TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angel_Grace_Blue

An open letter

You know who you are, and if not, then I'm going to tell you.

Here's the thing, up until Spike TV played an episode of TNA Impact or whatever, a few weeks ago, I'd never seen a shred of non-WWE/F/WCW wrestling (With the exception of a tiny bit of ECW that doesn't amount to anything). As for non-US stuff, Mayor McCheese had some compilation videos, highlights basically, so that's it for Japanese, Mexican, etc.

What's the point you may be asking?

The point is this: I don't know what the fuck any of your damn moves are, you fucking bastards. If you'll look at Jimmy the Doom's stats, I've tried as best I can to explain each non-standard move, barring the rares, but they're only a joke that I stole from the Seventh Sanctum Wrestling Move Generator (If I really cared, I'd have a link to it right here), just to fuck with the people that only have shit like "Steve's Super Cool Death Bomb - It's Jeff Smithson's Tubular Cabbage in XMQWF". I swear, I remember earlier during the summer, I was booked against Landon, and Christ on a dolphin, I didn't know what half his moves were. So, for the sake of the idiots out there (Mostly myself), try to explain what your moves are.

Now, yes, I could have simply PMed the people with moves I don't understand, but I figure this (Or a thread made in reply to this one) could be a place where people ask other people what the fuck a triple ocelot liver driver is, among other things. It reminds me of the list we used to have where each person's finisher(s) would be listed, so that new folk (Or folk tweaking stats) wouldn't steal a finisher, or use the world champion's finisher as a signature move. If anyone feels like it, they can make such a list, or whatever.

Finally, the subject of the Big Book of Wrestling Moves (Once more, if cared enough, link would be provided) comes up. It's pretty handy, for some stuff. However, it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while, so there are some things missing, and also, you could take a simple move, add a twist or whatever, and then just say it's that guy's finisher in that fed in Belgium.

Hmm. I've ranted enough, I think. If anyone has anything else to add, or, as I said, moves to question, go right ahead.

Edit: Let me also add that while I did mention seeing TNA or whatever, I rarely watch wrestling any more these days. Hell, up until maybe a month ago, I had no clue as to what an FU was.

First up - Haffy has a Signature move with a name but no description. I'd like to put out a quick 'WTF'?

*Raises hand* I have to agree - I don't even have a CLUE what an STO is - how its executed or what

I mean is it a move a 220 pound guy can do on a near 300 pound guy?

don't assume people know your moveset (Hell I explained the Side Russian leg sweep - well tried to)

I know I tried to explain most of the moves on my stats that weren't readily obvious (For example, I did assume everyone knows what a torture rack is)

Most of Wards' moves are fairly standard, and his few unique to him moves I wrote out...

If there's something on my stats I didn't explain properly, let me know I'll be glad to try and explain it to the best of my ability. :)

An STO (Swift Take-Over) is basically an O-Soto-Gari (Major Outer Reaping), if you know any Judo... if not, imagine you've set the opponent up for Chris Kanyon's Flatliner (facing them, right arm across their chest for a Rock Bottom), but instead of falling backwards you kick your right leg out, then sweep it back and take their right leg out as you do, driving them down onto their back. All done very quick, as the name implies.

For Blank (Unless I'm retardulated and don't know what an STO is myself):

The two wrestlers stand in front, but slightly to the side of each other, almost like a Rock Bottom (Unless of course someone doesn't know what that is...). Attacker puts his near arm across the chest of the victim and puts his near leg behind the victim's near leg. The attacker then sweeps the victim's leg out while pushing forward, sending the victim to the mat. It's mostly a leverage type move (Or, it seems that way to me). Also, I suppose it doesn't have to be with an arm across the chest. Any way/where to push the victim's upperbody/torso should work.

Edit: God damn you, Toxxic.

I mean, huzzah for team workings or whatever the hell!

Guest BillFillmaff

Bill Fillmaff has the most dangerous and spectacular maneuvers ever known. In fact, I dare say that the Bad Beat is the greatest move ever.

Why haven't you booked Bill Fillmaff?!

Because you don't have any stats up yet, Bill.

Also, your Secret System really helped last night. I was playing some Texas Hold 'Em against my dad, who has a mustache, and he bluffed a lot, just like you said! People with facial hair really do bluff more than those without.

See now it makes sense - now I'll actually be able to use that move in a match

you guys are life savers

well maybe not "life" - but you saved me having to search for the description on the net and that's worth something too.

(and was into Judo from I was 7 til I was 12 - so that actually made sense, even if it's been quite a while)

Now, can someone explain what this 'punch' is.  Does it involve pouring tasty liquid on a person?

No, but you're close. It's actually very simple.

