TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bulwark

12/3 Ratings and a surprise at TP

Sad to hear, So Jarrett books anything involving the title pretty much, the rest is handled by committee?

Well I guess that may explain the Monty tease, since it's something that makes sense, and actually has a little build to it. Make sense and build an angle, 2 things TNA hasn't done since Dusty left.

Jarrett isn't bad at booking...it's just that it involves him..which should never happen. Father or not, I don't think he or any wrestler should write and wrestle at the same time.

I'm in agreement with you on both fronts. Wrestlers shouldn't be booking and Jeff Jarrett, while he is being somewhat selfish, isn't a dummy when it comes to wrestling. He's been around for awhile and has more of a clue than any of the creative geniuses over at Stamford sans a select few people. Jeff has been a part of this business pretty much since birth because he was raised around it and he does know wrestling. He also isn't a terrible worker, it's just he isn't right for the part of being the Champion. I'm not saying he should be demoted to midcard fodder, but he should be near the top, just not on top. Another thing that wouldn't kill him is to take 3-6 months off. His character is stale because he's been there since the beginning. He needs to take a break, get a vision of where TNA wants to go as far as the main event picture. Sort of getting out of the trees so you can see the forrest type deal. Then ease your way back in.

With it being said as a person TNA is bringing in, I'm gonna bank on....Bret Hart.

Only if he brings the real Team Canada with him Benoit, Jericho, Lance Storm, Teddy Hart!

' date='Dec 9 2005, 04:31 PM' post='2070983']

Wasn't sting already in TNA? Why, then, would his returning be a really big deal? (as opposed to just a big deal).

I think in many ways the beginning of the spike TV show marks a sort of restart for TNA. Beyond that the return of Sting is still pretty noteworthy, especially considering he never chose to sign with the WWE.

The reports that Sting is coming in full-time for the one year, not just making spot appearances like in the last go-round, make this signing somewhat more noteworthy too.

Sting is probably the best old gaurd guy TNA could bring in. He's over, he'll put others over, and he's not cripple. Still, this is the last thing TNA should be doing. The important thing is to get their new guys over, not hire big names for whatever reason.

The only way this can work out well is if Sting wins the title off Jarrett ASAP and goes on a long run before losing it to help put someone new over. He should be used to put others over, and get a solid long-term fued with someone new (I would say Monty, but Monty sucks as a heel).

What we'll surely get instead is Jarrett vs. Sting a few million times with piss poor shocks and shenanigans galore. No one will get anywhere in the fued, and tons of guys will be kicked out of the title scene and made to look like shit. After all, I think we've firmly established that Jarrett's writing the main event, and I personally think he's really shitty at it.

Also, kudos to finally bringing in Kanyon for the Raven angle. It'll probably be just this once, but he'd only get misused, and the Raven angle isn't gonna go anywhere anyway.

Guest Coffey

**fair warning, the majority of this is just mindless rambling/thoughts typed out as they come to me. It's probably not in a real consistant order but I just wanted to get some shit out there**

Does anyone else, when watching TNA, kinda feel like they're watching them fall instead of build? They've already been around for quite some time and I'm certainly not going to make any ignorant predictions about the company dying but it seems like they're doing their best to mess up any situations which they might "accidentially" stumble apon.

Regardless of Carnival's stance on him, Jarrett is the focal point of damn near every-single-one of TNA's problems. Whenever anyone comes into the promotion (Gail Kim, Jackie Gayda, The Dudley Boyz, Christian) they're related to Jarrett in some way. The last thing TNA need is for Jarrett to have more power. Shit, I'm a fan of Triple H and even I can't stand to see what Jarrett is doing to TNA. He's not over enough to be the World Heavyweight Champion. He gets "X-Pac heat." He's average in the ring and average on the mic, not to mention he's been running the same gimmick for almost a decade! Same with BG James but at least he was over at one time.

TNA need some big names. I mean BIG names. Austin, Goldberg, Brock, Rock - something along those lines. It's the only thing that'll make people pay attention. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Christian coming in is great but I don't think he'd be a great World Champion. The Dudleyz coming in is great...but after AMW & The Naturals, then what? TNA need someone to get them over the first hump. Someone where wrestling fans watching will call their other friends and be like "holy crap, turn to channel "X" TNA got wrestler "Y!"

