TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Rank albums by ________

the first three songs outclass the rest of the album, but the rest is a fairly inoffensive, lightweight affair.

and in regards to a previous thread, thats with all of these people saying an indie rock dudes cover of lets dance is better than the original? admittedly, i've never heard the newer (and apparently) hipper cover, but the original is fabulous.

the first three songs outclass the rest of the album, but the rest is a fairly inoffensive, lightweight affair.

and in regards to a previous thread, thats with all of these people saying an indie rock dudes cover of lets dance is better than the original? admittedly, i've never heard the newer (and apparently) hipper cover, but the original is fabulous.

It's by M. Ward on the fantastic album Transfigurations of Vincent. It's like a complete 180 from David Bowie's version. It's all hushed and folky and gravelly voiced. I like it more than the original, but meh.

Built to Spill:

1. Keep it Like a Secret

2. Perfect from Now On

3. Ancient Melodies of the Future

4. There's Nothing Wrong With Love

5. You In Reverse (It just doesn't move me.)

MORRISSEY

1.Your Arsenal

2.Southpaw Grammar

3.Vauxhall And I

4.Ringleader Of The Tormentors

5.Bona Drag

6.You Are The Quarry

7.Malajusted

(haven't heard Kill Uncle or Viva Hate yet)

Viva Hate will be up on that list when you hear it. It's one of my favorites.

Guest Crimson Idol

Black Sabbath - Their good albums

1) Heaven and Hell

2) Mob Rules

Shadows Fall

1. The War Within

Say what you will, but the flow between songs is the best they've ever done as just when you think there's a lowpoint the next song burts into your head. It closes with "Those Who Cannot Speak," which feels like it should be a few minutes longer (that epic feel, you know), and a lot of the songs most people know by them are on this one. "What Drives The Weak," "Inspiration on Demand," "Enlightened by the Cold," "The Power of I and I" (which has one of my favorite drum rolls in metal history)...all here.

2. Of One Blood

Their major label debut back in 2000. The first album with Brian on vocals, and though his singing isn't as good as Phil's, it fits the music better in an odd way. The first half of the album is just BAM-BAM-BAM: heavy, fast, melodic, and catchy. The first three songs are anthems through-and-through, whereas the latter half of the album slumps. "To Ashes" and "Serenity" make the last three tracks worthwhile (in all honesty, I don't even remember what track 9 is, since those two are tracks 8 and 10 respectively), so definitely a good debut for the local heroes.

3. Somber Eyes to the Sky

Perhaps their most METAL album. Almost all of the songs on this one sound as though In Flame or another Gothenburg band were recording them, and the poor production doesn't hide any of Jon or Matt's talent. The instrumental, "Lead Me Home," is one I used to have people listen to when they thought that Shadows Fall was just another one of those "scream into the mic and play fast" metal bands. It's just beautiful music through-and-through. The original version of "To Ashes" is on here, and though I feel the Of One Blood version is better, this one's still worth listening to. "Somber Angel" and "Suffer The Season" are good, solid metal tracks, and "Pure" is just such a good song that it's almost impossible to not love it. "Revel in My Loss," another song that was redone for Of One Blood, sounds better on this disc than on the major label debut, and that's because Phil's voice fit the flow of the music better than Brian's did.

4. Fallout From the War

Now, it's a good album. Doesn't have a lot of the dull moments that Balance had, and the production's just as good as War Within...but it's basically a bunch of b-sides. Half of the album is either a cover song or a song they released earlier in their career and re-recorded because they added some new tricks to it (unfortunately, none of them are from Somber, which is terrible since I'd like to see how they'd so "Somber Angel" now). The few originals on here aren't too bad, and some of them are actually really good songs, but they're more or less just a collection of riffs that Jon and Matt wrote while on tour and passing the time. When you open the liner booklet, the very first thing you read is a note from Brian explaining the album and how it's a bunch of b-sides, re-do's, and covers. It's basically a nice little demo EP that's been given the LP treatment. It doesn't feel like a complete album, which is why it's down here. Still better than Art of Balance, though.

