TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007

::laughs derisively and goes back to playing HCTP::

Yeah have fun playing an outdated game.

It's still the most fun game in the series to play, at least in my opinion. And heck, if my N64 worked I'd still play the AKI games, those remain fun to this day.

:continues to play No Mercy on his working N64:

So far the storylines in my season as Kennedy have been:

Special guest ref between Benoit/Taker, and the ensuing storyline after helping Benoit win

followed by

becoming #1 contender to go after the world heavyweight title held by...Chris Benoit. And Johnny Nitro "helps" me as my image consultant

followed by

Rey trying to prove himself as a world heavyweight title contender, but Teddy Long shoots him down saying he already has 2 contenders - Chris Benoit and The Undertaker

I'm SERIOUSLY getting sick of fighting them by this point.

Wow, that is almost exactly where my Rey story was going.

I started all over again with Shelton. Then I took a nap.

I really shouldn't have bought this game because it is basically just like 06.

so as someone with a) no PS2/360 and b) a big fan of the DOR game engine... how does this game play compared? And, has ANY of the SD series games ever had an engine similar to the DOR/N64 games? Gameplay is really all that matters to me (well, that and an extensive CAW). :)

Ummm, so I noticed that Joey Mercury has his fur coat for his enterance and wears his belt from his crotch. Can my CAW have enterance attire and wear a belt like that too?

Don't think so. That would be cool if they could though.

I can't have a fucking enterance attire? Gay.

Oh. My. GOD. My match at No Way Out:

Mr Kennedy and Melina vs. Randy Orton and Jillian in a mixed tag match....for the fucking #1 contendership to the World Heavyweight Title

The environmental finishing moves are cool, although it's silly that EVERYONE (I first discovered this finisher existed with Khali) can do Shane McMahon's announce table elbow drop finisher.

Ending a parking lot brawl by locking someone in a casket, putting it in a hearse (which has Boogeyman hiding in the back) and watching it drive away is funny.

God, I'm such a fucking loser.

Lost the mixed tag match for the #1 contenders spot when I got DQed for hitting Orton with a chair......despite the fact that the ref was down.

So then I got sent into a storyline where

I was teaming up with Rey, going against MNM for the tag titles. They backed out week after week, until finally I won a non-title match against them the week before WM. Got a tag title ladder match at WM, and lost when I had the title almost down, and then Nitro went from down on the ground to automatically on top of the ladder suplexing me down.

So that's 2 big PPV losses thanks to two glitches. fun.

so as someone with a) no PS2/360 and b) a big fan of the DOR game engine... how does this game play compared? And, has ANY of the SD series games ever had an engine similar to the DOR/N64 games? Gameplay is really all that matters to me (well, that and an extensive CAW). :)

I can't speak for this one, but I've played the last 4 of them and they play very differantly. I much prefer the DOR engine, but it looks like it's dead

Don't know if this was brought up yet, but does anyone know how to use the exp. points on your created character. I have like 20,000 so far from the seasons mode and whenever I try change attributes or the attributes in the locker room, it says that I have none.

I don't think you can. But if you win the GM Trophy in GM Mode you unlock infinite points.

Don't know if this was brought up yet, but does anyone know how to use the exp. points on your created character. I have like 20,000 so far from the seasons mode and whenever I try change attributes or the attributes in the locker room, it says that I have none.

I don't think you can. But if you win the GM Trophy in GM Mode you unlock infinite points.

The points are for editing stable/tag team experience for that superstar.

This is seriously the first Smackdown game that I don't think I'm buying. There are pretty much no improvements from 06. They removed countless moves from the CAW system, have a terribly outdated roster, moved to a season mode with preposterous storylines, apparently altered the system to the point where it's near impossible for cruiserweights to defeat the super-heavyweights....but oh yeah, they made it possible that you can run up a ladder and clothesline someone off.

Sorry. The idea that you could catch someone in mid-air and manuever them through a table is cool and all, but certainly not worth my money. Yukes needs to make more drastic changes in between games -- adding the GM mode was a positive step last year, removing the Triple Tag Tornado Ladder Match in favor of a Money-in-the-Bank match this year is not. I just can't justify buying this when it seems almost identical to 06.