I don't think that Sting is that person. I think he makes a better main eventer than a lot of the people on the roster but he's already forty-six years old. He's been out of the national TV spotlight for how many years now? I'm sure he'll be suffering from a ton of ring rust and he's probably not in wrestling shape anymore either.

The best TNA could hope for is a Rob Van Dam or Chris Jericho. People will know whom they are and they'll help the promotion...I just don't think they'll be able to grab anyone to carry the promotion. AJ Styles can't do it. Samoe Joe did in with Ring of Honor but I think TNA are reluctant to pull the gun on him in TNA. Jarrett is a turn-off to a lot of fans. WCW got popular after they went out and got big names. They had the talent, just like TNA does now, they just had to make people tune-in so that they could showcase it. They went out and got Hulk Hogan. They got Kevin Nash & Scott Hall. They brought in Macho Man, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Lex Luger, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Steiner Bros. The Legion of Doom, etc. People knew whom they all werel. Some of those guys were returning, some of them were there for the first time but everyone knew who they were. Obviously some were more helpful than others but it's like, TNA gotta spend the money to get noticed. Bringing in Jeff Hardy, Christian, The Dudley Boyz, The Road Dogg, Jeff Jarrett, K-Kwik, Billy Gunn, etc. is a start...but they don't have their "Hogan" yet. They don't have the big, money-making "go to" guy. They need that guy to come in so that he can carry the belt and then build-up Abyss & Monty Brown & Bobby Roode (just throwing it out there, you know), etc.

This is me ranting out of frustration. I love TNA. I'll watch and follow them for as long as they're around. However having every storyline build to Jarret in some way and just having a bunch of spotty undercard matches isn't going to get you to the big time. It's going to making you fucking WCW Thunder. The "B" show. Raven is on cruise control right now. Zybysko brings nothing to the table. The Naturals push was aborted after Candido died.

You can't have all this talk of "changing the face of wrestling" and "biggest news ever, promise" and then not deliver. Sting? That's not the biggest aquisition ever. That's talking a retired wrestler into getting more paychecks. TNA need something to get the people talking. It seemed like it was working when Raven first came in and was getting a main event push. That was killed by Jarrett when he went over in the title match. That was the only time when I felt that TNA was "hot."

If you look at WWE, you can tell who the "big players" are. Triple H and Batista. Cases can be made for JBL, Cena, Angle possibly HBK, Kane & Big Show. Then you have the dudes "on the horizon" like Masters, Kennedy, Carlito, etc. In TNA what do you have? Jarrett as the "big dog" with people like Monty, Rhyno, Abyss & Christian trying to get to his level. Dudleyz are floundering with AMW. The Naturals fell off the planet. 4LK, most of the X-Division, Raven, Hardy, Team Canada & Sabu are just kinda there. TNA doesn't seem to have a real solid gameplan. Like, they don't seem to be heading anywhere. Bound for Glory was supposed to be their Wrestlemania and it was considerably worse than all of the PPVs before it. I just can't put my finger on a single problem unless I put all the blame on Jarrett...which it's not all his fault.

If Jarrett took a 3-6 month "hiatus" what would TNA do? All of their storylines revolve around him. Rhyno wants his shot. Gail Kim is pissed off at Jarrett over Jackie Gayda. Jackie Gayda is pissed off at Jarrett for reasons that we've yet to find out. AMW want answers from Jarrett because they turned heel to align with him. Monty, at one time, turned heel to align with Jarrett. Raven is feuding with Zybysko because he was "screwed" in a match with Jarrett. Killings title reign? Ended by Jarrett. Styles' two reigns? Both ended by Jarrett. The man is worse than Triple H. Hell, this almost rivals Hogan in WCW before the nWo was formed!

Something has got to happen. Anything that'll change things up a little bit. Have Jarrett lose a hair match. Have Jarrett turn face. Have Jarrett get "injured" and become a commish, evil ref, guest commentator. Something. If it all is going to revolve around Jarrett it shouldn't all be good all the time, esepcially when he's a heel.

