TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

'Friday the 13th' Alums Celebrate 25 Years

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/fri1325ap.html

'Friday the 13th' Alums Celebrate 25 Years

Monday October 24 12:01 AM ET

Cover art for the new book, 'Crystal Lake Memories,' by Peter M. Bracke. Buy it at Yahoo! Shopping

By MICHAEL CIDONI Associated Press Writer

Happy 25th birthday, Jason. Alumni of the long-running "Friday the 13th" horror-flick series gathered at Universal Studios for closing night of the ScreamFest Horror Film Festival and a 25th-anniversary party celebrating all things Jason Voorhees that hockey mask-wearing, machete-wielding, mass-murdering central character of the 11 low-budget films.

"It's 25 years later, and it's wonderful," said series producer Sean S. Cunningham.

The Saturday night gathering also marked the unveiling of the sort of item usually reserved for a higher-brow Hollywood party: a glossy, lavishly illustrated, hardcover coffee-table book, "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th," by entertainment reporter Peter M. Bracke.

With a young actress on his arm screaming, of course an actor in a Jason costume was treated to "Happy Birthday" sung by many of the performers who'd played Jason's victims.

After being asked to cut the first piece of his birthday cake, "Jason" whipped out his machete and hacked it to pieces, to the delight of dozens of cheering fans.

As alumni signed copies of Bracke's book, they reminisced about their work on the series.

"I was Jason's first victim," bubbled actress Bobbi Morgan, who appeared in the 1980 original "Friday the 13th," in which Camp Crystal Lake served as the setting for a slew of murders. "(I) had to jump out of the jeep, and run into the woods where it would be safe. And I ran, and (Jason) finally got me and he slit my throat. He got me! I never even made it to the camp."

Actress Diana Barrows appeared in "Friday the 13th VII: The New Blood" 17 years ago, and said she still gets fan response from all over the globe.

"I was in Poland two weeks ago, and I met these kids that love 'Friday the 13th,' and asked me for autographs," she said. "Fan mail from Japan. Fan mail from Australia. (I'm amazed by) the fact that it's so international."

ScreamFest's Rudy Scalese observed: "We love to hate Jason because he's one of those characters that everyone can connect with. In the beginning, at least, he was truly scary. But then he sort of became a little bit more of an icon people can cheer and root for, the same way you root for villains in one of the James Bond movies, or you clap for villains in one of those 'Fantastic Four' movies. Same thing."

And it seems Jason isn't done killing yet.

"Well, you know, it's no surprise they're actually planning another film," revealed author Bracke. "It's going to be another team-up film, with Freddy (Krueger of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series) vs. Jason vs. Michael Myers (of the "Halloween" films), which makes sense. And then they're talking about remaking the first movie and starting all over again ...

"They'll just keep makin' them. Why stop at 25 years?"

Jason wasn't even the killer in the first one...

hey, am I dreaming or was there a scene where a girl is on a raft naked, goes out into the middle of the lake and gets wacked by Jason...then later, her boyfriend swims out there thinking he's gonna get some, sees her dead and freaks out, rapidly swimming back to the docks, only to get something shoved into his nuts and hoisted up into the air? Which one was that?

There's so many loopholes in the Jason contuinity line, its not even funny. I wish Cunningham or somebody else in charge would take the time to explain or sort it out.

I dunno, I always felt the Jason movies were all really boring, I could never get into that series. At least the Freddy Krueger movies, even the ones that were really bad, had at least some sort of redeeming value, be it humor, or violence, or soemthing.

"Well, you know, it's no surprise they're actually planning another film," revealed author Bracke. "It's going to be another team-up film, with Freddy (Krueger of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series) vs. Jason vs. Michael Myers (of the "Halloween" films), which makes sense. And then they're talking about remaking the first movie and starting all over again ...