5. The Art of Balance

Doesn't hold up well at all after repeated listens. "Idle Hands" is basically just a generic metalcore version of Metallica's "Battery," and though "Thoughts Without Words" was overplayed on metal shows all the time it's still a damn decent track. I dig the title track and "A Fire in Babylon," as well as the two instrumentals, "Casting Shade" and "Prelude to Disaster," and "Stepping Outside the Circle" is a goodie. The whole album just seems a little overproduced and simple, though, which was the complete opposite of what Somber and Of One Blood were.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

NOTE: Only ranking those I own (Except I'm not going to rank 20 KISS Albums)

Beatles:

1. White Album

2. Abbey Road

3. Sgt. Pepper's

4. Rubber Soul

5. Revolver

6. Magical Mystery Tour

System of a Down:

1. Toxicity

2. Hypnotize

3. Mesmerize

4. SOAD

5. Steal This Album

The Clash:

1. LONDON CALLING! (No competition!)

2. The Clash (UK Version)

3. Combat Rock

Jay Z:

1. The Blueprint

2. Reasonable Doubt

3. The Black Album

4. The Blueprint 2

KISS:

1. Alive

2. Destroyer

3. KISS

4. Alive 4: KISS Symphony

5. Love Gun

6. Dynasty

7. Rock and Roll Over

8. Revenge

9. Music From The Elder

10. Unmasked

Guest JumpinJackFlash

NOTE: Only ranking those I own (Except I'm not going to rank 20 KISS Albums)

Beatles:

1. White Album

2. Abbey Road

3. Sgt. Pepper's

4. Rubber Soul

5. Revolver

6. Magical Mystery Tour

System of a Down:

1. Toxicity

2. Hypnotize

3. Mesmerize

4. SOAD

5. Steal This Album

The Clash:

1. LONDON CALLING! (No competition!)

2. The Clash (UK Version)

3. Combat Rock

Jay Z:

1. The Blueprint

2. Reasonable Doubt

3. The Black Album

4. The Blueprint 2

KISS:

1. Alive

2. Destroyer

3. KISS

4. Alive 4: KISS Symphony

5. Love Gun

6. Dynasty

7. Rock and Roll Over

8. Revenge

9. Music From The Elder

10. Unmasked

Something that'd be great for discussion in a thread all of its own (and Lord knows it's been done on every messageboard that has a music forum), so here goes...

METALLICA

1. Master of Puppets

I can't find too many flaws in this album. Every song has something going for it. The two filler tracks, "The Thing That Should Not Be" and "Leper Messiah," are both redeeming lyrically (especially "The Thing...", which is obviously about Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos) and have their memorable musical moments. There's three of Metallica's classics off of this album alone ("Battery," "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)," and the title track), and was the last album that the late great Cliff Burton appeared on. It was the height of Metallica's underground career: virtually no radio airplay, very few TV spots (and, even then, they were latenight and usually interviews on syndicated programming), and the album preceded their last tour as anything other than a headlining act (opening for Ozzy). The pinnacle of their career, hands-down.

2. Ride the Lightning

Here is where we saw James, Cliff, Lars, and Kirk really come into their own as something other than your generic underground metal band from the early 80's. While most of their scene was still writing songs all about being "caught in a mosh" or screeching aloud about how metal is the best music alive, they were talking about political topics (the title track has a pretty obvious anti-death penalty message), suicide, the ever-present metal theme of global doom, Biblical passages, and classic works of American literature. The music was heavy, moderately fast, and catchy enough for anybody to really get into. Two classic songs that most every rock fan knows, one classic Metallica song, and the best instrumental they've ever written.

3. Kill 'Em All

The debut was a solid punch in the face considering that most of the "metal" world in 1983 was all about spandex, AquaNet, and getting laid. The foursome were heavy drinkers, huge fans of underground European metal, and they were angry. And the music showed it. It was fast, simple, and had an undeniable punk edge that few bands of the same era could match. Two classics in "The Four Horsemen" and "Seek And Destroy," and it was basically the start of American metal as more than just a way to get some trashy bleached-blonde hussy to give you head.

