TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

The Official "52" Thread

It's fairly compelling so far, but they're going to have to have some payoffs midway-through. I'll keep buying for a while, but I don't want 45 issues of foreplay for a 7-issue orgasm.

Well, they've come out and said that Sue Dibny is apparently being ressurected around week 12 or so, that three new superheroes are debuting somewhere between weeks 8 and 10, and that apparently Booster is fucked come issue 15, and that's just going by things they have up on the official "52" website.

It'd be nice to have Sue Dibny back. I'd much rather it be her than Superboy.

I would be sad about Booster... but the way they're portraying him... It's really taking away from any sympathy for the character. They've completely gone back to his childish antics after he should have matured, and it's just agravating.

I still don't see why they're so intent on destroying the Giffen League. Sue, Ted (Still pissed), Rocket Red, and now Booster?

On the plus side, Black Adam is ridiculously ruthless.

I think they are playing up his immaturity to lead into his apparently eventual death. Like, that maybe he deserved it.

Also, I hope Adam (Strange) is going to blindly eat an apple in front of the serpent, and end up being cast away from paradise to reep the soil.

Booster's been acting like an ass.

I'd rather have Ted back.

Either way, hasn't Booster supposed to have grown a little bit?

If he dies I don't like this one bit.

The Question is cool.

Yeah, he had grown, but when the "big event" during the first issue didn't pan out the way he pretty much KNEW it would, I think something snapped in his brain. Also, I think his ego retook a part of his mind after that, telling him that now he could be one of the superheroes people remember along with Supes, Bats, and WW.

The whole "Mmm! Hero Cola! Slakes a thirst after saving children!" thing is a lot less charming when everything's going to hell, his best friend's dead, and millions of people have just died.

Was the fake fast-food franchise "Big Belly Burger" a running gag in JLI, or some other comic? The name rings a bell.

Issue Six was great. We get to see the debut of the Great Ten of China and see the start of nations forming pacts with other countries, which might play a role down the road.

Anyway the big reveal of the issue occurs when Booster Gold enters Rip Hunter's base. There is a chalk board full of cryptic messages, that could serve as teases for future events.

I have written them all down

Chalkboard:

TIME IS BROKEN(Written across the top of the board)

Dead by lead?

Further time is different

The four horsemen will end her rain?

He won't smell it.

Sonic disrupt[obscured] -> Time Masters -> Time Servants

The reach, the reach, the reach

The Tornado is in pieces.

"I'm not kryptonite"

it hurts to breathe.

2000 years from now

The Scarab is Eternal?

Where is the Curry Heir?

Who is Super Nova?

Find the last "EL"

MAN OF STEEL

What happened to the son of Superman?

Who is Diana Prince?

Don't ask the Question. It lies.

MORTAL SAVAGE (IM crossed out at the beginning)

The old Gods are DEAD, the new Gods want what's left.

Te versus (Au + Pb)

Who is Super Nova?

World War III -> Why? How?

The LAZARUS PIT RISES

WHEN AM I?

OTHERS?

I'm supposed to be DEAD?

KHIMAERA LIVES AGAIN

Where is the Batman? -> Who is the Batwoman?

Someone is monitoring, They see us.They see me

Papers on the floor:

SILVERBLADE

FIND THE SUN DEVILS

INFINITY INC

WHO'S WHO(book)

What is spanner's galaxy?

CASEY THE COP

WORLD WAR III WHY? HOW?(On a globe)

Other things include: pieces of paper grouped with the numbers 51, 53, 54, 55 and 56, but the one places where 52 should be is blank. There are a whole load of 52s in circles on the blackboard, and a lot of the notes have Sigmas in front of them. There are also some crosses on the globe, and lots of clocks with the time being 00:52.

Also the walls have "It's all his fault" all over the place and then we see a picture of Booster Gold

I am to believe most of those refer to the problems caused since Booster came back in time, and I'm thinking Booster's eventual killer in week 15 will have something to do with Lead.... Te (Tellurium) is the 52nd element of the periodic table...with Au and Pb being Gold and Lead (so it would say 52 vs. Gold + Lead)

"Someone is monitoring" might refer to the earlier pages, with the hidden figure talking while looking over the psychological visit.