Agreed. The lack of CAW moves really bothers me as my guys are typically varied in their offense and having the C-4 and the Curb stomp doesn't make up for that. Not to mention all the things they've inexplicably taken out (KOTR tournaments, 3 stages of hell, Hardcore Time Limit, create an animation, now the 3 way tag team ladder match) has really turned me off on buying any game till I see something taking advantage of the X-Box 360/PS3/Wii hardware.

Between 06, HCTP, and DOR2, I've go more than enough to get my wrestling game fix.

I can't speak for this one, but I've played the last 4 of them and they play very differantly. I much prefer the DOR engine, but it looks like it's dead

yeah thought so. It blows that we probably won't see another DOR game too (especially one with as many bells n whistles as the SD series seems to get). bleh bleh. SD v RAW 07 seems like a sad waste of money.

Guys, I read all the negative stuff and decided to pick it up last night anyway. This game is not bad at all, and the controls and actual gameplay is pretty damn tight. Wrestlers stay down realistically longer after bumps, and the Money In THe Bank match is fun. I had a MITB match last night and RVD won it after 32 minutes.

I can't really say i've seen any negative things or downgrades. The only thing I'll say is that in my Super Crazy vs. Mark Henry match i couldn't hurt Henry with any strikes at all, not even running ones. It was still a good fun match though because i had to think of creative ways to hurt him. I hear alot about freezing issues, announcing wrong wrestlers, glicthes and JR and Ross saying the wrong thing, but honestly that may be for a batch of copies cause I haven't had a single problem yet, and I turned off commentary anyway. Also, I switched the controls back to last years version, because, at least for the first night i played it i havent been able to adjust well to the analog control. I haven't tried CAW, or Season yet so i'll see how that turns out.

All in all, I would recommend this game . A much better pace in the matches, and better selling.

I'm not sure what the deal is about this game not being different. I love the new controls in the game, and to me it feels way different. I know that the basics are pretty much the same, but the "total control" moves are great, as are the hot spots and that sort of thing. The ladder match seems to be way improved, with a kickass new animation where you set up one ladder and run up it. It's also a lot easier to do top rope moves, including top rope finishers. It's also the first time I've been online with a wrestling game, since I have Xbox Live.

I found this funny:

In the storyline with Rey trying to get a title shot, Taker attacked him after a match and had him set up to do a Tombstone, and Rey countered it with a headbutt to Taker's crotch.

I'm sure it was discussed within the last page or two, but the one thing that really pisses me off is the weight system. Rey Mysterio, who's a 90, can't do jack shit to any of the heavyweights like Taker, Kane, or JBL. Even a dropkick or the TOE KICK of doom leaves no effect other than them just brushing it off.

One small thing I really like, though, is that you can immediate start the challenges straight from the challenge mode menu without having to manually change all the options.

Okay, I played a copy tonight.

GOOD

1) The total control concept is a good one. I do think the addition is welcome.

2) The ladder match layout has been improved. I like that more skill is required to grab the title, and the whole running-up-the-ladder thing is impressive. It's not perfect but it's very good.

3) The changes they have made with the tables. Great idea with giving special moves through the table, and little touches like slowly unfolding the table to set it up and dragging it around add to it. Nice touch-up to the thing.

BAD

1) Glitchy. Unbelievably glitchy. The commentators constantly -- not just once or twice, but constantly -- mentioning wrestlers not even in the match. When it's RVD vs. John Cena, I don't know why they're talking about the Undertaker and Chris Benoit. Lillian Garcia's voice announcing wrestlers to the ring but, when you see the announcer in the ring, it's suddenly Tony Chimmel. Wrestlers magically transporting to the top of the ladder and superplexing someone off despite previously just standing on the mat and pressing L1. This game clearly wasn't tested and I can't remember a Smackdown game with this many technical errors.

2) I think the controls are flawed. I don't like the idea of using the right analog stick to grapple people. It seems to have totally thrown off the collision detection. I can't count how many times I tried to grab a wrestler and had my hands magically go through them. Totally frustrating.

3) Stamina/Pain -- Now I know these factors were included to provide the game with more realism and in previous games they worked, but in this one, I think they pushed it a little too far. To the point where it actually damages the fun factor of the game. If the match goes long, your stamina meter will go to zero -- despite being full -- if you connect with a weapon twice. You get hit with a simple dropkick, you're down on the mat for a full thirty seconds, if not longer. It winds up making the matches a total chore to get through.

