TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Top 100 WWF/E Matches 1986-2005

I decided to start this since I saw the top 50 matches thread.I figured it would be easier to do each wrestling company seperate.These are my opinion and are open to discussion,criticism,hate mail etc.I will start the list later.

Also,Where do I go to to post pictures of the matches ?Obviously I can post everything without pictures but I think it would be better.

99.ROWDY RODDY PIPER VS RAVISHING RICK RUDE 12/28/89

This is the cage match from msg.I think it is on one of the coliseum tapes.Rude has always been a good worker and this was one of pipers' better matches.A very good match in the wwf style cage that not many were able to have good matches in.

98.ROCKERS VS BRAINBUSTERS 10/31/89,AIRED ON SNME 11/25/89

This was 2/3 falls.A little short but it was all action with no slow parts.Too bad these teams never got 20 minutes on ppv.

97.STEVE AUSTIN VS UNDERTAKER SUMMERSLAM 98

These two have wrestled each other a million times but I think this was the best of the bunch.With Austins' neck injury this was as good a match they could have had.I always liked that ppv and this is an underrated match overall.

96.STRIKE FORCE VS ISLANDERS 10/3/87

I don't know how many people have seen this match but it is great stuff.The usual wwf 80s tag formula at a faster pace.Cool spot in the match as martel dropkicks tama and he goes flying over the guard rail.

95.SHAWN MICHAELS VS MARTY JANNETTY 5/17/93

I liked this much more than their match later in the year that got moty.This was jannettys' surprise return where he wins the ic title.One of the highlights of the early days of raw.

94.SHAWN MICHAELS VS DAVEY BOY SMITH 9/20/97

This is from one night only.Everyone complains about shawn going over in buldogs home town but what is forgotten is that this is a very good match.I think it is much better than their matches in 96.

93.QUEBECKERS VS 1-2-3 KID/MARTY JANNETTY 1/17/94

This is from a msg house show.Great 20 minute tag match where the quebeckers win back the titles a week after losing them.If you can get a copy of the handheld,it's worth checking out.

92.THE ROCK VS HULK HOGAN WRESTLEMANIA X-8

Some will question why this makes the list.It is not a classic by any means,but it is a very fun match that I think deserves to make the list.No need to explain the crowd heat for this match.In one match,hogan showed that he can still draw if put in the right situation.More importantly,it shows how little the rest of the roster was over.Something the company still struggles with.

91.SHAWN MICHAELS VS PSYCHO SID SURVIVOR SERIES 1996

Hbk showed how much he can carry someone to a good match when he wants to.This was Sid's best singles match ever by far.At the time I had no clue sid was going to win the belt.I love how the crowd turns on michaels.This is another match that I think gets overlooked but it could be because of bret/austin being on the same card.

90.BROCK LESNAR VS THE UNDERTAKER NO MERCY 2002

I guess you can say that the undertaker was feeling it in this one.I think the point of the match was to get lesnar over as a main eventer and it worked.Nobody took any crazy bumps off the cage and they didn't have to.The match was good the way it was.I have to include that undertaker did one of the sickest bladejobs I have seen which helped get lesnar even more over than he was.

91.SHAWN MICHAELS VS PSYCHO SID SURVIVOR SERIES 1996

Hbk showed how much he can carry someone to a good match when he wants to.This was Sid's best singles match ever by far.At the time I had no clue sid was going to win the belt.I love how the crowd turns on michaels.This is another match that I think gets overlooked but it could be because of bret/austin being on the same card.

Sid is one of the worst wrestlers of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89.ULTIMATE WARRIOR VS RAVISHING RICK RUDE SUMMERSLAM 89

This is one of warriors' 3 good matches in his career.Rick Rude was the first person to get decent matches out of the warrior and he made him look great in this match.Mean Gene also provides some pre match humor.