4. Load

Ya-ha, controversy! Sure, this was their "sell-out" (and I'm stressing the quotation marks) album. But you know what? A lot of Metallica fans actually love Load and just wish it wasn't by Metallica. It's a very solid hard rock album that has a nice flow to it, a killer opener, and the two epics ("Bleeding Me" and "The Outlaw Torn") are just that: epic. If you get into them in the least, you feel a small sense of catharsis when the songs come to their conclusion (something Metallica were once masters of). You have the radio hits in "Until It Sleeps" and "King Nothing," and Metallica going country with "Mama Said" where James' voice truly shines.

5. ...And Justice For All

The convo skullman and I had in the "new Metallica song" thread is actually what inspired me to post these. I don't feel that Justice is that good of an album. It has a few good songs, and all of them are listenable, but...the flow is terrible. James and Kirk just riff for the sake of riffing, the search for a new bassist (concluding with Jason Newstead) was all for nought as no basslines can even be heard on this album (which is funny, since most Metallica fans say that Justice was the last time you even heard basslines in a Metallica song), and the whole album came out exactly like it was recorded: a release of anger from pent-up frustrations over Cliff's demise. It was James, Lars, and Kirk venting, and that's it. Sure, it's their true breakthrough album, but that doesn't mean that the title track needed to be nearly 10 minutes long when every riff when played twice in a row instead of four times would make it a much tighter, stronger song and cut the time in half.

6. Metallica, better known as The Black Album

This is the one Metallica album that I can listen to fully, enjoy most of the songs, but loathe as a whole. The flow is much better than Justice, the songs are good hard rock, but there's something missing. That something is the emotion that poured out from the first three albums from a band that was trying to make it huge on their own terms. They didn't want it as much as they did just 4 years prior. They already had fame and fortune, so what is there to be angry about? They were all getting married or partying constantly, and besides "Enter Sandman" and "The Unforgiven," what songs that are well-known from this album even stand up for a full listen? "Nothing Else Matters" is overplayed and too redundant to even truly be considered a good song, "Sad But True" is decent lyrically but mediocre musically, and the only remotely speed/thrash metal-y songs on it, "Through The Never" and "The Struggle Within" (the latter of which I will always feel as though it was written for Justice and just kept in the vault to be used on this album), are so overproduced that it takes away any true feeling from them. That was always a strongpoint of Metallica, and good metal in general: it was produced just enough to give it a raw edge, not overproduced to sound like a Bon Jovi or a Whitesnake record. Fuck Bob Rock. The only song I even really like from this album anymore is "My Friend Of Misery," which stands out because it doesn't really sound a whole lot like the rest of the album.

7. ReLoad

A bunch of songs recorded during the Load sessions that didn't make the cut, so instead of writing entirely new tunes, Metallica just released these. Sure, "Fuel" is a good bloodpumper, as is "The Memory Remains," and "The Unforgiven II" isn't that bad of a song-sequel, but...the album is completely dead after the fourth song. "Fixxxer" and "Low Man's Lyric" are decent but come off as retreads of "The Outlaw Torn" and "Mama Said" respectively. At least the album sounds good, which is something I can't say for the next one.

8. St. Anger

It's a steaming pile of shit. The same problems with Justice are true with Anger, only even more so. The songs go on for FARRRR too long with no change in them, whereas at least the songs on Justice had solo's to make the songs seem more interesting. What we got was a collection of songs, the majority of which are over 7 minutes in length, that are jams done by the band simply to try to write new songs. Instead of writing a plethora of terrible lengthy songs, the boys really should have seen what was good in each song and accentuated those parts while working on things to cover for the negatives.

I even believe in the documentary about Anger's recording, Some Kind Of Monster, Kirk gets into a pretty heated argument with Lars and James over the lack of solo's in the songs. He brought up how it would date the record and make it so that it didn't sound like a Metallica album. Which was entirely true. I spit on the early previews of the album that compared its sound to that of Max-era Sepultura and Justice (which was right in a weird sense).

Might as well do one of these. I'll do my Metallica in order:

Not counting S & M or Garage Inc.

