonnar.

I work in Mineola, which is the town next to New Hyde Park. Luke's trainer comes in everyday for coffee and whatnot. So anyway, he came in tonight, I asked him how was Vegas and all that jazz. He thinks Luke had round 2 and 3, but whatever. Anyway, he said Luke got a contract and they all had fun in Vegas.

I was thinkin about the whole contract thing and why they wouldn't give either Luke or Imes another 6 figure contract. Then it occured to be that if they did, they would have to be paying Forrest, Stephan, Brad, Luke, Joe, Diego, and Reshad, let's say, 40,000 per fight. UFC is pretty frugal when it comes to paying fighters nowadays, so I can see why they wouldn't.

Since someone mentioned the rules in regards to Sanchez/Diaz, I have to ask a question.

Maybe its just me, but doesn't luke fight awfully illegal at times? Unless I am mistaken, aren't up kicks, spiking elbows and throat strikes illegal?

Guest Brian

Upkicks are illegal if the opponent has a knee down. There's a Lindland fight I'm thinking of where he gets up-kicked twice and his opponent gets disqualified. I'd have to watch the fight again for the spiked elbows and throat strikes, so I'm unsure of those.

Here are some more stats about the numbers:

Other ratings highlights include the following:

-- Triple digit gains in key male demos and viewership versus year ago --

3.7/956,000 Men 18-34 up +357%; 2.7/1,401,000 Men 18-49 up +303%; and

2,640,000 million viewers up +264% (all versus year ago -- Spike TV

aired WWE Velocity and Police Videos).

-- Telecast peaked at 3.3 million viewers from 10:45-11:00pm during

Rashad Evans/Brad Imes heavyweight bout.

-- Second most-watched original series in network history (finale of The

Joe Schmo Show -- 3.4 million viewers)

-- Most watched Saturday in Spike TV history -- 1,042,000 average

audience (9:00am-3:00am)

-- Outdrew Showtime's live IBF Super-Middleweight title fight featuring

Jeff Lacy vs. Scott Pemberton in Men 18-34 by an incredibly staggering

956,000 to 9,000 and equally startling in Men 18-24 with 430,000 to

1,000 for Showtime.

TUF 2 Finale ratings article

Guest Miss Indy Queen
Did you hear that Brad Imes mother, Carolyn, died on Sunday?

This was posted on ufc.tv about Brad Imes' Mother:

11/06/2005

A Loss in The Family

Zuffa sends its sincerest condolences to Ultimate Fighter finalist Brad Imes on the loss of his mother, Carolyn Elizabeth Imes, who passed away suddenly from a heart attack on Sunday, November 6th in Las Vegas. She was 56. Carolyn, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, was in attendance for Brad's courageous effort against Rashad Evans on Saturday night, and our thoughts and prayers are with Brad and the entire Imes family during this difficult time...

Guest Reservoir_Kitty

Shit, how sad for Brad :( That sucks, poor guy. He's really kinda grown on me since the start of the show and whatnot, especially after the finale. He showed a lot of class after his fight with Rashad, and I like that sort of thing.

On a lighter note: In the pic with Franklin, Brad is wearing an Evil Dead tshirt. <3

I also have to express my happiness at Luke getting a contract. I was really pulling for him to win at the finale, and I was pretty bummed when Joe got the contract.

I love Luke. :ph34r:

That's a shame that Imes' mom passed like that. I imagine he must be feeling pretty crummy after losing his match and then losing his mom. My condolences.

Guest Brian

I've come to realize that the best part of the show was Luke pulling out of the armbar and just walking away. Walk away Young Skywalker. BADASS~!

That's a shame that Imes' mom passed like that.  I imagine he must be feeling pretty crummy after losing his match and then losing his mom.  My condolences.

The silver lining is that she got to see her son live his dream before she passed on so hopefully Brad can take some comfort in that.