TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

How I Met Your Mother

At some point next season, they'd better do something to make it clear who the "One" is, or I'm going to give up. As TTS said, spending a whole year around Ted and Robin, when she isn't the "One", is pointless. It didn't lead to anything and felt like a complete waste of time. I like this show, but when they spend a season with an ultimately pointless storyline, it's hard to care.

I think the creators felt they had to pay off Season 1's storyline of Ted chasing Robin, to satiate anyone who might have been at least curious about that pairing, and then showing why it wouldn't/didn't work as opposed to keeping them apart and then introducing the eventual mother and leave the fans wondering, "Well what if... Ted got Robin instead?"

But wasting a whole season on a storyline that has no obvious part to play whatsoever in what is meant to be the premise the series is built around? Barney is the only thing keeping me interested in this show, but that won't be enough if they don't do something with the "One" next season.

They didn't "waste" a season with the storyline. It was stated from the beginning that Ted and Robin weren't meant to be, but were they just supposed to end season 1 like they did and start season 2 with Older Ted saying "I had finally gotten Robin, but we broke up two months later and she took a job in England"? This is just an evolution of the Ted character: Season 1 was him steadfast in finding "the One" no matter what it took before ending up with the woman he was pining after, Season 2 was Ted finding out that Robin is just not the woman for him and Season 3 will be him back on the search, but he will be a lot more mellow about it than he was in the first season.

I wonder if Cobie Smulders is coming back? It'd make sense that Robin wouldn't be around to start next season.

Edited by KingPK

But they didn't really do much with the relationship to show WHY Ted and Robin didn't work. I can remember the episode where Robin's sister comes to visit and they stumble into saying "I love you," and there was the episode where they were going to move in together (but backed out at the last minute) and not a whole lot else. The rest of the season pretty much floated along aimlessly for those two.

I remember an interview with the writers of the show after the season 1 finale, where they said the premise of season 2 would be, "What happens AFTER 'happily ever after?' " Apparently, the answer is, "Not much."

Hard to get attached to or care about a storyline when they don't really develop it at all.

They didn't "waste" a season with the storyline. It was stated from the beginning that Ted and Robin weren't meant to be, but were they just supposed to end season 1 like they did and start season 2 with Older Ted saying "I had finally gotten Robin, but we broke up two months later and she took a job in England"? This is just an evolution of the Ted character: Season 1 was him steadfast in finding "the One" no matter what it took before ending up with the woman he was pining after, Season 2 was Ted finding out that Robin is just not the woman for him and Season 3 will be him back on the search, but he will be a lot more mellow about it than he was in the first season.

I consider it a waste when we're two seasons in and they've done nothing to even hint at who the "The One" is. With the series based around how Ted met "The One", shouldn't they have done something to show us who she is by now? I'm all for showing the 'evolution' of Ted, but would it hurt to do something to advance the premise that the show is based on?

Hard to get attached to or care about a storyline when they don't really develop it at all.

Exactly. For two seasons, they've done nothing to show us who "The One" is, and I'm not hopeful that situation will change in season 3.

Sometimes the show premise changes from one thing to other. Now I don't even see it as a show about Ted finding the one, but rather a show about the group like Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney. Of course this is partly why I stopped watching the show, but my wife still watches it, and that's the observation I made.

Sometimes the show premise changes from one thing to other. Now I don't even see it as a show about Ted finding the one, but rather a show about the group like Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney. Of course this is partly why I stopped watching the show, but my wife still watches it, and that's the observation I made.

And what's why I'll be tuning out next season unless they do something to let us know who "the One" is. I tuned in wanting to see how Ted met "the One", and it's been two seasons and we're no closer to finding that out. Barney's funny, and while he's not while I tuned in to begin with, he's the only thing keeping me around. Soon, even that won't be enough.

Just started watching this show. Most of the way through the first season already. It's mighty entertaining I have no clue what station it's even show on in the UK. It's got approximatly 0% percent visability in this country. How good a deal is the show cut in the US? What station and sort of time slot is it getting? Sorry if any of this has been brought up in the this thread but I didn't want to read through and have season 2 spoilt for me.

It airs 8 p.m. Mondays on CBS. They give it a fair amount of promotion during other programming, but they've also gone long stretches of the year without new episodes, which I think has turned some people off. That's more a problem of trying to stretch 22 episodes from September to May than disrespect for the show, though.

I had never heard a threesome referred to as "The Tricycle" until this episode.

Barney went old school with that belt, too. I don't know how long he's known Ted, but I wouldn't be surprised if Barney bought that thing as soon as he turned 18.

Loved the belt, and the idea of Winnie Cooper in a threesome, but isn't it a little creepy to be telling your kids the story of your first threesome?

Yet everything else has been fair game? He has been pretty open about his sex life.

Guest MRK

Great episode tonight. Very funny. Reminded me of the 1st season and why the show was so good back then, unlike season 2.

Excellent episode. I enjoyed the sandwich runner. Barney's speech to Marshall was also really good.

"Broda".

I love this show.

And they way they connect scenes through seasons. Tonight's example being Ted meeting Barney. And his whole "I'm gonna teach you how to live" which they followed up with a whole new addition which was funny as hell.

I'm still waiting for the goat in the bathroom! Which, I'm pretty sure would be this season.

I just finally watched this ep off my DVR. John Cho is the man! He stole every scene he was in. He singlehandedly (although Kevin Heffernan was a nice surprise) took that episode from thumbs in the middle to thumbs up.