TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

720p is techically better than 1080i because you're still getting more scanlines on the screen at any given time. Since 1080i is interlaced you're actually only seeing either the odd or even scanlines at any given time so you only are seeing 540 scanlines. 720p is 720 at all times because it is progressive scan.

(Edit: This is just something I wrote up in the E3 thread that might be of use)

The idea is that 1080 refers to scanlines. The more scanlines (more than 720p) the better the visuals look. If it is interlaced like 1080i than only half of the scanlines at any given time are being shown (half of 1080). If it is progressive than all scanlines are shown at all times as is the case for 1080p. BUT 720p is considered the best because it shows more scanlines at any given time than 1080i. But 1080p is subjectively the best. The problem is almost NOBODY's television can display 1080p. Even if you get a 1080p signal most likely your television will downgrade it to probably 720p.

This is also just semantics. The human eye can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

My tv (TXP3071WHX) is the larger version of yours (non slimfit, its about 6 inches deeper than yours and heavier). Tube HDTVs produce better blacks/dark colors and they have a wider viewing angle, and they are cheaper.

Native resolution is only important on LCD because they can only display the native resolution due to fixed pixels. So if for instance you have a 720p LCD then trying to view 1080i material on it would cause the TV to downconvert the signal to 720p causing image deterioration (not horrendous but noticable). Of course CRTs have to upconvert 720p to 1080i, but thats better than downconverting a signal..

I've been reading that 720p is better for sport programs and since my TV is 1080i and I watch a lot of sports, I am going to exchange it for a 720p. It sucks because there are no 30" LCD 720ps for under $1000. So I'll have to go with a 23" Samsung for $799.

I don't mind returning it, it just sucks bringing my TV to the store because its fucking heavy as shit.

I've been reading that 720p is better for sport programs and since my TV is 1080i and I watch a lot of sports, I am going to exchange it for a 720p. It sucks because there are no 30" LCD 720ps for under $1000. So I'll have to go with a 23" Samsung for $799.

I don't mind returning it, it just sucks bringing my TV to the store because its fucking heavy as shit.

I wouldn't exchange the TV. Any increase in detail/pic quality you get from being able to display 720p natively (720p signal on 720p set) is offset by the fact that the TV is 7 inches smaller, and then you have to deal with 1080i material getting downconverted to 720p which is a whole lot more programming than 720p..

Yeah, I decided not too because it would be a hassle.

Now I have the digital cable box HD settings changed. Since my TV is 1080i native, it converted all of the channels to that. However, I changed it so when a channel is sending 720p(Fox, ESPN, ABC) it changes to 720p not 1080i.

Should I leave it like that? Or make it so they convert to 1080i. Also, I set the box to show the regular channels in 480i, not 1080i with the side boxes. Should I keep it like this? I think I am going to because those boxes are annoying and it looks fine widescreen.

I'm not interested in either of those formats. I've got a good set, yes, but I'm not interested in rebuying everything in a new format, or paying a lot more for quality that I'd have to stare hard at to see. I mean if HD-DVDs cost $5 more than the DVD of the same film, then okay, but otherwise no.

HD-DVDs will become standard and affordable eventually...but for right now my upconverting Zenith DVD player does a fine job with my 48" Mitsubishi rear-pro.

projection is tonnes better than LCD, Plasma, etc.

The contrast isn't the same on LCD. Forget all about it. Projection is the way to go.

It seems like all the experts have also said this, but people are still shelling out $3000 for plasma and LCD sets...when they could get a rear-projection HD CRT for 1/3 of the price. I don't get it.

People could also just get a CRT set for under $800.

I'm not interested in either of those formats. I've got a good set, yes, but I'm not interested in rebuying everything in a new format, or paying a lot more for quality that I'd have to stare hard at to see. I mean if HD-DVDs cost $5 more than the DVD of the same film, then okay, but otherwise no.

You don't have to stare hard to see the difference. I am watching Serenity right now and you see a HUGE difference from the SD version of the movie. And your DVDs are upconverted to either 480p, 720p or 1080i.

Just don't get a Blu-Ray.

Blu Ray will become the standard format due to the fact that its in the PS3 and the PS3 costs the same price as an HD-DVD player. Unless Sony lays a huge egg with the PS3, which I dont see.

I doubt Blu-Ray becomes any sort of stadard for a long long long time.

HD-DVD's have a better chance at that.

PS3 will not determine who wins the war. A lot of the people who are going to buy a PS3 aren't even going to have an HDTV. And when word gets around and when people see that HDDVD is better quality than BR, HD will win.

