TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Post Your Cell Phone Thread

Shouldnt be a surprise that I haven't managed to join the year 2006 and have a cell phone, mainly because I can't afford $30 a month for the little that I would use it, but most of the prepaid services are a ripoff as well.

If you've made it this long without one, you should keep it that way. I long for the days I had an excuse for people not being able to get ahold of me. Most people buy them claiming we're doing it in case of an emergency, but they rarely actually get used for that.

Might I ask how much are you paying for a home phone service?

Because ther is really no need for a home phone now unless you have an alarm system at home. I know here in Atlanta the cheapest you can get home phone service is around 30 bucks a month and that is about 4 bucks cheaper than what I pay on my cell. Add in the benifets of having a cell and its a no brainer.

We have home phone but only because it came with a package along with our internet and digital cable. There is no otherwise reason to even have a home phone. No one ever calls that # anyways, aside from pesky telemarketers.

Shouldnt be a surprise that I haven't managed to join the year 2006 and have a cell phone, mainly because I can't afford $30 a month for the little that I would use it, but most of the prepaid services are a ripoff as well.

If you've made it this long without one, you should keep it that way. I long for the days I had an excuse for people not being able to get ahold of me. Most people buy them claiming we're doing it in case of an emergency, but they rarely actually get used for that.

I don't have one either. I don't understand how everyone can afford these things. The only reason I'd ever get one (if I could afford it) was if I had a girlfriend. But man, I wouldn't want my parents or other people calling me all the time. Sometimes you just gotta be free. Cellphones are like an albatross around the neck.

Amen.

I bought my first cell phone because my roommates were too irresponcible to pay the phone bill (I gave them a flat $300 a month that covered 1/3 of the rent plus utilities) and it kept getting shut off, and I wanted potential employers and my girlfriend to be able to get ahold of me.

Affordability should not be an issue if you have MetroPCS available in your area.

I pay 55.12/month for unlimited talk, text and picture messaging, as well as downloads of any ringtones I want.

My girlfriend unfortunately decided to sign a two year contract with Sprint...her bill is in the 130's/month.

Guest Vitamin X

I have a contract with Sprint, and it's nowhere near that. I have free incoming calls, nights and weekends starting at 7pm, insurance, power vision plus (which includes EVDO web usage plus picture mail), and 500 SMS messages a month (I could pay for unlimited, but I'd been monitoring my text message use, and 500 seems like a good limit for me). All that costs me about $70, without my 10% discount from work.

I think MetroPCS (aka Metropieceofshit) is a South Florida thing only, Max. And you're screwed if you leave the state of Florida.

Technically, you're screwed if you leave your home area unless you know how to hack the phone. But I very rarely leave the south florida area and if I do, I have a work phone that I can use for emergencies.

She got locked in on a poor contract. She always goes over her minutes, but she wanted the "cute" phone.

Guest wildpegasus
We have home phone but only because it came with a package along with our internet and digital cable. There is no otherwise reason to even have a home phone. No one ever calls that # anyways, aside from pesky telemarketers.

When you sign up for certain stuff sometimes they won't accept a cell phone number as they only want a home phone number.

Your cell phone is your home phone if it's all you have. No one's going to complain about that.

I need a new one, and I'm probably getting new service when I move up to D.C. in a week. I'm pissed that I'm probably going to have to ditch Alltel. They don't have stores in the northern Virginia area, and though the coverage is fine, I'd like to have a company store within, you know, less than 50 miles in case I run into a problem.

Guest wildpegasus
Your cell phone is your home phone if it's all you have. No one's going to complain about that.

I need a new one, and I'm probably getting new service when I move up to D.C. in a week. I'm pissed that I'm probably going to have to ditch Alltel. They don't have stores in the northern Virginia area, and though the coverage is fine, I'd like to have a company store within, you know, less than 50 miles in case I run into a problem.

When you invest it is not uncommon for them to want a real home phone number.

Hawk, how's that RAZR treating you? I like mine okay, except the conspicuous lack of a flash. Also, the volume isn't too great for me in loud situations or when I'm outside. I took it to the Cingular store and they said that's about the norm for Motorola phones.

Hawk, how's that RAZR treating you? I like mine okay, except the conspicuous lack of a flash. Also, the volume isn't too great for me in loud situations or when I'm outside. I took it to the Cingular store and they said that's about the norm for Motorola phones.

Yes, the volume was really low on mine which isn't good because I'm also in noisy places specifically work where I'm constant communication with the office and my clients. (which almost forces me to yell). My gf has another motorola but not this type but one of the older ones and the volume is great. So I guess in the upgrade in technology, they abandoned one of the (seemingly) important parts and that is making it easier for the users to hear the phone. I got a 30 day return policy, so I'm seriously considering trading it back for something that works better.

However, seeing as most people use cells for image purposes, txting or pictures...can't blame them.

When you invest it is not uncommon for them to want a real home phone number.

Yeah, around 10 years ago. It is common place not to have a home line now.

Yes, the volume was really low on mine which isn't good because I'm also in noisy places specifically work where I'm constant communication with the office and my clients. (which almost forces me to yell). My gf has another motorola but not this type but one of the older ones and the volume is great. So I guess in the upgrade in technology, they abandoned one of the (seemingly) important parts and that is making it easier for the users to hear the phone. I got a 30 day return policy, so I'm seriously considering trading it back for something that works better.

However, seeing as most people use cells for image purposes, txting or pictures...can't blame them.

I'm past the exchange period, so I'm considering toying with this modding thing you can do with cell phones. I guess you can adjust the volume through this, although if done incorrectly, you can mess the phone up.

Mine is a Sony Ericsson V600i

K600i.jpg

Pretty much does what a standard phone does nowadays, 1.3 mg camera, bluetooth, games, mp3, video and that, but heres the really cool thing about this phone, you can watch satellite tv on it, it works really well, no buffering or anything, eats batteries like a total bitch tho.

My contract just ran out - so I got the RAZR through Verizon. Love it so far - toying w/ the idea of getting V-Cast, but I'm not sure how often I would use it.

My last phone didn't even have a camera so it's a big step up.

Can't say about the loudness issue one way or another as no one has called me in the two hours I've had it. We'll see - I'm loving the phone though.

nokia-6230-1.jpg

Currently making use of this. Not the best phone in the world, but I'm far from one of those types that needs to have the latest and greatest. My last phone I'd had for years and was a piece of crap. I don't relaly care what a phones like, so long as I can easily call and text people I'm happy.

495.jpg

Sony Ericson T290a. Nothing really to special. It looks like it has a camera but you actually have to buy a special clip for a camera on it. Really gay, I want a new one.

So far, Ripper is winning this contest.

I would only buy from T-Mobile, with Verizon as a backup in case T-Mo won't cover the area (like at my Mom's place.) Nobody will get my business without a one year option, I'm afraid.

I have some old AT&T trash.

I hate that fucking phone, the Nokia 3120. I got it for free over a year ago because my other one was falling apart, and less than a year later the new one stopped getting a signal or anything, so I had to duct tape my old phone together and use that. What a piece of shit the 3120 is

I no longer have a cellphone.

I wouldn't care, but it was my phonebook too, so now I don't know a whole lotta numbers.

It's fucked, my lost phone warranty ran out too.

Fuck it, the damn thing was annoying anyway.