TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Misused songs

Inspired in an NFL thread when someone, I don't know if it was a network montage or the team itself, used Green Day's "Time of Your Life" as a sendoff for the recently departed Wellington Mara... except the fact that, if you pay attention to the song, it's a horrible song to use as a sendoff/funeral song, yet I've seen it used for that purpose many times since its release

Other examples:

Using "Every Breath You Take", a song about a stalker, as a wedding song

Using "Born in the USA", a song deriding the US gov't, as a patriotic song

What else can you think of?

I bet ol' Wellington loved him some Green Day. But only Nimrod and older. They sold out, man.

I think you nailed the Big 3 of overused misinterpreted songs, but also:

"Lust For Life" I think the Onion tackled this.

"Brick" I remember kids slow-dancing to this at 6th grade YMCA dances. It's about an abortion. oops

Any commercially utilized Tom Petty song is probably about pot

On a semi-related note, any use of John Lennon's "Imagine" by a dumbass kid at a piano in the high school music department is bound to be shitty and pointless. We're not impressed! I bet you'll play "Heart and Soul" next, you mouth-breathing twit.

CCR's "Fortunate Son"-->Fucking Wrangler Jeans Commercial

They only play the part that says

Some folks are born

made to wave the flag

ooh they're red white & blue

I remember for a Geico commercial hearing the beat to "Now you're messing with a son of a bitch." Didn't think it made sense for that song to be in commercials for people they'd like to do business with

you mouth-breathing twit.

^

Don't mind him, he was temporarily possessed by the the spirit of MikeSC. He's haunting the board since his banning.

Yeah well what can I say, I get annoyed when hacks try to impress people by banging out a few power chords and looking immersed in thought, it's a common complai

FILE THIS UNDER TOUGH SHIT

The Transplants' "Diamonds and Guns" for Garnier Fructis shampoo/conditioner (the song's about heroin and murder).

Oh, and Slayer, "Every Breath You Take" isn't about a stalker. It's about Big Brother and an Orwellian society. I think Sting was quoted as saying that in an interview once, saying he read 1984 and then wrote the song.

The Transplants' "Diamonds and Guns" for Garnier Fructis shampoo/conditioner (the song's about heroin and murder).

Thank you. I love that song and had been looking everywhere for the title.

(I've heard it a few times, I don't just find it catchy from the commercial snippet)

:cheers:

Oh, and Slayer, "Every Breath You Take" isn't about a stalker. It's about Big Brother and an Orwellian society. I think Sting was quoted as saying that in an interview once, saying he read 1984 and then wrote the song.

Really? I thought I'd heard him say it was about a guy stalking a woman

Either way it's still a bad wedding song.

Okay, after reading all the lyrics to EBYT, I think you'd be hard pressed to say it's about Orwellian society

Oh can't you see

You belong to me

How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace

I dream at night I can only see your face

I look around but it's you I can't replace

I keep crying baby please

Unless Big Brother really really loves you, I don't see him lamenting in this manner

Okay, after reading all the lyrics to EBYT, I think you'd be hard pressed to say it's about Orwellian society

Oh can't you see

You belong to me

How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace

I dream at night I can only see your face

I look around but it's you I can't replace

I keep crying baby please

Unless Big Brother really really loves you, I don't see him lamenting in this manner

Yeah, it's definitely about stalking. I think Laz is out of his element with The Police, quite frankly.

I do remember some interview with Sting where he said he got the idea for the song after reading 1984, but alas.

Yes, when it comes to new wave and music of less testosterone, I am out of my element.

As an ironic joke, I tried to convince my friend to use EBYT as a song for his wedding (knowing that it was about a stalker).

He didn't fall for it though.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

"Losing my Religion" is way more stalkery than that Police song.

I once got in a fight with the Pixies' "Here Comes Your Man" in the background.

Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive", used as a feminist anthem.

The song was written about a headache.

Was this supposed to be a joke? I'm kind of tired right now and I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Because the lyrics would have to be extremely metaphorical for it to be about a headache.