1. Master Of Puppets

2. Ride The Lightning

3. Black Album

4. Kill 'Em All

5. Justice

6. Reload

7. Load

8. St. Anger

I actually enjoyed Corey's breakdown there. I've been putting off seriously getting into Metallica for too long; I just listened to the songs the classic rock station would play. Those and "Orion."

The only song I even really like from this album anymore is "My Friend Of Misery," which stands out because it doesn't really sound a whole lot like the rest of the album.

I'm curious, did you see the documentary Classic Albums: Metallica? It has a nice bonus piece on Newstead's original concept for the bass intro. He played the opening the way he intended it to be but you could tell he was not pleased that the other band members modified it. He didn't also seem happy about it being one of his only writing credits while in Metallica. It makes me wonder what his other ideas would have been like.

Nah, I never picked it up. The "Classic Albums" ep, I mean. Never really interested me too much. Now it sorta does.

But I remember hearing Jason's bass solo that lead to the "My Friend Of Misery" intro on Live Shit: Binge & Purge, and being floored by just how good it was. It wasn't Cliff Burton "Anesthesia - (Pulling Teeth)," but it wasn't lame. Newstead should have had a HELL of a lot more input into the music, considering how much Burton had and how in the 90's it seemed the only one doing more than collecting a paycheck WAS Jason (ie. he seemed to actually enjoy himself during performances).

Guest Felonies!

Yeah, seems like Jason always got dicked over by the rest of the band. I'm sure he was well aware he could never replace Cliff Burton; he didn't need to be so marginalized as well. What if Pink Floyd did that to Dave Gilmour?

Okay. Tindersticks. I'm gonna write out my thought process on this one. The first album is probably the best--City Sickness, Jism, Raindrops, The Not Knowing, Paco de Renaldo's Dream, Drunk Tank (the organ sounds so urgent!), and Patchwork are all some of my favorites--but ranking the first album at #1 gives the idea that it's been all downhill from there.

The second album seems to employ more eclectic instrumentation than the first, which probably has the most electric guitar of their catalogue. Lots more organ, Rhodes piano, vibes, and horns here. Production-wise, this feels much smoother and calmer than the first, which I'd probably attribute to less electric guitar and more brushwork on the drums. It's only really on "Talk To Me" that it feels as jarring and noisy as the first album often got.

Nenette et Boni is a soundtrack, so maybe it's not fair to judge it as an album, but it's actually a pretty good standalone piece. It's mostly composed of variations on the second track, "La Passerelle," so you get a nice sense of familiarity throughout the listening experience without getting totally bored with it. It's almost entirely instrumental, though, except for a reprise of "Tiny Tears" from the second album, which is barely different from its previous version. I'm certain that it won't be at #8.

Curtains is just going through the motions of the second album, basically. "(Tonight) Are You Trying To Fall In Love Again" has an identical introduction to "Snowy in F# Minor" from the second album, except maybe like 10 beats per minute slower. "Ballad of Tindersticks" is about one-tenth as interesting of a spoken-word piece as "My Sister" was. "A Marriage Made In Heaven" is inferior to the previous "Travelling Light," even though I love those trumpets. Except maybe "Fast One," there's nothing really bad here, but it's mainly just retreads, which they were clearly aware of, since Simple Pleasure was such a departure.

Departure indeed! Simple Pleasure starts with handclaps! It doesn't have the breadth of the eponymous albums, with only nine tracks to the first album's twenty-one, but nothing really feels like filler this way. They hadn't really worked all the kinks out of the new formula, though: "Before You Close Your Eyes" is good, but it'll be better once reworked into "People Keep Comin' Around" for the next one. I like this album, but it seems like a lot of this jazzier stuff is done better on the next two albums. Oh, and I get a little burned out with the backing choir. I know it's integral to the more soulful sound they're trying to cultivate here, but I'd been burned out on it already as another one of those irritating Roger Waters songwriting crutches. At least Stuart Staples doesn't start listing.

Can Our Love...? is a companion to Simple Pleasure, basically. "Dying Slowly" could've been a song on the first album with that string section, but the horns justify its placement. The title track might be taking the soul thing overboard. "People Keep Comin' Around" is a rewrite of "Before You Close Your Eyes" and The Doors' "Riders on the Storm," but it's better. I say it's the bassoon and the horns doing that awesome sfortzando to open it. Should've been the leadoff track.