I'm going to bet that Shawn Michaels ends up on this list the most in one form or another. I would say Bret Hart if he wasn't stuck in limbo for what felt like forever after losing the title to Backlund.

I will post the next 3 tomorrow and then start posting them 5 at a time.I don't know who is on the list the most as I haven't counted them.I may do a wcw list eventually but my memory of early 80s nwa isn't very good.

88. EVOLUTION VS ROCK N SOCK CONNECTION WRESTLEMANIA XX

This match was suppose to be about foley getting revenge on orton but the 2 that stole the show were the mostly retired rock,and the should have retired ric flair. This match was alot of fun.Flair and the Rock brought their A game and made this match way better than anyone expected it to be.

87. HART FOUNDATION VS DEMOLITION SUMMERSLAM 90

Its too bad they didn't give wrestlers more time on ppv back then.This was a great 15 minute match that could have been an awesome 30 minute match. Demolition were better workers than people give them credit for.The highlight of the ppv and one of the few good matches the wwf had that year.

86. BRET HART VS DEISEL SURVIVOR SERIES 95

With this match,the company was pretty much telling nash "You bombed as champion so we are taking the belt off you". They were also telling bret "You are only a transition champ for shawn so don't get too comfortable".That is enough reason for both guys to phone it in.

Instead,they decided to have one of the best matches of the year.Bret had always been able to get decent matches out of nash and this was there best. We also got the first ever sign of what would be the attitude era when Deisel launched Bret off the apron and through the announce table.

85. SHAWN MICHAELS VS SHELTON BENJAMIN 5/2/05

The best match on raw in a long time.This is the best way to use shelton. By letting him WRESTLE.Great ending as shawn hits the best superkick you will ever see.

84. GREAT SASUKE VS TAKA MICHINOKU CANADIAN STAMPEDE 97

These two were part of a six man tag at ecw's first ppv and it might have been the best match the company ever had.They have a match in wwf and its one of the best of the year.If you had never seen those two before,you came out of that match wanting to see more of them.

83. THE ROCK VS CHRIS JERICHO ROYAL RUMBLE 02

Good matches were hard to come by that year up until the smackdown six started putting on motyc every week.This match is forgotten about by alot of people.Jericho was great as a heel and he worked well with the rock.Not as good as their no mercy match but still a great match.

82. THE ROCK VS HHH SUMMERSLAM 98

HHH won the match but it did more in getting the Rock over in the short term.This ladder match doesn't hold up as well today but it is still a great match. The Rock was turned face after this match only to turn heel again and win the wwf belt.He would go on to main event wrestlemania.Talk about helping someone get over.As for HHH,we know where he is now.

81. BRET HART VS STEVE AUSTIN VS UNDERTAKER VS VADER FINAL FOUR 97

People left this match saying how they forgot how awesome vader used to be. Vaders' time in the wwf was a flop but in this match he was like old school Vader.Great brawl.

80. HART FOUNDATION VS KILLER BEES 2/17/86

This is on the bret dvd.This is a great old school tag match back when good wrestlers were given 20 minutes to put together a good match.The killer bees were better than people give them credit for.

79. HARDY BOYS VS EDGE/CHRISTIAN NO MERCY 99

This one is forgotten about because of the tlc matches that would follow.A great ladder match that got both teams over.

78. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS JAKE ROBERTS 8/9/86

Steamboat could carry anyone to a good match and jake was pretty good too. I liked this more than their match from the big event. Jake is the master of psychology and steamboat is one of the best at selling.

77. BRET HART VS OWEN HART 7/9/94

This is their ironman match which you can only see if you have the handheld. This is way below the caliber of the wm match but its still great.

76. THE ROCK VS CHRIS JERICHO NO MERCY 01

Better than the rumble match.People did not buy jericho as a main eventer at this point but the rock made sure they did by the end of their fued.

