TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

I wish you luck with that television, because tis quite crappy. Not quality but longevity isn't very long.

A pal o'mine has had the same tv for a while and has had no problems.

Thanks for your concern though.

I don't think anybody's splitting hairs. One guy's trying to correct everyone else even though he's wrong.

Im not wrong here though. He said "well it is a CRT TV which is the best kind of HDTV". Generally, projection sets, even if they technically are CRTs, are not considered the best kind of HDTV due to the odd viewing angles and such. Regular flat screen CRT HDTVs are still considered the best for picture quality (most notably better black color than any other option) despite the fact that they are about 50 times larger and 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper or more for comparitive options.

Good God, get over yourself. I saw the word CRT and I said it was the best kind of HDTV, which is true. I really didn't look at the TV itself. Marv, you are worse than most of the people at AVS, which is hard becasue most of them are horrible.

Oh yes, please do that Max. Unless he just got the TV and hasn't set up his HD service yet.

Marv, what cable service do you have again?

Oh yes, please do that Max. Unless he just got the TV and hasn't set up his HD service yet.

Marv, what cable service do you have again?

I have Directv, which I acknowledge doesn't have the greatest HD, however they have the dual tuner HD Tivo which owns too much to worry about the picture being a little off.

My only other option would be Dish and the pic quality is no better on Dish really. No cable out where I live unfortunately.

I Dont wanna have to get on you about stretching SD material to fit the whole screen.

PILLARBOX IT!

GO OUTSIDE!

Christ on a pony, Marv. You're out of fucking control with this shit.

I haven't ordered the HD channels yet. I have to pay for some of them and I would like to buy the cables and junk before I start fiddling around with that shit. So by all means "get on me" about stretching SD material whatthefuckever. Not all of us sit in the house all day jacking off to $3000 tv's.

Well Max, he has a point here. It just doesn't look as good. I am sure there is a feature on your TV that allows you to have it in 4:3 instead of 16:9.

Well Max, he has a point here. It just doesn't look as good. I am sure there is a feature on your TV that allows you to have it in 4:3 instead of 16:9.

There is. And it's a square that is the size of about half of the screen. Things don't look as good to me like that, they look good in the 16:9.

Again, once I've gotten the cables, I will certainly be more into the fiddling around with 4:3 and 16:9 and whatnot. Until then, I can actually see my tv. I went from a 20" tv with the best thing about it being that it had stereo sound to a 52" HD with all kinds of bells and whistles that I'm completely clueless about. I'm not an HD junkie by any means.

My Mitsubishi has good stretch modes, and I generally prefer to watch regular TV shows stretched. It's really not that noticable if the stretch modes are decent. Plus, you don't risk the dreaded burn in of watching with pillar bars on all the time.

There is. And it's a square that is the size of about half of the screen. Things don't look as good to me like that, they look good in the 16:9.

Again, once I've gotten the cables, I will certainly be more into the fiddling around with 4:3 and 16:9 and whatnot. Until then, I can actually see my tv. I went from a 20" tv with the best thing about it being that it had stereo sound to a 52" HD with all kinds of bells and whistles that I'm completely clueless about. I'm not an HD junkie by any means.

Max, I have a 52" Widescreen projection HD TV and it's more than adequate...thank you for not being an outta control goofball with all this HD nonsense. You know Jessica Simpson in that Direct TV commercial? Yeah, most of America doesn't know what that means either, sweetheart...

It's conversations like this that make me glad I don't work in electronics retail anymore. I bought my Mitsubishi 48" rear projection set in fall of '03, using money my wife and I got from our wedding...I finally had an HD-ready TV set, to go with my cool surround sound system. My co-workers were sayings stuff like "It doesn't have an HD tuner built in" (not that we had access to HD in our apartment anyway at the time, and most TVs at the time that had HD tuners built in were more expensive), or "Why didn't you wait to get a plasma?" I'm like, "Because I want to actually be able to watch DVDs and play Xbox on something that's good, and not on a little 19" dorm room TV that we had in our living room...plus, now I don't have to talk about getting a TV anymore and I actually have one, since, you know, we tell our customers how great they are and stuff."

Good work, max...glad you're enjoying your TV and not obsessing about the specs.

Umm alright. I was the same way at first, but you get used to the boxes. And once you start watching stuff in HD, you'll become a junkie. It REALLY spoils you.

Eh...I like watching HD, but half the stuff I like watching (wrestling, the Fox cartoon sitcoms, a lot of baseball games) are not in HD. I deal with it just fine.

I wish more cable channels were offering an HD feed, like TNT does.

