TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

I have no problem with Dama pulling for Texas to win. Many people root for teams in their conference to win because it makes their team look better. If Texas goes in and gets smashed how does that look for the Big 12? Terrible and it makes Oklahoma look even worse.

My apathy for college football is well-documented, in part because of these bullshit scenarios. It's just one game, one game between Texas and Southern California. I don't see the need to start wringing my hands over all this extrapolation crap. "Well if Texas loses to USC, and Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Nebraska, and Nebraska beat so and so, and so and so beat what's it called, and what's it called beat Kevin Bacon, and--

GOOD LORD SHUT UP ALREADY

I don't think Texas losing to the greatest team in years reflects poorly on Oklahoma. I think finishing 7-4 reflects poorly on Oklahoma.

During those Nebraska years of the mid-90's, I didn't know very many KSU and KU fans around here rooting for them in the national championships.

During those Nebraska years of the mid-90's, I didn't know very many KSU and KU fans rooting for them in the national championships.

I can see how someone who might normally root against Texas be cheering in favour of them here, because they are the underdog against the dominant defending champions. Nebraska was the total opposite: due to their total assraping of anyone and everyone, if you weren't a fan of them you couldn't help but hate them (although I was pulling for them to win the championship in 1994, just so PSU wouldn't). Cheering for mid-90s Nebraska would be like a UCLA fan cheering for this year's USC.

I have no problem with Dama pulling for Texas to win. Many people root for teams in their conference to win because it makes their team look better. If Texas goes in and gets smashed how does that look for the Big 12? Terrible and it makes Oklahoma look even worse.

It makes no sense though. Essentially, he's rooting for his biggest rival to do something his team couldn't do (beat USC).

And then what? Then Texas fans will rub it in the face of Oklahoma fans until the end of time, and then he'll bitch about Texas again.

See how this cycle works?

Yeah I hate the ultra-long dominant team. If Texas wins and goes on a huge winning streak then I'll be screaming for them to lose eventually too.

The only team that I can stomach being dominant is my team.

It makes no sense though. Essentially, he's rooting for his biggest rival to do something his team couldn't do (beat USC).

And then what? Then Texas fans will rub it in the face of Oklahoma fans until the end of time, and then he'll bitch about Texas again.

See how this cycle works?

Once again we have more national titles and more historical accomplishments than Texas. They can have their one year of glory because next year it's back to business for them. By business I mean losing to OU.

What is there for Texas fans to rub? If Texas wins against USC it'll be Texas' first full National Championship. The other's are split titles. OU has seven National Championships and eight after next season.

During those Nebraska years of the mid-90's, I didn't know very many KSU and KU fans rooting for them in the national championships.
I can see how someone who might normally root against Texas be cheering in favour of them here, because they are the underdog against the dominant defending champions. Nebraska was the total opposite: due to their total assraping of anyone and everyone, if you weren't a fan of them you couldn't help but hate them (although I was pulling for them to win the championship in 1994, just so PSU wouldn't). Cheering for mid-90s Nebraska would be like a UCLA fan cheering for this year's USC.

Okay, I'll buy that one...

How about this example: Ohio State in '02 with all their lucky wins and coming into national prominence with Tressel after years of John Cooper holding them firmly in "so close yet so far" territory.

A good story (I suppose), but I can't see many Michigan fans who were rooting for them in that instance. I know I sure as hell wasn't.

What is there for Texas fans to rub? If Texas wins against USC it'll be Texas' first full National Championship. The other's are split titles. OU has seven National Championships and eight after next season.

Whoa slow down their turbo. If you're going to predict an OU national title you might want to wait 2 years for that when the team is Junior and Senior laden. Bomar won't be good enough to win a national title next year. Maybe the Big XII...

If OU wins the Big XII next season are they officially the most dominant team of the Big XII? I mean they've dominated the conferencer since 2000. This Texas stuff is just one year.

Don't forget that Colorado stuff and that Kansas State stuff too.

OU's won it every even year this decade, so predicting next year wouldn't be too far off.

Guest Big_Jay101

I honestly don't think Texas is as good as OU was last year, but jsut to throw a score out there

UFC 35

Texas 6

Yeah I hate the ultra-long dominant team. If Texas wins and goes on a huge winning streak then I'll be screaming for them to lose eventually too.

The only team that I can stomach being dominant is my team.

I like ultra dominating teams. Just something a team showing their dominace over a long period of time. That's a big reason, I want USC to win. I'd like to see USC break OU's winning streak. Nothing against OU...I just wanna see history. If they did that, than it would a third outright National Championship, and a fourth overall. Saying you saw maybe the greatest dynasty in sports history is something you can tell the grandkids about.

Wait I'm confused. Which dynasty did you watch? Was it John Wooden's UCLA Bruins or Red Auerbach's Boston Celtics? Maybe the Montreal Canadiens or New York Yankees from the early part of the century? I know you're not talking about USC because their dominance doesn't even approach any of those teams.

The Trojans are an extremely good football team and a blowout over Texas might put them ahead of mid-90s Nebraska for the best college football team of the modern era, but calling them the greatest dynasty in the history of sports is a little much.