Trouble Every Day is another soundtrack, and the title track basically appears three times. The other stuff is interesting and creepy, but I like the other soundtrack better.

Waiting for the Moon kinda ties the two eras together nicely. It's not as expansive as the first three albums, and the songs are generally a lot tighter than the ones on COL?/SP. Except "Just a Dog," which sounds kind of goofy, I don't really think there's very much wrong with this album at all.

So, I end up copping out anyway.

T-1 first and second albums

3 Waiting for the Moon

4 Can Our Love...?

5 Simple Pleasure

6 Nenette et Boni

7 Curtains

8 Trouble Every Day

Alice In Chains:

1. Dirt

2. Jar Of Flies

3. Alice In Chains

4. Sap

5. Facelift...AIC fans will think I'm nuts, but this seems like nothing more than a "get our feet in the door" kind of album and "Dirt" is what they REALLY wanted to do.

2Pac (just the stuff he made before he died, none of this crap they threw together to keep making money off of his name):

1. Me Against The World

2. 2pacalypse Now

3. Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z.

4. All Eyez On Me (too overly bloated, 1 disc would have been enough)

5. that Makaveli crap...boring BORING album

RATM:

1. Evil Empire

2. Battle For Los Angeles

3. Rage Against The Machine

4. Renegades

Korn:

1. Life Is Peachy

2. Korn

3. Follow The Leader

4. Untouchables

5. Issues

6. Take A Look In The Mirror

7. See You On The Other Side...they needed a change in the worst way...this wasn't the right change

Ice Cube (haven't heard the latest one so it's not on here):

1. Death Certificate

2. Amerikkka's Nightmare

3. The Predator

4. War

5. Lethal Injection

6. Peace...strays too far away from his "Gangsta" stuff, gets too hip hop radio-ish

RATM:

1. Evil Empire

2. Battle For Los Angeles

3. Rage Against The Machine

4. Renegades

Wow...my list is pretty much the exact opposite. I'd have Renegades at 2, s/t at 1, Battle of LA at 3, and Evil Empire at 4. I can't stand Empire since it's pretty much all Tom doing noise while Zach screams about more things he wants to be militant about...but doesn't really take any action towards.

Korn:

1. Life Is Peachy

2. Korn

3. Follow The Leader

4. Untouchables

5. Issues

6. Take A Look In The Mirror

7. See You On The Other Side...they needed a change in the worst way...this wasn't the right change

KORN CHANGED?! Also, I don't see what's special at all about the s/t or Life is Peachy. I hear bad music that's just noise thrown together with some decent drumming and Jon pissing and moaning about how he got beat up in high school for being a fucking tool. Only album I can listen to and not feel 100% irritated (and not even irritated in the good way) during is Follow The Leader since they at least took some time to make sure the songs had some flow to them.

Something has to be said for their damned decent attempt at covering all three parts of "Another Brick in the Wall," though.

Wow...my list is pretty much the exact opposite. I'd have Renegades at 2, s/t at 1, Battle of LA at 3, and Evil Empire at 4. I can't stand Empire since it's pretty much all Tom doing noise while Zach screams about more things he wants to be militant about...but doesn't really take any action towards.

shit, Laz, that's every RATM album. "Empire" had catchier tunes

KORN CHANGED?! Also, I don't see what's special at all about the s/t or Life is Peachy. I hear bad music that's just noise thrown together with some decent drumming and Jon pissing and moaning about how he got beat up in high school for being a fucking tool. Only album I can listen to and not feel 100% irritated (and not even irritated in the good way) during is Follow The Leader since they at least took some time to make sure the songs had some flow to them.

Something has to be said for their damned decent attempt at covering all three parts of "Another Brick in the Wall," though.

well, if you can manage to stomach through it, you could tell they were trying to go in a different direction with that album and it just plain sucked. Hey, I liked Korn for a time, not afraid to admit it.