4) I had the same problem with the top rope moves as I did with the game last year. I don't know if it was just my issue but the guys didn't stay down when I went for a frog splash or an elbow drop. No reason why this wasn't completely fixed up to be the way it was.

5) I hate the little man/big man thing. Hate it. Even if I'm Rey Misterio, my punches should damage -- at least to a minor extent -- somebody like Mark Henry.

6) The general laziness Yukes showed with this project. The celebration for winning a Buried Alive is exactly the same? Guy directs bulldozer to lower, dirt falls, guy holds his arms out, lightning hits, guy spits on the grave, guy holds his arms up, end scene. For fuck's sake, come up with a new step or something. To just regurgitate the same exact celebration from the last game is crazy. And no music for Bam Bam Bigelow? I thought we were done with that whole "have the legend walk down the ramp to silence" thing. Give him some cheap knockoff music. Something! Little touchups like these could have helped improve the game but things like this make it seem like Yukes simply didn't put any effort in this one.

I didn't get a chance to play the CAW mode, so I can't provide an opinion. Horrible game? No, not by any means. But it's not an improvement over 06. Not by any means. It's become the wrestling equivalent of Madden. Add a few bells-and-whistles every year without any fundamental game changes and expect people to still buy the product. Except Yukes actually removes options every year for reasons nobody knows. They don't care about improving the product anymore or making it a must-buy. They just want to get it ready for that November deadline, even if it has to have outdated rosters, noticeable glitches, and poor mechanics.

If you have Smackdown vs. Raw 06, it's not a buy.

Edited by NYU

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

All the negatives make me more excited about the TNA Impact game in March.

In regards to the announcers talking about people not in the match, I think that may be on purpose, and actually not a glitch. I thought the same thing at first, but then while playing with a friend (who only occasionally watches wrestling) he said somethign to the effect of "glad they finally fixed that" in regards to the commentators only talking about the people in the match.

I just sort of looked at him, and he said "well its not like they only talk about the people in the match in real life"...to which I actually hadn't even thought of. Maybe they did do it on purpose, especially if the creators were thinking like he did.

there's a chance it's a big glitch (although I don't think they'd leave one as glaring as that) but, I don't think so..or Ill at least assume that it's not, and they were actually trying to make it more realistic.

edit- ANother thing I'm not getting is, how does this game have a "terribly outdated roster" as someone above said? (especialy since the people that would normally be considered 'outdated' have all made returns and such...Boogeyman/Khali/Daivari)

Tell me, what current WWE main eventers are missing? (Other then any of the ECW guys) Because I don't see anyone. Looking at the WWE.com rosters, the closest thing to anyone 'important' being missing are Jeff Hardy/Spirit Squad/Cryme Tyme on the RAW side. 2 out of 3 which of course have good reason for not being in the game. And the tag champs on SD. None of which are of that great an interest..and by that, I'm referring to their main event status.

I don't think it's outdated at all.

All the negatives make me more excited about the TNA Impact game in March.

Is it in March? I'm surprised we haven't seen any screenshots or any information about the game has been released yet.

Quick question, I created a character and won the World Heavyweight title but it's not around my waist during my entrance? Does that mean CAWs can't wear the belt anymore in this game? Cause if so, that sucks ass.

Damn, its basically impossible to win anything in season mode with a new CAW. I keep getting my ass handed to me and I can't get up for anything. The way your just thrown in to face off guys like the Undertaker and Beniot is just bullshit. I need to put it on easy now.

Damn, its basically impossible to win anything in season mode with a new CAW. I keep getting my ass handed to me and I can't get up for anything. The way your just thrown in to face off guys like the Undertaker and Beniot is just bullshit. I need to put it on easy now.

I actually won those matches, albeit by flukes. Like the Taker match, I'd have lost if not for the fact he tombstoned me right into the ropes, thus breaking up the pin, which enabled me to bail out of the ring for the guillotine, and the finisher as I slid back in while he was staggering around.

I suck at GM mode...I've just left Season on Easy and keep running CAWs through to get the EXP since unlimited's only unlocked through GM mode, apparently.

Xbox Live isn't as nice as I thought it'd be. Had one guy beat and he disconnected; a second guy got himself counted out and proceeded to call me a bollock muncher in a voice message afterwards.