I'm sorry, but that part needs to be in bold! :D

Ugh, will they fucking stop with thoughts of remaking EVERY horror franchise? I've heard rumblings as well of doing a Halloween remake, which is so fucked up on so many levels I could scream. I'm all for prequals or something, but direct remakes are getting REALLY old, especially on films that dont need it.

So the latest rumor is a Myers v. Jason v. Freddy, eh?

Ugh, will they fucking stop with thoughts of remaking EVERY horror franchise? I've heard rumblings as well of doing a Halloween remake, which is so fucked up on so many levels I could scream. I'm all for prequals or something, but direct remakes are getting REALLY old, especially on films that dont need it.

Another rumor hitting the rounds is of a "Creepshow" remake.

Another rumor hitting the rounds is of a "Creepshow" remake.

It's not a rumor, it's on. And all the stories will be connecting, not through a comic but just...because. I still want my "Krueger" movie, the ultimate in serial killer thriller action. Robert England murdering young children and just being creepy is GOLD and it'll put an end to "ha ha, he's funny" Freddy.

Guest JMA
Loopholes? So? It's a fucking slasher franchise. It's not supposed to make sense.

Actually, the first film with a true loophole was #6, but hey...

Indeed. Jason didn't really "die" until Tommy Jarvis went apeshit on his head with a machete. Then he was brought back by lightning and everything goes from there. Then they made it so that he DID die as a child--but none of this matters much in the long run. Still, it would be cool if someone devoted enough did work out all of these things.

Actually, a remake of the original Friday the 13th might not be bad. They need to stay the hell away from Halloween, though.

Well I am dressing up as Jason Voorhees for the Halloween party me and my girlfriend are hosting this year, and all the horror fanatics from TSM are invited........if you dress up of course.

Of all the remakes, only "The Hills have eyes" really sounds like it has a chance to be good. It may end up going south in a hurry but Ted Levine is a good actor. Plus I'm a big fan of Billy Drago since Brisco County Jr.

The only remake I'm the least interested in seeing is the remake of The Evil Dead that's rumored, and that's only because Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell won't let it happen unless they produce it and it turns out GOOD.

The only remake I'm the least interested in seeing is the remake of The Evil Dead that's rumored, and that's only because Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell won't let it happen unless they produce it and it turns out GOOD.

Best part about that: Ash isn't being touched. Sam and Bruce said, "no, no Ash" to the deal. I love that.

Since this is about Friday the 13th, I need to ask this question regarding Part IV

SPOILERS AHEAD -- U'VE BEEN WARNED

The only versions of this movie I've seen has been edited, so please keep that in mind, but whatever happens to that chick's and kid's mom? The last I see of her in the edited movie looking for that dog, and then she looks up and goes "eek." You don't see, or hear from her again. I assume Jason got her, but how did he kill her, and do her kids even show concern for her missing?...

I'm sorry, but that part needs to be in bold! :D

I really like the "which makes sense" part of this quote.

was that also the one where Jason posts Crispin Glover up in the middle of a doorway by his hands and feet only to rip him down later during a chase scene?

yep

Since this is about Friday the 13th, I need to ask this question regarding Part IV

SPOILERS AHEAD -- U'VE BEEN WARNED

The only versions of this movie I've seen has been edited, so please keep that in mind, but whatever happens to that chick's and kid's mom? The last I see of her in the edited movie looking for that dog, and then she looks up and goes "eek." You don't see, or hear from her again. I assume Jason got her, but how did he kill her, and do her kids even show concern for her missing?...

yeah Jason got her, off screen i think

So Ash won't be IN the remake?  Horrible.

I prefer to say "smart." It's going to make those that are doing the remake focus on the PLOT and not the STAR. Much more likely to make a quality movie that way, you know? Plus, Bruce and Sam created an icon with the character of Ash, so what if the remake sucks, and thus lessens Ash's popularity? Then they'd be kicking themselves in the head.

If I made a classic movie and a character reached iconic status, I'd never want them touched by ANYBODY but myself.