PS3 will not determine who wins the war. A lot of the people who are going to buy a PS3 aren't even going to have an HDTV. And when word gets around and when people see that HDDVD is better quality than BR, HD will win.

Our buyers in the Wal*Mart Electronics I work at are really going after players/home theatres with HDMI. I realise it's not true HD, but aren't ifs and buts candy and nuts?

Re: the PS3/BluRay connection: A lot of it seems like a "take that" to Microsoft, who really hpyed up that so many games on the 360 were 720/1080 compatible, came with component cables, etc.

Since what, 1 in 10 people, have HDTV's, aren't they both jumping the gun a bit?

Our buyers in the Wal*Mart Electronics I work at are really going after players/home theatres with HDMI. I realise it's not true HD, but aren't ifs and buts candy and nuts?

HDMI is just for HD connections. High Definition Multimedia Interface, so it is true HD.

See that's what I didn't quite get.

Admittedly, we get no product training, so the majority of my research comes from here and what not. But nearly everyone I spoke with said that HDMI wasn't true HD. But if it's hooked up to an HD TV, isnt it semantics?

Come to think of it, if I use an HDMI player with an HD Ready, as opposed to an HD, is there a difference?

Mole, I just bought that 23" Samsung you previously mentioned. Although right now it's only good for my 360, as I don't have digital cable in the room where the TV is in at this time.

Over the next month or two, I'd like to get both an HD quality DVD recorder, as well as an upconvert player. Might as well go all the way, especially if I can catch a "no interest" special somewhere like I did with the TV, which gives me the time to pay it off (although there's no way I'd bother waiting the whole 18 months or whatever just to pay it off).

Over the next month or two, I'd like to get both an HD quality DVD recorder, as well as an upconvert player.

HD quality DVD recorder?

Come to think of it, if I use an HDMI player with an HD Ready, as opposed to an HD, is there a difference?

Ummm, are you asking if there is a difference between HD ready and a TV that is HD? Because the way you worded that doesn't make much sense.

HD quality DVD recorder?

A upconverting DVD player that records DVDs.

http://www.nextag.com/Samsung-DVD-R135-Hi-...053/prices-html

That is a good one.

Or just get an Oppohere.

See that's what I didn't quite get.

Admittedly, we get no product training, so the majority of my research comes from here and what not. But nearly everyone I spoke with said that HDMI wasn't true HD. But if it's hooked up to an HD TV, isnt it semantics?

HDMI hookups are most def true HD.

Not all the time.

If you get a upconverting DVD player that uses HDMI, the PQ isn't TRUE HD. It looks really damn good and ten times better than on a standard TV, but it isn't true HD.

Ummm, are you asking if there is a difference between HD ready and a TV that is HD? Because the way you worded that doesn't make much sense.

HD quality DVD recorder?

A upconverting DVD player that records DVDs.

http://www.nextag.com/Samsung-DVD-R135-Hi-...053/prices-html

That is a good one.

Or just get an Oppohere.

My bad. If I hook up a HDMI to an HD Ready DVD TV, will there be any difference from hooking it up to an HDTV?

Least we also not forget you can get HD over component cables and if you have a smaller HD TV, you'll more than likely see no difference between HDMI/DVI and component inputs. DVD Upconverters usually don't allow upconversion over Component, but I know my HD Tivo outputs over Component just as well as HDMI and has saved me a lot of headaches with my Upconverting DVD Recorder that has to go over HDMI.

And I think more people will buy PS3's for the cheap blu-ray player initially than for the gaming aspect.

Least we also not forget you can get HD over component cables and if you have a smaller HD TV, you'll more than likely see no difference between HDMI/DVI and component inputs. DVD Upconverters usually don't allow upconversion over Component, but I know my HD Tivo outputs over Component just as well as HDMI and has saved me a lot of headaches with my Upconverting DVD Recorder that has to go over HDMI.

And I think more people will buy PS3's for the cheap blu-ray player initially than for the gaming aspect.

Cheap Blu Ray? How much do they usually go for, with the 500-600 forecasted PS3 price?

By the way, a customer today kept asking me if each DVD he wanted was 5.1 Dolby. He proceeded to tell me that he just spent 9000 on a new home theatre....then asked me what a DVD was.

BR are going for $1000, which is outrageous when HDDVD is $500 and the picture quality is ten times better.

From what I've heard, Theres a supposed problem with the first Samsung BR player which is causing a whole slew of problems but until theres a second BR player out, who knows.