TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Ultimate Fight Night V

Bonnar's got somewhat of a lanky frame and has a good 4 inches on Rashad, height-wise so I think Rashad might have a more difficult time holding him down then people think.

Bonnar, triangle choke R2.

Another problem for Rashad is that he has no viable offensive weapons against Bonnar, unless he can unleash a Hughes/Ignatev style slam. 2 of Bonnar's greatest strengths are his chin & toughness, as I've yet to see him look seriously hurt or close to quitting in a fight. He's going to bring the fight to Rashad all night, and is likely to catch him with something before long.

Does anyone know if they'll be replaying this event later in the night/week? I won't be home until about 10 and just want to know if I'm going to be screwed, or if I can catch it some other time.

Leben has a very strong chin, but I don't think he's faced a great striker like Anderson Silva or has enough submission skills to beat him. Anderson Silva beaten much better submission artist like Jeremy Horn and beat them.

This is Leben's toughest test, and I'm got my money Silva by TKO Cuts or UD.

Basically, the fight is Leben's to lose. He has the iron chin to walk through most of what Anderson will throw, and decent enough wrestling to take him down and nap on him. However, if he tries to stand and trade, he's gonna' get outpointed badly and likely cut.

When did Leben become so good? Everyone is talking about how Silva is a world class fighter and a possible threat to Rich Franklin and now Leben may be able to handle him? Is Leben world class now?

It's a combination of

- Leben being slightly underrated (most people think of him as a skilless brawler, when in reality he has decent takedowns & ground control).

- Silva being pretty overrated (Horn is the only Top 10 middleweight he's defeated, which was helped by Horn managing to outdo himself again by tearing his groin).

- Leben matching up well with Silva (Silva has KO power, but Leben has one of the best chins in MMA, and has pretty much never been badly hurt; this will definitely help him in closing the distance and getting a takedown and holding Anderson down, whose bottom game is poo).

When did Leben become so good? Everyone is talking about how Silva is a world class fighter and a possible threat to Rich Franklin and now Leben may be able to handle him? Is Leben world class now?

People are not as sold as Anderson Silva but the majority of MMA fans think Anderson Silva is going to take this one.

Anderson Silva have beaten much better fighters then Leben, like Lee Murray, Jeremy Horn, Carlos Newton.

Lei Tong from what I've seen is an Anderson Silva hater. I think Silva take's it easy, he's has all the right tools to beat Leben, based on the Luigi, Ken-Flo, and Patrick Cote fights.

And by the way, despite what you think Lei Tong, Leben is not going to lay and pray with Silva. He bashes Koscheck for it, why would he do it? He wants to give the fans a fun fight.

Newton was never a good MW and Murray's entire reputation was based on KO'ing an old Pele after getting his BUTT handed to him beforehand.

Also, Leben may care about the fans, but he knows what he has to do to win. He's not retarded enough to think that getting his face carved up will be better for his rep than a lackluster JD.

Lee Murray also taped out Jorge Rivera in less then 2 min's, but he's problay best known to MMA fans, for knocking out Tito Ortiz outside the club. Either way, alot of MMA fans from my understanding thought he was a Top 10 MW at the time.

If you think Leben has all the tools to beat Silva, care to put down a friendly board wager? Avater bet or somthing small?

Guest Brian

I think most think Silva's very good, but more than likely Leben's size advantage is going to be another problem. Silva's best chance is by cut stoppage. Leben's going to take this to the ground quickly, stak the cage, and push off. Silva's looked fairly lackluster from his back.

Sometimes it seems that EHME's sole purpose on this board is to goad people into avatar/sig bets.

Leben doing the bare minimum to win against Luigi Fiorvanti puts your "Leben isn't going to lay and pray" in repute, I'd say.

Guest Brian
Sometimes it seems that EHME's sole purpose on this board is to goad people into avatar/sig bets.

Leben doing the bare minimum to win against Luigi Fiorvanti puts your "Leben isn't going to lay and pray" in repute, I'd say.

Different style match-up, I say. Luigi was a threat on the ground, Silva won't be. Leben will still probably lead to a decision, but he'll get some good elbows in.

Rivera was never more than a MW gatekeeper, and showed his utter brilliance by diving into Murray's triangle as though Lee was in possession of some bomb ass pussy.

Oh, and fine. I'll take whatever bet. No biggie.

Tong, all I ask is that EHME gets something uber-gay for his sig or avatar. Make him rock an ATT avatar or somethin'.

Actually, that's what EHME's punishment for you should be.

For EHME to think Leben only cares about pleasing fans; in his latest interview on the Sherdog Beatdown, he talked about how he cares about winning and a good gameplan, and that the sport isn't just about pleasing fans. He stated what his gameplan would be on the radio; take him down and pound his face in. Expect him to take Silva down, but expect little pounding of the face, and more LnP'ing. I said it when it was announced and I'll say it again, Leben by LnP UD. I hope I'm wrong, but everything else I've heard leads to this. Silva can technically be a WW.

This card isn't looking too good to me, but then again UFN's are rarely good.

This one can't possibly be as bad as the last one (4/4 in the decison dept.) But I can see 3/4 fights (Bonnar/Evans, Goulet/Cummo and Silva/Leben) all going the distance. I don't see that in the cards with Hominick/Gurgel.

Prelims –NOT televised live on Spike TV

Middleweight Bout Jorge Santiago (185) vs. Justin Levens (186)

Light Heavyweight Bout Kristian Rothaermel (205) vs Rob MacDonald (203)

Welterweight Bout Jon Fitch (171) vs Thiago Alves (171)

Light Heavyweight Bout Branden Lee Hinkle (205) vs Jason Lambert (206)

Welterweight Bout Dave Menne (170) vs Josh Koscheck (171)

Main Card - televised live on Spike TV

Lightweight Bout Jorge Gurgel (155) vs Mark Hominck (154)

Light Heavyweight Bout Rashad Evans (205) vs Stephan Bonnar (205)

Welterweight Swing Bout Jonathan Goulet (169) vs Luke Cummo (169)

Middleweight Bout Anderson Silva (185) vs Chris Leben (186)

courtesy of UFC.com

Silva's going to win this by this cuts. Just watch. Even Leben said it himself, he's got paper skin. I like Leben, and wouldn't care if he won, but I think Silva's got this on lock down.

Loser choses the others avi for 2 weeks. And no Lord Of The Children, I don't post here on the sole purpose of making avi bet's, but it just makes things more interesting. Your still 0-1 against me.