I will say some of the other things, such as "Super Nova", "Mortal Savage", "Others?", and a few more might lead to whomever is hidden in that previous scene. Maybe Vandal Savage, with Booster's blip causing him to no longer be immortal??

Either way, I'm thinking those missing scientists are all over the vast reaches of time itself trying to fix the problems causes by the various' crisis' and other time travelling.

"Someone is monitoring" might refer to the earlier pages, with the hidden figure talking while looking over the psychological visit.

Gee...I really wonders who they could be talking about...hmmmm....I really have no clue...trying to figure this out is going to be a real crisis...

Latest 52 solicitations

52: WEEKS 18-21

Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid

Breakdowns by Keith Giffen

Art by various

Backup feature by Waid and various

Covers by J.G. Jones

52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman…but not a year without heroes.

WEEK 18: "Ralph, we’re the CROATOANS. We found Shakespeare’s GHOSTWRITER, we can find one of our own GUYS." Plus, The Origin of The Question by Waid and Joe Bennett!

WEEK 19: "What if I told you I could — using Booster’s DNA— bioengineer a superhero identity for you?" Plus, the Origin of Animal Man by Waid and Brian Bolland!

WEEK 20: "Adam’s right, Kory. This is way too big for the three of us." Plus, the Origin of Adam Strange by Waid and Kevin Nowlan.

WEEK 21: "No disrespect, Raven, but we’re as much Infinity Inc. as you are Titans. Neither team is the same one it used to be." Special full-length story!

Week 18 on sale September 6 • Week 19 on sale September 13 • Week 20 on sale September 20 Week 21 on sale September 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

Cover to issue 18

52Cv18.jpg

As a bonus, Here is the cover for Justice League of America #2

JusticeLeagueOfAmericaCv2a.jpg

As a bonus, Here is the cover for Justice League of America #2

JusticeLeagueOfAmericaCv2a.jpg

Damn, they really did a good job disguising who those extra JLAers are.

I have no idea who the gal with the wings and mace is, or who the guy with the green bow and arrow is.

I think the guy with the glowing green thing on his hand might be Bwana Beast.

Ok, Tornado must be the fairly generic looking flying guy. Can't believe I didn't recognize Manhunter.

And I only read the first Supes OYL, besides that I've just been reading 52 and getting into new (to me) series like Invincible, Hitman and 100 Bullets. How did Supes get his powers back?

Lastly, who's the chick next to GL? With the weird looking pigtails? And that IS Power Girl in the upper right, right? doesn't she normally have a cape?

And I only read the first Supes OYL, besides that I've just been reading 52 and getting into new (to me) series like Invincible, Hitman and 100 Bullets. How did Supes get his powers back?

They came back naturally.

I think the guy below Hawkgirl and beside Green Arrow is Capt. Atom.

The guy below Hawkgirl is either Martian Manhunter or Red Tornado.

No idea on the other women.

Is Wonder Woman Donna Troy?

So far with 52 I impressed with the following storylines (in order).

1. Black Adam being a ruthless badass.

2. Booster Gold being an opurtunist

3. Ralph solving the mystery of his wife

4. The Question

So far I am not interested in the Chinese Justice League, but maybe they will grow on me in future issues.

I now think the woman under Green Arrow might be Starfire.

Speaking of Starfire, its bad enough Adam Strange lost his eyes, but to add insult to injury and have Starfire walk around naked in front of him on that alien planet? Brutal.

What I thought was funny was that Animal Man wasn't even paying attention to a naked Starfire when she was right in front of him. I am sure that if Starfire was nude in front of Montoya or Maggie Sawyer they would have been paying attention to her.

What I thought was funny was that Animal Man wasn't even paying attention to a naked Starfire when she was right in front of him. I am sure that if Starfire was nude in front of Montoya or Maggie Sawyer they would have been paying attention to her.

Did you read Gotham Central?

Because in one issue there is a funny scene where Renee and Maggie's jaws drop when Starfire walks into the GCPD office