TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

As I said in the thread I made about the GC sale, Impact is actually pretty decent. If Fire Pro is a 10, and SVR 2009 is an 8, Impact is a 6. Well worth the $10 at Game Crazy, or really $5 considering you get 1 free game, too.

I have played 6-8 exhibition singles matches, including a couple Ultimate X, as well as the first few matches of story mode. There are obvious flaws with the game. Some collision detection problems arise, but I can count those occurrences on one hand. Twice, while chasing me outside the ring, opponents tripped themselves over the steps. Honestly, that was kind of funny.

Some of the controls are unnecessarily complicated. There's no need for separate buttons for punches and kicks. To differentiate between weak and strong strikes, they could have set weak to tapping the strike button (preferably X) and strong to holding it. LB + Y doing three different things also causes some issues. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need it to use your finisher, but the fact that you have to grapple with LB + Y in order to use the finisher is awkward since you have to stand still. Pressing forward or back while entering the button combination causes you to do an Irish whip or other attack.

To summarize, there are some collision detection issues. Some controls are awkward. They're nowhere near WWF Attitude level bad, but also nowhere near as intuitive as SvR's. Everyone's been over the no DQ/countout thing. I don't mind since the game is a fun arcade style title, but I wish there was an option to turn those things on and off.

All that being said, the game is worth the $5/10 at GameCrazy. I'd say it's actually worth $20, maybe $30 if the online play, which I haven't tried, is decent.

Oh, and about the Planet Jarrett achievement: I wonder if anyone has that. I have a friend on my list, and acquaintance of mine who is former indy wrestler who came up with Samoa Joe in the late 90's and remains friends with him to this day. He has Joe on his friend list, yet still doesn't have the achievement. That seems to imply that either Joe doesn't play the game, or that one or both of them dislikes the game enough that they never played each other online. Then again, said friend only has achievements from 10/6/2008 and hasn't played the game since, so I guess it has more to do with my friend than Joe.

Haha. Well, I knew he had Joe on his list since he told me, and since all but 3 of the achievements are easy (the others being "Beat someone ranked as TNA Champion on leaderboard" and to become one yourself) I checked his achievement list via my friends list. I only have 1000/1000 in one other game, so I wanted to get it on this. Probably won't happen.

The GameCrazy closest to me didn't have this, so I may have to settle for getting it used. I had intended on picking up this and The Darkness, but both were gone. I've played worse wrestling games (the old WCW and ECW games, for one thing) so I'm guessing this could be a bit more fun, especially with Ultimate X involved.

This game is $19.99 NEW at Gamestop and Amazon.com now. Picked it up today finally. Mine came with the bonus disc, although I thought you originally had to send away for it. And you can still buy your 120 pt Petey Williams on XBL.

...they ever finally put out the DLC they promised when the game came out?

Yeah, I got Curry Man and Petey Williams off XBL cheap and Tenay which a lot of places gave a way a code for with pre-order had been a free for everyone download when I got those two. Still ned to Border Toss Tenay around the ring...

Having exhausted SdvsRaw09 i decided to give this craporama a try. I like it. Sure its repetitive and there are limited moves, but I cant help but like it. Im currently in career mode and poor little Eric got killed by Aj and Daniels after i beat LAX (who were a cunt to beat). Ive game up for the night as its currently 3:20am :(

There is a tremendous amount of flaws with the game (having to cheat over and over and over and over and over to win the harder matches) I did like the controls alot in the game... and if they can shove a second game out before they close...I would like to see what they can do with the system they have moving forward.

Having exhausted SdvsRaw09 i decided to give this craporama a try. I like it. Sure its repetitive and there are limited moves, but I cant help but like it. Im currently in career mode and poor little Eric got killed by Aj and Daniels after i beat LAX (who were a cunt to beat). Ive game up for the night as its currently 3:20am :(

I'm at the exact same spot in career. Actually liking the $20 I spent on this one. LAX were a huge pain, but thanks to the randomness of their tag partner trying to help out, I managed to pin Hernandez with Eric and finally moved on.

I think the part I like the most is how the story mode is structured with unlocking things like arenas and more importantly, wrestlers. Outside of past SvR's trying to get Legends, I like only having half of the roster available and you get a sense of mini accomplishment for each guy you open.