TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

I guess the Maloofs didn't care about Artest's offer to play next season for free if Sac had kept Adelman and Bonzi.

That was hot air and emotion coming out of Artest. He wasn't going to play for free. The player's association wouldn't allow it. It's not realistic. Adelman was on the way out and everyone knew it. The only thing that would've kept Adelman around was a deep run in the playoffs.

Oh I know, but do you really want to get rid of a coach that was able to get through to Ron Ron? I expect an Artest level blow up by late December/early January at the latest next season.

Eh, he listened to Adelman for a half season. Over time, he probrably would've had a blow up with him. Now, in the next couple of days if we hear from Ron Ron that he wants out of Sac, then Petrie and the brothers Maloof made a huge tactical error. I don't think we can accurately judge if Adelman had gotten through to Artest because they didn't have enough time together.

Guest Princess Leena

Another star player in LA?

Yeah, that will work.

I dunno how that trade works for Minnesota. I'd think they'd be more inclined to take a deal with Chicago, i.e. one with better draft picks and no uncomfortably oversized Lamar Odom contract. Though if they're looking to rebuild, you could do worse than grooming Bynum for a few years.

Odom's contract is as long as Garnett (four years), and an average savings of $7.5 million over the length of the contract. To me, that's not enough to justify giving up Garnett. Bynum is still a few years away and not enough with Odom to fill the gaping hole at the 4 that Minnesota will have. You're also taking into account the picks that the Lakers would give up. Chicago's lottery pick (via NY) will very likely net them a #1 or #2 pick, as well as something in the late teens.

The problem with Chicago is to who is exactly expendable out of the backcourt, and where Minnesota will be going with the guards they have. Jaric, Hudson, Banks, Hassell, McCants and Ricky Davis is a logjam. Deng should be the one to go, along with Chandler, but I don't think the Wolves bite on that. A starting lineup of Jaric, Davis and Deng, with McCants and Hudson off the bench would be nifty, though. They're likely done with Banks to justify signing Jaric, so that's the best plan of attack with that they have, and it's then only a matter of finding a young man to usurp Chandler offensively (Aldridge, possibly?).

Fuck, if I'm the Wolves GM, I'm taking Gordon/Deng, Chandler, the first-round draft picks, and running with it. That's too good an offer for Garnett, and gives them flexibility financially to make a run at someone down the line.

You "Bulls have better chips for KG" guys disgust me.

The Lakers deal would give Minny an entire FRONTCOURT aka Bynum at the 5, Mihm at the 4 and Odom at the 3. What draft pick this year is going to be good at any of those positions with the possible exception of Aldredge? The Bulls have no size (duh) to offer since Chandler is a 7'1 pussy and the T-Wolves already have a ton of guards.

The only way the Bulls would make a better offer than a starting front line is by offering both # 1's, Hinrich AND Gordon at the minimum. Deng and Chandler being included is more of a detriment to making the deal than anything.

Mihm is not a 4, anyway you slice it.

Tyrus Thomas will be better at the 4 as a rookie than Mihm will be playing the 4. Mihm is a backup center. He doesn't suck, but he's a backup.

That said, the Lakers offer is better than the Bulls offer that doesn't include Hinrich and Gordon.

Mihm is not a 4, anyway you slice it.

Tyrus Thomas will be better at the 4 as a rookie than Mihm will be playing the 4. Mihm is a backup center. He doesn't suck, but he's a backup.

That said, the Lakers offer is better than the Bulls offer that doesn't include Hinrich and Gordon.

You're probably right about Mihm, but the T-Wolves could do a lot worse than adding a starting and back up center, Odom and a pick or two to get even more size. Hinrich & Gordon, plus Aldredge/Thomas and a mid to late 1st rounder however would easily be better salary cap wise and probably wouldn't kill the Bulls either. No matter what happens, the team that lands Garnett will be closer to a title than Minnesota would be with or without him.

The buzz is that Don Nelson is the leading candidate to replace Adelman in Sacramento. :throwup:

..... :angry:

Tell me about it. So let me get this straight. You got tired of a coach who was all offense, no defense and successful during the regular season but not the playoffs, but now you want the guy who wrote the book on this very style of coaching?

I pray that this is just smoke, and that the Maloofs and Petrie are smarter than this. PJ Carlesimo, Terry Porter and Eddie Jordan are other names being tossed around. Sounds like a big bag of "meh" to me.

As mentioned earlier, don't count out the GS Warriors as a team that could land KG. Mullin is pretty desperate to keep his job out here. They may have to give up their first, plus Troy Murphy, Baron Davis, and maybe even Ike Diogu. The Warriors may also have to take on one of the horrible PG contracts off of the T-Wolves as well, but the market is a decent sized and a team with KG and J-Rich will be something to deal with.

Chris Paul won Rookie of the Year today. Not a surprise, the only surprise though is that he got all but one vote. The other vote-getter.

Deron Williams.

As a diehard Jazz fan even I can say that was a joke. Paul had better stats across the board and played for a worse team. It could be argued that Williams wasn't even the second best rookie PG.

The Wolves do not need guards. They have too many that they're already paying too much for.

If KG sees GS as a team that can win a title, they have the best pieces to offer. That's if McHale likes Troy Murphy and his contract. They can also use Richardson to bring on McCants, and then trade one of them later.

I'll say one thing though, is that if the Wolves see the potential that I see in Bynum, they'll take the Lakers offer without any question. Mihm's cheap, Odom's soon going to reach his potential and Bynum's a future star.