Black Lushus:

See, that's why I like the s/t and Renegades. The s/t actually had SONGS, and aside from parts of them that were just noise (like the "solo's," if you can call them that), they were actually good hard rock tunes for the most part. I can still pop it in and listen to it all the way through, only cringing during "Settle For Nothing" (my least favorite RATM song, oddly enough, is on my favorite of their albums). Renegades worked because it was a bunch of covers, many of which were superb. I don't care for Empire or Battle of LA beyond 2 or 3 songs per album, if even.

And as far as KoRn...they've never really tried to do much besides write awful-sounding music with whiny lyrics. Okay, Jon, you had a fucked-up childhood...you're in your late 30's now, so get the fuck over it.

Tominator:

I would...but outside of Countdown and Rust In Peace, I can't really listen to a full Megadeth album. Not even Peace Sells. I can tell you, though, that Rust would be #1 and Risk would be at the bottom...with Killing is our Business just above it, prolly.

Tominator:

I would...but outside of Countdown and Rust In Peace, I can't really listen to a full Megadeth album. Not even Peace Sells. I can tell you, though, that Rust would be #1 and Risk would be at the bottom...with Killing is our Business just above it, prolly.

Here's how I'd rank them:

1) Rust In Peace

Easily their best work.

2) Countdown To Extinction

I can play this album straight through and enjoy it. Nice flow. One of my favorite albums that I grew up with.

3) Peace Sells..But Who's Buying?

Quality stuff here. Could easily be their second best album, but I put Countdown at #2 for personal preferrence.

4) Youthanasia

If you bought the cassette of Youthanasia then Side 1 is what you'd want to listen to; from Reckoning Day to Elysian Fields. I like the overall sound of this album.

5) Cryptic Writings

Like Youthanasia, the first few tracks are pretty good. Trust, Almost Honest and Use The Man were a good way to start off the album. Listening to this you can really tell that Dave was trying to write songs that were less heavy and more for radio airplay.

6) So Far, So Good..So What?

A few memorable tracks (In My Darkest Hour, Anarchy In The UK cover).

7) The System Has Failed

#7 and #8 could really be interchangeable to me. I like the albums but for some reason they just don't jump out at me.

8) The World Needs A Hero

See #7

9) Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good

Doesn't really do anything for me.

10) Risk

The "experimental" album. Some friends of mine have said that this was Dave's response to Metallica changing their style with Load and Re-Load. Either way, it's a miss.

Excluding: Hidden Treasures, Capitol Punishment, Rude Awakening, Still Alive...And Well?, and Greatest Hits

EDIT: I used the original recordings as my basis, not the remastered ones. It's nice that they included some demos and whatnot, but I didn't care for the remastering.

I like your Megadeth list, Tom, but I'd put Cryptic Writings above Youthanasia, personally. "Almost Honest" is a great track. Throw in "Vortex" and "Have Cool Will Travel" onto that list as well.

With Tindersticks, I can understand why Curtains is towards the end of most people's lists, despite its being fucking good, but I <-8 'Bathtime' soooo hard. It's their perfect single.

Guest Felonies!
With Tindersticks, I can understand why Curtains is towards the end of most people's lists, despite its being fucking good, but I <-8 'Bathtime' soooo hard. It's their perfect single.

I like "Bathtime" and "Bearsuit," a song that makes me feel gross. I can't explain it. "Rented Rooms" has the line "we'll go fuck in the bathroom," which is good. As for being a perfect single, "City Sickness" or "Patchwork" is better at that. As for the album, it just feels too Tindersticks-by-numbers to be in the top half.

Guest Felonies!

The single version of Patchwork with the glockenspiel and tambourine is better than the album version with the more subdued guitar. That should've been the one on the album, it fits the mood better.

I can't really get into Peace Sells that much. Outside of the title track and the music to "Wake Up Dead," I just don't care for it. The cover of "I Ain't Superstitious" is a nice little diddy...but I don't listen to Megadeth to hear blues rock, I listen to Megadeth to hear Dave trade shreds with the other guitarist and just go nuts. Which is odd, because some of their best full albums (as was noted by tominator) are their 90's albums.