1) Take your fingers, excluding your thumb, and fold them in so that the points touch your palm.

2) NOW, take your thumb and fold it over so that it presses against your smaller knuckles, the ones closest to the nail.

We technical marvels call that a "fist". Then, hit the opponent with the fist. Congratulations, you just executed a punch! Five-star classics are sure to follow.

And here I thought everyone knew what an STO was. It's not like it's one of those Inverted Miracle Ecstasy Driver Bomb Death '97 II moves.

This place has an occasional wrestling match and a large number of images and videos of assorted moves. It isn't in order and has no search function, but a Google search of the site works well enough.

And here I thought everyone knew what an STO was. It's not like it's one of those Inverted Miracle Ecstasy Driver Bomb Death '97 II moves.
Well since all I ever see it referred to is as "the STO" I don't have a clue

I've read show recaps where its' been used but never seen a show where anyone has executed it

I didn't even have a clue what STO stood for

I mean "Spinning Tornado orifice"? "Stupid Tango Origami"??

and then it's just a really pretencious name for a rather basic move - who knew? (Other than Mike and you and... well loads of people)

A correction. It doesn't really stand for Swift Take Over as Toxxic said. That's just a fitting name that some began using later.

For a bit of history, Naoya Ogawa (Olympic medalist in Judo, who later turned to Japanese wrestling and MMA) more or less introduced it into wrestling as one of his favorite moves. As such, it was then named the more widely known Space Tornado Ogawa, and the acronym has stuck ever since.

I suppose Space Tornado Ogawa and by proxy STO is a bit pretentious, if only due to being named after someone, but people just like acronyms. STO as a name is easier to remember, more identifiable and catchier than something like o soto gari. Either way, we'd still have to explain the move all the same.

I always tried describing my moves as best I could, which reminds me that for the longest time I had an IRC quote of Dace describing the Emerald Fusion as my description for the move.

Hey, it worked.

Here is one - with my next match in mind

the Air Raid Crash? - that's all the description there, well if you discount comments on it being rarer than a box of dougnut holes

Yes it's rare

so rare that I'll never use it

cause well

WHAT IS IT? I can't even fake it cause I have no clue if it's off the top rope or a driver or a slam type of more or what

Not that I was planning on using it in THIS match - but I sat there and scratched my head

figured someone may clue me in

Two questions from me:

Firstly, Mags, what's a sambo suplex?

And secondly, this is for everyone, can someone explain all eighty billion shining moves out there? Shining pants, shining peach, shining carpenter, shining llama. Too many of them, damn it.

Guest clockworkraven
Two questions from me:

Firstly, Mags, what's a sambo suplex?

Think Rock Bottom, but while the opponent's in the air, the wrestler does a 180-turn and slams the opponent on his back.

Looking forward to seeing if I'm completely wrong.

clockwork got it.

And generally, anything "shining" in wrestling involves stepping up on their outstretched knee to deliver the move.

Imagine if someone were proposing to someone else.

Now imagine if someone ran up, stepped onto the proposer's knee, and kneed them in the face. That's the US Indy/Landon Shining Wizard.

It's times like this when Dace comes in handy, since I'm not entirely sure. Now, other variations. All of this is assumed, according to the descriptions I've read.

JJ already covered the Shining Wizard. The Shining Black is a step-up Yakuza Kick (which for the life of me, I can't fathom how that's possible). The Shining Apprentice is a step-up Enziguiri.

And because I want to get it out of the way for possible future opponents, and want to confuse people...

That description of the Sambo is correct, and is often what you see in video games, dating back to the N64, but there's another version out there... the uranage suplex.

Frankly, I don't even know where they got sambo for the name. Unless they somehow figured that these throws originate from judo (though the judo throw and Hiroshi Hase's Urange differ a bit) and sambo is a cousin of judo, so let's just call it a sambo suplex. As a result of all this, the pivot slam to the side version is often confused with the other.

With the uranage, the unfortunate victim is thrown overhead, landing behind the attacker who falls backward, in addition to incorporating the 180 pivot.

I'm reviving the "what he heck is this move" thread cause well I'm just an uneducated boob who wouldn't know 90% of the indy move names and well 95% of the names for moves used in Japan

so like the Demonstar Driver being a "J-Driller" and all that

Doesn't mean ANYTHING to me and as a match writer it's kinda a good idea to know what the moves are, how they're executed and from what position.

So I'll ask

What the heck is the Demonstar Driver? It's been promoted as like the ultimate killer move and such

so what is it?

(More to come I'm sure)

The Demonstar is a double-underhook knee-drop piledriver. (That is, you hold the opponent upside down in butterfly-suplex position, then drop to your knees.) It's the SWF's ultimate death move because it's been built that way.