75. STEINERS VS MONEY INC. 8/16/93

This was a cage match that aired on the summerslam spectacular show.A match that nobody talks about and is a great tv match.Great ending as both rick steiner and ted dibiase escaped the cage.Scott steiner and Irs are trying to escape so Rick gets underneath him to prevent him from jumping to the floor.

74. Ric Flair vs MR. Perfect 1/18/93 aired 1/25/93

Flairs' last time on tv until 2001.One of the first episodes of raw.It was matches like this one that made raw different from the old prime time shows.Too bad this was the only time flair and hennig fought each other in the wwf.They would have had a great match every time.

73. KURT ANGLE VS BROCK LESNAR WRESTLEMANIA XIX

This series is slightly overrated but its still a good match.Considering what these two are capable of I was expecting more.Still worth a look.At least we get to see shooting star brock.

72. CHRIS BENOIT VS EDGE VS KANE VS CHRISTIAN VS SHELTON BENJAMIN VS CHRIS JERICHO WRESTLEMANIA 21

This match was a showcase of what shelton can do.Ladder matches have been done to death and they were going to have to be creative to make this special. Benjamin running up the one ladder to knock jericho off the other is pretty awesome.

71. KURT ANGLE VS EDDIE GUERRERRO WRESTLEMANIA XX

I set the expectations too high for this one.After rewatching it I think it is a great match.Eddie comes up with a good way to counter the anklelock by loosening his shoe.I love that spot.Angle goes for the anklelock but eddies' shoe comes off and he pins angle with a small package.

Nice! I`m enjoying your list so far. No major complaints. I`m looking forward to the rest of it as well as the WCW one. I love lists like that!

I would just like to add that I know my explanations after each ranking sucks.I will give better reasoning once we get to the top 20 or so.

70. MICK FOLEY VS RANDY ORTON BACKLASH 04

Almost everyone was complaining at the time that orton sucks and foley sucks for working with orton.I liked the setup for the match and the match delivered. Foley has the ability to carry average wrestlers to great brawls.see the rock 1999 or hhh 2000.I don't think people expected much from this but it was one of the better matches that year.

69. HHH/STEVE AUSTIN VS CHRIS BENOIT/CHRIS JERICHO 5/21/01

The company took a turn for the worse after wrestlemania that year so benoit/jericho got a very brief fued with austin and hhh.It is not a memorable fued but this is a memorable match.

68. THE ROCK VS CHRIS BENOIT FULLY LOADED 2000

This one is forgotten about because of the last man standing match before it.This match was great and was benoits' first time main eventing a wwf ppv.Of course the highlight of the match is benoit being announced as the new world champion.It got reversed and the rock went on to win the match but I still thought that was awesome at the time.Obviously I didn't expect benoit to win the title 4 years later.

67. THE ROCK VS MANKIND ROYAL RUMBLE 99

Some might think this is too high but I liked it.Those chairshots were brutal.Even watching it at the time I couldn't belive how stiff those chairshots were or how many he took.It definately added realism to the match.It's one I won't forget.

66. BRET HART VS SHAWN MICHAELS SURVIVOR SERIES 92

Everyone remembers the match at the same ppv 5 years later.Nobody remembers this one.A great scientific match which is when bret is always at his best.Very underrated match.

65. SHAWN MICHAELS VS JEFF JARRETT IYH 2

This one is overrated.A good match but not even close to 5 stars like someone with the first name scott says.It's still good though.The best match jeff jarrett has ever been in.One of the best matches of 95.

64. SHAWN MICHAELS/STEVEVE AUSTIN VS OWEN HART/DAVEY BOY SMITH 5/26/97

This was hbks' first match back after losing his smile and he makes it count.This is high quality stuff for a tv match.It's on the monday night wars dvd and is definately worth a look.

63. HHH VS SHAWN MICHAELS 12/29/03

These two have wrestled each other way too many times and few of them have been good.This one was the best singles match they had.I wasn't expecting anything from this match.It was the second best match of the year next to angle/benoit.

