TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

ECW One Night Stand 2 Thread

Malenko vs. Angle would be match of the year.

If given enough time, yes.

Has these two wrestled before?

Now there's talk of Homicide/Angle for ONS2. Homicide is being pushed by Terry Funk and Heyman to be signed (he isnt under contract with TNA).

I'd be all for that and It'd be once again a NYC native making his WWE debut against Kurt Angle in NYC.

Now there's talk of Homicide/Angle for ONS2. Homicide is being pushed by Terry Funk and Heyman to be signed (he isnt under contract with TNA).

I'd be all for that and It'd be once again a NYC native making his WWE debut against Kurt Angle in NYC.

I would put C.M. Punk against Homicide on the undercard and let them tear the house down. I could see Homicide used like New Jack, except with ALOT more talent.

I would put C.M. Punk against Homicide on the undercard and let them tear the house down. I could see Homicide used like New Jack, except with ALOT more talent.

It would be a grave mistake to book Homicide in the vein of New Jack. Aside from the obvious similarities, they aren't that identical. Jack was an atrocious wrestler but he had loads of charisma to mask that.

Homicide has that charisma and he'd get over like gangbusters in ECW with Heyman's brush. The upside of Homicide is that he isn't one dimensional.

I would be very disapointed if he's just booked as a hardcore gangsta brawler. I'm not saying that he should strip himself of his identity, but if he's just used in brawls, I'd be disapointed.

They would have Homicide as the perfect image of the NEW ECW. A hybrid of technical skills alongside a vicious streak that can easily snap and fight you.

Punk/Homicide would be a mistake going into it cold. That's a key match for the future if Homicide does sign on.

I do think Punk will be the lone new star to arrive @ ONS2.

It would be a grave mistake to book Homicide in the vein of New Jack. Aside from the obvious similarities, they aren't that identical. Jack was an atrocious wrestler but he had loads of charisma to mask that.

Homicide has that charisma and he'd get over like gangbusters in ECW with Heyman's brush. The upside of Homicide is that he isn't one dimensional.

I would be very disapointed if he's just booked as a hardcore gangsta brawler. I'm not saying that he should strip himself of his identity, but if he's just used in brawls, I'd be disapointed.

They would have Homicide as the perfect image of the NEW ECW. A hybrid of technical skills alongside a vicious streak that can easily snap and fight you.

Punk/Homicide would be a mistake going into it cold. That's a key match for the future if Homicide does sign on.

I do think Punk will be the lone new star to arrive @ ONS2.

I wouldn't model him exactly after New Jack. Keep the hardcore side of it, a side that Homicide rarely has an opportunity to show in the United States. Give him some catchy theme music that will get the crowd hyped. However, give Homicide the opportunity to show what he can do in the ring as well which is where I believe he will take the "hardcore gangster" gimmick to a level that New Jack could never hope to reach. It will show that Homicide can match a guy like Kurt Angle move-for-move inside the ring and a guy like Mick Foley chairshot-for-chairshot outside of the ring. If he can throw in a couple of balcony dives, that's even better.

Speaking of New Jack, I hope they sign him.

Why? Aside from unintentional comedy value, what can he bring to the table that others can't?

Why? Aside from unintentional comedy value, what can he bring to the table that others can't?

Because he will bring back that old feel from ECW also.

Keep him in the role he was in the original ECW as a curtain jerker who would get the crowed hyped up for the rest of the event. Just thought of him using his staple gun again makes me smile. If they sign Homicide, maybe they can make the Gangstas 2K6, and have New Jack as a mentor type role.

Because he will bring back that old feel from ECW also.

Keep him in the role he was in the original ECW as a curtain jerker who would get the crowed hyped up for the rest of the event. Just thought of him using his staple gun again makes me smile. If they sign Homicide, maybe they can make the Gangstas 2K6, and have New Jack as a mentor type role.

I would be fine if Homicide showed up, took out New Jack quickly with a couple weapon shots and then finished New Jack off with the Cop-Killa and that was the end of New Jack's run in the new ECW.

Pairing Homicide with New Jack as a team would be a monumential waste of talent. Heyman knew New Jack was severely limited and worked around that, so why would he take a guy like 'Cide who has loads of talent and limit him to being New Jack's protege?

Jack just isn't worth the trouble.

I give a shit about what happens on TV, and to me New Jack on TV every now and then acting like the crazy bastard that he is would be entertaining. I've been watching clips of him in the ring and interviews of him, YouTube, Forever Hardcore, etc... and I laugh my ass off watching the guy.

I give a shit about what happens on TV, and to me New Jack on TV every now and then acting like the crazy bastard that he is would be entertaining.

The majority would agree.

New Jack = Entertaining TV.

There are 2 elements of ECW, there was the techincal wrestling part in the mid 90's with Malenko, Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit etc, then there was the extreme hardcore garbage wrestling in the late 90's. And New Jack was very good at the 2nd part.

Looks like this ECW is trying to mixed it both up.

I ordered it this afternoon. Sabu vs Rey sold it for me and I'm looking forward to the novelty of Taz choking Lawler out. Hopefully Punk shows up with a good debut as well.

What does it say about the build for RVD/Cena that I am actually almost more interested in Rey/Sabu. I think sometimes having no build at all is better than a mediocre build.

One thing that I think needs to be said is that ECW was hardly garbage style wrestling in the late 1990s. Sure, they had New Jack, Balls and Axl, guys like that. But they also had guys like Lance Storm, Jerry Lynn, Tajiri, Super Crazy and some guys who could mix it up in either style (RVD, Taz, Sabu sometimes).

If anything the most ECW got into the garbage wrestling was in 1996-97, that general area of time. That was after they had lost guys like Eddie, Malenko, Benoit but had yet to really bring in many scientific guys to replace them. And the guys they did sign like RVD and Storm were a couple of years away from making a big impact.

Pretty sure i'm gonna order this show. Last since the last ECW show.

If it was still $34.95 I'd consider the webcast.

But $40 is just ridiculous for three hours of entertainment. I'll avoid wrestling boards for two days, TiVo Raw, and then download ONS.

Just for the hell of it. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zy_rAeZWDWY

I totally forgot how loud those UFC chants were.

WWE had the crowd noise muted for the segment. That YouTube video was probably ripped straight from the satellite feed. It's not that you don't remember it. It was never there to remember.

I suppose that little shoulder brush that Charles Robinson did after the pin was a sign to the back that there may be some non-kayfabed trouble?
Hmmm, you could say that. *wink*

Back when I was posting the Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes here, Meltzer did a huge story on what happened between Kurt Angle and Dan Puder on that episode of Smackdown. It's a fantastic read even to this day.

Kurt Angle vs. Daniel Puder: The Whole Story (from the 11/15/04 Wrestling Observer Newsletter)

It's funny looking at that link in to the Observer article, because Heyman did exactly what should have happened in OVW, pushing Puder as an unstoppable monster who worked shoot-style, giving him an entourage of the Riggs Brothers as "Team Puder", and after a couple months of him destroying jobbers (sometimes teaming with Mr. Kennedy) the crowd was totally into him and the keylock was over huge as a finisher.

They bought him in his last match with Johnny Jeter (which was pretty good) as a badass who was a legit star, main eventer, and could win the OVW title.

The following was posted by Dave Meltzer in his Monday 6/5 update:

Not that this will stop rumors, but Daniel Puder is not facing Kurt Angle at ECW's One Night Stand, nor has there been any contact with him and WWE, nor is there likely to be any contact with him and WWE. Tracy Smothers wants the match. It won't be him either.