I'm all for the Lakers doing anything that keeps Kobe's PRIME from being wasted.

I think where teams get slotted in the lottery will play a bigger role than ever in what offseason moves teams try to make. If Chicago ends up with a high pick that can turn into Aldridge or Thomas, they obviously will have more leverage to get a guy like KG. If it turns out they end up with a lower pick, they may have to part with a Hinrich or Gordon to make a deal. Same thing with the Sixers.

Speaking of Sixers, GS is also interested in AI and might offer the same package of Davis, Murphy, Diogu, and some other things. Philly may want to stockpile PF's since they are locked into Webber for awhile and you need the insurance at PF when he goes down (which is a question of when, not if) Either way, the GS Warriors are looking to shake up their team and make a deal somewhere. Not saying it'll happen or if a good deal will happen, but something.

The Warriors are getting AI, I'd go so far as to guarantee that one. Of course, that's provided the Sixers put him on the block.

Chicago should just stick with what they've got. They've got a real good thing going, and they'll be able to draft the big that they need.

In that little video, Sasha was practically falling over Kobe. Yeah, he's annoying as fuck, and you can tell on the court.

If AI were to come to GS, the Pacific would be Hell on Earth...

LA Lakers- gotta deal with Kobe, Phil, possibly KG and Co.

LA Clippers- gotta deal with Brand, Livingston, and Co.

Phoenix- gotta deal with Nash, Marion, possibly Stoudamire and Co.

Sacramento- gotta deal with Artest, Bibby, Wells and Co.

The Pacific would be the murderer's row of the NBA. You'd be thankful to have an above .500 divisional record, that's for sure.

All 5 teams would get in the playoffs or get damn close to it. If it did come to that, it would be so unfair to see one of them get slighted in place of Denver or Utah.

A team with Iverson on it would be the team projected to finish last almost every year, unless the media ignores the Clippers. The balance of power would be more heavily shifted toward the West. Go figure.

To me, the whole KG to the Lakers deal centers on pitting the window of obtaining Garnett versus the risk of whether or not Lamar Odom will reach his full potential. I'd say we'll know by the end of next season whether or not Odom's improvement will continue until he's a top player. But, obviously this off-season is the one in which KG is available. So I guess it all comes down to Jackson's assessment of Lamar.

As far as my assessment of Andrew Bynum is concerned, I think he's more of a sure thing than Lamar Odom is... Bynum will be a star. If he is in the deal, the deal is too steep.

Also, the Lakers will still need a rebounder, a quick point guard, and possibly another shooter, so the deal needs to free up Space for that as well.

Guest Vitamin X

How is Andrew Bynum more of a sure thing than Lamar Odom, when Odom has already been a hell of a solid player for a couple seasons now, and Bynum hasn't even had the most bench minutes this year for a rookie (that would be Ronny Turiaf).

I'm totally against the idea of obtaining Kevin Garnett for Odom, Bynum, and draft picks. While the Lakers do need some veteran players, they'd essentially be trading away their future for the present, and even then you're still not dealing with the achilles heel of the team in getting a good point guard. This is why I'm much more in favor of getting AI, but that would be difficult to make an offer for without, again, giving up way too much.

It's best for L.A. to just stick with what they have and develop them, maybe pick up a solid player or two later on. If they can get A.I. for some draft picks and bench players, I'd be all for that. But that Garnett deal would be reversing the whole point of the Shaq trade.

Garnett is just turning 30, and Kobe is 27. Phil Jackson's contract only runs for the next two seasons. I think they should try to win now and trading for Garnett would do that. They'd probably be the favorites in the west in that situation, and would have a realistic shot at the title for the next 3-5 years. As a card carrying Lakers hater, I wouldn't want to see it, but don't kid yourself into thinking that Bynum and Odom are more valuable to your team than Kevin F'n Garnett.

How is Andrew Bynum more of a sure thing than Lamar Odom, when Odom has already been a hell of a solid player for a couple seasons now, and Bynum hasn't even had the most bench minutes this year for a rookie (that would be Ronny Turiaf).

I'm totally against the idea of obtaining Kevin Garnett for Odom, Bynum, and draft picks. While the Lakers do need some veteran players, they'd essentially be trading away their future for the present, and even then you're still not dealing with the achilles heel of the team in getting a good point guard. This is why I'm much more in favor of getting AI, but that would be difficult to make an offer for without, again, giving up way too much.

It's best for L.A. to just stick with what they have and develop them, maybe pick up a solid player or two later on. If they can get A.I. for some draft picks and bench players, I'd be all for that. But that Garnett deal would be reversing the whole point of the Shaq trade.

They'll be wasting Kobe's PRIME. It's not worth it to hang onto Bynum if that's what will happen.

Guest Vitamin X

If Kobe is 27, his PRIME is still good for the next 5-6 years, according to you-know-who.

As a card carrying Lakers hater, I wouldn't want to see it, but don't kid yourself into thinking that Bynum and Odom are more valuable to your team than Kevin F'n Garnett.

Trading away Mihm, Bynum and Odom, and draft picks for KG would give L.A. a starting lineup of:

Smush/Sasha Vujacic-Kobe-Kwame-KG-??

You'd upgrade one position in a major way, and create two big holes (at center and one of the forward positions if Kwame drops off, which is possible), plus the point still hasn't been addressed.