62. HHH VS MICK FOLEY NO WAY OUT 2000

It's not as good as the rumble match but it's still great.HHH has foley to thank for getting him over as a main eventer.This is the debut of the flaming board wrapped in barb wire.Going into the match I thought foley was going to win.It would have meant more if he didn't come back a month later.

61. KURT ANGLE/CHRIS BENOIT VS EDGE/REY MYSTERIO 11/7/02

Talk about high quality tv matches.This is not as good as the ppv match but how often do guys get 40 minutes ov a 2hr show.If you didn't read the spoilers you'd have no idea who was winning.The smackdown six produced some of the best matches on regular tv.

60. RAZOR RAMON VS SHAWN MICHAELS SUMMERSLAM 95

Obviously this is not as good as the wm 10 match but it was still one of the first ladder matches the wwf had.Remember when ladder matches only happened maybe once a year.Now they happen all the time and the spots in the match don't seem special anymore.This match was put on the ppv because they thought the card looked weak.They had no problem stealing the show.

59. BRET HART VS OWEN HART SUMMERSLAM 94

Some may think this is too low.I don't think it is as good as people will lead you to believe.Having said that,it's the best cage match ever inside the blue cage.They are constantly trying to escape which is the purpose of a cage match.I also love the entire family trying to get after owen and neidhart after the match.

58. SHAWN MICHAELS VS DEISEL IYH GOOD FRIENDS BETTER ENEMIES

This match is underrated imo.This would be deisels' last ppv match and it was one of his best.Strange how when two members of the click worked together it produced a 4 star match or better.You will see a better example of that later.The best part of this match is deisel going to ringside and ripping vachons' artificial leg off to use as a weapon.

57. BRET HART VS RANDY SAVAGE SNME 11/28/87

This is a great match.I am surprised it didn't make the bret dvd.How often do you see a match where one guy works on the other guys foot for most of the match.I rank it this hiigh for being different.

56. BRET HART VS RICKY STEAMBOAT 3/8/86

Too bad these two couldn't get a match at wm2.This was a great 15 minute match that could have been an awesome 30 minute match.Bret showed he could be a singles wrestler here.Steamboat is his usual awesome self.Check it out on the bret dvd.

55. KURT ANGLE VS THE ROCK NO WAY OUT 01

Everyone remembers the 2/3 falls match from this ppv but they forget how great this match was.Much better the second time I saw it.Of course we get the great shot of rock being in the ankle lock and angle screaming "Give up Rock or I'll break your f'in ankle right now"

54. DEAN MALENKO VS SCOTTY 2 HOTTY BACKLASH 2000

This is forgotten about and its prabably the only bright spot of the light heavyweight division.Malenko was never going to work out in the wwf because all he does is wrestle.How dare he do that.This had one of the best finishing moves I've ever seen.Scotty goes to suplex dean off the top and malenko reverses to a ddt.You have to see it to know how awesome that spot was.

53. THE ROCKERS VS THE ORIENT EXPRESS ROYAL RUMBLE 91

I never expected this match to be as good as it was.I should have since these guys worked in the awa together.Great 20 minute match where the typical tag formula match works perfectly.The best rockers match I've seen.

52. EDDIE GUERRERRO VS ROB VAN DAM 5/27/02

Well,this is the only time you will see rvd on this list.2002 was dominated by the smackdown six.Earlier in the year eddie was on raw and had an awesome ladder match with rvd.Ladder matches play to van dams' strength which is crazy highspots and blown spots that can be worked into the match.It's on the eddie dvd so check it out.

51. BRET HART VS RIC FLAIR 10/12/92

This had to be the most unexpected world title win I can remember.Bret went from being in the upper mid card to main eventing summerslam only because it was in england,to winning the world title.Talk about a jump up the roster.This was the usual great flair match with bret there to keep it from being too much flair formula.Should have been on the bret dvd.I don't know if this is the right place on the list but I always loved flair matches.