TNT is usually hit or miss. They good a job with the ERs, Law and Orders. But if a movie is on, like Signs, the image looks horrible because they strech it. But this past weekend, Titanic was on and it looked amazing. The even kept it at its original OAR, instead of cropping it to fit 16:9.

What's worse than Marvin really trying, is that he doesn't understand as much as he thinks he does.

I know enough.

I cant stand it when people stretch SD material, but if you wanna make everyone look like Jabba the Hutt then fine. I got pissed off at the sports bar for them having a plasma tv capable of showing off ESPN HD and yet they were too cheap to pony up for the HD Box to get it so they stretched regular ESPN and it looked like absolute garbage, which can't be sending out a good message to people seeing plasma tvs in action for the first time. They can spend $2000 on a plasma but they cant spend the $5 or 10 a month for HD Service? WHAT? Its just stupid because its this same mentality that makes TNT go "gee..we have an HD Channel, but not all of our shows are really hd..so..lets stretch the hell out of it to fill the screen to appease the idiot masses into thinking their getting HD! YEAH! A Widescreen thats full must = HD!"

What I dont get is people throw a goddamned fit over having to have their movies letterboxed and yet they can't stand the same thing on the sides of their screens to preserve the proper aspect ratio of 4:3 tv..

On the subject of Channels, I like HDNet/HDNet movies over Universal HD programing wise. I would really like some more HD Channels but Directv cant add anymore full time channels at the present moment.

Frankly, I don't think the HD channels should be extra money at this point. If anything, the TV manufacturers and broadcasters should foot the bill to allow the digital cable and satellite providers to give free HD to all their subscribers. It would get more people buying HDTV sets if they knew they could take it home and instantly be getting HD channels from the services they already have.

HD isn't coming fast enough, IMO.

There are plenty of HD networks available that aren't widely carried because carriers don't have the bandwith (even Cable!) to offer them. MHD, Food Network/HGTV HD (DAMN), National Geographic HD, A&E HD (Waste of bandwith since the only HD Show is..surprise..CSI Miami) and a couple oddball others.

The problem is that theres only so much content to offer in HD and the startup cost for an HD network is huge.

Frankly, I don't think the HD channels should be extra money at this point. If anything, the TV manufacturers and broadcasters should foot the bill to allow the digital cable and satellite providers to give free HD to all their subscribers. It would get more people buying HDTV sets if they knew they could take it home and instantly be getting HD channels from the services they already have.

I have Cablevision and I don't have to pay extra for HD. I only have to pay the $5.00 extra for the box.

There are plenty of HD networks available that aren't widely carried because carriers don't have the bandwith (even Cable!) to offer them.

I have FSNNY and MSG in HD and I barely see anything in HD. Only about 1/3 of the Knick games are in HD and a 1/3 of the Ranger games are in HD. It's bullshit. And MyNetwork is in HD and the only shows they have in HD are the stupid soap operas they have on everynight. And INHD/INHD2 both blow with nothing ever good on them. Atleast HDNet has good movies.

They should use some of that bandwith for ESPN2HD. I'd LOVE to have DiscoveryHD and NFL Network HD, but we don't even have NFL Network so I doubt we'll get it in HD anytime soon.

Whatever, since it is free, beggers can't be choosers.

I have Cablevision and I don't have to pay extra for HD. I only have to pay the $5.00 extra for the box.

There are plenty of HD networks available that aren't widely carried because carriers don't have the bandwith (even Cable!) to offer them.

I have FSNNY and MSG in HD and I barely see anything in HD. Only about 1/3 of the Knick games are in HD and a 1/3 of the Ranger games are in HD. It's bullshit. And MyNetwork is in HD and the only shows they have in HD are the stupid soap operas they have on everynight. And INHD/INHD2 both blow with nothing ever good on them. Atleast HDNet has good movies.

They should use some of that bandwith for ESPN2HD. I'd LOVE to have DiscoveryHD and NFL Network HD, but we don't even have NFL Network so I doubt we'll get it in HD anytime soon.

Directv is at least nice enough to have all of those..sort of. NFL Network is only in HD when theres actually something in HD on. Discovery HD is like watching Discovery Channel reruns from the past 3 or 4 years, and yet still..NO FUCKING MYTHBUSTERS IN HD! Bunch of Retards. ESPN2 is nice in HD..youd be surprised to know that they have DRAG RACING IN HD of all things.

Directv is at least nice enough to have all of those..sort of. NFL Network is only in HD when theres actually something in HD on. Discovery HD is like watching Discovery Channel reruns from the past 3 or 4 years, and yet still..NO FUCKING MYTHBUSTERS IN HD! Bunch of Retards. ESPN2 is nice in HD..youd be surprised to know that they have DRAG RACING IN HD of all things.

I'm glad you are happy with HD Lite.