TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

Well, HD programming just became available to us in 2004, and from what I understand it is only 15 channels or so for $15.95 a month, plus box and remote rental. If every channel was HD, then I could see it.

I have the digital cable package with DVR box, but I think the HD box would be the $15.95 in addition to what I currently pay. If it were only $5 or so in addition to what I pay for the DVR box, I would probably get it.

Jesus, what cable company is this?

I only pay $5.00 more a month and that is just for the digital cable box. The HD service is free.

Yeah, we have digital cable, and pay an extra $5.00 per month for HD channels...it amounts to a dozen or so channels, including locals in HD. I think to get ESPN-HD and NFL games in HD, it's worth it alone. Also, every once in a while Universal or Showtime HD will have a good movie on.

Adelphia, which is transitioning over to Comcast here in Huntington, WV. I could be very wrong on the price in addition to my Digital/DVR box. It very well could be cheaper than the $15.95 advertisement. Adelphia sucks balls here, and I am sure Comcast isn't going to come in and say, "Hey, let's lower your prices."

So if I get HD programming, it isn't just the 15 HD channels Adelphia offers, but everything that is shown in HD comes through as HD as well, correct? You'll have to forgive me, but if you had ever tried to get answers from the idiots at Adelphia here, you would understand how I might be misinformed. I just couldn't see paying $1 per channel for 15 channels that only half of which I would watch anyway.

I also understood it to be that in order to have the HD channel, you had to have it's corresponding standard channel. And since I already pay to get HBO, but not Starz, Showtime, TMC, Cinemax, etc., I could not view the HD channels for which I did not subscribe to standardly. It appeared to be a huge waste to me.

I just flipped through the program guide, and there are only 8 channels listed under HD. If it is true that I have to have the standard equivalent, then I would only get 3 of those channels.

but everything that is shown in HD comes through as HD as well, correct

Not all the time. For example, on ESPN Around the Horn is on right now and it isn't filmed in HD. It looks better than on regular ESPN, but it's shown in 4:3.

I also have MSGHD and haven't seen ONE program that is in HD. I am guessing they show Knick/Ranger games in HD, but I didn't get the TV until after basketball/hockey season. The same goes for FSNYHD.

See, I have no cool channels like that at all. Being 2 1/2 hours from Cincy and 4 hours from Pittsburgh, we have Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Pittsburgh. However, we don't have them as an option for HD channels. From memory, we have something like this:

ShowtimeHD

CinemaxHD

StarzHD

ESPNHD

HDNet

HD1

HD2

And one other movie channel, but I don't think it's HBO.

What are the deadlines again? End of 2006 for US, 2008 for Canadian channels, right? Although they've been pushed back like thrice already, if I'm not mistaken.

Imarkout, it doesn't seem like that big a rip-off. Expressvu in Canada charges 9.99 a month for the HD reciever (2.50 for the standard digital) and an extra 15 for the HD Value Pack (28 Channels), by far the most in Canada.

Cogeco and Rogers have something like 8 or 9 a piece. As a customer and I discussed on the weekend, waiting two years for HD might be better, especially with the price of a new set (they're not outrageously priced, but still pretty high). I'd say until at least half of the available channels are in HD, S-Video and component will do the job just fine.

I have Dish Network and because I already have the Everything Pak, supposedly my monthly bill would only increase between $5/$10 a month, which is no problem. The problem is the startup fees. Maybe the clerk I talked to was a fucking moron, but it seemed like she was telling me that I had to actually outright BUY the HD satellite box, rather then just lease it like I do the DVR Dish Box. She quoted some outrageous price, and I just said no thanks. I am thinking she just didn't know what she was talking about, and I really can just lease the HD Box, because what good would buying a Dish HD Box be, if say in a year I didn't want Dish Network anymore!?!

February 17th, 2009

So as it wont interfere with CBS's March Madness coverage or Sweeps in May.

I get 7 National Networks (ESPN/2, UHD, DHDT, TNTHD,HDNet Movies and HDNet) plus NBC and FOX from NY in HD for $10 + $6 for the HD Tivo fee (half the standard Tivo fee) plus the Tivo picks up CBS/ABC OTA in HD. Eventually directv is going to be adding more HD Channels but it gets tricky since they will be in MPEG4 format which wont work with my HDTivo which only can get MPEG2. Supposedly it will be a free/low cost upgrade to Directvs MPEG4 DVR (NOT TIVO) but no one knows. I luckily only paid $400 for the HDTivo last year, but some people paid $1000 for theirs when it first came out over 2 years ago.

Just bought a Sony 32" Bravia XBR1 yesterday and despite the limited HD programing I love it. I assuem that eventually Multiple HBO's, ESPN's, Starz, etc will be HD channels which will rock. But until then I can deal with the subpar feeds on analog channels for watching certain shows. The benefit of seeing most Red Sox games, all Patriot games, and most Bruins games in HD is worth it alone.

February 17th, 2009

So as it wont interfere with CBS's March Madness coverage or Sweeps in May.

But Feb. is also sweeps month.

Guest Princess Leena

My apologies if this has been answered already... but, I'm not fully understanding this end of analog in February 2009 thing.

Does this mean that all non-HD TV's will be completely useless, or does this only affect the poorer people who use antennas and don't have cable/satellite receivers?

My apologies if this has been answered already... but, I'm not fully understanding this end of analog in February 2009 thing.

Does this mean that all non-HD TV's will be completely useless, or does this only affect the poorer people who use antennas and don't have cable/satellite receivers?

It just means that the broadcasters must transmit digitally. If your cable company decides to downconvert to analog still you will be just peachy keen.

And Mole, a lot of people use attenna's to grab local OTA HD off the air.

Yeah, but you need a specific attenna for that. The attennas you see on people's roofs are for analog, while the HD ones are digital. Or something like that.

Yeah, but you need a specific attenna for that. The attennas you see on people's roofs are for analog, while the HD ones are digital. Or something like that.

I've heard that's really not true...I think an antenna is basically an antenna. I could be wrong, though.

Mole..Im gonna be blunt.

YOU

DONT

KNOW

SHIT

ABOUT

HD

You can get HD signals with a $1 pair of cheap rabbit ears if the signal originiates close enough to you. Antenna companies are preying on dummies like you who dont do at least a bit of basic research.

That being said, I have said "HD DIGITAL READY SUPER ANTENNA" because I dont live close enough to the towers and had to buy an antenna, and mine cost almost $100 because I tried and returned about 5 others and could never pull in all the signals. The $100 one is the best and it still sucks if the wind blows wrong.

Mole..Im gonna be blunt.

YOU

DONT

KNOW

SHIT

ABOUT

HD

You can get HD signals with a $1 pair of cheap rabbit ears if the signal originiates close enough to you. Antenna companies are preying on dummies like you who dont do at least a bit of basic research.

That being said, I have said "HD DIGITAL READY SUPER ANTENNA" because I dont live close enough to the towers and had to buy an antenna, and mine cost almost $100 because I tried and returned about 5 others and could never pull in all the signals. The $100 one is the best and it still sucks if the wind blows wrong.

Really? So I can get an HD channel with the old antenna that is sitting on top of my house?

And I don't know anything about HD? Hmm, news to me too.

Mole..Im gonna be blunt.

YOU

DONT

KNOW

SHIT

ABOUT

HD

Really? So I can get an HD channel with the old antenna that is sitting on top of my house?

And I don't know anything about HD? Hmm, news to me too.

You can get a signal with it provided that you have an HD OTA signal thats strong enough.

HD POP QUIZ!

Whats the minimum bitrate (Mbps) for an HD signal?