Edited by iggymcfly

USC: 49

Texas: 45

USc will struggle, but find a way. They always do. Even if there is 6 seconds to go in the game. :(

Wait I'm confused. Which dynasty did you watch? Was it John Wooden's UCLA Bruins or Red Auerbach's Boston Celtics? Maybe the Montreal Canadiens or New York Yankees from the early part of the century? I know you're not talking about USC because their dominance doesn't even approach any of those teams.

The Trojans are an extremely good football team and a blowout over Texas might put them ahead of mid-90s Nebraska for the best college football team of the modern era, but calling them the greatest dynasty in the history of sports is a little much.

Given the circumstances surrounding each sport. A team winning four consecutive titles, and possibly winning 48+ games. In the sport, imo that allows the least room for error is worthy of being considered one of the great teams of all time.

Another OU fan that I talked to at school said it about the OU fans rooting for Texas.

"When it's in the Big XII or us and Texas then it's different. But USC needs to be taken down a peg." And that is why the OU fans are rooting for Texas.

It's funny b/c USC is getting all the hype and if you listened to the media and fans you would think that the game had already been played and USC had crushed them.

This happened in 2000. The big bad Seminoles were going to take on the lowly Big XII team and put them in their place and they went in cocky and got it handed to them.

Now the big bad Trojans are getting cocky and making all the rounds on the sports talk shows and everyone is filling their heads with that "you are going to murder them" talk. And no matter how much you say that won't happen and Carrol will stop it from happening it will. They're kids and they'll get cocky.

I mean nobody thought Stoops would let it happen and he was powerless to stop them from getting big heads last season. Say what you will about Carrol but Stoops is like a drill sergeant when it comes to keeping players in line.

So USC will roll in going "We got this" and then they're going to get hit by the best team they've played during their entire win streak.

And this will be the first team USC has played this year that has the same amount of talent and same amount of athletes on the team.

This will also be the first time Texas has played a team with the same amount of talent and athletes.

This will also be the first time Texas has played a team with the same amount of talent and athletes.

Ohio State. The #4 team in the country then and now.

Texas won at Ohio State at night. That's the best win in college football this season.

Not to mention Ohio State's defense was 10x better than USC's and AJ Hawk is a lot better than anyone on USC's defense. And Texas was able to deal with them.

I know Texas did win that game, but it feels like everyone has been rewriting history to make it seem like Texas was dominating OSU the whole game, when really they didn't even get the lead until 2 minutes left in the entire game.

So if they struggled for 58 minutes against OSU, what's going to happen against USC?

OSU's defense is really good but don't overlook USC's defense. It is full of all americans and has dismantled a few top offenses this season (Oregon, UCLA, Cal),

I know Texas did win that game, but it feels like everyone has been rewriting history to make it seem like Texas was dominating OSU for the entire game, when really they didn't even get the lead until 2 minutes left in the entire game.

So if they struggled for 58 minutes against OSU, what's going to happen against USC?

And USC struggled with Fresno State and Notre Dame. And USC struggled in the first half against Arizona State. So what's going to happen against Texas? Texas is much better than all of those teams.

Nobody seems to want to give Texas any credit while giving USC all the credit. And that's why USC will get a big head and it'll cost them. I mean you can already tell their head is big from listening to their interviews. The only one that seems to have a level head is Leinart and he can't do it alone.

OSU's defense is really good but don't overlook USC's defense. It is full of all americans and has dismantled a few top offenses this season (Oregon, UCLA, Cal),

Ok well then don't you overlook the Texas defense or offense. Which will be the best defense and offense USC has seen this season.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Ohio State. The #4 team in the country then and now.

Texas won at Ohio State at night. That's the best win in college football this season.

I'd rank USC over Notre Dame higher. That was USC's biggest win of the season, against a huge rival, in South Bend absolutely packed with opposing fans.

Maybe you don't understand but Notre Dame had lost earlier in the year already at home.

Ohio State hadn't lost at home in a very very long time and they'd NEVER lost a home game at night. On top of that the place was filled with more screaming Ohio State fans than there were Notre Dame fans at the other place.

It was a lot tougher for Texas to do what they did at Ohio State than for USC to do what they did at Notre Dame.

It was the best win in college football this season despite what you USC fans may want to argue. Trying to downplay Texas again. That's fine. Get cocky. Lord knows your team is cocky enough. But once Texas feels disrespected(they probably already do) USC will be in trouble.

Texas will be going into that game expecting a fight. USC is going to roll in thinking "everyone loves us and picked us to win. it's like a home game for us. we got this. screw these chumps."

And then they'll get blindsided by the best team they've played in a long long time.

I would make a large detailed comment with this, but you are so wrong that I wouldn't even know where to begin. What you are saying is beyond idiotic, since you haven't made verbal contact with anyone from the Trojans.

They're 19-21 year old kids. They're getting so much media hype and TV time it's absurd. Of course they're going to get cocky. They didn't get cocky last year b/c nobody was predicting a blowout. Everyone thought the teams were meeting on equal footing.

This year everyone is predicting a USC blowout. We've seen what's happened to national title teams in the past that have been predicted to blow their opponent out. They get cocky.

Fuck OU got cocky last year only being a one point favorite.