Where is Abyss going after his feud with Sabu? What about Sabu? What is Raven going to do after he goes through all of Zybysko's shit? Do Team Canada still give a shit about Jarrett? If Joe wins the X-Title, is Daniels #1 contender or #2? Do the Naturals get a title shot with the winner of 3D/AMW? Is there ever a reason to watch iMPACT! and not just get caught up with the PPV half-hour "countdown?" It's like, damn.

I think TNA are doing the best they can in terms of acquistions. Sure, Sting isn't going to change the face of the business for real but they have to play up like he is - they're not going to get Lesnar, Goldberg or Jericho.

We all just have to be patient with TNA. They're going to make their share of stupid decisions but I think they're generally on the right lines, even if those lines are just being a slightly less dull version of WWE.

Anybody is better than Zbyszko...

Yes. Add him to my list of annoyances. Is he a face? Is he a heel? What's with his fucking nasaly voice?!

Edited by vivisectvi

Guest Coffey
They're going to make their share of stupid decisions but I think they're generally on the right lines, even if those lines are just being a slightly less dull version of WWE.

The problem is they're not coming off as an alternative to WWE, they're coming off as a bad WWE. That's saying a lot since the majority of us would agree that the WWE product isn't good to being with. iMPACT! is like WWE's "Live Wire" right now. You tune in and get a gimmicky ring, a lot of wrestlers that you recognize from past years in WWE and bad commentary mixed in with Jarrett playing the role of HHH and apparently Zybysko playing the role of Eric Bischoff.

I just can't put my finger on a single problem unless I put all the blame on Jarrett...which it's not all his fault.

Yes it is along with the writers, bookers, money people, tv executives, money marks, anybody who drinks the Jarrett kool-aid.

If Jarrett took a 3-6 month "hiatus" what would TNA do?

Best case scenario would have wrestlers with talent drawing in fans to buy everything with the TNA name on it while the worst case scenario would have Kip James as NWA champion turning people away with 0.2 tv rating on Saturday night.

Where is Abyss going after his feud with Sabu?

Fight Monty Brown for the right to be the #1 contender to the NWA world title, again. Of course the winner will never get the shot because some old fart will get signed and people will forget about the home grown talent, again.

What is Raven going to do after he goes through all of Zybysko's shit?

Sit in the corner of the ring complaining that his career has no direction in TNA.

Do Team Canada still give a shit about Jarrett?

US Dollar > Canadian Dollar

If Joe wins the X-Title, is Daniels #1 contender or #2?

Triangle match with AJ and Daniels until the angle gets run into the ground.

Do the Naturals get a title shot with the winner of 3D/AMW?

Its not like they have anything else to do.

anybody who drinks the Jarrett kool-aid.

I'd gladly drink any fluids related to Jeff Jarrett.

This is wierd because Sting doesn't even LOOK the same anymore. He cut his hair and has it's natural grey color now. I can't imagine how goofy it would look in the Crow costume.

Maybe he'll come back as the blonde surfer Sting, YEAH!

The backstage story on Sting's return to TNA

If Frank Dickerson were still with TNA Wrestling, it is possible Sting would not have been signed to make his return to the promotion's ring.

A few weeks into TNA's tenure on Spike TV, word came that the network wanted TNA to sign top "free agents" to contracts as a way to show that even without WWE, it could provide the biggest stars in wrestling on its network.

Some TNA officials did buy into this approach, and word began to spread that TNA was prepared to extend an offer to a former WCW star who never joined WWE after the buyout.

Frank Dickerson, however, opposed this approach. He felt that rather than investing in older talent like Sting, TNA should find new ways to make the product stand out. This philosophy was shared by a number of pro wrestling insiders who felt that TNA should instead spend its money creating marketable stars from younger talent.

But, with Dickerson out of the company, the internal pressure against signing Sting disappeared. The company signed the wrestler to a one-year deal and plans to make the announcement at Turning Point.

There is definitely some backstage frustration over TNA's pushing of Sting, as it once again means that the wrestlers who have been loyal to the company for the past few years will get passed over in terms of getting a main-event push.

During his first run with TNA, Sting also had a reputation of being there purely for the money and not worried about helping the company succeed.

Source: PWTorch.com

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2005_/arti.../1134324621.php